oh nicee... :D .. yayyy !! i searched my actual name .. :) this is a nick .. something is better than nothing :D .. hehe !
i was right about ur name. yay!! lol
just spell it out phonetically and then find the characters here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana
don't forget the extended katakana. those have been really popular in recent years.
that's true. doesn't change my first name but it does change my last name (which i'm not posting lol)
chinboi5120 wrote: oh nicee... :D .. yayyy !! i searched my actual name .. :) this is a nick .. something is better than nothing :D .. hehe !

let's make a game out of this then. copy and paste it for us to see who can get what ur name is 1st. :D
Mine is most commonly written as ジョイス but it seems that phonetically it can also be written as ジョイセ.
I couldn't find Maryam, but I found Mary.

Apparently it's pronounced Maerii. I'm not familiar enough with Japanese to know how to pronounce that.
i would describe it as:
メ=ma in may
ア= ah like when you open your mouth and say "aaahh"
リ= this is the hardest one. some people say that the "r" in japanese is like a mixture between r and l. "i" sounds like "ee" in "see."
ー= this sign just means that you extend the vowel sound that it followed, in this case it's "i." I find it easiest to think of it in terms of music: if "ri" is a quarter note, then the "ー" is like another quarter note. Together "リー" is a half note.
I think I get it a little. It's too bad that website doesn't have audio versions of the translation.
pronunciation guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38MJW2q6Vp0&feature=related
there's a part 2, 3 and 4 and a bunch of other lessons but this one is the basic kana
actually just found this, might be more helpful, talking hiragana/katakana chart, just mouse over the character and it gives you pronunciation :D
Kikoro wrote: actually just found this, might be more helpful, talking hiragana/katakana chart, just mouse over the character and it gives you pronunciation :D

it looks like u forgot to add a link with this post.

fcazi.v80 wrote: Mine is most commonly written as ジョイス but it seems that phonetically it can also be written as ジョイセ.

i totally miss read that. :( i thought it was joey or jose or josie. maybe i'm dyslexic in japanese. lol