The Bride of Habaek

• Ranked: #2079
  • Members: 13,889
SuchismitaTripathy
Aug 23, 2017
Are you looking for a great plot?
Are you looking for a gripping adrenaline fest to watch on the edge of your seat?
Are you looking for a mature story line and brilliant characters?

THEN DON'T WATCH IT !!!!

Not only that this is a huge snooze fest, The actors and the characters have absolutely spark and the story makes no sense. This was the biggest disappointment of 2017 after last year's uncontrollably fond. Not only they managed to completely destroy a beautiful story but they reached new heights of trying to make a fool out of the viewers. This whole drama was just pretty people declaring themselves as deities and acting like snobby little bastards and squabbling like high school kids. The story was long lost and there was almost no chemistry between the leads.

Genre : rom-com, supernatural, manwha

Story : This drama was inspired from the manwha series Bride of water god by Yoon Mi Kyung and then they went ahead to rip the story into shreds turning it into bullshit. If you're looking for a similar story as the manwha about sacrifice, love and grace and politics, then go watch something else because this has absolutely none of that shit. The so called god of water is a narcissistic asshole who's self-centered to the point you're annoyed. Yoon So Ah is a materialistic bitch who is way too involved in acting like the victim. The story makes no sense till a while and the characters that actually were exciting like the one of Im Joo Hwan and the nurse aren't developed further. At least Goblin developed all the characters well.

Actors : Shin se kyung is a bad actress and i don't think i am going to watch any of her other dramas. Nam Joo hyuk's acting was a wasted opportunity same as In joo Hwans story. There is almost no chemistry between the leads and the other side actors aren't that commendable. The only surprise in the package was Crystal who surprisingly was way better than the drama.

Will i watch it again... Hell No.

Will i recommend it to anyone?... I am doing a public service by advising you to go look for some other drama. Seriously there are tons of better ones out there.

kingsqueen
Aug 23, 2017
I had higher expectations for this drama, so I was slightly disappointed that the plot and the acting didn't quite live up to those. HOWEVER, despite this, I was still engaged with this show and enjoyed it even though it was flawed.

My first criticism is for the plot. I want to preface this by saying that I've never read the comic, so I wasn't influenced in any way by the source material. The issue is that the backstory information that would have been so helpful to understanding what was going on was dribbled out like crumbs on the trail in Hansel and Gretel. I wanted to know more, but the writers would have the characters give some cryptic piece of dialogue and then fail to explain well enough that I felt satisfied as a viewer. The answers came "too little, too late" for many people and I felt somewhat like that myself. I was mostly satisfied with the answers we finally received, but not 100%. I also tend to believe that the budget may have been cut early on. The reason I say so is because the "realm of the gods" was only shown briefly, even though it was splendid. And Ha Baek came through to the human's realm without his powers. He was able to use them twice, and they were marvelous special effects, but then they were not used again. I think they made a good choice to cut the special effects rather than lose production value, but I think they made it a little obvious anyway since the show really could have been something special with a bigger budget.

The acting was fine, but not phenomenal. I think Nam Joo Hyuk was not quite the right choice for Ha Baek. He's adorable, sure. And I've enjoyed his other works. But I don't know that he carried the weight of the role as well as a more experienced actor may have. He wasn't a horrible choice, but I just think they could have done better. On the plus side he was VERY cute. :) And Shin Se Kyung got a lot of criticism for her acting, but I don't think she is a bad actress at all. She played her role fine. The chemistry between the two was hit and miss. Sometimes I thought it was there, and other times, not so much. Im Joo Hwan really knocked it out of the park, though, and was one of the lone actors that really stood out in this show. So much so, that a lot of viewers kept watching for him alone. The other actors were fine. Not anything special, but just fine.

Now, the music on the otherhand, was beautiful. I absolutely loved the track, Glass Bridge. Mesmerizing song! I don't know the names of the others, but the music was lovely. The cinematography was beautiful as well.

I can't say I would re-watch this. Maybe after I read the comic, more of the story will fall into place and I'll understand it better, but that's about it. I do think they ended the show much better than I was expecting, even if it was a bit anticlimactic. This show wasn't horrible by any means, and I hate that so many people gave up on it so quickly. But it was a decent watch even though it didn't live up to its potential. I'm not mad I spent the time watching it.

Aspyre
Aug 23, 2017
The Bride of Habaek is the best representation of a great manhwa story adapted into a smaller slice of it and forced into an ordinary modern setting so as to appeal to a greater range of people and to cut those budget costs on costumes and sets.

The story barely made any sense and even when it did, it left you wondering if perhaps they wrote a little bit of the script and then realized how many plot holes it has and then added onto it, which made it very weirdly paced and mostly mellowed out and too chill for what this was originally supposed to be.

Kudos to Im Joo Hwan, I'm pretty sure that during the airing time of this drama the commentary that I've read both on MDL and other websites pointed out how fond the viewers were of his character and how much we've all been invested in his story from the very start. The other characters, however, were quite bland and felt a little bit like stand-in cardboards for Twilight-ish kinda roles, definitely not that appealing. I did root for the secondary couples, since the main ship had zero chemistry and even the romantic scenes felt awkward to watch most of the time.

The saving grace of this drama is its OST, which I'm sure we'll all remember for quite awhile, it greatly helped in a few moments in the plot where the acting was terrible and the overall musical background to the scenes was well-thought out.

To be honest, the only reason I could watch this through all of its episodes was because I watched only one episode in awhile, and took it as a slow-paced but consistent messy drama that it is. I would definitely never watch it again, but it was surprisingly such a miss in so many aspects that everything lacking did lower its level to a very linear-feeling experience which was, due to its comfortingly non-changing nature, strangely watchable.

If you're here for a supernatural romantic story, go watch something else from the genre. If you're here for a slow-paced, not so serious, modern-setting varation of the original manhwa that you're not gonna binge watch, you might want to try it. It would be very dishonest to recommend this as anything else, so if you want to experience this kind of a story in a proper way and to enjoy some beautiful art and writing in the process, opt for the manhwa instead.

fuyu
Sep 15, 2017
being a huge fan of the manga, i was really excited to see a modern take on the show, but sadly it all went to shit.

story 4/10

i really disliked the plot of this new drama, and how they kept emphasizing on yoon so ah's lack of money, the first few episodes seemed like a pity party for her. the story was really interesting for about 7 episodes, but the writers screwed up the ending so bad, i couldn't even watch the last episode.

cast 6/10

honestly i think shin se kyung did an okay job at so ah, but there was literally no chemistry between her and habaek. nam joo hyuk was eh? i feel like his stiff acting was to portray the cold god that habaek is but he literally has 3 expressions in the entire show. i ended up watching the show solely for moora and biryeom, which both krystal and gong myung portrayed very well. as for the im joo hwan, i thought his acting was great, but he felt very out of place in the story. he seems to complicate the story and relationship more than necessary.

music 5.5/10

songs were okay but felt too repetitive after awhile.

just don't watch the drama, it's really not worth it at all.

Mikoto
Sep 6, 2017
PLOT-3/5
This drama was a complete disappointment. I know it was hyped up since everyone thought it was going to be like Goblin but it is not!! Initially, it was pretty cool since they are Gods but after that, all they do is boast that they are Gods and it gets really boring. There isn't really much character development. In fact, the second couple was so much better. There was good growth that you can see.

CAST-4/5
They were pretty much okay but there was NO CHEMISTRY at all between Shin Se Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk that the romance parts looked more like awkward parts than romantic.

ACTING-3.5/5
Krystal and Gong Myung were hella amazing! Even for Im Joo Hwan, their acting was so good that it seemed more like they were the main in this drama.

RECOMMEND-0/5
Definitely a NO NO to watch if you can't stand any of the above. TBH, I would say it was a waste of my time to watch but the second couple made things more pleasant.

Lia
Aug 23, 2017
"The Bride of the Water God" divided opinions, we had people who loved and find it the best drama ever, and people who hated and thinks it's the worst drama ever. It's a 50/50 situation. I personally found it a disappointment, but even though it was not the best I've ever seen, it's not the worst.

*Get ready for a long review *

"The Bride of the Water God" had an excellent base story, but then they decided to turn a melodrama with a not-so-lucky ending into a romantic comedy, it just went wrong.

Story: The initial plot was simple, a God who comes to earth with a goal and ends up falling in love with a human and that love is forbidden. But as the drama progressed the writers simply abandoned the initial premise and it started to be a bit difficult to keep up with what was happening, leaving to the very end to really solve the loose endings. The story had a predictable ending, which for a moment, left me with even more questions than when I had first started to watch.

If you like the main couple, even if you don't like genre, you will probably still watch it anyway. The main couple in "The Bride of the Water God", had little to no chemistry, something that made me very annoyed at times, because sometimes they seemed like two robots acting, something that improves a little in the final episodes.
In CEO Shin's arc, the stories improved a bit, so much so that the only reason I continued to see was for him and for Moora and Biryeom, who had more chemistry than the main couple. CEO Shin has a complex but really interesting story.

I have to admit that my two favorite characters throughout the drama were Moora and Biryeom, although Moora was supposed to be the bad one, her relationship with Biryeom stole, at least for me, the spotlight from the main couple.

Cast / Acting: Personally I think the two actors who got the main roles were not the best choice. I had already seen Nam Joo Hyuk in other dramas, and he is someone with a lot of potential, but who was not prepared for this role. Not that he was bad at all, but there were times when it was a little cringeworthy to see him. I think a more experienced actor would be able to handle better such a complex 3000-year-old God.
Shin Se Kyung, I can't say much about her, because it's the first work I see of her, I don't think she is such a bad actress as people are saying, but she isn't an excellent actress either. The biggest problem I see in her is the fact she suffers from something that I like to call stone resting face, th emotionless face expression, making her tries of demonstrate some emotion seem very forced and unnatural, it's something that I think she should work on for her next drama.
The biggest surprise for me in this drama was undoubtedly Krystal, because I always thought she wasn't a good actress, but I was completely mistaken, which made me quite happy.

The OST in this drama was normal, none of the songs excelled for me, it suited the mood, but it was no big deal.

My biggest problem with this drama was its slow pass, everything went by very slowly, the drama focused more on things that did not matter more than on those that really mattered, making the drama very annoying at times. And with that, the episodes became very repetitive without much to add to the story development. (Habaek did something bad, So-Ah was annoyed, he did something cute and she was already okay with him again, this is a summary of almost every episode). On the other hand the cinematography and the special effects were quite good, it was sad that they focused more on fancy effects than on the actual plot.

Will I watch this drama again? Probably not anytime soon. If I recommend to watch it? Yes... if you really don't have anything better to do. This drama is not the worst I've seen, but neither is the best, I think it left much to be desired for how hyped it was.

Elle
Aug 23, 2017
Despite everything, Bride of the Water God was a cute drama with an adorable couple. I am disappointed that it wasn't able to live up to expectations, but the drama has a bit of its own charm.

The story itself is a bit scattered. It may be that it was trying to accomplish too much at once and wasn't able to execute on anything very well. I had a very hard time keeping engaged with the story and the lore of the Immortal Realm in particular. The original work would certainly fall into the mellow drama category. This drama is more of a romantic comedy. The constant pull between mellow drama and comedy is very distracting to the overall telling of the story.

Unfortunately, casting Nam Joo Hyuk as the lead character Habaek turned out to be a poor decision. Nam Joo Hyuk proved to be much too green to pull off the 3000 year old Habaek. Though he is cute and charming in parts ... other moments seem down right cringeworthy. Even though Habaek is supposed to be a bit of a man child, the childish demeanor washes away most of the sex appeal of the original Water God. Out of all the things I've seen Nam Joo Hyuk in, this is probably easily his weakest performance. I feel like he never really gets used to acting the part of Habaek.

Actually the character story that I was most intrigued with was Shin Hoo Ye played by Im Joo Hwan. I feel like Im always is cast as deep, complex characters. I loved CEO Shin story arc. His backstory and character development was so compelling, it ultimately distracted from the lead couple. Still rooting for a Happy Ending for Hoo Ye!

Though this drama was far from perfect, there were some charmingly touching parts. I did enjoy watching it. I just probably won't be revisiting it anytime soon.

Pinocchio
Aug 24, 2017
First this wouldn't be considered as the best but I did like it, at first I only watched it bc of my love for the manhwa and SSK but I was skeptical at first bc there was NJH and Krystal which I've watched their projects where they were leads n did not like it but this drama is decent.
Props to IJH his acting was the best next would be SSK.
This drama took me on an emotional ride felt sad, happy, scared, anxious,etc... all of my emotions were brought out.
Hope that they'll have a season 2 since I want to know more but overall this drama is pretty decent wouldn't say it's the best or worst.

YoongiGotSwag
Sep 9, 2017
okay so this is my first review and im gonna be honest.

i was really excited for this drama because it had all of my favorite actors. Nam Joo Hyuk, Krystal, Im Joo Hwan AND Gong Myung.

The story was actually good and funny at the starting but in the end it got so boring. The story wasnt progressing at all, An episode is of one hour but it looked like 2 hours of even more than that.

In the end, i was so confused and disappointed that how did the story script even get such good actors.

I hope all these actors' next drama is good and gets better ratings.
Hikoru
Aug 23, 2017
This drama really frustrated me. It had so much potential but sadly it didn't turn out all so well.

The Story:
The story itself is really interesting and had a lot of potential. Sadly it didn't turn out the way I hoped it would. The story was no existent throughout most of the drama. There was no big drama, not much story at all and no plot twists. The story the drama tried to convey was really light and nothing really interesting as also a lot of things didn't make sense and were unrelatable and characters sometimes acted in ways that didn't fit. Especially the first two episodes were really dragged out and for the most people properly pretty boring. However, I can say that the light romance it portrayed was easy to watch and somewhat enjoyable to me.

The characters:
A lot of the side characters were pretty useless in this drama and they were used mostly to fill the episodes. The other characters didn't have much depth and we don't get to know much about their history either and if we do then they spend really little time on it and then later in the drama act like nothing happened. However, some characters go through a decent amount of character development.
In my eyes, the characters were annoying from time to time as they acted irrational or didn't stand up for themselves but that is really subjective.

The acting:
The acting was ok if I look at the whole drama but especially in the beginning it was hard to watch. While some improved throughout the drama, others just really did a bad job in fitting into the role. Especially the chemistry between the actors was really bad, to say the least. Im Joo Hwan was the only one who really stood out with his performance and gave the drama somewhat of a story.

The music:
The music was hands down the best thing about this drama. It fitted the situations really great and underlined the emotions portrayed by the actors.

Conclusion:
Don't go into the drama expecting too much. This is a drama that has many flaws and if you expect it to be perfect or to have an intense story this is definitely not the right drama. If you want some light romance or a drama that is easy to watch with some pretty faces and great music then this might be right for you. I also recommend not reading the manga before watching the drama as many people were even more disappointed because the drama is actually really different from the manga. I certainly kinda enjoyed it while it lasted because it was just easy to watch, nothing serious. Would I rewatch it though? No.

Ahjumma
Aug 4, 2017
If you are bored or a fan of pretty people not acting well, well this is the drama for you!

I adore NJH & Gong Myung. Thought Crystal couldn't act but she surprised me here. But SSK doesn't work in this drama. You can tell they casted people on name a lone and didn't bother to do chemistry reads.

This is a perfect of example of having great base work (the manhwa) and when you misdirect and miscast something. This really had potential to be great. Especially from the snippets we got before the show started. Stunning cinematography (aside from their powers) but this drama 10 episodes doesn't seem to be mounting up to much about anything. But leads have no chemistry at all and acting seems dry and very stiff.

Worth carrying on? Not for me. Checking out of the drama. Good luck!

Meineke
Aug 23, 2017
Honestly, the show isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Just forget NJH's RL drama and watch it with an open mind. The story is a bit messy and confusing right till the end but if you love romance as much as I do, then you won't mind as much.

The exceptional beauty of most of the cast members were at times distracting. But for the most part, I think everyone did a good job. There was good chemistry between the main characters as well Moo Ra and Bi Ryum. Also a special mention for Im Joo Hwan who is always such a consistent performer. The rest of the supporting actors didn't have much to do because of the weak script.

Music was one of the best parts of the show. This soundtrack will stay on my playlist for a long while.

So to sum it up, you'll enjoy the show if you go in with little expectations. Give it a try, the romance and awesome music might just win you over.