sometimes you have to change the name a bit to get a translator to work. like spell it the way it would be pronounced in japanese and that should help. remember that they don't often have consonants next to each other, like how the word "dress" becomes "doresu" this applies with names too (so if you ever go to Japan get used to having your name utterly butchered lol)
Rotopraip wrote: Mine is not western, it failed (big surprise)
My name means Violet, it's すみれ (sumire) in Japanese.
When I ran with Violet, it brought, of course, katakana writing of Violet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68[/ATTACH]

i like sumire. if i were u i would just go with that. at the end of the day u will always be violet whether in english or japanese. that's kinda kool. unlike the rest of us who can't get the meaning of our name or pronounciation directly translated.
andcueepiecosity wrote: i like sumire. if i were u i would just go with that. at the end of the day u will always be violet whether in english or japanese. that's kinda kool. unlike the rest of us who can't get the meaning of our name or pronounciation directly translated.

I like it too sounds pretty..

Mine is Brandy same as the alchol so it is spelled and pronuced the same as that. Bu-Ra-N-De-Ii writen in katakana..
ooh isn't Sumire the name of the lead in Kimi wa Petto?
PaydayTal wrote: ooh isn't Sumire the name of the lead in Kimi wa Petto?

Yeah.
WeacymnSekmek wrote: ブランデイー

It could also be ブランディ (if you're typing on an english keyboard it's bu-ra-n-dhi)
I love the language but it totally jacks my name. アリス. which can be alice as well. :( when my name is Aris. so it would be Arisu or alice. :( and i am pretty sure my last name would be total disaster with the v's in it
mm i have a v in mine also, just change it to a b since that's how it'd be pronounced

ah thanks Kawaikochan, i'm not too good with katakana yet. sort of depending on the language toolbar thingy too much, i should look up the characters first to make sure it comes up right on the keyboard (and to help me actually understand what i'm typing)
erasteentebra wrote: mm i have a v in mine also, just change it to a b since that's how it'd be pronounced

ah thanks Kawaikochan, i'm not too good with katakana yet. sort of depending on the language toolbar thingy too much, i should look up the characters first to make sure it comes up right on the keyboard (and to help me actually understand what i'm typing)

No problem. It's actually one of the "new" katakana that have been popularized in the last decade or so. You can find great examples of it in manga. A non-name example of how the "v" can be transcribed into Japanese:

violin can be either バイオリン [ba-i-o-ri-n] or ヴァイオリン [(w/v)a-i-o-ri-n]
right i forgot they added that. is it commonly used? or do most people still change it to b? it's what my Japanese teacher in college taught us but maybe she was trying to keep things simplified.
the language whatchamacallit for windows does let me cycle through characters if there's more than one way to write something, so once i get more familiar with katakana i can make use of that. i do use it for hiragana sometimes. though i find it frustrating that it defaults ん as "n" and i have to cycle down to the ん character every time. i don't understand why it'd do that.
Neat! It actually has my name :D Idk if it's right or wrong but I'm just glad it's in the database hehe
vhiec wrote: right i forgot they added that. is it commonly used? or do most people still change it to b? it's what my Japanese teacher in college taught us but maybe she was trying to keep things simplified.
the language whatchamacallit for windows does let me cycle through characters if there's more than one way to write something, so once i get more familiar with katakana i can make use of that. i do use it for hiragana sometimes. though i find it frustrating that it defaults ん as "n" and i have to cycle down to the ん character every time. i don't understand why it'd do that.

From what I understand "b" is kinda old school, but it's still ok. These katakana are really popular if you read blogs and tweets in japanese. I think it started out as a trend that is gaining more and more acceptance. Some examples of the kana can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/kanatable.html. It's not wrong or right but a generational thing.

My best advice is to ask a native japanese speaker who is around your age. Sometimes you'll find out that your name is already kinda popular and there's a set way to spell your name already. My name has one :)

about ん: in order to get it to type ん, you may need to type in "nn" or continue on to the next syllable. For example, you would type ばんご as ba-n-go and the "n" will automatically correct itself. If you are using ん at the end of a sentence or something, like みかん, then you may want to use "nn" (mi-ka-nn).
nope even in the middle of a word it comes up as n and if i don't notice right away i have to go back and change it. i'll try nn
i find the language thing a pain in the butt sometimes, i'll shift+alt to change it and it'll come up JP in the toolbar and sometimes the rest of it doesn't come up and it doesn't select hiragana by default i have to change it usually, if i don't it just types english =/ (i just changed it over it says JP right now....) and then sometimes i'll get it switched to hiragana and go to start typing and it automatically switches back to EN for some reason. sometimes it'll start off in hiragana fine and then switch back to EN while i'm typing... odd. or i'll click the input mode to switch to hiragana and it flips back to EN

ahh nn works ^^ i'll have to remember that

so my using 'bi' instead of 'vi' in my name proves i'm old i guess *sob*
I just use Ben but more closely my name would be either of these:
未通女
乙女座

I am not sure of the actual connotations of the words (if does, please speak up), but their meaning is closest to the meaning of my name. So, however I would make them names from there...