Michael = Maikeru

not bad - translates easily
tyvansing wrote: it looks like u forgot to add a link with this post.

woops!! i totally did haha good thing i bookmarked it
http://genkienglish.net/genkijapan/katakana.htm
warning: turn your volume down a bit, it's a bit loud and made me jump haha
My name will never be able to be translated... My friends were able to use it though. :) And they had fun.
i'm sure any name can be, it just won't sound the same as what you're used to because you have to add syllables for it to flow in Japanese.
Glenn

Gu ren

i forgot the meaning of it
Simone= Shimoon
pretty kool
there are some more recently added katakana one of which is si: スィ
doesn't show in traditional charts but some newer charts have added "modern" kana since like the 70's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana <- purple shaded kana are newer, developed to make it easier to adapt more foreign words into Japanese vocabulary

just found this out not long ago actually and thought it was quite interesting :) we come up with new english words all the time but it's not like they can add more letters to the alphabet haha
^ehhh rambling, sorry, my point was you could also spell it Simoon if you prefer
スィモーン
or
シモーン
My name in English can be translated into White wave Black river (surname last). So this translated into Japanese (uneducated guess) may be - Kuro kawa Shiro nami (surname first). Please correct me if that is wrong!
The name translator shows my untranslated first name as:

but it says it can't find my surname because it is unusual :-(
The great thing about Japanese is that if you would like to translate your name by meaning, you have a number of kanji to choose from :) The way in which your name would be pronounced would be determined by the kanji and will probably be different than the reading of the kanji as it stands alone. So while Kuro = 黒; kawa= 川; Shiro = 白; Nami= 波; 並; or 浪 (there may be more, but these are what come to mind), you the pronunciation would change when you put them together. Also, when choosing which kanji to use, you can consider more than just the meaning. Factors like stroke number and popularity of the kanji in a name can be also used to chose which you'll lose. Some number of stroke orders are considered lucky. Also, some kanji are used by royalty more than "commoners."

On the other hand, the translator gives a phonetic translation. Most people who are not native Japanese or of Japanese heritage will translate their name into romaji based upon the phonetic translation of their native name. Although there are some famous artists and athletes who choose to adopt kanji names. It should be noted that this can sometimes be seen as trying to be Japanese when you're not.
oops i mean katakana, not romaji
Mine is not western, it failed (big surprise)
My name means Violet, it's すみれ (sumire) in Japanese.
When I ran with Violet, it brought, of course, katakana writing of Violet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68[/ATTACH]