[ATTACH=CONFIG]48[/ATTACH]

I have to say this is one of my favorite Taiwanese series.
It's main cast is : Mike He, Rainie Yang and Kingone Wang.
The series can be found here :

My question is :

Did you like the series Devil Beside You?
I'm sorry, I have to confess I could never go past episode 6 (or 5 or 7, can't remember exactly).
The first thing that annoyed me was the acting, so terribly overdone. Everyone was saying how funny this is, but I didn't even crack a smile at this girl accepting to be some sort of slave and this predator-like guy and his obnoxious behaviour.

I know I sound harsh and I apologize. The drama has enough fans to tower over my humble opinion anyway.
:)
As my first Taiwanese series, I have to say I enjoyed it. Although at times I would cringe when I thought about their type of relationship, I still found the development of their romance to be cute.
I don't mind, as I said before..No need to apologize. It's one of my favorite TW-Dramas but to be sincere like in most Chinese dramas the action is slow, the acting horrid and the story childish. And let's not forget the movie effects that makes it even less appealing. Still, I liked it because it followed a little the action from the manga, who I have to say I enjoyed very much. Another point would also go to Kingone who is candy to the eyes..

Funny ? I didn't find it funny either..I more of less looked for similarities with the manga. But it seems to be one of the most popular TW-Dramas..Alongside Why Why Love,Meteor Graden, Mars and ISWAK.
minty710 wrote: I don't mind, as I said before..No need to apologize. It's one of my favorite TW-Dramas but to be sincere like in most Chinese dramas the action is slow, the acting horrid and the story childish. And let's not forget the movie effects that makes it even less appealing. Still, I liked it because it followed a little the action from the manga, who I have to say I enjoyed very much. Another point would also go to Kingone who is candy to the eyes..

Funny ? I didn't find it funny either..I more of less looked for similarities with the manga. But it seems to be one of the most popular TW-Dramas..Alongside Why Why Love,Meteor Graden, Mars and ISWAK.

Personally, I consider Autumn Concerto the best Taiwanese drama I've watched. It's well acted, without the usual frozen/starry-eyed expressions or silly giggles. Even Down With Love is much better acted, IMO. But I understand how nice it is to watch an action drama after one has read the manga (or the novel, for that matter) :D
Autumn Concerto was nice too..I also saw it. But I have to say the most disturbing and "real" Taiwanese drama I saw was Mars. It left me speechless. I've only read the first chapters from the manga and the live-action was as intense I expected it to be (I don't stand the main actress so I was surprised with myself that at least in that series I didn't find her annoying), still the manga is better. Also My Lucky Star as full of cliches as it was, it's another series more normal. Prince Turns To Frog was also nice in a way. Also Smiling Pasta..if you get past the fact that the main actress can't act (she shows no emotion whatsoever on her face). I've seen a few TW-dramas..but until now I can't say that a series has really impressed me enough. They can never compare to K-dramas for example..I can better compare them to Spanish/Portuguese telenovelas. But I'm waiting..I'm sure that one day I'll find it..that series that will make me say that at least one is amazing.
I saw Mars too, and I have to say I loved it - if ever it's possible to associate this verb to such a disturbing drama. The acting was really good, and the realism of it shocking but felt.
I also confess at liking Barbie Hsu, although she seems to be very much hated around. I think she can act, which is basically all I'm asking of an actress.
On the other hand, I can't stand Rainie Young, nor can I find any charm in Mike He, so I guess there's no way I'm ever going to like a drama with these two as main leads.

But it's great to confront ideas and tastes. Too often one comes across comments like "I love, love, love this!!!!" or "so cuuuuuuteeee" and nothing else. There's not much to learn about a drama that way.
:)
If I have to say for real I don't "love love love" any series. But I appreciate the ones that give me the feeling of "real" world. Something like : "This might happen" even if the phenomena is so abnormal, a drama that can play with my feelings, that can twist me and convince me that even bizarre things can happen. That's why I always said that TW-Dramas are the worst (C-dramas even more) because the actors don't play their roles well. Even in a series as good as Mars there where some elements missing. Maybe their writers haven't touched that step yet. Or maybe even their best actors are not as good yet. Actors like Mike He, Rainie Yang or Ariel Lin who are now popular can't act well! The one I'm putting my trust in right now is Kingone..I think he has potential, but it remains to be seen what he can really do. Maybe I should look at new actors..least known..and prey the next generation will be better.
Lola358 wrote: If I have to say for real I don't "love love love" any series. But I appreciate the ones that give me the feeling of "real" world. Something like : "This might happen" even if the phenomena is so abnormal, a drama that can play with my feelings, that can twist me and convince me that even bizarre things can happen. That's why I always said that TW-Dramas are the worst (C-dramas even more) because the actors don't play their roles well. Even in a series as good as Mars there where some elements missing. Maybe their writers haven't touched that step yet. Or maybe even their best actors are not as good yet. Actors like Mike He, Rainie Yang or Ariel Lin who are now popular can't act well! The one I'm putting my trust in right now is Kingone..I think he has potential, but it remains to be seen what he can really do. Maybe I should look at new actors..least known..and prey the next generation will be better.

I actually think you should look for older actors instead, lol. The problem with dramas is that the most popular are those with some idol in it. And idols, let's face it, are seldom stellar actors. Most of the time they are eye-candy, sexy, shiny people with fan-girls screaming and crying, but they certaintly don't shine for their performances, not in China or Taiwan, nor in Korea or Japan. And not in America or Europe, although the phenomenon is less popular here.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against good looking people: on the contrary, I do my good share of drooling. ;)
I landed on dramas from Chinese movies, and they have some outstanding actors. Many, actually. Which means that they expect different performances in dramas than what they require in movies.
Eggie wrote: I actually think you should look for older actors instead, lol.

I landed on dramas from Chinese movies, and they have some outstanding actors. Many, actually. Which means that they expect different performances in dramas than what they require in movies.

You might be right in both cases. I've seen a few older series (mostly Japanese) but I should look more into the matter.
Also I was a fan of Chinese movies when I was little (action movies though). I should also try watching some drama/romance ones as well.
I'm a fan of Rainie and Mike (epecially together ^^) so I remember is as quite good. But I tend to remember things better than it actually was ;) I disliked the last episodes though... I remember that :)
I remember I watched this drama quite fast so I don't think it was that bad if it got me hooked. :) However, I remember that it was sometimes ridiculous and at the end I just couldn't understand anymore why they couldn't be together - I mean, they weren't blood-related after all!

I think the character of Li Xiang (the girl who was after "Prince") was perhaps the most interesting one. I came to like her. Also I liked the fact that the basket ball captain Yun Yi (played by Kingone) wasn't too much like "a perfect nice boy", he had some edge to his character.

As for the main couple - perhaps Rainie isn't the best actress ever but I got used to her. Nevertheless, sometimes Qi Yue's character was just very annoying. And then Mike He. Well, I think he was one of the most important reasons I watched the whole drama through. :) I think I have a thing for the bad boys and his famous devilish smile wasn't that bad, really. ;)

Anyway, I don't think it was waste of my time, it was an entertaining drama despite (or because) of its partial naivity and ridiculousness. And the opening song was great!
I watched this very fast so I think I loved this :) Well of course I loved but as I've seen Hana Yori Dango before I think that this was very similar to it. (which made me like it even more XP)

wrote: I just couldn't understand anymore why they couldn't be together - I mean, they weren't blood-related after all!

so true :OO

wrote: I think I have a thing for the bad boys and his famous devilish smile wasn't that bad, really.

lol me too *____* After I watched this I decided to watch Why Why Love because I fell in love with his smirk smile XD

and the OP song was awesome *__* Does anyone know what song it is *wants to get it to my laptop*
I just recently watched this drama. I'm not a Rainie Yang fan, I don't like her acting, but the drama had me hooked for some reason. It was probably Mike He.

OnepBavememia wrote: I remember I watched this drama quite fast so I don't think it was that bad if it got me hooked. :) However, I remember that it was sometimes ridiculous and at the end I just couldn't understand anymore why they couldn't be together - I mean, they weren't blood-related after all!

I also remember thinking "What is the big deal? They met as adults! They are NOT siblings" I know if my mom re-married and the guy had a hot/cute/interesting, single son I wouldn't think about it twice.
I can't get past the first episode of this, but it is purely because of the poor copy I have - parts of scenes are missing, the sound keeps fading and the subtitles come up after the person finishes speaking and the next person starts... really frustrating. Although I am leaving it for now, I will be trying to find a better copy and give it another go.