Suspicious Partner

• Members: 14,209
kingsqueen
Jul 14, 2017
I think this drama started off strong, but lost steam as it went along. The ending episode was meandering and pointless, honestly. It had a happy ending, but was lackluster and bland. I think that if they had cut this show to 16/32 episodes instead of 20/40, they could have written a tighter story. There were some things that got lost in the story, some things that were never explained, and some things that dragged on way too long. The romance sizzled in the beginning and then flickered and died, and then when it rekindled, it was barely an ember. One thing that some people liked, but kind of annoyed me was the lighting in the show. Every time the main characters were about to have a real kiss - there was always this bright light shining between them. I guess it was supposed to be artistic? Once would have been plenty for that and it might have been ok, but it happened at least 3 or 4 times.

Most of the actors did a good job. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun are both fantastic actors and I love to watch the play of emotions on JCW's face. NJH is so earnest and sincere in her acting. Choi Tae Joon as Eun Hyuk was such a cutie pie and his awkwardness and his boyish charm and enthusiasm were fun to watch (this was my first show with him.) I wasn't really impressed with Nara or her character. She was bland and we didn't learn much about her. I thought Kim Ye Won was a scene stealer though! KYW as Ji Hye started off as an unlikable bully and a cheater, but she quickly became one of my favorite supporting actors in this show, and I kind of wished she had been the second female lead instead. I loved her snarky comebacks to Yoo Jung - she made me laugh a lot. And Dong Ha, as the villain Hyun Soo, did an amazing job. It's the first time I've seen him in anything that I recall, but he nailed his role.

The music was decent, nothing stand out, but appropriate.

I won't re-watch this. It was ok, but not one of the best I've seen. I think the longer run time severely hurt the pacing.

marylin511
Jul 14, 2017
The potential was great! The beginning was great! The cast was superb! Did it keep being this way during the whole drama? Unfortunately, not. When I get to the point when I stop care, I usually drop the drama, and I think, I have more dropped dramas in my list then completed ones :) So why didn't I drop this one?

Reason 1. Jong Hyun Soo/ Dong Ha . The villian in this drama did outstanding job, this is the first time I followed specific character, witch is not the lead with such intencity!He actually was the one who kept my interest to this drama, and the only one who I really wanted to know more about! I just have no words. If he doesn't get an award, it will be final disapointment in SBS after they missed Lee Joon Gi last year!

Reason 2 The office team scenes. I truly enjoyed every single moment of them, they were hilarious and pleasure to watch! Great interaction and chemistry between all cast!

Reason 3 Ji Chang Wook and Choi Tae Joon - and I don't mean just looks, but acting :)

The rest.. I'll just say, starting from the middle of drama there were more and more moments, were I felt bored, except scenes with Jong Hyun Soo... And the worst for me was the last episode.. After great ep 37 and 38, two last ones were just.. well, I would't miss anything if I wouldn't watch them.. And it's a pity, because last episode is the one that leaves final impact from drama, and unfortunatly I felt nothing... But overall there were a lot of moments that I enjoyed, laughed and cared. And all the actors dida great job! It wasn't a bad drama, but it didn't left strong feelings in me...

Elle
Jul 22, 2017
As the new Ji Chang Wook Drama, Suspicious Partner had big shoes to fill. Ever since Healer, fans seem to be waiting for another epic drama that will sweep them off their feet. Suspicious Partner from the get go had all the makings of a great drama: a great cast, a respected producer and an interesting premise.

This drama has such a good start. The chemistry between the leads was perfection. Watching Noh Ji Wook get drawn into always aiding the helpless Eun Bong Hee was so endearing. As this couple is forced to live and work together, their relationship drives the drama forward.

So it shouldn't be surprising that when the relationship between Ji Wook and Bong Hee hit the breaks so does the momentum of the show. During the last third of the show, the noble idiocy runs rampant. As always this is supposed to show depth and character development, but it just kinda falls flat. I just wanted to see my OTP back together again.

The suspense portion of the story could have offered more. Throughout the drama, there is a main murder mystery that weaves its way in and out of the story. Dong Ha does a very good job as the main antagonist. His interaction with Ji Chang Wook is very compelling. It seemed like whenever the tensions were high between these two, viewer ratings saw a spike. This arc is supplemented by short one to two episode vignettes that do little for the overall story. Personally, I think these one off cases, distract from the main story and delude the tightness of the plot. The time taken to spend of these little cases took time away from answering questions about the main story.

This drama's best selling point is its cast. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun do amazing jobs portraying the main leads. In addition, the dynamic of the supporting characters was so entertaining and funny. Noh Ji Wook's firm consisting of Bong Hee, Eun Hyuk, Chief Bang and CEO Byun kept me in stitches. Their regular office banter was a highlight of the show.

Overall, I really enjoyed this drama. I do feel that there is a lot of untapped potential, but the characters are too endearing to pass up. This show is a pretty light and breezy watch. I did enjoy the 30 minute episode framework. It made this show very watchable. If you do hit a bit of snag in the last third, I recommend you stick with it, since the ending is very cute.

Jeana
My love for Ji Chang Wook is no secret. Whenever he comes on-screen I have an almost physical reaction to him.

Really, you should watch me watch him.

I have a huge school-girl crush-y grin on my face, my heart starts palpitating and all the Aaahs and Ooohs on the spectrum emit from my mouth.

However, my personal bias aside, there is no denying that he is an excellent actor. No matter what role he's given, he puts in his 11O% and owns it. Unsurprisingly, he does the same in Suspicious Partner. I spent all my time swooning at his adorable actions, fawning at his beautiful face and admiring the way he is able to smoothly deliver so many expressions all at once.

My obsession with him is exactly the reason why I hate giving any drama JCW stars in, a rating less than 8. It makes me feel all sorts of 'disloyal', but unfortunately sometimes you just gotta tell it how it is.

And the 'it' here is the fact that aside from Ji Chang Wook, this show has little to nothing going on for it.

Suspicious Partner starts as a strong, romantic suspense drama but somewhere in between it loses its identity. So much so, that when we're done with it, it fails to properly execute either of the genres.

I want to give credit to the female lead, for she does try and do her best to be quirky but unfortunately, I don't feel much for her. She feels like a support role, at best. There's also the fact that I had to put a lot of effort in getting over her role as the annoying kid Queen Seon Duk, which was a feat in it self 'cause ten years later, her mannerisms are exactly the same as before.

While there is a good dynamic between Ji Wook's Law Team and some hilarious moments between them, nothing really stands out. The sisterhood and bromance has so much potential to be a golden point of the show but unfortunately, it is left untapped.

There is some majorly good acting put out by the antagonist but the show does not develop his character as much as it deserves to be.

The whole crime mystery is dead and very predictable. The second lead romance falls flat and more often than not, the drama stumbles into the realm of utter boredom.

There are some good OST songs here and there but again, there's nothing I would lose sleep over. A lot of questions are given unsatisfactory answers, plot-holes are abundant and so are convenient plot-devices.

The story-line is mediocre, if we're being kind. They use so many ideas from Ji Chang Wook's other shows. Some scenes are copy pasted from The K2, a whole plot-line regarding the heroine's father is taken from Healer and it is all just more of the same ol' same ol' bs.

If it wasn't for JCW, I'm sure I'd rate it even less. And even though I am an eternal fangirl; I love him to the moon and back and I think he is as perfect as always in this show, I will still say that I didn't see him go the extra mile here. This role couldn't have been a challenge for him and because I know that he's an incredibly versatile actor; I'm so ready for him to bring us something phenomenal and better than this.

So over-all I guess it's a good time-pass.
Not too bad, not too good but extremely forgettable.

Kdrama_BeMy_BestChingu
Jul 15, 2017
The drama started off well it gets little draggy in middle but come on which drama doesn't it has a normal plot but the twists and turns are really amazing. The ending is just perfect

Really a lovable drama with lovable cast. The journey comes to an end. Woah! What an incredible journey. If you are up for story then it may keep you glued to the screen or may not. Cause this drama has mixed viewers. The ending was amazing with every character giving you space for open analysis. These are like real life characters. Nobody is perfect, nobody is strong all the time, sometimes love loses in front of circumstances but in the end find their way. The amazing chemistry between NJH and JCW is really a huge factor why this drama has been loved they did more than justice. No other couple can really make me fall for them like jibong.

So if you are here for the reviews ignore the hate comment and go and see it for yourself.

This drama gifted me my new favorite korean actress. Nam ji hyun. What an incredible showcase of emotions she can convey. The ending-she caught me off guard. I cried only when she cried. She deserves super appreciation!

And of course ji chang wook you will always be my bae I love you more after this drama

I may be wrong but I have noticed one thing Koreans have loved this drama when I see the comments on korean and other digital platforms koreans have always been supportive most of the negative comments about the drama have been made by immmature fangirls and jcws previous costar fans or shippers
This drama is definitely a must watch

SUSPICIOUS PARTNER SARANGHAEYO
JIBONG

hardpliers
Jul 13, 2017
I'm a huge fan of romantic and suspense thriller type of movies and dramas that involve court cases and the law. When I saw the trailer of this I was utterly hyped up and knew that I was going to love it. And I was a 100% correct.

The story had me drawn in since the very first episode. I had a heart attack from the main characters' chemistry. I mean, Ji Chang Wook is a gorgeous and handsome actor, no doubt. Even though I wasn't familiar with any dramas starring Nam Ji Hyun, she made a very positive first impression, which was more than enough for me to become interested in her, and eventually becoming her fan. The other actors were spectacular as well, especially the lawyer squad and the main suspect, Jung Hyun Soo. I was really surprised at how much I pitied a very dark criminal. The storyline wasn't boring at all and I liked how it progressed right until the end. I was in two minds whether to give this drama a lower review, however, I loved how the creators of this drama didn't run out of ideas and finished this series with a boom.
Another thing I want to point out is the OST. It translated all of the emotions and the songs were very fitting with the situations and the characters. I would highly suggest you not only to watch this drama, but to check out the OST as well!

Overall, a lovely drama that surely became one of my favorites on the list! Very interesting, tragic and romantic storyline with leave you with many different (and of course unforgettable) emotions!

qtandem
Jul 21, 2017
So... I'm afraid I'm not as enthusiastic about this drama as many people are. I started watching because I love Ji Chang Wook, I'm not going to lie. However it didn't do much for me. I didn't see as much chemistry between the main OTP as most viewers, and ocasionally, the cheesy factor drove me back.
Also, that element in the past of both main characters that brings them together, I had the feeling I've seen this many other times in other dramas.
It's not that I think it wasn't well made or that it was bad, but it wasn't that extraordinary to me, at least compared to other dramas that have been airing this season.

Things I liked, though? Dong Ha. He was great as the psycho. I usually don't like that cliché-ish super-evil portrayal of most villains in dramas. I know it's the melo factor, but I hate it. However, he did a great job and I hope it didn't go unnoticed and he can be featured in more dramas in the future.

Also, I liked the second OTP and I think Hello Venus's Nara did a pretty decent job. And the resolution of this couple's story was satisfying enough for me.

They also managed to at least create a different and kind of endearing ex-girlfriend character. It ended up being the source of comedy because of its pitifulness.

All in all, this was a good drama, but I recommend not having too much expectations before watching it and maybe you'll end up enjoying it much more than I did.

LaraChung
Jul 14, 2017
A fan of Jij Chang Wook since Healer, so perhaps I'm biased... ;)

I really enjoyed this drama. It has its flaws, though not many. The plot was engaging especially in the middle of the series. Most characters were cast well and some of them always put a smile on my face whenever they were being goofy or sarcastic (Mr. Bang!) There's some nice chemistry between the OTP Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyeon. There are enough cliché scenes, but that doesn't mean they were bothersome and even the noble idiocy felt justifiable!

I thought that the series didn't have really nice OST's... they weren't annoying or anything but they didn't stick into my head and stir up certain emotions whenever hearing the tune.

Pro's: great acting, sophisticated villain, chemistry between main OTP, kickass female lead, funny yet dark at the same time

Con's: not that great OST's, clichés, maybe 2 or 3 episodes too long (if they had made it a 16 episodes drama instead of 20(40×30mins), it would have been perfect)

I'd say an overall score of 8.5!

Maggy
Jul 18, 2017
Let's just stick to the categories:

Story: Why I took half a point of is because the female lead somehow overreacts a little concerning her father's death and Noh Ji Wook's involvement in it. I mean, come one, he was just a kid. But that was really the only annoying part. Overall it is a well developed, heart-warming but also very thrilling story. Here you've got everything: love, crime, thriller, comedy =) And this is also the way this show affects your feelings: you cry happy and sad tears (more happy ones though) and it never gets boring. Until the very end there are things that need to be resolved. Thankfully the romance does not wait to develop until the last few episodes, but starts really quickly (whoop whoop!).

Acting: Can't I give the cast an 11 or 12 or... 20? Because that is exactly how great the cast and their acting is! And this is also a huge part of why I love this drama so much. Honestly I did not know JCW before (shame on me! ;)) but after this show I totally fell in love with his acting. He depicts his character really well and shows his acting skills to the fullest. A huge praise also goes to Nam Ji Hyun and Choi Tae Joon for depicting their characters perfectly.

Music: Not annoying and not too much of it. Always very well placed.

Rewatch Value: One million times yes! I will definitely rewatch this!

Sakura19
Jun 22, 2017
I started watching this drama thinking that it would be another romantic comedy drama.Cast: Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun.Although I've seen Ji Chang Wook before (and he is an amazing actor),this was my first time watching Nam Ji Hyun (Eun Bong Hee),Choi Tae Joon(Ji Eun Hyuk).The supporting leads too have acted well.

I started with the first episode and it was good.I thought of continuing further (ofcourse because of Ji Chang Wook).And then....last few minutes of episode 2 and it turns out that this is a thriller-suspense drama! (haha I hadn't seen the teaser or the trailer before selecting this drama )Also,tbh, I love mystery-suspense-thriller dramas and the fact that I wasn't expecting this one to be a thriller-suspense drama was even more awesome! That's when I decided that I just had to continue with this drama!

Since Episode 3 till now,this drama is just awesome! The story is great! The actors have played their roles well .I like Ji Wook & Eun-Hyuk bromance (lol) and ofcourse the chemistry between the main leads (Ji Wook and Eun Bong Hee.) :D So I'd like others to watch this drama(although it's a suspense drama,the more you wait,the more exciting it is to watch the new episode.Btw there are 2 episodes every week so YAY! although they are 30 mins each;so that would be an hour altogether).
Overall:9.5/10

Linky
Jul 14, 2017
Though I can kind of understand the mixed reviews, I thought this was fun and romantic and think it's defintiely worth checking out. It starts off really strong with loads of romance and cuteness which fizzles somewhat with darker plot complications as the story progressed, but ultimately goes back to being cute. I feel like I've watched a few dramas recently that pair the cute romantic comedy and dark crime genres together. It seems like an difficult pairing to pull off, but this drama manages to do it adequately. So depending on how charismatic you find the main couple or how much you enjoy the crime story / villain you may really enjoy this.

PROS: Ji Chang Wook is my favorite actor since I watched him in Healer so I admit that makes me rate this drama higher than I might if he wasn't in it - maybe half a point higher. I was really happy to just watch him in something where he just plays a normal guy. For me this was enough to keep me entertained. I also liked Bong Hee and thought they had good chemistry together.

The supporting characters were cute and likable. I enjoyed the funny bickering of attorneys at the office. Their office meetings were always funny. I also thought the bickering moms storyline was funny. The mean female attorney character grew on me and became one of the more amusing side characters.

CONS: It doesn't finish as strongly as it started and to me a it drags a little in the middle when the crime storyline takes more prominence. The actor who plays the villain gets a lot of screen time and does a good job. But I just wasn't as invested in this part of the story. The plot was entertaining enough to keep my attention though. Certain plot points could have been amped up for more impact. And certain plot points are introduced that added complications but could have been done without. The second leads could have been given a little more to do. And the old friendship between 2 male leads could have been played up a little more. I would have liked to see more of them together.

That sounds like a lot of cons, but it is mostly picking at the plot. Overall, I thought this was a really fun and cute drama to watch and looked forward to each episode.

Charity Mariposa
Jun 18, 2017
His royal hotness, Ji Chang Wook, comes off strong and effective Atty. No Ji Wook, as expected of his range as an actor. He has the ever familiar gestures and stares that he has used to charm his love interests, but it works. Maybe I have been charmed by his bright smile and finely chiseled face, but he is one of the most formidable actors in K-dramaland no doubt.

Support characters, Atty. Byun and Atty. Ji Eun-Hyuk, are also effective and lovable. Nara's Cha Yoo Jung leaves a remarkable performance, as well.

The female lead is a big disappointment, lacking maturity as an actress, and lacks more depth as a character; she is supposed to be a black belt in Judo(?) and quite a strong/tough woman and yet she comes off weak and easily shaken.

It is almost painful to watch her acting opposite Ji Chang Wook. Nam Ji-Hyun's take on the character Eun-Bonghee is quite poor. She uses the same character reference for the provincial girl she portrayed in Shopping King Louie; which worked then for that show. Sadly, the same portrayal for a different and more empowered character in Suspicious Partner is flat out failure. She acts all cute with a cutesy voice that is not typical of a supposed confident lawyer / (acquitted) murder-suspect / mature lady, which is disturbing. Could she possibly be a miscast?

Can the writer do something to make character Atty. Eun Bonghee, smarter and more confident please? She is clearly surrounded by danger and yet she goes out alone at night, etc? Gosh, please help this character, writer-nim!