38 Task Force

• Tags: Criminal, Con Artist
  • Rating: 15+ - Teens 15 or older

SuchismitaTripathy
Aug 7, 2016
Have you watched a drama that you want to know how it ends but you don't want it to end because if it ends, you wouldn't find anything equivalent to this? Well look no more. The story of this drama is one of a kind not the regular thief and criminal, cat and mouse hunt. If you're tired of the gooey romance and the common love triangles, and you want something more substantial go for it because this deserves all the praises it can get.

Story : the story is almost flawless and fast paced enough that there isn't a single episode that wouldn't give you a high. The twists and turns that happen are almost realistic and you will find yourself getting slipped into the story.

Acting : Ma Dong Seok and Seo In Gook. DO i need say more? the characters in the drama are played so well, you start believing in them. They take you a roller coaster ride and they do it well!!

Sash
Aug 7, 2016
I dont write reviews normally. But for this drama, I had to :D ! Probably one of the best I have watched till date. The writer keeps you on hook until the end. Twistception at its finest. You wont be able to predict anything, trust me ! Not to mention, each of the characters have a special spot in my heart now. Of course, this is only due to the spectacular acting by the stellar cast. Seo In Guk and Ma Dong Seok stole the show :) With shows like these though, re-watch might not be as great an experience as when you watched it the first time. So with a very heavy heart, I say goodbye to these wonderful characters but with the hope that one day I would have forgotten the story enough to return back to it again.

BrightestStar
Aug 7, 2016
I've got mixed feelings about this drama. It had aspects I really liked, and others that just annoyed me. Still I got a very satisfying results in the end.

Let's start with the things I enjoyed. I enjoyed the presentation and development of a number of characters. Mainly, Baek Seong Il and Yang Jeong Do. I can confirm the people we see at the end are not the same as the people meet in the beginning. It was very gradual though, and felt organic how each got influenced by the other. As most, I loved the relationship between the two. It's not the usual bromance, but as real partners (in crime :P).

Other characters I enjoyed are a number of villains. The Maire for one is pretty intriguing. He really doesn't see himself as a bad guy, and you know he does really try, but over time he learns why it's still not good enough. There is one scene in the end between the Maire and Sung Il that is one of the strongest scenes in the drama that explores his character deeply. I've mentioned before that I really hated Ahn, but he makes an interesting villain. It's the way he becomes and villain and the things that motivate him that are interesting. Finally, more than Choi Chul Woo, I find Bang Pil Kyu to be a terrifying villain, in a good way. Everyone else served their purpose in the drama, but didn't have a lot of development happening. Sung Hee had a little change where she becomes more flexible, hence less annoying.

Also another plus, the last con was just BRILLIANT! The music was very fitting.

The acting varied from excellent to average, but all were very fitting in their roles. I think those who played the characters I liked are those that stood out in their acting.

As for the things that annoy me, first is Choi Chul Woo. He's such an uninspiring villain. I guess he was just easy to hate and want to go down, but ultimately I just didn't care enough.

Mostly what I found annoying was all the red herring and have scenes that get revealed later the drama gives us. I mean all I was thinking *come on you're not fooling me at this point, this trick is getting old*. Yeah it was pretty repetitive. Also some story threads were left semi-unfinished. What happened to that person who got beat up? We never find out.

Still it was worth the watch for me. I enjoyed it, totally recommend it for the fun of it.

PS: The drama gives us a very interesting surprise in the end so do keep watching until the last minute.

CrusadingAngel
Aug 7, 2016
Overall this drama was not too bad. Originally I begin watching this with very low expectations. Those expectations were slightly uncalled for because the show was much better than I expected. 38 Task Force is a show that is broken down into about 4-5 different arcs. 38 task force is a force that is composed of many people from different walks of life. In each arc the task force is attempting to con people into paying their taxes. I found the show to be very exciting in the first few episodes. However there was one problem with the story that really bothered me. Continue reading the story section below to better understand what I'm getting at. This won't really be a spoiler, but more likely a plot element that I want to talk about. I suggest you read the parts below only after you've finished the show.

Story: [8/10] I really like the story at the very beginning of show. It continuously kept me on the edge of my seat with its' quick-punching action. However, I begin to grow bored as the show went on. One of the reason is because this is not a show where you will see much character development. The show can be literally be summarized into one sentence. Again, 38 Task Force is a show where the task force is conning people into paying their taxes. The problem with this sentence is that these the writers wrote these scams in essentially the same ways. The writers try to trick you into thinking that each con has gone wrong through one way or another. In reality, it's always a part of the task force's plan. The problem with the cons is that they seem too perfect. The writers want you to think something has gone wrong with each con but in reality that is never the truth. This wouldn't be a problem if this plot device/element was used once. It ends up being a problem because the writer used this concept for basically each con in the show. I probably would have gave the story a 9 if the writer didn't make the show predictable by using the same plot driving device over and over.

Acting/Cast: [8/10] Overall the cast wasn't too bad. I was not overly impressed with the acting or cast. At the same I wasn't unimpressed as well. I mostly watched this show for Seo In Guk.

Music: [8/10] The music was pretty average. It really depends on your taste in music.

Overall I thought that this show was pretty average. It was something that was worth watching once but probably not a second time. I watched it simply because of the main actor. This show may be for you if you like a show that has an arc-like story about cons.

nixva
Aug 20, 2016
I don't even know how to start this review for this drama left such an impact on me that I think I'm only going to recover a week from now. But anyways, I'm going to be completely honest and say that the reason I initiated watching this show was because of Ma Dong Seok, I loved his work for a while now so I was truly happy to see that he was doing another drama. However the plot was what really got me hooked on this. This story was exceptionally well written. Considering that, both the writer and the director also worked on 'Bad Guys' together, I already expected that. I don't know if the writer is some kind of god of writing dramas or it's just my creativity that is too low, but I often fond myself thinking "how did this happen?" or "how did they think of that?". Some might say that the story was extremely predictable, yet I could not even tell what was going to happen in the next few minutes. The acting was overall good, yet I feel some actors were way better than others. One actor that really caught my eye was Jung In Ki, who made the role of the detective, his acting was so amazing that I don't have enough words to describe it. However Choi Soo Young(Seong Hee) acting was so weak that I can't actually remember a special charm that her character had, her acting was really forgettable and it didn't contributed a lot for the drama. On the orther hand, Ma Dong Seok and Seo In Guk were absolutely flawless. The music for this drama is SO GOOD that I have been listening to it for over a month straight! It fits so amazingly with the atmosphere of the show that it's almost impossible to not give it a ten. I rarely rewatch shows because I never felt interest in doing it, so I always give a low rewatch note. But I feel this one is even lower because if you see this drama for a second time then you already know everything that is going to happen, which could make the drama a little more boring to watch, seeing that the plot twists are what really makes the show good. So overall it was an AMAZING drama that you should definitely watch it once in your lifetime!

rachel
May 28, 2017
Heist/scam artist shows aren't unique to Korean dramas/movies, what really made this show enjoyable was the ensemble of characters, especially the partnership between a bumbling upright civil servant and a sleek smooth talking scam artist, which was the beating heart of the show. Ma Dong Seok and Seo In Guk had great chemistry and partnership.

At the start, the heists and scams were impressive, logistically and also psychologically. However, with the inevitable escalation of the stakes of the heists, my expectations were raised again and again for what the final heist/scam would be. I feel a little sad to say that I was somewhat disappointed by what was meant to be the final plot or climax of the show.

However, even if the snazzy heist plotlines were taken away, the show would still be buoyed by the chemistry amongst the ensemble of characters, which were lovingly written and assembled, and gave the show a lot of heart.

purplenette
Aug 9, 2016
I have mixed feelings regarding 38 Task Force. It is unique in writing and directing style. It is kind of Oceans 11 type drama. It has a revenge element mixed with the characters' desire to do something for the Korean citizens. I would have given it a higher score, but the ending felt unfinished. I also felt there was some balls dropped here and there along the way. Still it was entertaining and a fun watch.

I know everyone is gushing over Seo In Guk as Yang Jeong Do and he is really good.
But for me the drama is all about Ma Dong Seok as Baek Seong Il. I'm totally in love with him and his way of acting. He feels real to me and that is my favorite form of acting. The other actors are good also, but nothing really stands out.

I enjoyed the music.

I won't ever rewatch this. I think it is boring to rewatch dramas like this.

If you like suspenseful dramas, then this is definitely one to watch.

jellybine
Aug 8, 2016
I tend to follow Seo In-guk with whatever direction his going so I'm officially on this show once he's signed on. On the more objective reason, I watched Bad Guys and I liked it so I presumed that this will be good too.

The Story
I honestly didn't like this at first sight because the whole setup of the drama is really frustrating and saddening. How lonely is it to do your work properly and still have those with money trample on you? But once my In-guk and the Squad was gathered, it was purely intense and suspenseful project to finish. It's really rare to watch a drama with twists and turns every episode which makes you wonder what will happen to our squad. The schemes, conflicts, and escape routes are all well thought of and executed.

The Cast
I don't think I need to say much about Seo In-guk so I'll skip that *swoons*. Ma Dong-seok is awesome. He really is amazing by acting as the oppressed chief of the tax collection department. The other supporting characters complimented each other during their heists. There is no clear line here as to who is good or evil which makes our characters multi-faceted and deep.

Overall
While watching it, I realized that this is hardcore crazy. This is definitely not fluffy and easy to watch bu5 it's exciting. I found out that I'm so good with the making sounds because it left me saying "eeeeeek", "iiiiihhhh", "aaaaah", "oooooh" and "uuuugh" all those times.

Oddy
Apr 30, 2017
Great fun show with lots of plot twists!

This drama was overall very fun and enjoyable to watch, perfect if you want to be kept on the edge of your seat. The mismatched set characters really works and you can't help but like all of them. The dynamic is great between them and I appreciated that the bromance aspect took over the romance one.

It's also quite nice to see that the "bad guys" weren't the usual mean and evil guys, but more realistic ones.
Saxonblues89
Oct 4, 2016
I love the premise of this show and the cast is so colorful. Episode 1 is a bit boring, but in Episode 2 the show really picks up and gets much better from there. Seo in Guk does SUCH a great job of being a con artist. It was weird for me to see him here after watching him portray a high schooler/business man in High School King of Savy, but this role suits him so well! Definitely need to watch if just to see the sheer amount of A+ scamming this team pulls off.
Melakward
Aug 29, 2016
Why I watched it: Seo In Guk. That’s pretty much all I needed.

Was it worth it: Probably?

What I liked the most: The cons. It’s fun to see the guys you’re rooting for get the upper hand.

What I disliked the most: There was a lot of content overlap and it got a bit muddled towards the end.

Moment Meter: 2/10 – Not too many romantic moments, but there were a few feel good “gotcha” moments in there.

Other thoughts: There are a lot of characters, so you have to pay attention, especially to names. The constant cons can also break your brain if you’re not paying attention. After a while you just start second guessing everything. There were some cute parts. It had a bit of an Ocean’s 11 feel to it at the beginning. The ending was pretty solid, but again, you have to pay attention. I would have liked to see more between Yang Jeong Do and Cheon Seong Hee, but then again I’m a sucker for romance. Rewatchable only if you were lost the first time you saw it.

Conclusion: A solid drama. It could have been cooler given the subject matter, but not bad all together.

AnnGominho
Aug 24, 2016
Adoro o Seo In Guk, e foi um dos maiores motivos para eu assistir... Acabei demorando alguns episódios pra pegar gosto pelo drama, mas depois que a coisa andou... Achei a "gangue dos golpistas" genial! hahaha O retorno de um dos "violões" para ajudá-los a acabar com o chefão de uma vez por todas foi ótimo também... A retomada da "confusão de identidades" do começo também foi inteligente. Mas queria apenas mais um episodiozinho.... Quanto a OST, praticamente só tem uma música - se não for somente, tô confusa agora hahaha - enfim, ela anima e dá aquele embalo nas ações dos nossos golpistas favoritos. Gostei de ver que cada um deles teve de fato uma importância, não estavam ali apenas pra preencher buraco... Não tenho muito apresso pela Soo Younge acabei não vendo muita graça na personagem dela...