CrusadingAngel

A Beautiful Mind
Aug 2, 2016
Overall this was a very interesting drama. Never would I have thought that someone would end up making a medical mystery drama that would be this well written. The concept really drew me in. One thing that I really enjoyed about this show was that it was never predictable. I never knew what was going to happen next in Beautiful Mind. It was really a shame that this show ended up airing read more at the same time as Doctors. As the ratings ended up being lower than Doctors. I believe 2 episodes were cut from this series as a result of low ratings. It went from being 16 episodes to 14 episodes. This caused the pacing at the very end of the story to be a fast-paced, but it was still well written nonetheless. One of the few Korean dramas that I wished was a few episodes longer.

Story: [9/10] I really liked the concept of a medical mystery. As it really adds another layer to what may be a typical medical show. You are seeing the doctors take care of patients in a stressful situation as in most other medical dramas. At the same time you have a group of murders going on that continues to keep you curious. These murders add a layer of complexity to the drama. The surgeries and the mystery together pretty much keeps you on the edge of your seat for most of the drama. The main characters are also very well written. The characters do not stay flat and act the same the whole time. The characters learn from the events in the series and some of them grow more as a person. I didn't give this show a 10 for two reasons. The first is because the shows pace ended up being sped up because of 2 episodes getting axed. I feel like the extra episodes could have answered a lot more questions and made the show and the pacing better. The second reason is because I feel like the ending was slightly flat. The show had so much action that each and every single episode (okay maybe not every single one) seemed like the climax. However at the same time, it also made me feel like the ending didn't have much as an impact as I would see in other endings. Hence I couldn't really give it a 10 for the story. Of course that's just my own opinion though. Although I did give the show a 9 for being very action-packed and having good character development.

Acting/Cast: [8.5/10] There's nothing much that I can say about the acting and cast. For the most part no one really stood out to me other the Dr. Lee Yeong Oh. I thought that his acting was really good and that he portrayed his character really well.

Music: [8.5/10] Music is pretty likable. It uses an array of different tunes for different situations.

Overall I recommend you watch the series. This season was very good in general. Beautiful Mind was definitely the dark horse of this season and it ended up proving that it was worth my time. It was a 14 hour well spent :)! I suggest you watch it too if you haven't already.
Signal
Mar 13, 2016
Signal was an amazing drama from start to finish. At first, I thought that this was simply going to be another crime-solving drama where the main character goes around solving mysteries. Boy was I wrong! This drama is so much more than that. Signal was a crime thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the show. I kept checking back to see when the next episode read more was available because I wanted to see what was going to happen next! The time-traveling walkie-talkie definitely added some extra spice to the show. Does the walkie-talkie actually time travel? No it doesn't. Are you curious as to what I'm talking about? Well let's just say you'll just have to watch the show to find out! Trust me it's definitely worth it. Or else the drama wouldn't have a score of 9.2 at the time of me writing this review. Continue reading if you're unsure still unsure about whether you want to watch this show or not.

Story: [9.5/10] One thing that this drama does well is it takes very common story elements and turn it into something special. Have you ever seen a crime-solving drama? I have seen many myself. None has impressed me as much as this one. This show stands out from other crime-solving shows because it involves two people from different times attempting to work together to solve the same crime. There where a lot of flashbacks and events from the past that were used to help the characters in the present solve the different crimes. I must admit that initially I thought that this was not something that would have worked well with this type of show. However, in the end, the director and writers manage to mesh all of these elements together to create a great show such as Signal.

Although there were several things that kept me from giving the show a 10. One of the reasons that I didn't give the show a 10 has to do with the walkie-talkie. I wanted to know more about the walkie-talkie. I was a little disappointed by the end because I had some questions about the walkie-talkie that were never answered. I don't want to bring up the actual question because it may spoil a little of the show for you if you haven't already seen it. Just know that the walkie-talkie plays a very big part in the show and that I'm annoyed because they didn't answer my question haha.

Perhaps another weakness of the show is that it can be confusing at times. As I mentioned, there are a lot of flashbacks, and moments where we see events from the past. It often got confusing because the show would sometimes jump back and forth between past and present. On the flip side of all this, the show also had its' own strengths when jumping back and forth between the past and present. The writers of Signal did a very good job in setting up the different time jumps. As I would often find myself only confused for about 5-10 seconds before saying oh this is what is going on and I see why there was this flashback/time jump etc. In a way, I was never really confused at all because my confusion went away since the show itself answered most if not all of the questions I may have had about what was going on. This is a good thing because most shows don't do this. Other shows will often just leave you to wonder what the heck is going on the whole time.

Overall this show also kept a very good pace. It never felt like it went to fast or that it was dragging on.for too long. I applaud the director and writers for coming up with such a great story. They did a very great job in turning simple plot elements into a very sophisticated story. They didn't exactly invent a new genre or anything (or did they?). One thing is for sure though. They sure know how to tell a darn good story!

Acting: [10/10] All of the actors and actresses did a very commendable job during this whole drama. There were times where I was completely drawn in by the acting. In fact I cried at least two times during this whole drama. Let me just tell you now. I don't cry very often when watching shows. I rarely ever cry while watching sad dramas, let alone a crime thriller! This can mean one of several things. The first possible meaning is that the actors did a very good job acting. The second is that the story was very well told and that we were meant to cry at that part. I'm inclined to believe that it was a mixture of both. There where also several child actors and actresses in this show as well. Although they were all mostly pretty young, their acting only helped to improve this drama.

Music: [9/10] The music was very well made. If there was a suspenseful moment, suspenseful music that fit the scene came with at the right moment. All in all, the music helped enhance certain moments of the show depending on where it was needed. The OST to this show was nothing to scoff at either. Was it a ground-breaking OST that I will listen to for years to come? No, not really. However, it's definitely something that I will put into my playlist in the future.

Overall I definitely suggest you watch the show if you already haven't. You won't regret it! Objectively I can't give this show all 10s because it definitely wasn't completely perfect. However, subjectively it was one of the most well written Korean drama that I've ever seen.

Thank you for reading my first ever review on MDL! I hope you enjoyed it!
Doctors
Aug 23, 2016
Doctors was a show that had a very promising beginning. It showed us a different side of Park Shin Hye (PSH). We begin by seeing Dr. Hye Jung, PSH's character, single-handedly take down multiple gangsters with her martial arts skills. Boy was that a red herring. Kind of like the introduction that I just wrote. Unfortunately as the series goes on this strong physical side of Dr. Hye Jung disappears. Instead we read more learn how PSH's character was able to grow mentally. We learn how she grew mentally by seeing all of the ordeals that she went through in her past, before she became a doctor. These first few episodes were probably the best part of the drama. As this was where most if not all of the character development happened. We see more of the main character's daily life as a doctor as we proceed to the middle and end parts of the drama. This is a medical drama after all! The problem with the middle and ending part of the show is that it has very little plot. Either that or it had very little meaningful plot that viewers could enjoy. Please keep reading if you'd like a better understand of why I feel this way about Doctors.

Story: [6.5/10]

THE BAD

The story in this drama was probably its' weakest part. The story simply lacked meaningful events. Most other medical dramas had something that made it special. Whether it be a genius doctor or a doctor with a disability etc. Doctors had none of that. I could probably just watch episodes 1-7 and 19-20 and still get the main gist of the drama. The other problem I had with the show was that a lot of the doctors seemed very playful. Personally I was not fond of the fact that the director/writer of this drama deciding to go on this route. Many medical dramas opt to go the serious route and have serious doctors. It makes sense because doctors and constantly stressed and constantly handling life and death situations. Of course that's just my own personal opinion.

THE GOOD

On the flip side, a bunch of playful doctors gives this drama a much more light-hearted feeling. Some of these Korean (medical) dramas can get very depressing at times with all of the people dying. Doctors will perk you right up. Another thing that I enjoyed about this series was that there was a strong character who did not bend to the will of others. Dr. Hye Jung used all of these negative events from her past to make herself stronger. For the most part, she did not let past events bother her. One part that really struck a chord with me was when she took responsibility for a mistake that she and several other doctors made. She did not just only take full responsibility for her actions. She also stood up for herself and made sure that the villains of the drama did not win bully her around. I would have probably gave the story a lower score (5 or 6) if the writer's had not included a strong main character like Dr. Hye Jung.

TLDR: Weak Plot, but strong main character.

Acting/Cast [8/10]

No one's acting really stood out to me. None of the acting was overly bad or overly good. I'm just a big fan of PSH. I've been a big fan of ever since I saw her in Stairway to Heaven xD. Also, this is kind of off topic, but I did not feel the chemistry between the two main characters. Although I probably feel this way because of the whole teacher-student relationship.

Music: [8/10]

The music was okay. I like to focus my reviews on the story because I feel that the story is the main reason why someone may want to watch a certain series. An 8 for me means that the acting and music was ABOVE AVERAGE, but not perfect.

Overall: [7/10]

Overall this drama lacks a strong plot. This is not the drama for you if you're hoping for a complex plot. I suggest watching Beautiful Mind (a plot-filled medical drama that aired at the same time) for that. I personally continued watching this show because it was a light-hearted show that helped cheer up my day.
Stranger
Wow what a drama. Up to date I think this is probably one of the best dramas that I've ever watched. This drama had a little bit of everything. A little bit of suspense. Some sprinkles of romance along with a dab of murder. Stranger otherwise known as Forest of Secrets is a crime-thriller drama about corruption within the judicial system. A prosecutor named Hwang Shi Mok goes on a quest to read more wipe out this corruption as he attempts to solve several murder cases.

Story: [10/10] Personally I'm a very big fan of this story. The plot is very well written and a lot of the characters are well-drawn out. A lot of the characters has their own motive as to why they do what they do. As you get further into the story the characters begin to reveal themselves more and more. This provided for a very complex web of characters as you find out how their lives intertwine. Heck, by the end of the drama, I even fell in love with two of the villains. You get to learn how these villains went from your every day Joe to murderers. Other shows usually don't give their villains a very good backstory. Other villains are murderers because they like killing... Wow... what a boring reason right?

Do you like to be placed on the edge of your seat dying to know what happens next? One of the other reason I really like this drama is that it's also very suspenseful. You never know what is going to happen next. There are a good amount of red herrings, but just enough so that the show is not too ridiculous or too boring. Every episode ends with tiny twists that leaves you wondering what will happen in the next episode. Boy am I glad that I binge-watched this show. Or else I'd be dying to know what happens each week.

There is also a little bit of romance in this drama as well. Not much, but it does add a little flavor to the story. This drama makes you wish for more. Even better so, my favorite type of romance are tragic romances that don't work out. This drama has just that. You'll just have to watch the series to see what I mean though.

Acting/Cast: [10/10] I was a very big fan of cast in this drama. Both the male and female leads aren't exactly big-name stars, but they did their job very well. Oh I also forgot to mention that the main male lead had part of his brain taken out as a child? I thought the male lead did a decently good job acting like he had very little emotions. You do get to see some smiles here and there though. Although I was more so interested in the supporting casts. There where a lot of very big name supporting characters in the drama that really added some extra flair to the show. I'm a big fan of Lee Kyung Young, Yoon Se Ah, Yoo Jae Myung, Lee Ho Jae, and Uhm Hyo Sub in other roles. You know a show is legit when you have a great supporting cast such as this one.

Music: [9/10] The music on this show wasn't that bad. I generally don't give shows a 10 unless they're a "music-focused" show or if they have a VERY memorable OST.

Rewatch Value: [10/10] I mean it when I give this show a 10 out of 10. I made the mistake of multi-tasking while watching this drama. Unfortunately this show is very complex and is not like your typical K-drama. You'll miss out on certain connections if you aren't paying attention. This show is on the top of my rewatch list when I get through my backlog. I'm going to rewatch it again for the plot as well as to pick up any tidbits that I may have missed.

One of my biggest gripe about this drama is the whole brains surgery and emotionless male lead. I didn't feel like it really added much to the story. It felt like it was just there to distinguish this show from other murder mystery/prosecutor drama. Honestly this doesn't really take away from much while you're watching the drama though. I only brought this up because I usually try to bring up at least one thing I didn't like in a show or one weakness. Overall I'm a HUGE fan of the story and the supporting cast. This show is a must watch! It's currently the 3rd ranked drama on MDL for a reason! Can we make it the top ranked show?
W
Sep 14, 2016
W is a drama about comic book characters that come to life. Oh if only this show was as simple as that first sentence. This show is much more than that. It's also action-packed, comedy-filed, and full of romance as well. W was a show that started out very well. The first half of the show is probably one of the best parts of any Korean drama that I have ever seen. read more Unfortunately as the show goes on, events start to fall to the illogical.

Story: [8/10]

The GOOD

One of the good things about this show is that it was never predictable. This is the show for you if you want to be surprised every episode. I honestly had no idea what the heck was going to happen next after watching each episode each week. The more I watched the more unsure I was with where this show was going. Although being TOO unpredictable can also be a bad thing as well. More on that later.

I also really enjoyed the romance in this drama as well. I'm a big fan of romance dramas. I would give this shows romance a 9 or 10 on a scale of 1-10. It's reminds me of the romance that could be found in Descendants of the Sun. It was the same sort of cute romance that occurred during even the most strenous events for the main characters. The main actor and actress did a very good job portraying their love for each other. Of course some may like this type of romance and others may not.

The comedy in this show was pretty decent as well. The comedy gave this drama a lighter feel as it made it feel less darker and depressing.

The BAD

I was not really a big fan of the second half of this drama. One of the reason for that is because the show becomes very illogical. It seems that a lot of Deus Ex Machina was used in the latter part of this show. W is a show in which the real world and the comic book world intermix. This alone in theory makes the show somewhat illogical. However, I sort of accepted that as a truth. As it doesn't seem too difficult to believe that parallel universes exist. Even with accepting that, the show is still very illogical. This was probably due to the poor world building. A half fantasy/half realistic show should define the limits of the world. In W, a person can travel between the real world and the comic world. How is that possible? Who knows? The director/story writers just says it happens and it happens. There is no limit. In fact there was several parts in the story where I felt like the director/writers could have added Godzilla or the Power Rangers into the show and it wouldn't have made it seem that much more illogical. As it was already that illogical.

There were several times in the drama where the writers attempted to world build and explain some of the events in the story. This however was not really done well in my opinion. As many question that I had about this drama and world were never really answered. If they were, it would take a span of several episodes before they got answered. This left me clueless throughout most of the drama. This left me with more questions than answers by the end of the drama. A drama should be the opposite. A drama should answer most if not all of your question by its' ending. Also having a lot of twists also diluted the plot of the drama. It seemed that twists were added into the drama just to make it more surprising. Every new twist seemed to change the story in a completely new direction without adding to the plot from the previous episodes.

TLDR: Good initial romance, comedy, and action. Although very illogical. Lots of events where never explained or were explained very late into the story. I'd rate the first half of the show a 10/10. The second half gets a 5/10 or 6/10.

Acting/Cast: [9.0] One of the better parts of the show. The main actress and actor are very good at their jobs. They made sad parts of the drama feel all the more heart-breaking. They made the romantic scenes feel all the more lovable and romantic. All in all, a very good job!

Music: [8.5] The music fit very well with the drama.

Overall an 8.0 for this show. 32.5 total divided by 4 categories is around an 8. The show did very well in the romance, comedy, and action parts of the show. However the fact that this show was very illogical near the end dragged down the score. I probably would have given this show a 9.0 or 9.5 overall if it made more sense.
Chinese Paladin 5
Jul 31, 2016
This is not the show for you if you're looking for something similar to Chinese Paladin 1 and 3. In fact I suggest that you not even try this show at all. There are several reasons as to why I have this view. The first reason is that this show does pretty much nothing until 90% of the way through the show. The show's climax ended up being around episode 44 (the read more second to last episode). The rest of the show was basically filler. Secondly, the show lacked a strong and viable villain. Third of all, we have the ghastly CGI that we often see in dramas such as these. Please keep reading if you want to find out more about why I dislike this show so much. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

Story: [5/10] The story was very lackluster. Most of this had to do with the fact that many of the character's adventures had no real conflict at all. Every time there was trouble, the show's writer magically had a solution to their problem (mostly using magic). Talk about deus ex machina. The characters had to face hardships, but most of them was self-inflicted. Which then leads me to the romance. Also very lackluster as well. Most of the romance was basically the leads falling in love with each other, getting jealous with each other, and then falling in love again. Basically rinse and repeat for 40 episodes. Lastly there was also a lack of a strong villain as well. We find out who the main villain of this show at around episode 40ish. By that time I did not care enough to even pay much attention. Most other shows would have showed you who the real villain (or at least an idea of who the real villain is) by the first few episodes.

Acting/Cast: [7/10] The actors here weren't too bad. I didn't really give them a 7 because of their acting. In fact, I applaud them for being able to act well in a show like this one. As I thought it was amazing how they could act out each battle scene while having it all seem realistic without the CGI in real life. I gave this a category a 7 because there was no big name stars. Chinese Paladin 1 had Ady An, Crystal Liu, Eddie Peng, and Hu Ge. Chinese Paladin 3 had Hu Ge again, Yang Mi, Tiffany Tang, Wallace Huo, and Cecelia Liu. A crazy amount of popular actors and actresses. We had basically none of that here.

Music: [8/10] The music here was okay. I liked it for the most part, however it was nothing all that special as well. Not too many shows has music/ost that are worth a 10.

Rewatch Value: [1/10] I don't ever plan on watching this show again.

Overall I suggest you not watch this show. There's a reason why not many people on MDL has watched this show.
38 Task Force
Aug 7, 2016
Overall this drama was not too bad. Originally I begin watching this with very low expectations. Those expectations were slightly uncalled for because the show was much better than I expected. 38 Task Force is a show that is broken down into about 4-5 different arcs. 38 task force is a force that is composed of many people from different walks of life. In each arc the task force is attempting to read more con people into paying their taxes. I found the show to be very exciting in the first few episodes. However there was one problem with the story that really bothered me. Continue reading the story section below to better understand what I'm getting at. This won't really be a spoiler, but more likely a plot element that I want to talk about. I suggest you read the parts below only after you've finished the show.

Story: [8/10] I really like the story at the very beginning of show. It continuously kept me on the edge of my seat with its' quick-punching action. However, I begin to grow bored as the show went on. One of the reason is because this is not a show where you will see much character development. The show can be literally be summarized into one sentence. Again, 38 Task Force is a show where the task force is conning people into paying their taxes. The problem with this sentence is that these the writers wrote these scams in essentially the same ways. The writers try to trick you into thinking that each con has gone wrong through one way or another. In reality, it's always a part of the task force's plan. The problem with the cons is that they seem too perfect. The writers want you to think something has gone wrong with each con but in reality that is never the truth. This wouldn't be a problem if this plot device/element was used once. It ends up being a problem because the writer used this concept for basically each con in the show. I probably would have gave the story a 9 if the writer didn't make the show predictable by using the same plot driving device over and over.

Acting/Cast: [8/10] Overall the cast wasn't too bad. I was not overly impressed with the acting or cast. At the same I wasn't unimpressed as well. I mostly watched this show for Seo In Guk.

Music: [8/10] The music was pretty average. It really depends on your taste in music.

Overall I thought that this show was pretty average. It was something that was worth watching once but probably not a second time. I watched it simply because of the main actor. This show may be for you if you like a show that has an arc-like story about cons.
Bring It On, Ghost
Aug 30, 2016
Bring It On Ghost is a romantic horror comedy. Do not be mistaken by the genre though! The show isn't really that scary. Although the ghosts can look terrifying at times. Bring It On Ghost is a show mostly about Park Bong Pal. Park Bong Pal is a college student who can see ghosts and fights them. As MDL mentions in its' summary, Bong Pal one day meets with a schoolgirl ghost read more named Hyun Ji. The two gets to know each other better while they go out to fight various ghosts so that Bong Pal can earn some extra money. This was perhaps the best part of the drama as we get to see the romance between the two progress. This leads to a very light, heartwarming, and bubbly drama. This drama for the most part is not very plot driven. As about 1/2 to 2/3 of the drama is spent fighting various ghosts and spirits that very loosily has to do with the main plotline. The last 1/2 or 1/3 is where you plot proceed at a much quicker pace. I was not as fond of the last few episodes because the signature bubbly episodes quickly turn to a more serious drama as we learn how Hyun Ji has been dead for 5 years.

Story: [7/10] As mentioned earlier, this show is not very plot driven. In fact that was probably the weakest part of the show. Personally I did not watch this show for the plot. I watched it more for light-heartedness. I also liked seeing the relationship develop between the two main characters. It was very cute. These parts felt a bit like filler to me, but they still played an integral role in making me like this drama. I also had a slight disdain for the second half of the show because we begin to understand how Hyun Ji became a ghost. I wasn't a big fan of this because Bong Pal and Hyun Ji's relationship takes a turn. The writers decided to do something to Hyun Ji's character which basically takes away all of the ghost fighting altogether. This one major change, changes the story into something completely different. I felt that this change personally took away the best part of the drama and made it into more common and traditional Korean drama/story that has nothing to separate it from its'competition. I liked the last episode a lot as well. As it goes semi-back to its' traditional beginning again with the cute relationship between Hyun Ji and Bong Pal.

Cast: [9/10] The cast and acting was probably the best part of this show. Kim So Hyun is one of the best child actresses out there and it really shows. Hyun Ji's relationship with Bong Pal seemed very realistic because of Ok Taec Yeon and Kim So Hyun's great acting. I also really enjoyed the relationship bewteen the two support characters as well. Lee David and Kang Ki Young's bromance in Bring It On Ghost took the comedy and romance to a different level.

Music: [8/10] The music is above average. It's not overly bad or overly good. Nothing to write home about.

Overall: [7.5/10] This show is not really known for its' plot. It's another one of those light-hearted shows that aired this season.
Descendants of the Sun
Apr 14, 2016
DOTS is a drama mainly about a female doctor and male Special Force member who meets up and fall in love through a series of trials and tribulation. The show started out very strong with an action-filled first few episodes as you see some of the Special Forces members go in guns blazing. You also get a bit of the typical Korean romance along with some of the usual misunderstanding and cliches. read more DOTS is great for those who enjoy romance dramas. The romance is probably the best part of this show. Unfortunately as the show goes on however, certain events become very contrived. Viewers are left wondering why certain events even mattered. One of the problems with the show is that it lacked a strong villain. The conflict between the main characters and the villain was somewhat laughable.

Story: [8.0/10.0]

There are two things that DOTS should be applauded for doing well. First off, the romance found in this show was very refreshing. If anything, the romance in this show overshadows a lot of the action in the show. I enjoyed watching as the relationships started forming between the main characters as well as the relationships that were forming between some of the support characters. I found myself gushing at some of the romantic scenes as if I were in those scenes myself. Those scenes where just that good!

Another aspect of the show that was done well was the creation of the characters. The show made sure that each and every one of the main support characters stay relevant. You'll see which ones are the main support characters once you watch a few episodes. Each support character's interaction with the other characters only helped to make the story better. I especially liked the part where the doctors were watching the soldiers running. I thought that part was hilarious. You'll just have to watch the show to see what I mean.

Although there were some good parts in the drama, there was also some bad parts as well. Personally I was really annoyed with the villain that the producer/director chose for this show. Not so much because of the actor that it was chose. I was more annoyed at the villain's role in the show. Argus was the main villain of the show. The problem with Argus was the fact that he seemed like some sort of quasi-villain. Argus was more like some sort of jay-walker or speeder in terms of the types of villains that are out there. I was expecting more when they showed him as a drugs/weapons/human trafficker. Unfortunately that was not the case. Honestly I liked the parts where the cast was confessing to each other more than a lot of the confrontations that occurred between the villain. That's not to say that they all of the confrontations were bad though.

Overall, the romance and the characters in this show was great. However, the same cannot be said about the plot. The plot was lacking more than just the main villain as well. Sadly it also lacked events that I could actually care about as well. The main part of the show (besides the romance) where the characters where in Urk was mostly very boring. They could have taken about 50% of the material out of the material of that part of theshow and the overall plot would not be any better or worse. It felt like a lot of the story was there for the sake of filling the 16 episodes.

Acting: [10.0/10.0]

As mentioned earlier, the cast did a very great job in this drama. They both did very well in terms of acting and employing the cast to make the show that much more interesting. I did not pay much attention to the acting. That's a good thing in this case because it meant that there acting was very natural. Usually I only notice the action when it's bad. I.e. when someone shows no emotional sadness when there suppose to be sad about someone's death or something. I also enjoyed the fact that the most of the actors and actresses in this show had a great control of the English language. Some parts of the show required the cast to speak English. It was refreshing to actually understand the English when it was spoken and not having to work out the accents.

Music: [9.0/10.0]

As per usual, you really can't go wrong with the music. The music did what it was suppose to. It made sad moments sadder. It made happy moments happier and so forth.

Thanks for reading my second ever drama review on MDL! I hope that you have enjoyed the review. I only gave this show an 8.5 overall, but that does not mean I did not enjoy it. I merely tried to grade as objectively as I can. I rarely give shows that I review all 10s because most often they are often not as perfect as they can be to receive the 10s.
Uncontrollably Fond
Sep 8, 2016
Uncontrollably Fond is a drama that starts out with many things happening at once. The writer/director throws many things at you at the start of the drama. This makes you wonder what is going on. It becomes even more convoluted when you have the writers add in a bunch of flashbacks as well. Luckily as the story goes on, things become more obvious. You begin to slightly see where the story is read more headed. Overall I gave this show a 7 on a scale of 1-10. 1-5 being shows that are unwatchable or just really bad. 5.1-10 being shows that are watchable and good. A 7.5 means that this show was on the average side. I honestly can't say much overly good or overly bad about the show.

Story: [7/10] I'll start with the bad part of the show. One of the things that I did not like about this show was its use of flashback to tell the story at the beginning. The show starts by having flashbacks while the characters are in 2016. There are flashbacks to the past to show us events that have currently led to what is now happening in the present. Unfortunately I feel that it was a bad set up because we didn't know any of the story at the beginning either! Hence the flashbacks only made the story even more confusing at the beginning. Personally I would rather a story begin by telling the events of what happened in the past and then move closer to the present.

On the other hand, there were some good things as well. Besides the confusing beginning, everything else in this drama was very logical and easy to understand. The story moves at a very decent pace. i didn't really feel that it was too fast or too slow. That usually doesn't happen for me in many dramas. All in all though, the story was pretty average for me. Uncontrollably fond is pretty much your somewhat typical revenge drama. The villains does something bad and the good guys tries to get back at them. Obviously it's not that simple, but I also didn't want to give away any spoilers. All in all, there was nothing that made me overly jump at watching the drama or even to not watch it. Hence the 7.

Acting/Cast: [8.5/10] This drama had some big name actor and actresses. Personally I'm a big fan of Suzy. Hence I decided to watch it just to see her act. I also really enjoyed the relationship between Noh Jik and Ha Roo. As their relationship added some cuteness to an otherwise sad melodrama.

Music: [8/10] The music was decently good. I think I liked it for the most part. Although was there a remixed/edited Christmas jingle in this drama? I can't remember if it drama or another one, but I was not too fond of that one.

Overall I'd like to reiterate that this show was pretty average. Some people may like it a lot and others might really hate it. Personally I was on the fence with this one. This show is probably as typical as you can get for a Korean drama/melodrama.

1 hour ago