Popcxqueen:

Agreed - plus there were definitely reasons for his behavior. 

Exactly....while with the let's call him main villain we didn't really get the backstory and that made him a bit one dimensional and set in his ways, but also... besides the nature vs. nurture, I've seen in dramas and I am sure it happens irl as well, some ppl just do evil shit just for evil sake. Through education I suppose and maybe guidance they can control the urges or whatever acts they want to do, but when, for example, in movies you see that there is no masterplan, no deeper reasoning behind stuff like that, shit gets ever scarier. We need, as human beings to put causality behind everything and try to order the chaos in some manner of speaking, so when that doesn't work is...abismal, to say the least.

Sorry for the ranty post, the topic is quite heavy so I guess I have stuff to say...

AnaTechWr:
but when, for example, in movies you see that there is no masterplan, no deeper reasoning behind stuff like that, shit gets ever scarier. We need, as human beings to put causality behind everything and try to order the chaos in some manner of speaking, so when that doesn't work is...abismal, to say the least.

And I'm really interested in the reasons behind the behavior and how we as a society can address them - the childhood traumas, poverty, economic inequity, prejudice and racism, climate change-fueled issues, addictions, parental violence, witnessing domestic and animal abuse as a child, etc, etc. The brother didn't have all of these reasons, of course, but he had quite a few, and that's the "nurture" and environmental side. When you add "nature" and what kinds of markers (genes) could have passed through the generations, it gets even more real. When you add all of it together, it can turn into a big toxic soup....which is what we saw. But there are always exceptions and with proper care and guidance and various therapeutic interventions and education and love, that faulty wiring can be addressed and perhaps even remedied. I've seen it happen irl. But that's not true for everyone, and I'm not convinced that truly psychopathic or sociopathic people can be treated, and certainly not "fixed."  But there are always new treatments being tested and researched as well, and that means that there's hope.

The brother definitely saw his "hooligan" behaviour kinda encouraged by his dad, and also I think there was a time when he actually stood up for him (or maybe it was even the ML, I cannot remember exactly), but ...sure, there is the difference in temperament, like some kids are calm and peaceful and quiet (like me for example), others can bring hell and they're a ball of energy since day 1 (like my brother, I really have this real life example). And at least in the drama the brother definitely craved the attention and approval from his father and envied the closeness he saw between his dad and the ML, so yeah, the soup didn't start out too healthy either.

Besides, when your dad is living his life under the literal dog-eat-dog philosophy you adapt to the world as being this savage jungle where you resort to whatever means to survive... and they were both heavily influenced by that model, Ik it's a drama, but it's quite literal one became the man of the law and the other one was a law breaker, so yup...- one ran away from that image and the other took it to heart, the main purpose being to survive and protect themselves.

AnaTechWr:
Ik it's a drama, but it's quite literal one became the man of the law and the other one was a law breaker, so yup...- one ran away from that image and the other took it to heart, the main purpose being to survive and protect themselves.

Exactly!! It's all about survival and self-protection, and the varied ways humans chase those two things.

Yo count me in, I love me a good villain

Xue Yang, you really sometimes oppress my rational thinking. I don´t know if I understand even the slightest bit of your personality, because, in all versions, I always felt there was something missing. Something you had missed to say to us, that wasn´t revealed. I never had the thought you were interested in anything but yourself. You could have been the most powerful cultivator and yet you decided to stay in Yi City to deceive Xiao Xingchen and A-Qing. What for? Satisfaction? Revenge? You turned that peaceful city into a living hell. But you enjoyed living there because you build your own family. Unfortunately, you build them on lies and one day the truth would come out. The only day you weren't prepared. The day you lost the last bit of yourself.

Ooh I wanna be a part of this T_T. I'm a villain lover too,

Maeionic:

Yo count me in, I love me a good villain

I am glad you joined! Can’t wait for some good discussions popping up and your contributions:)

Lize:

Ooh I wanna be a part of this T_T. I'm a villain lover too,

Hahh right right~~. When I saw the JC profile picture, I knew you were interested in the in-depth of a character. Welcome!

BTW I will do it like this: 

Every Month I will remove the active status of everyone and will add them back once they made some sort of contribution. It’s not like those people are being disadvantaged (how so? its just a thread ^^) I just like to give this forum some settings, to make it more exciting.

Also, anyone knows the exact size a banner should be? xoxo

Lin:

I am glad you joined! Can’t wait for some good discussions popping up and your contributions:)

Hahh right right~~. When I saw the JC profile picture, I knew you were interested in the in-depth of a character. Welcome!

Yes, finally someone who acknowledged JC as  a profound character.  And I personally think he deserve his own happy ending as he suffer as much as any other characters. 

Lize:

Yes, finally someone who acknowledged JC as  a profound character.  And I personally think he deserve his own happy ending as he suffer as much as any other characters. 

Yes very likely so. I do understand the criticism towards him too, but I think he was just so devastated of everything that had happened. Poor traumatized soul, only tried to make his ancestors proud and had severe Inferiority complexes, which made him blind to the hell his dear brother was going through. There is so much you can interpret and analyze. I truly love MDZS.

Lin:

Yes very likely so. I do understand the criticism towards him too, but I think he was just so devastated of everything that had happened. Poor traumatized soul, only tried to make his ancestors proud and had severe Inferiority complexes, which made him blind to the hell his dear brother was going through. There is so much you can interpret and analyze. I truly love MDZS.

Honestly same, the characterizations in MDZS is amazing, most if not all characters are interesting and complex in their own ways. 

And as a character person, I can help but love this show lol( read the novel. Mahua and everything. )  I need more show that have complex/ misunderstood characters ? 

Lize:

Honestly same, the characterizations in MDZS is amazing, most if not all characters are interesting and complex in their own ways. 

And as a character person, I can help but love this show lol( read the novel. Mahua and everything. )  I need more show that have complex/ misunderstood characters ? 

I got a list with the most well written villains/antagonists, you may have seen it already. Maybe there is something for you to dive in ^_^

Lin:

I got a list with the most well written villains/antagonists, you may have seen it already. Maybe there is something for you to dive in ^_^

Yeah, I have plan to check some of them out. Lol thanks for the list. 

Lin:

BTW I will do it like this: 

Every Month I will remove the active status of everyone and will add them back once they made some sort of contribution. It’s not like those people are being disadvantaged (how so? its just a thread ^^) I just like to give this forum some settings, to make it more exciting.

Also, anyone knows the exact size a banner should be? xoxo

Another ideas of possible contributions:

1. Creating a (fan-)profile for your favorite villains/antagonists.
     (memes are always very appreciated)
      -> Written as a text or stated with key points. It’s up to you.

2. One-shot stories which fits the character. (Prevent OOC)

Fellow (A)VAC-members, what do you think?
(btw, how should we call ourselves? VAC? (sounds a little bit like Fuck x))