Suspicious Partner (2017) poster

2017 KDramas w/Best OST

RandomShell
Mar 8, 2018
8/10

...cause if all the ends are tied at episode 38, don't make 40 episodes.

If you're considering watching this, this is what you should expect:

Great acting. All the actors did a great job portraying their characters. If you're a fan of JCW you will not be disappointed. Also a very special hats off to Dong Ha who plays the criminal in this drama. He was outstanding. I'll be following his work a lot more after this.

The sub story was amazing.
It really took me by surprise. I've never seen such a well thought out and executed villains plot and it was very deep and moving. They had all the right twists in the right places and I love that they put out subtle hints throughout the drama, warning you about the final twist, so subtle that I did not figure it out.

There's an on and off relationship.
The reason I'm calling it a sub story is because it gets over shadowed by the romance.
Indeed this is a romance thriller but I would have wished for more emphasis on the "thriller" part since that part of the story was so great. Although I love a bit of romance, I can only take in the right amount and when it's an "on and off" relationship like in this drama, I want to shoot the female character. Therefore I will not be taking my hat off for the lead actress. Because of her character and because I didn't really enjoy her acting.

There is also a few faint love triangles moving around but it was bearable. they lasted very shortly and all the female and male characters were all very cool about.

38/40 episodes.

They could have easily wrapped up the whole thing at 38 but they added 2 extra filler episodes. As if you didn't get enough romance through out the entire drama, the last 2 episodes will put you in their everyday, boring life, which, if you're anything like me, will make you hate the lead actress more than you did before. But you can end the agony anywhere you want. 38, 39, or 40. Depends on how much you care about their romance.

Overall this drama was very enjoyable, the acting was great, the characters were a piece of work but that really made them feel realistic. Hope this review was of any help to those who are still considering, instead of pressing play.

ENJOY!!!

meghxn
Aug 23, 2017
I think that this drama did it pretty well for me! A lot of people have said that this drama started off strong for them but ended not so well. I kind of disagree with that because I throughly enjoyed it.
Story: 9.0/10
Now you might say that the whole murderer aspect, "who is the murderer" is the same old, same old. That's true but it was actually one of the reasons why I enjoyed it. Though the only thing that left me kind of questioning was, why did he do that? I still had many questions at the end. The romance in this one was good but not the best. It just didn't stand out that much to me but I still found some scenes cute between the main characters. I actually was more attracted to the second lead romance.Also another thing that I really liked watching was the office meetings. They were too funny.
Acting/Cast:10/10
Acting in this one was amazing. I've watched Ji Chang Wook in many other drama's but, I think I fell for him in this one. I couldn't stop staring at him. Nam Ji hyun was good too and her crying scenes felt so real.I'm so glad Choi Tae Joon plays a really gullible character in this because his character in missing 9 was not so pretty, and now I love him to bits. This is my first time seeing Nara and I must say, even though of what happened in the past with her character, she is my favourite in this. And finally the person that plays the villain... I won't say his name in case it's a spoiler but... I love him and hate him at the same time. He plays the villain so perfectly that I hate him but because he played it so perfectly, I loved it? Does that make sense? Idk XD
Music: 7.0/10
The reason why I put it at such an average score was because I haven't listened to the whole soundtrack yet so I'm saying it's not bad. Eye contact by Kim Ez acoustic version is so far my favourite song on the soundtrack. The sound effects during the episodes were also nice to but too bad their not actual songs.
Rewatch value: 5.0/10
I won't be rewatching this because I don't see the reason why and I always say this but I rarely rewatch drama's.
Overall: 8.5/10
I recommend this to you if you're looking for a sweet romantic comedy with a bit of a twist. By the way, the outfits in this drama were so eye-catching to me even though they were simple.

TaraLynch
Jul 14, 2017
Ji Chang Wook, who continues to practically ooze charisma from his damn pores, plays straight laced and uptight Prosecuter Noh Ji Wook opposite Nam Ji Hyun's chipper and plucky Lawyer Eun Bong Hee. Bong Hee works for Ji Wook, but when she's framed for murder, he ends up being the one prosecuting her (apparently conflict of interest is not a thing, at least in kdramaland court rooms). This all happens in the first handful of episodes, but the real story follows after the resolution of her prosecution for murder. The drama really follows them, Ji Wook's mostly estranged best friend (played charmingly by Choi Tae Joon, who manages to hold his own against Chang Wook's own effortless charm - not an easy thing to do), his ex-girlfriend/fiance (played by Nara), and his extended family/friends. Throw into the mix a serial murderer. The resulting recipe is a lot of fun to watch. The notes in this show are mostly up beat. They do trot out some dramatic family secrets, but even the sad and down moments are balanced out by bright and cheerful ones so you never come away from this feeling like you've had to slog through anything.

I'm pretty sure Ji Chang Wook's inherent charm is what keeps the Earth rotating on its axis.

sstt
Jul 19, 2017
not without flaws but quite ignorable. awesome actors and great chemistry among all of them
Dropped 40/40
OhSoEnthusiastic
Aug 14, 2017
Dropped 3
What a wasted opportunity for bromance and female friendship and a crazy, amnesiatic murderer.

Everything the writers promised, they ended up letting us down on. The romance was infuriating/incredibly boring. Instead of exploring the idea of friendship and betrayal and forgiveness, we just walked in a circle for 20 episodes. (I REFUSE TO SAY IT WAS 40 BECAUSE THIS NEW NUMBERING SYSTEM IS STUPID!!!!) And the one and only time I've actually been Excited to see amnesia in a drama (wait. it's not one of our leads who gets amnesia? it's...the murderer?! what a fascinating idea. yes please!)...it turned out to be basically a non plot-point. Why'd they even try to market the story around it if it was going to be that insignificant???

I hate this drama. I hate it with every fiber of my being. My actual rating is negative 100.

c2roxy
Feb 28, 2019
Suspicious Partner is a Korean suspense, law, mystery, romance and comedy drama. The story is about Ji Wook an intelligent stubborn prosecutor turned lawyer and Bong Hee a naive lawyer who team up to work on a mysterious murder case involving a sly serial killer. The story explored corruption in the justice system. The cast played their characters very well, and there was good chemistry between the male and female leads. The music was pretty good and fit the drama well. If you like law dramas with a bit of romance and comedy then I would recommend this drama to you.

Jade Maya
Nov 7, 2019
The drama really did started off great, the casting was all good, romance, comedy and suspense made me hooked up with this one. But, what is the downfall is, the middle one, which I feel have some cliche, and nothing new. But, it's to worth to watch to have some fun time.

Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun had a great chemistry in the drama, whether it's bickering or silent love or romance, they totally made it! Apart from that the villain in this drama, really did a great job.

I love dramas that not only focuses on lead roles but also supporting roles. This one justified it.

Even though it's 40 episodes it's worth watching.

Yukta Kunhara
Oct 14, 2019
It is absolutely binge worthy drama...I was instantly hooked after the first episode and through the rest of the series.It has a right amount of romance, comedy, suspense, thriller... Just an all in one package definitely. ????
The storyline keep you in your seat and anxious to see what happens next. I've never imagined it would end like this. That's kinda unpredictable.
Ji Chang Wook's character is great & he is So cute ???? . Nam Ji Hyun's character is strong.. the changes in their characters is too good. And they both got a really great chemistry.Choi tae joon, nara & other supporting characters is impressive. And most important... the villain because he really played a great role in this Series, his acting skills is Amazing. ????????
As a viewer I really really enjoyed watching it. I definitely recommend it. It'll keep u at the hook through all the episodes & you'll never get bored.???? ????

dreamlovewrite
Jan 21, 2018
Suspicious Partner started out so strong that I was willing to overlook it being yet another legal k-drama, but sadly lost steam mid way when the main couple scenes picked up. I'm not sure if it's because of these 30 minute episodes meaning they can stuff more in and cut to different scenes in the second 30mins, but I find it that these types of shows tend to wander too far away to fit in scenes that in my opinion aren't very necessary to the flow of the story.

The actual story line is engaging, we have a tight knit of a main cast working in a law firm together after some major set backs in the career paths/lives of the two mains and an ongoing serial murder case. The law firm scenes provided amazing banter and life to this story, so watching for their office dynamics alone is most deserving to mention. It's one of the consistent parts to this drama that I like. Even when things change within the law firm in the end, it's amusing to see the same characters in the meeting room, and that no meeting is held successfully! The family aspect of the office is my favourite part. You have so many amazing characters in the firm that balance each other out. I love the genuine friendships that are formed, and the revival of lost ones as well as the story progresses.

You also have a main villain  who was played expertly and was one of the main reasons I continued this drama. I'm not huge on this legal genre of late, but for me, Jung Hyun Soo was a worthy character that impacts you emotionally. Admittedly, when his scenes die down in the middle of the drama, so does the atmosphere for me. It's almost like whilst he is unable to be used in the storyline, the mains travel down this lacklustre path until he returns. Which, by then seems to be where the drama has lost all of it's steam. It seems to throw out the obvious routes for how it will go from here. All the same, up until the very end, Hyun Soo remains the most interesting character within this drama. I love how well Dong Ha has acted this broken person throughout and will be looking out for his acting pursuits in the future.

Sadly the romance, which started out strongly, with all the right tensions, turns into a hot mess during the second half. I get the reasoning behind the connection of their pasts placing pressure on the relationship, but Eun Bong Hee had been such a breath of fresh air as a character throughout, with her honest way of expressing herself, even when it landed her in hot water. I loved how true she was to herself. Sadly, when the secrets started to build, it was as if her character started to sink. Whilst there were still things in the second half of the drama that made me enjoy her, she lost some of her shine and became like many other female characters that are pining and still attempting to have their independence in a relationship that's been put on hold.  I found No Ji Wook to be slightly better in the second half, though most of that probably stemmed from outside of their relationship, and how he wanted to protect all of his office family, and not just Bong Hee. Hyun Soo was really good at bringing out the best in Ji Wook. I must admit the one thing I did like about their romance is that they were grown ups in some respects, and made no hesitations to bring in more intimacy at the right times... nothing worse than watching an adult relationship develop mentally, and emotionally, without physical signs. It was naturally done, and I appreciated that.

Side characters at the prosecution center weren't always needed but I did like the connection within cases it offered. I also liked the friendship of the three girls at the end. It was nice to see even with all the bickering and hostility in the beginning/middle, they could all depend on each other to relax and hang out in the end. Some of the best kinds of dependable friends are the people who have truly seen you at your worst and still haven't truly shoved you away.

The music in this drama was alright, I found a couple of songs to be a bit boring, but otherwise complimented  the show. The lighting was a bit off, especially in the romantic scenes, it was generally always aimed at showing the silhouettes, and it was in poor taste at some points in my opinion.

The ending was complete fluff, and whilst I appreciated it's consistency, I was already losing interest in the main couple's relationship by this stage that I found it to be a bit mundane.
8/10.

Yamini Kunhara
Oct 14, 2019
First of all this is a worth watching kdrama.The balance of Tragedy- romance comedy is Amazing!!! ,I never felt that why am i watching this, whether it is humour, suspense or romance this drama is complete package of entertainment. If I talk about Actors- characters ,all supporting actors done their role perfectly , I main, Ji Chang Wook( No Ji Wook) is Superb as Prosecutor, he acts so well that at last when he became prosecutor again, then I'll say his acting was So Natural & Strong which will make you his fan. Nam Ji Hyun(Eun Bong Hee) is a strong & smart female character, and she makes us laugh more than anyone by her dialogues. The Most powerful...I can say , villain of this drama is Dangerous, I felt Anger towards him most of the time, how perfectly he played his role , hat's off !!! In middle his doing ( murders) seems Reasonable but in the end when complete truth revealed , it makes sure that he is a culprit too. At last Simply Amazing drama it was.

Jaylan
Jan 22, 2018
although it's predictable but it's so amusing , funny  ,delightful with lots of romance & friend ship
the beautiful thing  in this drama that the law cases in the back seats
or it is  related to the main roles so it  doesn't drag u away  from the main stories
for me this drama is the  type i do really love with fast event's & happy ending

SPOILER

what bothered me much that the story of the second leads didn't take it's place well
& i don't know how the misunderstanding come from  if they didn't  cheated him actually
they didn't explain  that part  they left it to our imagination & why  didn't  Choi Tae Joon Confess to   Ji Chang Wook  with the truth of what had happened really
 why he bears that his friend accused him with betrayal  ??
till the end i was waiting to tell us the truth about what had happened between choi tae & ji chang ex-gf

that's only the reason that made me give it 9.5 instead of full 10

moonchild
Nov 11, 2019
I went for this drama when I wanted to watch something more lighthearted and seeing some funny videos on Youtube about this drama I was convinced I was gonna enjoy it. I was completely right and ended up loving it.

The story is interesting, but I agree with others that it got a tiny bit draggy sometimes. Yet, there is still enough to keep you watching so I wouldn't say it's negative. There are a lot of comedy scenes in this which loosen up the otherwise more serious story about the murderer. I loved how the story makes Ji Eun Hyuk not a second male lead that also falls for the female lead, but a supportive friend who's secretly cheering for the couple and encouraging them.

What I loved the most was the cast and wonderful chemistry. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun make such a cute couple on screen. The other actors such as Choi Tae Joon, Nara, Dong Ha, Kim Ye Won, Yoon Bok In, Nam Ki Ae and Lee Deok Hwa (to name a few) were a pleasure to watch as well and totally fitted in making the whole drama complete. I must admit that the murderer gave me chills. Very good! They all portrayed their character so well. I knew Jang Hyuk Jin from Mad Dog already and enjoyed his wonderful acting here again. He became a favorite of mine. :) Just because of the cast this drama is worth a try.

The music picked my interest and I like it. It's fitting the drama very well and contains nice ballads such as "The Same Day" by Ra. D, "The Memory Of That Day" by NELL or "How About You" by CHEEZE aside lighthearted tunes like "Why You" by SEENROOT.

I'll definitely rewatch this when I want something more lighthearted. The scenes with Ji Chang Wook with others from the cast like Nam Ji Hyun or Choi Tae Joon alone are worth rewatching. XD
The 30 minutes long episodes are easy to watch in between.

Overall I highly recommend this drama to anyone who enjoys law themed dramas with a good portion of romance and comedy. I liked how well they balanced the different genres. It's funny without giving you the feeling of forced slap stick humor, is exciting without being too dark and has just the right amount of law to not make it boring. It's one of my favorite dramas now.