Suspicious Partner (2017) poster

Fluffy
2017 KDramas w/Best OST

Jul 19, 2017
A dead, dead drama.
Basically the story revolves around Noh Ji Wook, a promoter, who met Eun Bong Hee and gets into that, the story is not interesting, the narrative has its ups and downs, a roller coaster, that's the word that describes "Suspicious Partner ", The ending was good, the cast is great, the soundtrack was enjoyable, but I did not enjoy the drama.
LaraChung
Jul 14, 2017
A fan of Ji Chang Wook since Healer, so I'm biased, no doubt!... ;)

I really enjoyed this drama. It has its flaws, though not many. The plot was engaging especially in the middle of the series. Most characters were cast well and some of them always put a smile on my face whenever they were being goofy or sarcastic (Mr. Bang!) There's some nice chemistry between the OTP Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyeon. There are enough cliché scenes, but that doesn't mean they were bothersome and even the noble idiocy felt justifiable!

What a pity that the series didn't have really memorable OST's... they weren't annoying or anything but they didn't stick into my head and stir up certain emotions whenever hearing the tune.

Pro's: great acting, sophisticated villain, chemistry between main OTP, kickass female lead, funny yet dark at the same time.

Con's: not that great OST's, clichés, maybe 2 or 3 episodes too long (if they had made it a 16 episodes drama instead of 20(40×30mins), it would have been perfect).

I'd say an overall score of 8.5!

AlphaGirlReviews
Sep 28, 2017
Before you get into this review, let me warn you that I am a BIG fan of actor Ji Chang Wook and this review will contain a lot of praises for my most favourite Korean actor. So, if you don’t like him (which is impossible because how can anybody, not like Ji Chang Wook?) then do not proceed further.
I was a little surprised when Ji Chang Wook stated that Suspicious Partner is his first try at rom-com because I always saw him as a romantic hero. I later realised that his previous dramas were more of action and less of romance. His role in ‘Empress Ki’ was comical but the show was more of drama and less of comedy. So, that does make Suspicious Partner his first rom-com. And I wish I could personally tell him that he did a great job at it.

Let’s weigh this rom-com cum suspense drama on our show beam balance and see what makes these two unlikely partners a hit.

Good Weights
Ji Chang Wook: There is a reason why actor Ji Chang Wook is my favourite. Apart from his ridiculously handsome face, smouldering gaze, childlike smile, and HAWT body, there is one important quality in him that makes him the perfect drama hero for me. That quality is the conviction with which he does romantic scenes. The director of the show is clearly aware of Chang Wook’s forte and has used every opportunity to showcase Chang Wook’s plus points. Some scenes show Ji Wook suffering from some internal turmoil and he is unable to say it aloud so he just gazes at Bong Hee. I would kill to have Chang Wook look at me with those eyes. And not just romance, he is damn freaking good even in emotional scenes. The scene when Officer Bang is hanging between life and death and a shattered Ji Wook pounds on the door wailing for his friend gave me goosebumps. What is it that Ji Chang Wook can’t do? Well, he does need to work on his comic timing (and his dance too. He sucks at dancing but thankfully he does not really need it as an actor in Korean entertainment industry). He is like India’s Hrithik Roshan who aces emotional and romantic scenes like no other actor but is on a weaker footing when it comes to comedy. But I could see it in this show itself that Chang Wook is working hard on improving his comic timing and I am sure he will get better.

Nam Ji Hyun: Talking about comic timing, there couldn’t have been a better actress than Nam Ji Hyun to pull off amusing scenes so effortlessly. The funny scenes on the show seemed funny because of Nam Ji Hyun. Her pleasing personality and bright warm smile make me happy, very happy. Bong Hee is supposed to be a black belt champion who fights like a professional but I felt there was a lot of scope in that department for Ji Hyun. Her few fighting scenes did not look very convincing to me.  However, her expressive face made up for all her shortcomings. Several actresses turned down the role of Eun Bong Hee before Nam Ji Hyun signed up for it. And I was thrilled to know that I would be seeing two of my favourite actors together in a drama.

Lead Couple Chemistry: I am not just a regular fan girl but a crazy obsessive possessive fangirl who can’t share her Oppa with anybody else. And I will admit here that the chemistry between Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun was so amazing that I hated to see them together. After seeing their explosive and passionate love scene I almost wanted to kill Nam Ji Hyun because I was just so envious of her. Jealousy aside, a love story can be successful only when the lead couple shares good on-screen chemistry. If you see any other show of Ji Chang Wook, you will know that he can build chemistry with even a rock. He looks at his female lead with such adoration that I am convinced of his love for them. However, if Ji Wook and Bong Hee look great together then it is not only because of Ji Chang Wook but also because Nam Ji Hyun complemented him well. Her acting skills matched with his and together they created magic on screen. Fans have been rooting for them to date in real life. I would have laughed at the fans optimism but after the Song-Song couple breaking the news of their marriage, I feel anything is possible and nobody would be happier than me to see Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun together. (I am lying. I want Ji Chang Wook to be with ME and not anybody else.)

Eun Hyuk: Me and my obsession with second leads. Argh!!! Thankfully this second lead is not in a love triangle with the main lead so you see he is different. Eun Hyuk’s character is funny, friendly and vital to the story. I like all the supporting characters on the show, but Eun Hyuk is my favourite because through most part of the show his personality seemed hard for me to define. He seemed almost mysterious to me as I tried to figure out if he was a comical character or a serious dude. Well, he is a blend of comedy and seriousness which is why I like the character a lot. He is a friend who screwed up big time with his besties and repents it. He tries his best to win Ji Wook’s trust and helps him whenever he can. He gives Bong Hee the additional boost she needs to act upon her feelings for Ji Wook. He is that one character whose presence makes me feel rest assured that no matter how bad things go for Ji Wook and Bong Hee, Eun Hyuk will help them out of it.
Though I liked Ji Wook and Bong Hee’s love story it was Eun Hyuk and Yoo Jung’s love story that I was more interested in. It is because you know that Ji Wook and Bong Hee, like any other couple, will meet and separate and then meet again to be together forever. The same applies to Eun Hyuk and Yoo Jung too but their story development was slow paced and uncertain. In spite of the evident chemistry, I still wasn’t sure if they would eventually end up together or not and this made me root for them so bad that I couldn’t wait to see them finally admit their feelings.

Bromance: This show had a lot of bromance happening between Ji Wook and his friends Eun Hyuk, Officer Bang, CEO Byun. These men play an important role in Ji Wook’s life and they all are cool. Ji Wook’s awkward, almost rebellious, relationship with his foster father CEO Byun is cute because when you feel worried for Ji Wook’s reckless decisions you know he has CEO Byun’s backing who will take good care of him. Similarly, when Ji Wook needs an extra hand at work you know his work will be done by his right-hand Officer Bang. And lastly, the frenemy turned friend (?) Eun Hyuk and Ji Wook share and easy and interesting chemistry. I loved their banter and their minor fights. I couldn’t help clapping in glee whenever they would act friendly each other.

Direction and Sound Track: After Goblin it was Suspicious Partner that I felt was beautifully directed and edited. The cinematography was excellent. I have to mention the kiss scenes here. Whenever there is was kiss scene, the audio would suddenly go off till the song would resume after a few moments of complete silence. This lack of sound baffled me at first but then I really appreciated the idea of having no sound till the two characters grow closer in the scene.

The show’s OST includes peppy songs like ‘Eye Contact’ by Kim EZ and ‘Why You’ by Seenroot that symbolize Ji Wook and Bong Hee’s initial relationship.
Meanwhile, ‘Breathing All Day’ by Bumkey and ‘How About You’ by Cheeze is for the lovely moments that Ji Wook and Bong Hee share in the show.

Ending: I have been ranting in my last few drama reviews of how I was left disappointed and cheated of a good conclusion to several dramas. Suspicious Partner surprised me not only during its run but also with its stunning conclusion. The ending was totally shocking as I really did not expect the puzzle to solve in a way that would leave me astonished with the final picture. I did not expect such an unpredictable twist. And I would applaud the writer for unravelling the mystery so skillfully and giving me the classic ending I was starved for.

Bad Weights
Story Pacing: Though I loved the show a lot, I have to admit that it does get a little boring for a few episodes in the middle. The show was funny, romantic, and suspenseful. But I did not like it when the villain disappeared for a few episodes. In the villain’s absence, the focus turns to developing the love story between Ji Wook and Bong Hee, which was cute but for me the story went off-track for those few episodes. It was necessary to show how Ji Wook and Bong Hee are connected with an incident that occurred in the past. However, even though I loved Ji Wook and Bong Hee’s love story, I really missed the villain and awaited his return eagerly.

The show beam balance is overloaded with good weights. Thus implying that it is a thoroughly entertaining drama. Suspicious Partner is my bias Ji Chang Wook’s final drama before he enlists for mandatory military service and I am so happy with his impeccable performance in the show. Yes, his comic timing can be worked upon but other than that my dear Oppa rocks all departments of dramatic acting. Actress Nam Ji Hyun stuns with her immaculate performance and fills in wherever Chang Wook falls short. Her dazzling smile always manages to melt my heart and I really love watching her dramas. Chang Wook and Ji Hyun together make this show endearing and entertaining.

Suspicious Partner is a rom-com that is beautifully blended with suspense and some drama. The show does slow down a bit but manages to catch up in the end. Watch it because it should not be missed for any reason.

Originally posted on www.alphagirl.in

Riley
Jul 16, 2017
I've never been the biggest fan of crime dramas, but I can say I really did enjoy Suspicious Partner. What drew me in and kept me in was the chemistry between the characters. Every character's relationship with the others all have interesting dynamics to them. I even found myself being excited by the plot at times, something that usually falls by the wayside when I watch crime dramas.

I was drawn in by the mystery of the plot. It was very intense at first and did leave me at the edge of my seat. As the show went on, the plot did feel a bit tired and drawn out. This drama probably could have wrapped itself up with a few less episodes, but I was always in it until the end.

Like with most of the dramas I enjoy, it's the characters that do it for me. Ji Wook and Bong Hee have a very addictive dynamic and they're very interesting characters inside and outside of their relationship. There was just the right amount of angst and fluff to keep me satisfied (though as someone who watched the show as it aired, the angst could get to be a little maddening). They're good people and they're people that you want to watch succeed and be happy.

If I were to rewatch Suspicious Partner, I'd probably skip over a few episodes towards the end, but it would be worth it to see all these greta characters again. The side characters are interesting and complex and aren't put in boxes. Characters you may not like in the beginning, you start to love in the end and I really like that in a drama. I'd recommend Suspicious Partner to anyone who'd want a drama with a lot of layers, but was also digestible and fun.

manicmuse
Jul 29, 2017
Don't let the 40 episodes fool you, this drama is perfectly binge-watchable. I had no idea what to expect when I started watching, and the synopsis didn't help at all, but the episodes are so short that before I knew it I had watched 16 of them, and could hardly wait for the next one! Maybe I am a little biased because it combines two of my favorite K-Drama Genres (Romance and Psychopaths), and stars one of my favorite actors (Ji Chang Wook *swoon*), but from the first episode I knew this one would probably end up on my favorites list. It's not easy to combine comedy with genuine suspense, and I think this drama does a really good job of that. Yes, this is a RomCom that centers around a serial killer. It's also a great ensemble comedy, with an awesome cast. Is it perfect? Not at all. Is it addictive? Absolutely.

First, allow me to express my love for Ji Chang Wook as Ji Wook. If you have ever been a fan of his at all (Healer & Empress Ki are both on my favorites list already) know that he does not disappoint, and this may even be his most charming performance yet! He is matched with Nam Ji Hyun as Bong Hee, who I have only seen in Shopping King Louis, but Bong Hee is a much more fun character, not at all passive or a damsel in distress, and really made me like her as an actress. Together these two have chemistry that is off the charts from the start. Both characters are stubborn, and headstrong, so there is plenty of banter, and there are a lot of hilariously cute moments between them from the beginning. The way he looks at her at times literally made my heart skip a beat. That smile... and the tongue thing was more than enough to make me fall for him! Even when the drama between them started to get repetitive, and moments towards the end got a little too corny, I still loved watching these two together on screen.

As for the rest of the cast, there are literally no weak links. I loved all of them. The team of lawyers were completely endearing. Choi Tae Joon is super adorbs. It was also great to see Lee Duk Hwa be so funny, and not pure evil - I LOLed every time he called Bong Hee "lack of evidence". I even loved the random kid. There are also A LOT of frenemies in this drama, almost an entire cast full, and the amount of shade they throw at each other is also hilarious. However, the true MVP of this drama is Dong Ha as Jung Hyun Soo. I honestly don't want to say anything about why he is so good, but he's definitely an actor I will watch out for from now on.

The writing in this one is a little all over the place, but I think it was strong where it really counted. I liked that even though this is a drama about Lawyers and Prosecutors, all of the court cases were somehow related to the main story, and not just emotional filler. There were definitely some major KDrama tropes in full effect, and a million unbelievable coincidences between the main couple, but I think they were executed well, so I won't complain about that. What I think makes this drama lose some of the excitement it had in the beginning is the repetitiveness, especially between the main couple. Bong Hee get particularly annoying at a certain point, but I do think it makes sense for her character, so I won't complain too much about that either. The only unforgivable annoyance I can think of is the amount of blatant product placement. Some scenes are literal Papa Johns commercials, so don't watch while you're hungry.

By the end of the drama, once all the major mysteries are pretty much solved, and major conflicts are peacefully resolved, the drama becomes much more corny, but since I already loved the characters it wasn't that bad for me still. It probably helped that the episodes are broken up to be shorter so they dragged less. I also really liked the soundtrack, which definitely doesn't hurt, even with the terrible english lyrics.

So, would I watch "Suspicious Partner" again? Definitely. Actually, I already am! We won't get another drama out of Ji Chang Wook for a while, since he's enlisting, and I went through too much withdrawal once it was over. It's already been fun rewatching certain moments now that I know the full story.

Overall I would recommend this drama for sure, but I realize not everyone shares my strange biases. Still the good parts definitely outweigh any of this dramas flaws. If you love great villains, I would recommend this for that reason alone, but don't be scared off by the thriller aspect, because it surprisingly still is a relatively light drama. If you like cute bickering couples, and comedic banter in general, then there is plenty of that. If you love Chang Wook, of course this is a must see. If you love good ensemble cast chemistry, this cast delivers. If you don't mind cute romantic scenes interrupted by chilling suspense scenes, then I would say definitely add this to your list. I know this is definitely getting added to my favorites list!

Ancutel
Feb 2, 2018
Ok, so this drama wasn't neither very good or bad but it could have been a wonderful drama. I  want that somebody can tell me how did they manage with such amazing cast and a good plot to make a such sometimes boring drama. This drama has all, romance, comedy, action, but I feel that something is missing and I can't tell exactly what it is. Maybe because they are mixing together one after another in some strange combination, very sad scenes, action and fight scenes, thriller scenes, with sweet and funny romantic scenes. After few episodes I wanted to drop it but I continued to watch it due to the three male leads that made this drama one that worth watching. Ji Chang Wook, Choi Tae-Jun and certainly Dong Ha who made one of the greatest villain characters. The romantic scenes are sweet and warm and  the meetings at the office were completely charming. After all, I'm glad that I didn't drop it. I enjoyed it but I'm not missing it.

Kathleen
Sep 27, 2017
Let me start off by saying that of you want lots of feels, this is the show you could watch just for the fluff and cheesy scenes again and again. As I write this review I remember how fun it was to watch it every time a new episode airs. I could feel curiosity and anticipation while waiting for new episodes.There are some scenes that are kind of a filler only. Overall everything else is great. The actors, the cinematography, the soundtrack; it will give you tingly feelings. Can I also say that Ji Wook is one of my top 5 male kdrama characters? He doesn't force anyone to do something if he/she isn't comfortable with it. (That's probably the best I can give without spoiling too much)

Anita
Jul 14, 2017
Amazing drama, amazing cast don't miss out on this wonderful drama forget about the bad reviews and just watch it
Linky
Jul 14, 2017
Though I can kind of understand the mixed reviews, I thought this was fun and romantic and think it's defintiely worth checking out. It starts off really strong with loads of romance and cuteness which fizzles somewhat with darker plot complications as the story progressed, but ultimately goes back to being cute. I feel like I've watched a few dramas recently that pair the cute romantic comedy and dark crime genres together. It seems like an difficult pairing to pull off, but this drama manages to do it adequately. So depending on how charismatic you find the main couple or how much you enjoy the crime story / villain you may really enjoy this.

PROS: Ji Chang Wook is my favorite actor since I watched him in Healer so I admit that makes me rate this drama higher than I might if he wasn't in it - maybe half a point higher. I was really happy to just watch him in something where he just plays a normal guy. For me this was enough to keep me entertained. I also liked Bong Hee and thought they had good chemistry together.

The supporting characters were cute and likable. I enjoyed the funny bickering of attorneys at the office. Their office meetings were always funny. I also thought the bickering moms storyline was funny. The mean female attorney character grew on me and became one of the more amusing side characters.

CONS: It doesn't finish as strongly as it started and to me a it drags a little in the middle when the crime storyline takes more prominence. The actor who plays the villain gets a lot of screen time and does a good job. But I just wasn't as invested in this part of the story. The plot was entertaining enough to keep my attention though. Certain plot points could have been amped up for more impact. And certain plot points are introduced that added complications but could have been done without. The second leads could have been given a little more to do. And the old friendship between 2 male leads could have been played up a little more. I would have liked to see more of them together.

That sounds like a lot of cons, but it is mostly picking at the plot. Overall, I thought this was a really fun and cute drama to watch and looked forward to each episode.

Miranda
Jul 17, 2017
This is a perfect drama for romantic people like me. It has a lot of romance, it has comedy, crime and suspense. It's all of the best in one drama. You won't ever get bored. The main two have amazing chemistry. The main femaleis amazing women with power and self confidence.
Charity Mariposa
Jun 18, 2017
His royal hotness, Ji Chang Wook, comes off strong and effective Atty. No Ji Wook, as expected of his range as an actor. He has the ever familiar gestures and stares that he has used to charm his love interests, but it works. Maybe I have been charmed by his bright smile and finely chiseled face, but he is one of the most formidable actors in K-dramaland no doubt.

Support characters, Atty. Byun and Atty. Ji Eun-Hyuk, are also effective and lovable. Nara's Cha Yoo Jung leaves a remarkable performance, as well.

The female lead is a big disappointment, lacking maturity as an actress, and lacks more depth as a character; she is supposed to be a black belt in Judo(?) and quite a strong/tough woman and yet she comes off weak and easily shaken.

It is almost painful to watch her acting opposite Ji Chang Wook. Nam Ji-Hyun's take on the character Eun-Bonghee is quite poor. She uses the same character reference for the provincial girl she portrayed in Shopping King Louie; which worked then for that show. Sadly, the same portrayal for a different and more empowered character in Suspicious Partner is flat out failure. She acts all cute with a cutesy voice that is not typical of a supposed confident lawyer / (acquitted) murder-suspect / mature lady, which is disturbing. Could she possibly be a miscast?

Can the writer do something to make character Atty. Eun Bonghee, smarter and more confident please? She is clearly surrounded by danger and yet she goes out alone at night, etc? Gosh, please help this character, writer-nim!

Mariachiara
Jul 24, 2017
I was mildly excited about this drama when I first heard about it, and it was thanks to Nam Ji Hyun if I was at all. After seeing her in Shopping King Louie I was really happy she had another main role.
After watching the first couple of episodes I knew I would love it until the end.
First of all the actors were amazing: I loved our main characters (Bong Hee and Ji Wook) because they were really wonderful and sweet and caring and overall such good people but I also got really attached to the supporting roles and I find them so so important and it would have definitely not been the same without them. Dong Ha (who plays the villain) is extraordinary and he really impressed me in all his scenes.
The plot was great. It had so so much and everything was linked. I know it kinda dragged in the middle and it was painful to watch (in a good way) but I never ever wanted to stop watching. It has never happened to me that I would look so much foward for just a trailer or a few stills, but there I was the whole time suffering.
The ost was really good, I still listen to the songs after a couple of weeks from the end and they all bring back such good memories.
I have re-watched all of the episodes multiple times already and I can't just part myself from it. I can't believe there won't be more episodes coming out.
If you haven't watched this drama yet, watch AT LEAST the first 4-6 episodes (they last like 35 minutes each) because the plot really kicks in and it gets so awesome.