Are you confused about Genre? Do you have a Genre you avoid like the plague? Do you have a request? Do you have a recommendation? Name your favorite Genre here and a list of dramas you recommend! I'll start. My favorite Genre is Comedy/Drama. I like the mix of both and there are plenty to be found in K and J drama land. Coffee Prince My Name is Kim Sam Soon What's Up Fox The City Hall Biscuit Teacher & Star Candy My least favorite Genre is "War" I know that may fall under historical but since I like Sauguks that is too broad a category to place it under. The two dramas I've sort of been interested in but am really hesitating because they are War dramas are: Road Number One and Comrades. Has anyone seen these that can give me a good recommendation? Fellow MDL'ers: You don't have to wait for someone to respond to me to ask a question or give an opinion. Genres: Romantic Comedy Comedy (This can include sitcoms like High Kick) Comedy/Drama (I am adding this because there are a lot of dramas out there that fit this category) Historical Melodrama Action Medical Fantasy Mystery Horror War School Sports If anyone can think of any other genre I missed I will add it and feel free to discuss it.
I usually tend to avoid Melodramas thanks to Cinderella's Sister which was pain in the ass to finish after episode 10-11 T^T I also tend to avoid war genre. Haven't really watched any drama that falls into that genre...

My fav genres are:
- Rom-Com (like Me Too, Flower!, Hana Yori Dango, Kimi wa Petto and i could go on forever)
- Historical (like SKKS, Hong Gil Dong, Iljimae, Tempest and so on)
- Action (like City Hunter and Time Between Wolf and Dog)
- Mystery/Crime/Police/Medical (like Zettai Reido, MR. BRAIN, Code Blue and so on)
- Fantasy (like Kaibutsu-kun and Yokai Ningen Bem)
and last but not least
- School (for example: LIFE, Gokusen 1-3, Asuko March and list can go on forever)
i really like melodramas with happy endings such as Can You Hear My Heart and Thornbirds. Romantic Comedies and Comedy Drama are my number 1's though. I pretty much avoid anything else just because I personally know I will drop anything that doesnt fit into those genres. Although, I will dabble in historicals depending on the cast.
Gah! Action! I'm adding that. Thanks HAVA! I think I might add Medical as well. A word about Rom Com. I'm seriously asking because this confuses the heck out of me. I see you catagorized Me Too Flower as Rom/Com. I see so many dramas that are categorized rom/com but end up being much more on the dramatic side than comedic. I often wonder why sites like DC categorize them as rom/com. What do you think? That is where my Genre confusion comes in big time! *I'm adding School too*
I think rom-com applies to every second drama there is. I think "drama" as a genre isn't really a genre... though it applies to dramas like 49 Days and 14 Sai no Haha.
I really hate melodramas, hate all the crying and sad endings. Although I'm not a fan of drama, I have my exceptions like 49 days or Bad guy. These days I can't have the patience to see historical dramas and sitcoms also 24 episodes is the maximum I can bear at a series, I rarely finish them as it is.
My favorite genres are rom-com and school. ( My gf is a gumiho, Flower boy ramyun shop, Hana yori dango, dream high, playfull kiss[B][/B])
I prefer as much eye-candy as I can get and hope the story remains good or gets better as it approaches the finish.
My least favorite genre is fantasy but other than that ,I almost like every genre. It always depends on my mood when I watch the Drama ;) But I would say that Mystery,School,Historical and just Romance are always my favorite genres :D So I have understood it right now...? rom-com just means Drama? Lol I already wondered what it could mean:)
I like ... basically everything, I've no preference - but I tend to watch rom-coms, suspense, action oh yes and rom-coms.

But I absolutely dislike silly rom-coms, or whatever it might be called:
Nodame Cantabile
Ouran High School Host Club

And also everything which is too cute. *Sigh* Including many Taiwanese dramas
which I find difficult to finish if abnormal amounts of coupledom-happiness are involved.

EDIT: Ah I totally forgot, I fancy everything connected to singing and dancing!
(What's Up, Dream High ...)
I like a lot of different types of drama's.. therefor to pick my favorite drama genre would be really really hard, I like the genre's that combine many different types.. sooo I will pick the ones I seem to be liking the most and give my fav/rec. of those.. Romantic Comedy-The Greatest Love Historical- Chuno, Tree with Deep Roots, Iljimae Action- City Hunter, Time Between Wolf and Dog Medical, Mystery, Crime, Police- Sign, Joker (I can't remember the rest of the title), MR BRAIN, H.I.T., Poseidon(altho could be action too) Musical/Drama/School- Dream High, What's Up etc The one genre I really don't care for is War, but fanatsy is a touchy one with me because I like vampire's and "magical" like stuff, but only if done well.
Are there any Japanese drama lovers that can give some recommendations for some of these genres?
love rom/com and com/dram genres Jeanie have you seen Nodame Cantabile? it's a nice mix of comedy romance drama music (classical but still) and school really entertaining.
ladyfaile wrote: love rom/com and com/dram genres

Jeanie have you seen Nodame Cantabile? it's a nice mix of comedy romance drama music (classical but still) and school really entertaining.

I actually have that in my currently watching just to keep it up there on my mind! I've been watching some Jdramas lately. I just finished Pride and Nobuta wo Produce. I have two more episodes to go of Buzzer Beat.

I've liked all of these dramas. With Pride and Buzzer Beat I would consider them Sports/Romance/Melodrama and Nobuta Wo Produce I would consider School/comedy/melodrama. I am going to start it soon.

*darn another genre! Sports!* /me goes to add.
kimi wa petto and hana yori dango are both really good rom/coms (though HYD fits into school also and possibly melo) i also really enjoyed Hotaru No Hikari, very amusing rom/com
ladyfaile wrote: kimi wa petto and hana yori dango are both really good rom/coms (though HYD fits into school also and possibly melo)
i also really enjoyed Hotaru No Hikari, very amusing rom/com

I started to watch HYD but I have a little problem with Matsumodo Jun. I have a weird aversion to him. His face is so weird to me. I should try and get past it but....
watch kimi wa petto first, he's so cute in that drama. i had a hard time getting into HYD at first too and didn't care for him at all but he grew on me after KWP