Linky

Defendant
A decent crime / mystery with solid acting. The pros of this drama: I watched the plot unfold with enjoyment. The pacing is good so it keeps viewer engaged. The acting is good - especially the little girl and Ji Sung as the Jeong Woo.

The reason I do not rate it higher is that I found it really derivative of other shows. Though I did enjoy it, it was pretty predictable. read more I usually don't care about this so much, but here it was so obvious that it distracted me from getting emotionally involved with the characters. I didn't find the characters very realistic or complex. The characters felt so much like stock characters from very other crime mystery story of this type. It's like the writers decided they wanted to write a show like "Prison Break" combined with "The Fugitive" and just went with that without trying to add any originality or twist of their own. At first I thought the references to Prison Break were kind of cute, but after awhile the similarities became tiresome.

I didn't love the characters - not even Jeong Woo. There were details about him that bugged me, so though I wanted the bad guy to be punished, it's not because I loved the hero so much. The setup for the villain really didn't make sense. The crime that is the catalyst for the whole drama was psychopathic and impulsive and really without thought or reason. He gained nothing from it and just did it because he felt like it. Then he spends the rest of the episode impulsively covering it up. And then we are supposed to believe that he magically transforms into a resourceful, manipulative character who plans and thinks enough to get away with all that he does for the next 17 episodes? The motley group of inmates was kind of funny, but too glaringly cute for this type of story and obviously just there for comic relief.

I don't regret watching this, but didn't love it. It's one of those shows where I just wanted to see the story play out even though it was mildly disappointing along the way.
Healer
Sep 20, 2016
Healer is my #1 favorite drama. It is so romantic, with sharp dialogue, great action scenes, fast-paced, intriguing plot, slick cinematography. It will hook you in the first episode and make you swoon over and over again. Anyone who likes action and romance will love this. The main couple has really great chemistry and lots of cute and romantic scenes together. The Healer is the coolest character ever - owing to Ji read more Chang Wook's wonderful acting. He made his character come alive - cool, tough, resourceful, lonely, vulnerable, bumbling, loving, gentle - from one scene to the next. Yeoung Shin - the female lead is beautiful and extremely likable, cute, and gutsy. There are several really funny and endearing supporting characters like the Healer's boss and the father. My only small complaint may be that the villains and their evil motives were not as developed as the rest of the drama. But the rest of it was so good I didn't really mind.
Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
Nov 2, 2016
This drama has flaws in the writing, but overall it is worth watching. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 16 out of 20 episodes. Lee Joon Gi as Wang So was wonderful to watch. You will become a fan of his if you watch this. I looked forward to him coming on screen. Wang So is at times dark, dangerous and damaged and at other times sweet, romantic, heroic and loyal. I enjoyed read more the love triangles, family drama, camaraderie and spirited, pretty heroine. Costumes and actors and cinematography were beautiful to look at. Fun exciting action and martial arts. Good fast pacing. The story moves along nicely. Several scenes - like the scene in the rain or the riding on horseback scene - are really memorable, stirring and dramatically presented. The emotional impact of the 2 main love stories build up really well in the first 3/4 of the drama really make the whole series worth watching for me.

I forgave plot holes or inconsistencies much of the time because it was so enjoyable to watch, but towards the end it fell apart and the actions of the characters didn't make sense to me. As a whole the events at the end didn't hold together to tell a cohesive or rewarding story. If only it could have finished as strongly as it started, I would've given it a 9 or 10. But still I'm glad I spent the time to watch it. It was worth it and it had me hooked to the last episode which not every drama can do.
Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People
If you like historical dramas, this one won't disappoint you. It's well paced, the writing is solid and the story doesn't let you down for 30 episodes. There is a heartwarming romance, rousing action and heroes that you can really route for. It's about family ties and loyalty, camaraderie and standing up to fight for what's right - no matter the cost and no matter how bleak your chances.

Yoon Gyun Sang read more is really good as the Gil Dong. He is believable as the Mighty Child with superhuman strength that evolves into a rebel, but is equally believable when his character is beaten down and vulnerable. Kim Sang Joong is commanding as Amogae - Gil Dong's father- who lived most his life as a slave but realizes his strength and spirit. Watching him at times gave me goosebumps. I particularly loved the father-son relationship between him and both the adult Gil Dong and the young Gil Dong.
Hwarang
Feb 24, 2017
Hwarang was entertaining. It could have been better, but I liked it, and would recommend it to people who aren't looking for a historical drama that is really serious, political or intellectually stimulating and just want to watch something fun with actors that are nice to look at.

There is a little bit of everything in this drama - love triangle, bromance, political intrigue, martial arts. It is a lite-sageuk - where read more the love triangle and romantic angst take center stage for much of the drama - not much complexity. I don't mind that so much, but the main criticism I have for this drama is that it just gives a little bit of everything and could have amped up the drama, action, bromance, intrigue in the middle and given a little less of the romantic angst. There are plot holes, storylines left hanging and potentially juicy scenes that could have been shown, but weren't. It is the type of show that makes you feel frustrated with it's characters or inconsistencies, yet compels you to tune in every week anyway. So that says something. The actors do a good job with what they are given.

PROS:
Beautiful to look at. The 2 main male leads are good and have charisma. I enjoyed the love triangle. The pacing and emotional impact of the drama starts off really strong and emotionally charged in the first several episodes, getting viewers invested in the characters and their dramatic backstories. You are introduced to a hidden king battling his fears and longing to be strong and good, a peasant with fighting skills and a noble heart, and a spunky heroine who tells racy stories in backrooms for money. The middle episodes are disappointing and messy with the story stalling and going in circles a bit. The characters that were set up nicely in the beginning aren't given much to do. But the ending is redeeming and rewards viewers who held on til the end.

CONS:
The bromance is implied, but I wish there could have been more male bonding scenes. More rousing adventure and drama in the middle episodes would have amped up the quality of this drama considerably.

But I'm glad I watched it. It was fun.
The Master's Sun
Feb 12, 2017
A fun, light romantic comedy with touches of horror mixed in. I started watching Master's Sun on a whim because I had heard people talk about it and the name was familiar. I had no idea what it was about before I clicked play. If I had known the premise before watching, I might not have started it because it's not something I would normally have chosen. But I'm glad I did. read more The first few episodes sucked me in. It was fun and intriguing and a little scary. The premise is really unbelievable and silly. I am not the hugest fan of the mean rich guy who falls for the awkward girl storyline. I'm not really a fan of ghost stories. Some of the dialogue seems strange and stiff. The storylines are really unbelievable. But, despite all these things that this drama didn't have going for it, I actually enjoyed it a lot. There were several times when the situations got really silly that I wondered to myself why do I like this? I think the main reason is the charisma and talent of the actors. They somehow make you really care for these farfetched characters no matter what outlandish situations they are put in.

The Pros:
I was surprisingly moved by the ghosts' stories that are introduced in each episode and even cried over characters that were introduced in just that one episode. I got into the main romance and felt their heartache when they separated and ended up binge watching it into the early morning. So Ji Sub is really good as Joo Joong Won. There's something really likable and charming about him even when he's acting rude and standoffish. He was the main thing I looked forward to watching on screen. Gong Shil and Joo Won have good chemistry especially considering how crazy it is that these 2 characters would fall for each other. The supporting characters were nice to look at as well. The mystery kept me guessing. The romantic storyline is predictable but the actors are so good they really make you feel for them.

The Cons:
The reason I don't rate it higher is that I think the plot stalls a little towards the middle. Some of the scenes seemed kind repetitive at times. But that didn't really stop me from caring about the characters and enjoying it til the end.
Legend of the Blue Sea
Jan 26, 2017
So lovely! Legend of the Blue Sea is delightful to watch. It's a fun mix of romance, comedy, action and fantasy. The story follows reincarnated star crossed lovers across to 2 timelines - with the Joseon timeline as a dramatic backdrop and the modern day story played out with more comedy and romance. I was surprised at how cute and funny most of the drama is. Even my kids laughed at all read more the "mermaid out of water" antics. Fans of both the stars will not be disappointed and fans of "My Love from Another Star" will most likely really enjoy it too. Though the plot and characters are totally different, they have a similar feel (but I would say this drama is a few notches lighter in tone and doesn't really try to be as emotionally heart wrenching).

Jeon Ji Hyeon is my favorite thing about this drama. Cheong, the mermaid character is strong, endearing and so funny. Lee Min Ho's con artist character is likable as well. Joon Jae seems similar to characters he's played in other dramas - kind of arrogant, charismatic and, underneath it all, a good guy. But I like him best when he is acting cute and happy. They are both so good. There is a reason they are so popular. Though this is mostly lighthearted, the sad emotional moments are stirring as well. I found myself laughing out loud (especially in the first half of the drama), crying, and swooning over the beauty and adorableness of the stars. Each episode is a visual treat.

The supporting characters are fun to watch too. The relationship between Joon Jae's roommates and the mermaid's friendships with the eclectic characters she befriends are sweet and satisfying. I enjoyed the little bit of Ocean's 11 feel with a couple of plot points that took me completely by surprise. The pacing is good with each episode revealing something new. The storylines don't get overly dragged out or complicated as they often do in dramas. The flashback scenes are a little too frequent and there may be things you can nitpick about some story details. But it is such a pretty and fun ride I can easily overlook it. This drama does what romance should do - leave your heart feeling warm and melty.
Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends
Visually stunning, jaw-dropping martial arts with compelling characters both good and bad. This movie takes up the story in the middle of the action where the second movie ends so you shouldn't watch this without watching the second movie at least. It shows a little more about how Kenshin came to be the reknowned ex-assassin with the gentle smile who has vowed to never kill again. The finale fight scene was one read more of the most impressive martial art scenes in any movie I've ever watched.
A Werewolf Boy
This movie mesmerized me from the first scene. It's really good story, well told and well acted. Soong Joong Ki is so impressive as the werewolf boy. I really believed it. With just facial expressions and body language he is frightening then cute then heartbreaking from one scene to the next. Park Bo Young is really good too as Suni. This isn't the conventional horror / werewolf story. At it's core, it read more is a poignant story about an unlikely friendship and romance, so I think this is a movie most people could relate to and enjoy.
Let's Eat 2
Jan 9, 2017
Just finished binge watching Let's Eat 2 after being completely taken with the first season of Let's Eat. It's good. The main appeal for me is we get a second helping of the charismatic Dae Young and more mouthwatering food scenes. There are a lot of plot similarities between this and the first season but the characters and relationships are different enough that it doesn't feel repetitive. The show does a good read more job of depicting the friendships, the trials and loneliness of single people living away from family with humor and compassion. I particularly enjoyed the realistic friendship between the 2 main characters. I found myself routing for the opinionated, prickly and likable heroine Soo ji.

The romance and friendship was more developed and feels more real this season. Where the first season was fluffy and fun, the second season is a more angsty with a little less attention given to food. This drama is likable and entertains on its own but i think it appeals more to fans of the first season who want to see more of Dae Young's character. I love his character because he is an everyday guy - someone who'd be fun to hang out with, always there to help his friends when they are in trouble, and always ready to give his opinions on food.

Though I enjoyed this overall I preferred the first season because the supporting characters were more entertaining there. The supporting characters here never really grew on me and I found myself always wanting to fast forward to see Dae Young, Soo ji, and Sang Woo instead. I found myself annoyed by the meddling of the grandma character and was really turned off by the landlady and Joo Seung characters. If they hadn't taken up so much screen time I would have rated this drama much higher. The mystery sub plot was particularly unappealing.

Still, overall I'd recommend this to food lovers and romantic comedy fans. The friendship, romance and delicious food scenes make up for the weaknesses. I iiked the main story and characters enough that I might even rewatch it.
Let's Eat
Jan 6, 2017
One of the most pleasurable drama viewing experiences I've ever had. The characters were so lovable that they drew me into their world enough to make me binge watch this in just a couple days. It is a fun and light drama about everyday, quirky, cute singles and their friendships and crushes with a back drop of delicious food scenes. Some of the themes brought back memories of the days when I read more was single and lived alone. If you are the type of person who enjoys watching cooking shows for fun you will most likely love this. Every episode features 3-4 long scenes that showcase the food and the people enjoying it. I can see why some people might think there are too many food scenes but I enjoyed them to the last episode and found myself smiling gleefully along with the characters during these scenes. I thought this was a genius idea for a drama because there is never an awkward way to work the food theme into the plot since we all eat several times a day.

The romance builds slowly and organically. In fact halfway into the drama I was perfectly satisfied that this was just about friendship and food and being single. So as the romance started developing I was taken by surprise and delighted that they could so deftly work in a cute little romance and love rectangle into the show. Though the plot takes its time, I never felt bored because it is more about the people and the food than about finding out what happens next. And many scenes stand on their own as entertaining eye candy which makes it a good rewatch drama for me.

I loved all the characters but especially the 2 male leads. Yoon Doo Joon as Dae Yeong is so quirky, funny and likable - boundlessly nice but unpredictable and somewhat mysterious. I love his didactic food sermons and want to be his friend. Shim Hyung Tak as Attorney Kim is hilarious as the vain but endearingly heartsick boss. He is such a funny character - so handsome, yet ridiculous and lovable in his own way. He cracked me up.

There weren't any moments where I felt frustrated or annoyed with the plot or characters as I do when watching most dramas. There is a small mystery thriller sub plot worked in to provide a little extra drama. And I enjoyed this. It is handled lightly and not taken too seriously, but keeps you guessing.

Now I'm going to watch the sequel.
Coffee Prince
Sep 23, 2016
This is sweet romantic comedy with likable characters and friendships. Aside from the totally unrealistic premise of a girl fooling everyone into thinking she is a guy for so long, I appreciated how it depicted the couple relationships and problems in a modern realistic way. The 2 leads get lots of warm, sweet and sexy moments together. I love the theme of loving someone so much purely for who they are rather read more than what they are.

Some small complaints are that the secondary storylines were not as entertaining as the main storyline. The pacing is a little slow. It feels like a leisurely stroll not boring but it could have been a little snappier. I didn't enjoy the gross out bodily humor. I don't think it added to the comedy. It just made me feel grossed out. But these are small things compared to how much I enjoyed the main romantic storyline. Romantic comedy lovers will really like this drama.
Empress Ki
Sep 19, 2016
I am conflicted about Empress Ki because for the first 30-ish episodes or so, it was so perfectly enthralling- to the point where I would say it was in the top 2 dramas I have watched - a perfect mix of romance, wonderful characters, strong smart female lead, great martial arts action scenes, exciting fast-paced plot, beautiful cinematography, beautiful actors, makeup and costumes, great acting. I fell so in love with the read more story and characters within the first few episodes that the characters stayed in my mind throughout the day. The King and Nyang were so brave and noble and bad ass. And the Emperor character was so vulnerable and childlike. Despite his major character flaws, I rooted for him grow up and and be strong. The love triangle was so perfectly set up to be heartbreaking. The emperor's love for Nyang was so unwavering and pure.

If you are worried about the length of the drama, that is not a problem. It goes by so fast, because each episode has so much plot going on and you just have to keep watching the next episode and the next to see what happens. After the first 20 minutes the plot was well underway. It didn't take the first 3 hours or so like many other dramas to get going. I was thoroughly hooked after 20 minutes.

But having said all that Empress Ki is really flawed. The last third was a huge let down. The plot went crazy. Characters and alliances shifted in the blink of any eye. Suspension of disbelief was extremely tested. And worst of all, the main characters don't have enough meaningful screen time together to keep up with the emotional resonance of the first half. The emotionally satisfying scenes are really sparse in the last part of the story. The character development seemed to stop during the last part of the drama and political intrigue took over. But all the plot turns didn't all make sense or add to the story in a meaningful way. Even the over-arching revenge storyline felt rushed and anti-climactic. The episodes became bogged down by too many plot twists and evil characters. The story no longer had the same emotional impact as the beginning. The actions of even the most beloved characters were frustrating and hard to swallow. The last third of the drama was painful to watch. But still I Ioved the characters so much by this time I had to see it through. After watching it to the end, I feel like I have been strapped down in the imperial palace's torture chamber for the last several episodes and feel pummeled and depressed.

Reading all the other reviews I see that not everyone feels the same way about the last part of this drama, so there is a good chance you will like Empress Ki if you like melodramatic action historical drama. For me, knowing how let down I was by the second half, would I prefer to have never met these characters or started this drama to begin with? Well, I think I would probably go back and do it again. That's how much I loved Empress Ki despite it's major flaws. But I think I need a romantic comedy now to give my heart a break.
Fabricated City
I was looking forward to this because I love Ji Chang Wook and I like action films when they are well done. But it was disappointing. There is plenty of action, but very little in the way of character development. JCW and the other actors aren't given much interesting to say. This movie cuts from one action scene to the next with very little in between to make you care about what read more happens to these characters.
Tenno no Ryoriban
Inspirational story. This biographical drama is a heartwarming and sometimes heart wrenching story about a hapless, irresponsible guy who finds his calling as a chef and goes on to become the master chef for the Emperor of Japan. One of the best dramas I've watched yet, this underdog story set in the early 20th century hooked me from the first episode to the last and had me binge watching it all week. read more Based on a true story, the characters are fleshed out people who support and believe in each other. Sato Takeru portrays Tokuzu so well, I can't believe he is the same guy who plays the assassin swordsman in Rurouni Kenshin. I have a lot of respect this actor who can perform such demanding action scenes and then do such a different role so well. Starting off portraying the younger troublesome Tokuzo, he convincingly shows the character's development as he becomes a mature man with great responsibilities during turbulent times.

There is a touching love story, but it is not the focus of the the drama. Foodies will enjoy the attention given to food preparation and the drama and trials of becoming a chef and working in a kitchen. Though it is a historical drama about a chef, anyone can relate to it because really it is about finding your dream, striving for it and the family and loved ones that support you along the way. It reminds you to think about how you are living and working and whether you are putting your heart into everything you do.

November 30