Linky

Healer
Sep 20, 2016
Healer is my #1 favorite drama. It is so romantic, with sharp dialogue, great action scenes, fast-paced, intriguing plot, slick cinematography. It will hook you in the first episode and make you swoon over and over again. Anyone who likes action and romance will love this. The main couple has really great chemistry and lots of cute and romantic scenes together. The Healer is the coolest character ever - owing to Ji read more Chang Wook's wonderful acting. He made his character come alive - cool, tough, resourceful, lonely, vulnerable, bumbling, loving, gentle - from one scene to the next. Yeoung Shin - the female lead is beautiful and extremely likable, cute, and gutsy. There are several really funny and endearing supporting characters like the Healer's boss and the father. My only small complaint may be that the villains and their evil motives were not as developed as the rest of the drama. But the rest of it was so good I didn't really mind.
Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Nov 2, 2016
This story has some flaws, but overall it's a great romantic historical drama. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 16 out of 20 episodes. Lee Joon Gi as Wang So was wonderful to watch. This drama will make you a fan if you aren't already. I looked forward to him coming on screen. Wang So is at times dark, dangerous and damaged and at other times sweet, romantic, heroic and loyal. I enjoyed read more the love triangles, family drama, camaraderie and spirited, pretty heroine. Costumes and actors and cinematography were beautiful to look at. Fun exciting action and martial arts. Good fast pacing. The story moves along nicely. Several scenes - like the scene in the rain or the riding on horseback scene - are really memorable, stirring and dramatically presented. The emotional impact of the 2 main love stories build up really well in the first 3/4 of the drama really make the whole series worth watching for me.

I forgave plot holes or inconsistencies much of the time because it was so enjoyable to watch, but towards the end it fell apart and the actions of the characters didn't make sense to me. As a whole the events at the end didn't hold together to tell a cohesive or rewarding story. If only it could have finished as strongly as it started, I would've given it a 9 or 10. But still I'm glad I spent the time to watch it. It was worth it and it had me hooked to the last episode which not every drama can do.

Now that some time has past and I've watched many more dramas since, it still holds up for me as a great romance despite it's flaws.
Defendant
Apr 26, 2017
A decent crime / mystery with solid acting. The pros of this drama: I watched the plot unfold with enjoyment. The pacing is good so it keeps viewer engaged. The acting is good - especially the little girl and Ji Sung as the Jeong Woo.

The reason I do not rate it higher is that I found it really derivative of other shows. Though I did enjoy it, it was pretty predictable. read more I usually don't care about this so much, but here it was so obvious that it distracted me from getting emotionally involved with the characters. I didn't find the characters very realistic or complex. The characters felt so much like stock characters from very other crime mystery story of this type. It's like the writers decided they wanted to write a show like "Prison Break" combined with "The Fugitive" and just went with that without trying to add any originality or twist of their own. At first I thought the references to Prison Break were kind of cute, but after awhile the similarities became tiresome.

I didn't love the characters - not even Jeong Woo. There were details about him that bugged me, so though I wanted the bad guy to be punished, it's not because I loved the hero so much. The setup for the villain really didn't make sense. The crime that is the catalyst for the whole drama was psychopathic and impulsive and really without thought or reason. He gained nothing from it and just did it because he felt like it. Then he spends the rest of the episode impulsively covering it up. And then we are supposed to believe that he magically transforms into a resourceful, manipulative character who plans and thinks enough to get away with all that he does for the next 17 episodes? The motley group of inmates was kind of funny, but too glaringly cute for this type of story and obviously just there for comic relief.

I don't regret watching this, but didn't love it. It's one of those shows where I just wanted to see the story play out even though it was mildly disappointing along the way.
Nirvana in Fire
Jun 2, 2017
It took awhile, but I'm totally on the bandwagon. In a word, this drama is awesome. I started watching it because of all the rave reviews, but had a hard time getting into it and I actually dropped it around episode 15 or so because I had a hard time connecting to the characters. But I'm so glad I picked it up again. The drama builds up slowly but the payoff is read more so worth it. It's so intelligent but at the same time deeply emotional. So if there's anyone out there like me who usually likes historical dramas but have a hard time getting into this one, you might be really happy to hang in there.

Each story detail is meticulously revealed for a reason. I think this is one drama where a slow build up might actually help make it a better drama overall. The characterizations and relationships build gradually but deeply. Around episode 20 or so is a turning point. It's like the point where you have reached the top of the roller coaster ride, then all the stuff that happened in the first part of the drama really starts to come together and the rest of the drama goes so fast. When you get to around episode 30, all the drama and relationships have built up to the point that I just had to marvel at the storytelling. It's genius. I really felt the emotion under the surface of these characters that had to stay so reserved and careful so much of the time. My heart started breaking around this point because I felt the inevitable end coming. I never really feel like re-watching dramas, but I think I will re-watch this one just to visit these characters again and see if I can pick up details that I missed the first time around.

Hu Ge and Wang Kai are riveting as Mei Chang Su and Prince Jing. Their relationship is truly heartbreaking. Though there is romance in this drama, it takes a backseat to the camaraderie and deep friendships among the male characters.
Stranger
"Stranger" was pretty much perfect. It might ruin other crime dramas for me in the future because it was so good. I'm giving it a 10 which I hardly ever do. Lots of crime dramas rely on shock, sordid details or graphic violence to thrill and create interest. Stranger tells a story about complicated characters with passions, motives, and morals that collide, corrupt, and too rarely bolster and strengthen each another. Though read more this is a crime investigation story and definitely contains some gruesome scenes, most of the thrills come from the characters playing off each other.

The script is so tightly written. The story is a cleverly and methodically laid out multi-layered labyrinth with compelling and intelligent characters at each turn. There are no throw away characters who behave stupidly, frustrating plot details, cutesy comic relief or romance just for the sake of adding romance. Every line could have a potential effect on the outcome. If you let your mind drift for a moment you might just miss out on some new clue or development. While watching, I often had the unsettling feeling that everyone is not who they seem and everyone is up to no good. It's just that I'm not sure what they are up to yet. Then a moment later I would often come to the exact opposite conclusion and think maybe this character is exactly who he appears to be after all. It had me on the edge of my seat and guessing up through the last episode. The writing is so impressive.

"Stranger" is well-acted all around. The 2 main leads do such a great job. Jo Seung Wo is excellent as Prosecutor Hwang. In playing a cold, emotionless, and calculating character with limited facial expressions, he somehow manages to shine with goodness and integrity, gain our sympathy and win our hearts. Bae Doo Na is excellent as Lieutenant Han who may be the more stereotypical good cop character, but she brings her character to life with warmth, passion and toughness. I also particularly enjoyed Lee Joon Hyuk as Seo Dong Jae. He portrays his smarmy despicable character with a lot of emotional range. He's the guy you love to hate and sometimes feel sorry for. All the characters have great chemistry together - both the heroes and villains - though you never really know for sure who is who until the very end when all the pieces fall together perfectly. It's a thrilling and compulsively watchable ride that builds in intensity as the story progresses. I am sorry to be done. I even re-watched the last episode immediately so I didn't have to say goodbye just yet.

This drama brings up ideas about what makes a person who they are. Does a person ever fundamentally change? What make us human? What makes us good or bad? Is it our emotions, our ideals or intentions? Our actions? Morals? A sense of justice? If you are into crime stories you have to watch this. But I also highly recommend this to people who appreciate an intelligent well told story that makes you think.
Fight For My Way
Jul 12, 2017
One of the best romantic comedies I've watched yet. Must watch! Funny banter and heartwarming friendships make this slice of life drama really entertaining. It hooked me within the first 30 minutes with its humorous depictions of 4 lovable BFFs struggling to figure out their lives.

But the best thing about it is how real it feels. The actors do such a great job making their characters come alive. They all feel read more like real people - friends that you might know if real life with relatable career obstacles and realistic relationship troubles. It's really touching how they support and care for each other even though they might talk tough. You really feel the deep connections between the childhood friends and the 2 main leads have great chemistry.

The writing and pacing are great. With most dramas it takes a few episodes for me to warm up and get into the story or characters. But this one is easy and comfortable and hard not to love from the start.
Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People
May 19, 2017
If you like historical dramas, this one won't disappoint you. It's well paced, the writing is solid and the story doesn't let you down for 30 episodes. There is a heartwarming romance, rousing action and heroes that you can really route for. It's about family ties and loyalty, camaraderie and standing up to fight for what's right - no matter the cost and no matter how bleak your chances.

Yoon Gyun Sang read more is really good as the Gil Dong. He is believable as the Mighty Child with superhuman strength that evolves into a rebel, but is equally believable when his character is beaten down and vulnerable. Kim Sang Joong is commanding as Amogae - Gil Dong's father- who lived most his life as a slave but realizes his strength and spirit. Watching him at times gave me goosebumps. I particularly loved the father-son relationship between him and both the adult Gil Dong and the young Gil Dong.
Suspicious Partner
Jul 14, 2017
Though I can kind of understand the mixed reviews, I thought this was fun and romantic and think it's defintiely worth checking out. It starts off really strong with loads of romance and cuteness which fizzles somewhat with darker plot complications as the story progressed, but ultimately goes back to being cute. I feel like I've watched a few dramas recently that pair the cute romantic comedy and dark crime genres together. read more It seems like an difficult pairing to pull off, but this drama manages to do it adequately. So depending on how charismatic you find the main couple or how much you enjoy the crime story / villain you may really enjoy this.

PROS: Ji Chang Wook is my favorite actor since I watched him in Healer so I admit that makes me rate this drama higher than I might if he wasn't in it - maybe half a point higher. I was really happy to just watch him in something where he just plays a normal guy. For me this was enough to keep me entertained. I also liked Bong Hee and thought they had good chemistry together.

The supporting characters were cute and likable. I enjoyed the funny bickering of attorneys at the office. Their office meetings were always funny. I also thought the bickering moms storyline was funny. The mean female attorney character grew on me and became one of the more amusing side characters.

CONS: It doesn't finish as strongly as it started and to me a it drags a little in the middle when the crime storyline takes more prominence. The actor who plays the villain gets a lot of screen time and does a good job. But I just wasn't as invested in this part of the story. The plot was entertaining enough to keep my attention though. Certain plot points could have been amped up for more impact. And certain plot points are introduced that added complications but could have been done without. The second leads could have been given a little more to do. And the old friendship between 2 male leads could have been played up a little more. I would have liked to see more of them together.

That sounds like a lot of cons, but it is mostly picking at the plot. Overall, I thought this was a really fun and cute drama to watch and looked forward to each episode.
Fabricated City
May 16, 2017
I was looking forward to this because I love Ji Chang Wook and I like action films when they are well done. But it was disappointing. There is plenty of action, but very little in the way of character development. JCW and the other actors aren't given much interesting to say. This movie cuts from one action scene to the next with very little in between to make you care about what read more happens to these characters.
Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends
May 2, 2017
Visually stunning, jaw-dropping martial arts with compelling characters both good and bad. This movie takes up the story in the middle of the action where the second movie ends so you shouldn't watch this without watching the second movie at least. It shows a little more about how Kenshin came to be the reknowned ex-assassin with the gentle smile who has vowed to never kill again. The finale fight scene was one read more of the most impressive martial art scenes in any movie I've ever watched.
Hwarang
Feb 24, 2017
Hwarang was entertaining. It could have been better, but I liked it, and would recommend it to people who aren't looking for a historical drama that is really serious, political or intellectually stimulating and just want to watch something fun with actors that are nice to look at.

There is a little bit of everything in this drama - love triangle, bromance, political intrigue, martial arts. It is a lite-sageuk - where read more the love triangle and romantic angst take center stage for much of the drama - not much complexity. I don't mind that so much, but the main criticism I have for this drama is that it just gives a little bit of everything and could have amped up the drama, action, bromance, intrigue in the middle and given a little less of the romantic angst. There are plot holes, storylines left hanging and potentially juicy scenes that could have been shown, but weren't. It is the type of show that makes you feel frustrated with it's characters or inconsistencies, yet compels you to tune in every week anyway. So that says something. The actors do a good job with what they are given.

PROS:
Beautiful to look at. The 2 main male leads are good and have charisma. I enjoyed the love triangle. The pacing and emotional impact of the drama starts off really strong and emotionally charged in the first several episodes, getting viewers invested in the characters and their dramatic backstories. You are introduced to a hidden king battling his fears and longing to be strong and good, a peasant with fighting skills and a noble heart, and a spunky heroine who tells racy stories in backrooms for money.

CONS:
The middle episodes are disappointing and messy with the story stalling and going in circles a bit. The characters that were set up nicely in the beginning aren't given much to do. But the ending is redeeming and rewards viewers who held on til the end. The bromance is implied, but I wish there could have been more male bonding scenes. More rousing adventure and drama in the middle episodes would have amped up the quality of this drama considerably.

But I'm glad I watched it. It was fun.
The Master's Sun
Feb 12, 2017
A fun, light romantic comedy with touches of horror mixed in. I started watching Master's Sun on a whim because I had heard people talk about it and the name was familiar. I had no idea what it was about before I clicked play. If I had known the premise before watching, I might not have started it because it's not something I would normally have chosen. But I'm glad I did. read more The first few episodes sucked me in. It was fun and intriguing and a little scary. The premise is really unbelievable and silly. I am not the hugest fan of the mean rich guy who falls for the awkward girl storyline. I'm not really a fan of ghost stories. Some of the dialogue seems strange and stiff. The storylines are really unbelievable. But, despite all these things that this drama didn't have going for it, I actually enjoyed it a lot. There were several times when the situations got really silly that I wondered to myself why do I like this? I think the main reason is the charisma and talent of the actors. They somehow make you really care for these farfetched characters no matter what outlandish situations they are put in.

The Pros:
I was surprisingly moved by the ghosts' stories that are introduced in each episode and even cried over characters that were introduced in just that one episode. I got into the main romance and felt their heartache when they separated and ended up binge watching it into the early morning. So Ji Sub is really good as Joo Joong Won. There's something really likable and charming about him even when he's acting rude and standoffish. He was the main thing I looked forward to watching on screen. Gong Shil and Joo Won have good chemistry especially considering how crazy it is that these 2 characters would fall for each other. The supporting characters were nice to look at as well. The mystery kept me guessing. The romantic storyline is predictable but the actors are so good they really make you feel for them.

The Cons:
The reason I don't rate it higher is that I think the plot stalls a little towards the middle. Some of the scenes seemed kind repetitive at times. But that didn't really stop me from caring about the characters and enjoying it til the end.
Queen for Seven Days
Very romantic and dramatic - I loved this! Queen for Seven Days is a beautiful historical romance. It's a great love story. After watching it through I read the history behind this and even though I'm sure a lot was embellished, it was even more touching and bittersweet to learn that many plot details actually did happen. The love story wasn't just made up for the drama.

The costumes and actors and read more cinematography are all really good looking. This is a very pretty drama to watch. It provides a little of everything. There is some political intrigue and a little bit of adventure, but the main focus in this drama is the emotional tension and love story between the heroine and the 2 brothers - one king and the other grand prince. It's developed very well. It really hits all the right notes to make it a very satisfying watch for romance lovers. If you enjoy romantic sageuks like Empress Ki or Scarlett Heart: Moon Lovers, you'd probably really like this as well. Compared to those dramas, I felt this one was more pleasant, less emotionally wrenching and more satisfying overall.

The pacing was mostly good, but I think the setup was a little slow. Once the story is underway when the adult actors take over it goes pretty fast. The actors all do a great job - particularly the 3 main leads. There is a lot of praise for Lee Dong Gun as the king. He's an intriguing villain. But I think the main couple played by Park Min Young and Yeon Woo Jin are lovely together. It's a juicy love triangle. And I love that the main couple are given a decent amount of happy romantic screen time together. Even though there are plenty of tragic obstacles for them, at least their faith in each other doesn't get annoyingly dragged down by misunderstandings or false accusations. It is really touching their love survived all the violence and political struggle of that time. I had my mouth agape and tears streaming down my face during the perfect final episode.

The criticism I have for this drama is that it is peppered throughout with actions that the characters take or plot details that make you think "WHAT?!" or "WHY?!" and make you feel a little frustrated. Certain things seemed that they didn't have to happen that way and just happened for dramatic effect (especially towards the end) or came out of nowhere. But then later I read that most of those things or some version of those things really did happen in real life. So I think I would rate this higher if more attention was given to certain aspects of the story or the politics so I could appreciate what motivated certain characters or events better.

But still, this didn't stop me from really enjoying this drama. Historical dramas - particularly tragedies -tend to let me down big time somewhere along the line, but this is one of the more satisfying and touching ones that I've watched and highly recommend it.
Gourmet
Jun 21, 2017
I totally loved this! Gourmet took precedence for me over all the currently airing or newer dramas I have been watching this week. I just couldn't stop watching and lost a lot of sleep in the process. It's a really heartfelt drama centered around family drama and food that I think many would enjoy. I thought I'd put in a good review, because I think it deserves higher ratings than it has. read more THE STORY: I was hooked on it from the first episode. It's about a father and 2 sons who run a renowned historic restaurant serving traditional Korean food. What I really enjoyed is the way the father-son and brother-brother relationships are played out. There are good guys and bad guys, but the bad guys are relatively well-rounded and realistic. You can kind of see their point of view and feel for them. The actors all do a great job bringing these characters to life. Kim Rae Won is really likable as the the sincere and naturally talented chef, Sung Chan. Kwon Oh Jung is good as Bong Joo, Sung Chan's overly-ambitious brother. And Choi Bool Am is endearing as their father.

The story touches on themes like balancing modernization with protecting tradition and heritage, living up to your parents expectations and finding your own way in life. It's relatively realistic for a drama. Just like in everyday life there's a little bit of everything - some fun moments, some sadness, rivalries, competition, jealousies, heartwarming and supportive friendships. There is some romance. It was cute, but not the main focus of this drama.

THE FOOD COMPETITIONS: The plot involves not just one food competition but several cooking competitions. And it all looks so good to me. I want to taste it all. There is a lot of focus on the food preparation and the drama of coming up with interesting creative recipes that will outdo the competition. I love watching cooking competition shows so I really get into this aspect of the story and find it exciting. And I don't know much about Korean food so it is really interesting for me to watch them making it and see how they eat and appreciate it.

THE PACING: I read some comments about it being slow. I didn't find it slow, but I can understand why some people might feel this way if watching people making food or talking food doesn't interest you or you prefer dramas with more focus on romance or thrills. But I thought the pacing of the story was just right. Every scene had its purpose and moved things along at a comfortable pace.

Maybe it's not everyone's taste, but this drama left me feeling happy and satisfied just like a good meal. It's definitely one of my favorites!
A Werewolf Boy
Apr 27, 2017
This movie mesmerized me from the first scene. It's really good story, well told and well acted. Soong Joong Ki is so impressive as the werewolf boy. I really believed it. With just facial expressions and body language he is frightening then cute then heartbreaking from one scene to the next. Park Bo Young is really good too as Suni. This isn't the conventional horror / werewolf story. At it's core, it read more is a poignant story about an unlikely friendship and romance, so I think this is a movie most people could relate to and enjoy.

1 hour ago