Sleepninja wrote: This is really cool! Are you going to do one for the Japan section? ^^Here's a drama that takes place in the Qing Dynasty. (Well, late Ming/early Qing.lol)

Lorell wrote: Tbh, my "plan" is to make timetables for all 3 drama countries - Korea, China, Japan. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep updating them all, since I'm mostly focusing on Korean historical dramas/movies. But with help of others, we can update all :D

ATM I'm adding movies, later dramas. Do you think we should add not only Chinese dramas/movies but also ones created in Hong Kong?

CheerfulSoul wrote: Truly great idea since Chinese History tend to be ignored while it's the oldest and the most interesting one. However, most of their dramas aren't historically accurate and they do tend to use many fictional characters.

That being said, I will be doing a similar thread for Japanese dramas and films because I am more into Japanese history.

Lorell mentioned she would also be making one for the Japanese forum.
Can we help fill out the list? What's the bets way to do it?
I just noticed you haven't added Mulan yet. I've only seen the movie so far, but might as well add the drama too:

Lady General Hua Mulan - 1964 Hong Kong Movie
Mulan - 2009 Chinese Movie
Legend of Hua Mulan - 2013 Chinese Drama

Mulan's story takes place in 450 AD btw.

(Btw, I really recommend the 2009 movie to everyone! It's just amazing! )

If you need more help I can link and list all Zhang Yimou and Wong Kar Wai movies in a bit.
CheerfulSoul wrote: Truly great idea since Chinese History tend to be ignored while it's the oldest and the most interesting one. However, most of their dramas aren't historically accurate and they do tend to use many fictional characters.

That being said, I will be doing a similar thread for Japanese dramas and films because I am more into Japanese history.

Yes, even Korean dramas are not WHAT MUCH historical accurate. It's mostly about in that period dramas and movies are set.

I was planning to make such topic for Japan, but if you are more into Japanese dramas and you know Japanese history and you like the idea of such topic, sure go ahead! :D I'm happy somebody like this idea as I do and want to do this for other countries :D

(And that means that maybe somebody who knows jap/cn dramas better than I do would take care of updating topic :D )
Lorell wrote: Yes, even Korean dramas are not WHAT MUCH historical accurate. It's mostly about in that period dramas and movies are set.

I was planning to make such topic for Japan, but if you are more into Japanese dramas and you know Japanese history and you like the idea of such topic, sure go ahead! :D I'm happy somebody like this idea as I do and want to do this for other countries :D

(And that means that maybe somebody who knows jap/cn dramas would take care of updating topic :D )

If you ever need any help with your S. Korea or China timetable threads, Ari and I are moderators. We can help add things to the timetable. ^^
Sleepninja wrote: If you ever need any help with your S. Korea or China timetable threads, Ari and I are moderators. We can help add things to the timetable. ^^

Agree.
Sleepninja wrote: If you ever need any help with your S. Korea or China timetable threads, Ari and I are moderators. We can help add things to the timetable. ^^

Alrighty guys, I'll start linking the movies I know. If it's OK with Lorell, can you guys help add them to the list?
Thanks all :))
Lilith, you may want to do it as I did (ofc if you prefer to do it other way, which is more comfortable for you, please go ahead :P)

I've already check all Chinese movies by using this search: http://mydramalist.com/search/?type[]=movie&sortby[]=popular&country[]=2&genres_include[]=Historical&date_method=eq&date_year=&t=f&v=1.1

You may want first add all HK movies by using this search and later movies which we left somehow :D
Lorell wrote: I've already check all Chinese movies by using this search: http://mydramalist.com/search/?type[]=movie&sortby[]=popular&country[]=2&genres_include[]=Historical&date_method=eq&date_year=&t=f&v=1.1

Hang on, so the movies HAVE to be tagged as historical?
There are some movies that I feel have a lot of historical value even though they aren't tagged as it here on MDL. Say, Farewell my concubine and Blue Kite definitely are more historical than To Live and Raise the Red Lantern, which is already on your list >>"
Some, like the Hawthorn Tree might not be focused on Chinese history but the political turmoils are a definite background for the film and cannot be ignored. I'm sure that if you watch these movies you'll agree with me. Anyway, since I've already sorted these out I might as well post them. I've tried my best to filter only the most historically relevant ones onto this list:

QING DYNASTY (1644–1911)

The Warlords - HK Movie
Fearless - HK movie

REPUBLIC OF CHINA (1912–1949)

Farewell My Concubine - Chinese Movie

PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (1949–present)

The Blue Kite - Honestly it's embarassing MDL doesn't have an entry for this yet. "The Blue Kite serves as one of the quintessential examples of China's Fifth Generation filmmaking, and in particular reveals the impact the various political movements, including Anti-Rightist Movement and Cultural Revolution, had upon directors who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s." by wikipedia lol
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107358/

Not One Less - Chinese Movie

Under the Hawthorn Tree - Chinese Movie

And since I sense no one noticed my previous post, I'll just quote myself :P

lillith wrote: Can we help fill out the list? What's the bets way to do it?
I just noticed you haven't added Mulan yet. I've only seen the movie so far, but might as well add the drama too:

Lady General Hua Mulan - 1964 Hong Kong Movie
Mulan - 2009 Chinese Movie
Legend of Hua Mulan - 2013 Chinese Drama

Mulan's story takes place the Northern Wei dynasty (386–536) btw. 2009 movie takes place around 450 AD to be more exact. Don't know if the other versions are the same

I'll post more HK movies ina bit.
Ari_Lee wrote: Lorell mentioned she would also be making one for the Japanese forum.

Lorell wrote: Yes, even Korean dramas are not WHAT MUCH historical accurate. It's mostly about in that period dramas and movies are set.

(And that means that maybe somebody who knows jap/cn dramas better than I do would take care of updating topic :D )

Since I got Lorell permission I went ahead and did it. I will try to help you update the Chinese and Korean ones as well. I am just so fond with Asian history :D
Lilith, no if you feel/think some movies and dramas are historical as well, add them! :) I was only saying it was easier to mark "historical" dramas/movies in the search tool to start with smtg ;)
Lorell wrote: Lilith, no if you feel/think some movies and dramas are historical as well, add them! :)

I was only saying it was easier to mark "historical" dramas/movies in the search tool to start with smtg ;)

lol Yeah. It's a great start to get all of those added. ^^ As more Chinese and Hong Kong movies/dramas get added to the database, there will be even more to put on this timetable. I have been submitting Chinese and Hong Kong dramas to the database. I will try to link the historical ones here as soon as they get approved.
Updated - added links Lilith posted, made movies/dramas in alphabetical order and added Wikipedia pages about every historical period :)
Rouge Snow is set in the early Republican era according to Doramax264. I'm guessing that means Republic of China. :)
Threads of Time takes place in the Ming Dynasty. :) Liu Ru Shi was a famous courtesan during that era.
Udate - Added:
Prince of Lan Ling
Legend of Lu Zhen (Female Prime Minister)
Legend of Concubine Zhen Huan
Beauties of the Emperor
Startling By Each Step
New My Fair Princess
Princess Pearl
Princess Pearl II
Princess Pearl III - Heaven on Earth
The Patriot Yue Fei
Palace: The Lock Heart Jade
Palace 2: The Lock Pearl Screen
Palace 3: The Lost Daughter
The Palace
In Love with Power
Threads of Time
The Emperor's Harem
The Sound of Desert (?)
The Great Han Period Love Story
Introduction of the Princess
Legend of Chu and Han
Three Kingdoms
The Bride with White Hair
Heroes of Sui and Tang Dynasties
Sui Tang Yan Yi
Rouge Snow

(Note for myself xD Ended at Search drama/china/historical/page 1 done)