It's been a problem, and I'm losing too much sleep O_O

I just watched three 3 korean TV dramas in 2 days. Literally started another one after the final episode of another one lol

There are apps (or if you don't watch on a mobile device, there are also programs) that you can install that will stop you from doing things at a certain time. For example, if you want to stop watching shows around 11pm, you put that time into the app and it will block you from accessing the internet at 11pm. Or, if you live alone, you can setup your wifi so that you are locked out of it at a certain time as well. 

I don't do either of these since I don't have a problem taking breaks from shows. I give myself cutoff times and that works for me. I also take melatonin since I have a hard time falling asleep. You could try that and you'd probably end up falling asleep before you could even get to that "one last episode."

Lol... If it wasn't for the fact that my body apparently has no problem falling asleep mid-episode I don't think I would get any sleep at all! I only got into Asian Dramas and movies late 2016 so I have LOTS to catch up on. Haha

I try to diversify my compulsions to make it less powerful. So after binging a serie, I usually go read the reviews about it, I go read fanfictions, manga, I play a game, distract myself with something else.

In my case, I already know what triggers my compulsion but if you don't, it might be useful to try to pinpoint the source of it.

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/womens-health/how-to/a5583/how-to-conquer-your-compulsions-116339/

Miss_A:

I try to diversify my compulsions to make it less powerful. So after binging a serie, I usually go read the reviews about it, I go read fanfictions, manga, I play a game, distract myself with something else.

In my case, I already know what triggers my compulsion but if you don't, it might be useful to try to pinpoint the source of it.

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/womens-health/how-to/a5583/how-to-conquer-your-compulsions-116339/

I'm actually looking for a good place to start on FanFics. I'm not looking for anything too R Rated though.... any suggestions?

Women's compulsions are not necessarily related here. I think this is more because of the addictive qualities of dramas and the suspense they are famous for. When you are watching something you enjoy, you can feel a rush of dopamine. This increase in dopamine can become incredibly addictive (you see this in people who refer to themselves as "thrill seekers"), which is often what makes it so hard not to binge. This is why I recommended things that would force you to stop watching. If you have an addiction to something, your mind and body will always choose what you are addicted to over what you know you should be doing. If you give yourself options, you will choose the option that pleases your need for dopamine rather than what is best for you and your health.

Binge watching shows once in a while is fine. But when it begins to take control over you, and it affects your health (which is exactly what is happening when you lose sleep), you need to begin treating it like it is. An addiction.

KoreaGirl_☺:

I'm actually looking for a good place to start on FanFics. I'm not looking for anything too R Rated though.... any suggestions?

http://archiveofourown.org/

https://www.fanfiction.net/

https://www.tumblr.com/

It depends of the fandom you are looking for (if it's old, it might be in livejournal for example). Just typing the name of the show/manga/anime on google + "fanfiction" should direct you to links where the fanfictions mostly are for your fandom.

Kathleen:

Lmao... 

you don't

We Just keep adding to the PTW list dont we? T_T

Such is the drama watching life

Anyways, thanks for the advice folks :D

Whenever I feel like to binge watch another drama even though I really shouldn't, I just look at my pile of work that I've been procrastinating since decades and just straight up continue with watching another show stressfully :D

It's hard to quit! I know that the ends of most episodes are cliffhangers that make me want to start a new episode. If it's getting close to the time I need to sleep, I will stop an episode in the middle somewhere, where nothing big is going on, and turn it off for the night. I know that if I go to the end of an episode of a show that I am really into, that I'll want to keep going. It's the only thing that keeps me from pressing "next episode". 

I don't have a hard time with ending one show and immediately beginning another, though. I usually have a hard time deciding what to watch next. And if I really, really enjoyed a drama, then I have a bit of withdrawls and a hard time letting go of those characters. You could try reading the recaps of shows that you are really fond of (Dramabeans being the best place for that!) 

There are many good suggestions above. 

I find that I burn out several times a year, and don’t want to watch anything. Of course changing your viewing to other things, like anime, may just cause you to binge there instead. 

Try watching currently airing dramas since you can only watch a few before you run out. 

Daily dramas have a slower pace and are easier to stop watching. 

Try watching single episode shows like KBS Drama Specials on YouTube. Or movies. Once they are over you can stop.

Watching on apps or sites that allow the next show to automatically load can be dangerous. You say you’ll stop when the episode is over and find yourself halfway through the next. Check your settings you may be able to change them. 

I watch airing dramas too, but I watch multiple airing dramas lol

Thanks for the advice!

You throw your laptop out the window and hope it breaks. 

Only proven way to stop. 

I watch on my PC, so I can't really toss it out the window like a laptop, tablet or phone xD

btw, I just finished Drunk to Love You and immediately started another drama, but at least it's the weekend T_T