Because of You

sebba
Mar 31, 2017
This isn't a ground breaking drama with a new and different story. This is an average melodrama story. However it does everything right so that you finish the drama overwhelmed by a deep sense of satisfaction. Watching this drama it did my heart so much good! Maybe it's because the world can be so unjust that we take justice wherever we can. Let me be clear this story isn't about redemption... it's about justice and that's why I loved it so much.

The acting is outstanding. You really hate the evil characters as much as you love the good ones. I love how all the relationships muddle, so that it's not just about our heroine and the guy who loves her but it's about the heroine, her mum, her other mum, her sister, her father, her friend, her aunt, her mentor AND also about the guy who loves her, his brother and his father and mum and other mum AND how all these lives are entangled and how all the relationships and dynamics are played out. There are some beautiful heart-wrenching scenes including bittersweet ones in between those that pierce your heart - burning it even BUT oh man, when that justice comes the balm is so much sweeter for it.

The production value is high with everything looking really shiny and nice which is appropriate for a drama about embroidery. The Yun Kai's suits though... :S Still this is a minor quibble, my one other being that I felt that the ending was rushed. The original had more details in the ending, and I would have loved to have seen that played out in this version BUT still it's minor complaint.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Meg
Apr 28, 2017
Another drama where you want to cry over the injustice the female lead has to face and love to hate the conniving antagonist. One minute you swoon over the sweetness between the lead OTPs while the next you want to slap the foster-sister for all her tricks and lies. Talk about lying to cover up more lies. The sister had perfected this technique.
The Drama mainly focuses on the journey of the female lead finding out her true roots and reconciling with her family with the male lead supporting her along the way. We come to see the relationship between three generations of a family.... starting from the grandmother, her two daughter-in-laws, and her real and adopted granddaughters as they fight for the role of the head of the embroidery business. Old and new secrets come to light as the power struggle comes to a head.
Watching the OTP in the drama was really satisfying. It was nice to see the male lead coming to understand the goodness of the female lead and falling in love more than ever. Their romance evolved beautifully along the duration of the drama.

Joanne
Oct 31, 2017
It has been such a long time since I have watched a drama that could make me tear up soo many times.

This is a very good family drama that had me in tears throughout the show. I loved the story and all the actors/actresses who portrayed the characters. Although I was originally led to this drama because of Deng Lun and a YouTube FMV (fan made video), once I started the first episode I was immediately hooked in. I completely disregarded romance, and was actually watching it because it had a meaningful and engaging story line.

Because of Meeting You is a story of how powerful family and love can lead to both selflessness and selfishness. Everything the majority of the characters ever do in this drama is because they care for someone, but in the process, their actions end up harming other people. There are definitely just as many heart-wrenching scenes as there are heartwarming scenes.

At times, Yuxin (the sister) really got on my nerves because of how extremely selfish she was, and all the lies on top of other lies to cover a background she should not have hidden or been ashamed of in the first place. Other than that, the development of the characters were very significant. I liked that I saw growth in each and every character. The ones that touched me the most was the character development of the Yunzhe (older brother) and Hui Jie (head embroiderer). I also found He Juan (Yunzhe's mother) quite funny, and Le Tong (daughter) very cute. Overall, the acting was excellent.

This drama is most definitely re-watchable, but one teeny factor keeping me from giving it a rewatch value of 10/10 is because I am not sure I want to suffer through Yuxin's lies again (it triggered me so much...).

Finally, I absolutely loved how the ending came full circle and ended with a little insight on how the title: Because of Meeting You came to be. It was ultimately about two lovers tied by fate meeting again and because of each other they are able to overcome much greater obstacles (as presented by the story line).

LINGV
Jan 23, 2018
I did like this Drama and i Did like the Story Line
But You Know how Sometimes They Drag On & On The Storyline
And Its Just Plain Boring You Are just Now Try To finish The Drama

I loved how they added  The baby Turning Into her Daughter
I loved How In The end everyone Got what They Deserved

BUT TO BE HONEST I KINDA ONLY WATCH CAUSE THE MAIN COUPLE.
WHO SAW THEM IN  FIFTEEN YEARS TO WAIT FOR
MIGRATORY BIRDS .

BUT  EVEN THO THAT WAS MY REASON AT FIRST TO WATCH> I REALLY
DID ENJOY IT BUT
WARNING: YOU NEED PATIENCE TO EVEN SEE MORE MOMENTS BETWEEN  THE COUPLE
BUT  THE DRAMA DID GIVE YOU A LITTLE BIT OF ALMOST EVERYTHING
NORMALLY I WOULD WATCH SOMETHING THIS LONG AND STILL CONTINUE TO WATCH IT
SO THAT HAS TO COUNT FOR SOMETHING >
ANY WAY I HOPE MY REVIEW  HELPED :)

Zoe
Jan 26, 2018
I considered dropping this drama several times.
Chinese dramas take a while to introduce their topic and I don’t really have the patience for it.
I didn’t think I’d be interested in middle aged people’s stories. But I was. This show has a good sense of balance. When the bad guys scheme, it doesn’t drag on and on and on and their plans often go bust. There’s a good sense of satisfaction and triumph that their evil ways don’t go unpunished. They suffer immediate consequences often.

I liked the beginning and then I had to skip a bit through the intro episodes of the 12 years later because it was like starting a new show where the bad guys were still exactly the same but you had to reacquaint yourself with the good guys.

I found Yi Bei’s childhood story incredibly sad.

The cruel and manipulative lies are so frustrating. The selfishness is appalling.

There are some things towards the end that I liked.
1. seeing who decided to come clean and who didn’t.
2. linking the fact that Yun Kai was always joking and then Yi Bei decided to also joke towards her elders and the grandmother asked if she was being influenced by Yun Kai. (Because Yi Bei is always so serious)

Guo Guo
Guo Guo is stereotypically bright and sunny and nice to everyone except her hero. I like that motherhood makes Guo Guo a stronger person. She has something to protect and fight for so she won’t let anyone step on her. I love that she doesn’t let people guilt trip her as the drama goes on. There are so many manipulative people but they don’t stand a chance when Guo Guo has made up her mind. She was so impressive towards the end how quick she was at revealing the truth. She was truly formidable. When she decided to go head to head there was no stopping her. I loved her despair/angry acting. She so seldom gets worked up, but it seemed so genuinely distressing when she did start shouting at people.

Yun Kai
Yun Kai as an adult is a real character. You can tell he puts up a front a lot of the time. He loves making people feel uncomfortable. And the actor does a good job of showing how he can act charismatic and sarcastic but he has a lot of hidden depths.
For someone with such a painful childhood, he does a wonderful job of pretending to be a happy-go-lucky kind of guy with minimal brooding. It’s almost like he’s just decided to give up on the people around him and just have his fun where he can. Every second sentence out of his mouth is a joke. I like that he can rock wearing shorts in such a fashionable way.

Romance

“Why do I think you’re unhappy? Tell me! Who bullied you? I, the great lawyer, will help you punish the evildoer. Hurry, tell me who it is.”

It was interesting to see our heroine not really giving a stuff about our hero for a good long while. Her antagonism against Yun Kai gets to the point of awkward that she continues to push him away without explanation. I really enjoyed seeing Yun Kai fall in love with Guo Guo.

“Don’t worry. There is someone who dotes on you and your mother too. He will definitely court your mother and marry her.”

The show takes the time to see him looking at her with such hope and expectation. Even though he gets pissed at her he just steadfastly continues to like and hang around her.

“Let’s go. Don’t move. I will pack this. You need your hands for embroidery, so you can’t do manual labor. I’ll do it.”

He gets involved with the high drama and helps to protect the ladies in his life with all his lawyer training.

“For the two most important women in my life, I can run until my legs break.”

I like that he appreciates Guo Guo’s cooking.

It’s a bit strange that even though Yun Kai should technically feel betrayed by Guo Guo, she’s just so antagonistic towards him he never even gets a chance to breathe his grievances. Despite seemingly endless immaturity, when it comes to the big moments in his relationship with Guo Guo, he is surprisingly mature. And despite Guo Guo’s attempts at dumping him at every corner she sticks it out with him too.

Guo Guo - “I didn’t not believe in you. I just...I just don’t know how to face it.”
Yun Kai - “I need your trust because I love you to the point that no medication can save me.”

Yun Kai - “I already made myself clear to my dad. In this lifetime, I will only love you.”

Yun Kai’s delivery of romantic lines is really on point. For once, I understand the heroine’s insecurities about the hero’s love. She has so many people in her life putting her down it’s crazy.

“If you give me up because of my mother’s opposition, then won’t I be too pitiful?”

I like that he gives her a chance to see if she wants to go the long road with him, because it’s so obvious that she’s putting on the breaks. And he makes himself clear how he feels about her. It was so satisfying when Guo Guo started to finally fall in love with him too. But just when you think she’s going to be nice to him, she goes back to acting like he’s an annoying fly. This frustrated me. I lived for those moments when she smiled at Yun Kai. It was so freakin’ rare.

Twisty Things
In a way, despite the terrible plot twist of Yun Kai believing someone else is Yi Bei, it was so nice to see how his love for Yi Bei as a child was different from his love for Guo Guo and how he treasured Yi Bei. If the show didn’t do this, we wouldn’t have seen this wonderful side of Yun Kai not caring who “Yi Bei” is in the present, and loving her anyway.

Le Tong
This little girl is so magnificent. I love the way she approached and talked to the adults that they forgot they were arguing with a 5 year old when she spouted her philosophical wisdom.

Chinese Vs. Kdrama

I always have a little note about the differences between the countries’ productions since I’m mainly a serial Kdrama viewer.
Recently, I have been really enjoying Chinese dramas just for something different and for more comfortable and less over the top romances.
One thing that remains consistent is the strange character development or deux es machina that occurs with relationships. People reconcile, or resolve differences just because and there is not much story telling in that aspect.

eoniii
Apr 25, 2017
STORY
I'm not into a "family" genre but the story is just simply addicting. In the first few episodes, I admit I got totally bored since it focused greatly on the family and the challenges they encountered. But with the grownups now acting, it has gained my attention. I'm warning those who are planning on watching this tho, the antagonist is super annoying, just pure evil. The romance side will totally pull you up tho!
Furthermore, rating it 8.5 as I noticed some inconsistencies in the drama but not great of difference in the story. But what's great about this is you get to see that you reap what you sow, you'd finally enjoy the scenes with the antagonist. There's definitely something to learn on this whole drama.

ACTING/CAST
I find one of the actors (the antagonist's mom) not up to par with other actors' acting skills. Regardless, I would totally give this a ten! Notably, the kid who played Le Tong is really commendable. Her cuteness aside, she really has potential in comparison to other child actors. The rest, they played their role real good. You'll definitely feel their emotions, the love, the heartbreaks and the hatred. The leads especially, the antagonist will really make you hate her while the protagonists, they had chemistry and you'd totally follow their love story. Just great casting!

MUSIC
I liked their OST's that I even downloaded them to learn their lyrics.
Its OST is basically composed of sweet musics.

REWATCH
Maybe not. I doubt I would play it all over again, lol. With that large amount of episodes, NOPE. Besides, rewatching it would just make me see the antagonist again, tsk tsk NO.

Lili
Apr 16, 2018
This drama wasn't of a new story but it was interesting. Sometimes, it got frustrating but still I loved it. The drama was so sweet. The women in the drama besides the main lead are super scary. They have the scariest secrets and they... it just makes me feel uncomfortable. The main leads are just wonderful... I love Sun Yi and Deng Lun. They both have amazing acting skills and the height is perfect. I decided to re-watch it but only the scenes with one of the 2 in the scene. Of course, if it has both of them in it... It would be even better. You have to admit it.... Sun Yi is very pretty. Even in the beginning with that unfashionable hairstyle, she is super pretty. The second lead had a very bad character. I guess it means that she has some good acting skills since she managed to act like a horrible person for basically the whole movie. Some parts of the story aren't realistic but still... I'm a teen and I like to let my imagination run wild. ^-^

cnguyen1031
Jan 3, 2018
STORY:
It's really so hard to review this drama for me because while I really liked it for many parts, there were some major story lines that I just couldn't get over. Essentially both of the mothers were terrible people for the most part, but they try to throw in redeeming points here and there, that yes, you eventually are ok with them, but for 90% of the drama you're just like "WTF?"

I get that the whole idea was that Zhang Guo Guo/Jin Yi Bei's mom was supposed to be this power hungry person who just wanted to be the best, but throughout the drama, the way that the mom treated her and whatnot, since she didn't know who Guo Guo really was, was just ridiculous. Yes, the mom eventually redeems herself in the end, but you really spend the whole drama being confused because she's being such a terrible person that you dislike, but at the same time, it's her biological mother who you obviously want to reunite with her daughter.

Secondly,  the way that Guo Guo's adopted mother treats her and Zhang Yu Xin is just ridiculous. Yes, biology matters, but I can't believe that ALL OF THE TERRIBLE THINGS (not just bad or mean, TERRIBLE) that Yu Xin does, her mom is always making up excuses and trying to cover up for her and whatnot. I'd do anything for my future children as well, but this was just unbelievable at times. Yes, Yu Xin probably had a hard time growing up in the first few years of her life, but that's seriously not an excuse for how lenient her mom was with her and how ridiculous she was to Guo Guo who was very filial to this adopted mom.

It's really hard to get past those two things because they weave into everything that happens the entire show and it really makes you question how ridiculous things are gonna get, but at the same time, the relationship between Guo Guo and Yun Kai is just so freaking cute that you keep watching.

ACTING:
Sun Yi - First time seeing her in a drama and thought she did a really good job. Her character was cute and adorable when needed and was hardworking and strong at other points. Thought that her acting seemed realistic and not overly ridiculous (at least in relation to how ridiculous the story was  at times).
Deng Lun - Really the reason I even watched the drama. I think it goes to show what a great job he does as an actor that just watching him in a handful of episodes of Princess Agents made me want to watch this drama for him. He did a great job showing off the sides of Yun Kai and delving into the storylines that he had.

This is another one of the dramas where I can't give an honest review of how the other actors did because I just though the story lines and whatnot were just ridiculous at times, so I can't decide if the acting was bad or I just disliked the writing so much at times that I hated the characters.

REWATCH VALUE:
Throw it up there with the other dramas that are great as a cute buffer in-between lengthy or serious dramas. I haven't rewatched it yet (I just watched it through the first time a few months ago), so it's not up on my list of dramas to rewatch soon, but I could definitely see myself jumping in again, if anything to watch the interactions between the main leads.

Mitta
Apr 17, 2017
Don’t let the 56 episode tag scare you away. Yes— it is long and Yes— some parts could’ve been shortened and Yes— it is a melodrama with makjang tendencies. But— it’s so worth it!

First and foremost, this production is well-made, well-cast and well-acted. The leads are capable and play their roles with class and conviction. The villains, oh my, they made me grit my teeth and ball my fists throughout three-quarters of the show but it’s all thanks to the brilliance of Wu You as the contemptible Wu Xin and her dorky, shameless mother, Wang Ai Yu. The duo gets away with witchery, spinning lies over the course of 17 years.

Amidst this human sorcery, life goes on blissfully for Zhang Guo Guo, growing up not knowing her fate as the heiress to an esteemed embroidery powerhouse. But truth and destiny will prevail as the power of the plot and amazing acting tie every event together in a journey worth our patience.

Very much a melodrama, with all the angst and tears you’d expect from this genre, Guo Guo and Yun Kai’s sweet and uncomplicated love for each other is secondary only to the main storyline— Guo Guo returning to her roots. Also entwined in all the sub-plots is the enduring message of maternal and paternal love - biological or adoptive, it can be likewise powerful or destructive.

Stellar, stellar cast including little Le Tong. What an ensemble of perfection. Well worth the angst!

PamW
Apr 14, 2017
Storyline was average in that typical evil mom and sister, but absolutely beautiful cinematography. The setting was perfect, the colors amazing. Actors did a great job.
747 14
Jun 25, 2018
This drama is the kind of drama that makes you frustrated at the injustice the heroine, Guo Guo, has to face, and angry at the villain in this drama (Zhang Yu Xin). All the mothers in the drama also makes you feel suffocated on behalf of the heroine. I recommend this drama if you have not watched it.

The acting in this drama is superb! I usually do not have high expectations from C-dramas in terms of acting, except when famous veteran actors and actresses are a part of the cast, but the cast in the drama did an amazing job! My favourite characters in terms of acting are Zhang Yu Xin and Le Tong. When the villain in the drama makes the audience really hate her to the point you feel frustrated, that is when you know the actress did a perfect job portraying the character. That is the case with this drama. The child actress also did a really good job portraying Le Tong.

I love the idea of the storyline but it gets a bit draggy in between. Some parts could have been shortened, and some parts are just running in a circle. This drama could easily be shortened to about 30-40 episodes at most.

When I first watched this drama, it was my first time seeing all the cast. I was quite skeptical about watching it at first, and it did not help that the drama itself is long but now I am glad I did. I rewatched this drama like 3 times already and I will most likely watch it again if I have nothing else to watch.

pineapples
Jan 3, 2019
First off, I didn't watch the Korean version of this drama. Originally, I was intrigued by the sewing aspect and was pleased to see the story feature embroidery competitions and such.

This drama is cliched in that it deals with amnesia, adopting a child, and evil, scheming antagonists. However, if you look past all these flaws, the story is truly beautiful.

MC Jin Yi Bei loses her memory and becomes is found and adopted by another family. She loses her memory and thus is given the name Zhang Guo Guo, daughter of a wonton shop. Her new sister is the troublemaker in this entire story, stealing opportunities, concealing the truth, and being vindictive. Zhang Guo Guo meets Li Yun Kai and they fall in love...but missed opportunities.

Loose ends get tied up at the end, but the chemistry between the two MC's, Deng Lun and Sun Yi are the true selling point. They are so cute together and I love all the scenes where they are chummy with each other.

Loved the music so much, I have it downloaded.