Because This is My First Life (2017) poster

Sai
Nov 28, 2017
OH MY GOD PLEASE WATCH THIS DRAMA!!! IT’S SO SO GOOD THAT I’M HAVING A HARD TIME PUTTING INTO WORDS!!!

Let me just start off with the fact that two of the first dramas I watched were I Really Really Like You and Playful Kiss, so seeing Lee Min Ki and Jung So Min in a drama again was exciting and nostalgic. I had high expectations for this show since the writer of this show also wrote Ho Goo’s Love (which, by the way, is a MUST watch) and I  worried that the bar I’d set for the show would not be met, which would probably ruin my love for the actors and the writer. However, my worries were unnecessary, because THIS SHOW IS IN MY TOP FIVE NOW! I can’t even begin to tell you how much I adored this show (though I must, since this is a review after all)! My expectations weren’t just met, they were exceeded! The plot, the actors, the music, the CHARACTERS! Everything was just so, so perfect and genuine!

Story/Plot: Oh my god, where do I even begin? This show was just so layered and wonderful! It wasn’t a melodrama by any means, but contained so much depth. The plot contained three simple plotlines: cohabitation/contract marriage, rich man and poor woman, and a struggling long term relationship. Often, when stories try to cram too many plotlines into one show, there are too many loose bits and ends. But in this drama, every character was purposeful and important, adding texture and depth to the story and the themes, and there were no loose ends. Speaking of themes, this drama was very progressive and dealt with issues that usually aren’t dealt with in Korean dramas. It challenged traditional gender stereotypes, sexual harassment in the work place, and the traditional meaning of marriage, but all in a very thoughtful and eloquent way. Perhaps I’m making this show sound boring, like a class at school, but it’s difficult to explain how such a simple idea was so revolutionized through some VERY skilled writing. The whole show seemed deliberate, and not cliche at all, despite how the storyline seems on the surface. You’ll just have to see it for yourself! I promise that you’ll love every moment of it!

Characters/Cast: As I was saying earlier, the surface level plotline is very simple, but what really enhanced the story and made it so enjoyable were the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT characters! All of them were so realistic, and their thoughts were clear and coherent, and they weren’t there just to waste screentime. Starting with the main couple, Ji Ho and Se Hee were just so nice to watch. They had great chemistry and by this point, I just want LMK and JSM to date in real life! Ji Ho was really the star, because seeing such an intelligent main character in dramas is rare. She knew what she wanted and she approached it wholeheartedly, and overall, she was a very relatable character. Se Hee, on the other hand, encompasses a person’s more weary and cautious side, because he was afraid to be hurt and even more afraid of hurting others. The show focused on them and their character development rather than adding useless love triangles. On the topic of triangles, there were technically two, but both were short lived and ESSENTIAL to the story, because they brought out new sides in the main characters. What really stood out to me was how realistic the rivals were (if you could even call them that). I’d say that one of my favorite characters was the ex girlfriend, and I can’t say more without spoiling the story, but her arch was one that was worth watching. She was a realistic and admirable character, unlike the conniving ex girlfriends you usually see in dramas. The other two couples in the story were equally important, and their stories were full of substance and lessons worth watching. Soo Ji teaches us to follow our dreams and stand up for what’s right, against the face of adversity. Ho Rang and Won Seok teach us that there’s a difference between love and marriage, and that the bad things that happen are often unavoidable and we must move forward. I won’t go into the details, but the character development in all three couples is worth watching and then rewatching a couple more times! Every wonderful character in this story was played by a wonderful actor that truly did the characters justice, and I have no complaints at all with the perfect casting or the extremely convincing acting. (I might be a bit biased since I love Lee Min Ki, but the difference for someone who doesn’t love him already might be the difference between an 11/10 vs a 10/10 rating. Either way, it’s PERFECT!)

Music: This review is already long enough, so I’ll be brief. I downloaded the whole soundtrack! So cute and perfectly suited for this drama! >v<

Rewatch Value: Usually I don’t even mention the rewatch value since I rarely rewatch dramas regardless of how good they are, but I have to mention it this time! I finished episode 14 two days before episode 15 came out, and I started to rewatch my favorite episodes while I waited! I just wanted to relive all the cute moments, and I can’t wait to finish the show so that I can rewatch and relive everything a few months from now! The show is really refreshing and light, despite the heavy progressive reform oriented subplots, and it seems to be very timeless. It’s worth watching at any age, but I feel like it gets better and better as you get older and experience dilemmas faced by the characters. The value for me is a solid 10/10, since I’m already itching to rewatch it!

Overall: As you’re probably aware by now, because of all the gushing I’ve been doing, I LOVE THIS SHOW! I can’t recommend it highly enough! Everything was flawless, and I don’t say that very often. Please give this beautiful show a chance, because I know you won’t regret it! <3 In fact, you’ll be missing out if you don’t!

Maybe this show will be part of your room 19 ;))

Edit (Contains a hint of a soft spoiler): I've been reading a lot of comments saying that Ji Ho was selfish in the last two episodes, and I just wanted to say that I completely disagree - Ji Ho was trying to understand her own feelings and see whether or not her feelings were long lasting, and she gave Se Hee a chance to do so as well. While this might have hurt Se Hee in the short term, it let both of them be sure about whether or not they want to be together for the long term, so that they aren't hurt once they're in a truly serious and committed relationship.

Shivi
Dec 1, 2017
WARNING : this drama is only for sensible and mature audience. The contents of this drama can blow your mind so it is highly recommended to watch it on your own risk.
the drama revolves around lives of 3 couples in their 30s. It narrates how the difficulties that they face in their lives can be explained in the most plain yet deep words. Also the relationship b/w different couples and how they try to overcome it. The best part about this drama is the way how unexplained feelings are explained in simplest way. How a loveless marriage can make 2 people fall for each other more deeper and yet maintain their space without intruding each other's privacy. It explains how the society is still cursed by discrimination, nepotism and gender based inequality.  At times it was able to give some honest views about how the female leads felt by expressing their true self and not covering up their tears behind makeup or a mask. Because nothing haunts you more than the things and feelings left unexpressed.
Although it was a good drama but there are still some drawbacks which I want to point out.
1. The episodes were too long because the writers were suppose to focus on all 3 leads.
2. The storyline was unpredictable in start but it became a bit predictable after some episodes.
3. It got bit monotonous after few episodes because it started following the story of clichéd kdramas. So I would watch it after piling it up then watching it fresh.

So lastly I would say that more then the story or acting, the way each dialogue of this drama was carefully knitted to the scenes or people associated with it was beautiful. Each line of the drama depicts the struggles and hidden meaNing that could be read from our surroundings to overcome it. Also how some plain lines can express a person's emotions and his personality in a raw and simple form.

Zoe
Apr 22, 2018
“It’s easier to be crazy than to explain something that people can’t understand. Actually it’s more convenient that way. It’s better to be crazy than pathetic.”

Let me get this out of the way first. Nobody growing up in Korea would think that a marriage of convenience would ever be the simple answer to life’s problems. With all these family obligations, societal expectations and unspoken rules, it’s ridiculous to imagine so. There are so many great things about this drama that are so different. No one pays attention to the CEO. The feminine representations are the best. The chirpy office girl is so sardonic. The women treat each other with respect.

Ji Ho – female lead
Ji Ho is a wonderful Kdrama heroine. She has this beautiful inner strength and the ability to laugh at herself and own up to her crazy actions. She actually runs very hot and cold like a Korean male hero. Towards the end of the drama she really has gender role reversals and is totally tough.

Se Hee
“Do you know how much stress people like you give me?”

Se Hee’s honesty is beautiful. I also love the way his preserves Ji Ho’s autonomy.
The cat is a major focus in Se Hee’s life. It’s so adorable. Yes, Se Hee is introverted, but he still is highly aware of other people’s perspectives and feelings.

Romance

“Something that’s not simple just started.”

It’s such a great start to a relationship that Se Hee likes everything about Ji Ho. He’s not looking down on her for those usual reasons of messiness, clumsiness, chattiness, etc. He’s not annoyed by her at all.

“If you have some time, would you marry me?”

“I noticed you washed the instant noodle bowl.”
“Yes, it’s a habit.”
“You have a really good habit.”

These two are an amazing couple. They are so normal. I love the way the pair meet through a series of texts and notes. I was concerned about what would happen when the truth came out, but they both dealt with it maturely without the ridiculous high drama that I predicted would ensue.
I appreciated the approach that they first found themselves to be so compatible and the relationship developed from there instead of this opposites attract sort of premise that is so rampant.
They have a great positivity in their relationship. Se Hee is so polite to Ji Ho.

Se Hee’s way of falling in love is too cute. He is such a reserved character, but the drama shows all the little ways that he is falling in love. Actually, when he talks to other people about Ji Ho, you can really see how much he cares about her and how much he notices about her.

I love the way they start really looking at each other. For me, that was the sweetest moment when they’d bump into each other somewhere, do an awkward bow and just look at each other as if they’re savouring the happiness and looking at their love’s face.

I thought the ending would go the standard route of miscommunication and missed opportunities. But the drama does well to surprise us with what each character actually knows.

While normally I wouldn’t encourage emotional whiplash from either gender, I feel a bit satisfied seeing the heroine get to play the strategic hero when it comes to romance while the hero flops around helplessly. It’s a bit of a different angle too, that throughout the show the hero is flawlessly considerate and he needs to pull out some selfish sentences so the heroine understands he actually has feelings.

Work

“We are not family. Let’s get paid properly.” I love this slogan haha.
The drama portrays different work environments from Ho Rang’s restaurant to Soo Ji’s corporate world.

Family
Ji Ho’s mother is really a great dynamic to the show. I enjoyed her unpredictable interactions with people and she has a most meaningful conversation with Se Hee. Considering her relationship with her husband, it was wonderful to hear Se Hee’s point of view of how he won’t be lording over his wife.

Ji Ho’s sister in law is quite nice. I was glad she was also normal, wanting to be on good terms with Ji Ho.

Ji Ho’s friends are great. They are both actresses that I’m familiar with from shows that made a big impact on me. They are multi-dimensional women. I always feel so happy to see a cheery slightly ditzy character in a managerial position.

Ho Rang
She’s a pretty average girl. Who knew a sofa could be the cause of so much drama and miscommunication.

Soo Ji
I first saw Esom in White Christmas where obviously she seemed so small next to all the male models that starred in that show. She is an amazing character in this show with so many hidden layers. She’s snarky, but also motherly. She has an active sex life but doesn’t flaunt it and yet continually gets discriminated and harassed at work for her gender. The drama demonstrates this so strongly but not in an in your face harsh manner. I liked seeing Soo Ji still living life despite being so submissive at work. I wasn’t sure if I would like her love line but really Mr. Ma is so cute with her. I agree with his assessment of her.

“You look like a baby when you smile. But you look scary in general.”

Mr. Ma
“I’m a bit scared to be scolded by you twice in one day. Gosh, Soo Ji is the scariest in the world!”

Mr. Ma has a unique way of using his voice in different scenarios that makes his character really come alive.

MomshieDucK
Mar 15, 2018
The most untypical kdrama that I have watched thus far!! So realistic and adult like and I mean they even show people smoking!!! (We all know a good percentage of Koreans are smokers and its usually never shown in dramas) This drama had very adult problems and adult solutions. Some parts of the story line, unless you've lived it, I think would probably be a bit confusing as to why certain characters do certain things. Great drama though! I breezed through all 16 episodes and am really bummed that it is over. If you liked the male lead in Lucky Romance, you will enjoy this male lead as well. You become so invested in the characters and their story lines and really feel for what they are going through because it is all so relatable. It has one of the most bada** female characters that I have seen. Really so enjoyable and like everyone says a breath of fresh air to watch.

Aya
Apr 24, 2018
I picked up this drama randomly at a dark time when not so good dramas were airing and I had nothing else to watch. I didn’t have a lot of expectations, it looked to me as the usual cliché rom-com that I would eventually drop but that would be enough to fill my evening routine.

However, the drama didn’t have any of the clichés I had expected. From the first episode I felt something new and refreshing about this drama, and I liked it immediately. What I enjoyed the most is that the characters, their circonstances, jobs or family backgrounds seemed REAL.

I really liked how the main couples didn’t have the monopole of the storyline as the two side couples were as entertaining as the main. Each story was unique and interesting. I was really curious about the development of their relationship as I could identify myself with the characters even though they are so different from each other.

What I enjoyed the most is that apart of just being a romantic drama, it mentioned some real and important issues as inequalities between man and women in their workplace, women’s sexual harassment, the financial problems to acquire a property in South Korea or the exagerated costs of a marriage.

Finally I think that the cast was just perfect, the acting was on point, not only for the main characters but all the others as well. Lee Min Ki was my personal fave, I found him so convincing and really enjoyed the fact that he was not the usual annoying rich mama boy who bullies the main female. His character was rational and pleasant to watch. I really look forward to see him in more dramas. Lee Som was also one of my fave, not only is she freaking beautiful, her character is the ultimate female bad ass working girl goal. All the actors did such a great job.

I tried to find some flaws because I’m usually really peaky but really, couldn’t find any. This drama is a precious gem. I would definitely recommend it to anyone if you wish to see a quality rom-com drama that is light and funny but also treats of serious issues, portrayed by amazing actors with an original plot.

Finally, after some drama drought, 2017 has been saved, at least it's
second half. Because this is our first is a drama that could have been
overlooked easily, considering the fact that there weren't many "big"
names in the cast (and I mean popular idols or actors). Plus, the story
was a bit too ordinary to make a buzz. But, it turned out to be a
seriously cosy and romantic drama. The acting was perfect from all the
actors and actresses and especially the leading lady was extra cute and
lovable. The main story was sweet and cute, but the side ones were
interesting as well. Plus, the theme was a bit unique, with some scenes
that couldn't be found easily in the typical silly innocent love
dramas. However, I did find the ending a bit too cliché, considering
the rest of the drama. At least, it had the conclusion that I was
hoping for. So, 8.5 out of 10.

HappySqueak
Nov 29, 2017
I watched this drama and kept waiting and hoping it would get better. I was sadly disappointed with the story direction which just went in circles for the leads. I found it a dysfunctional mess from start to finish, so could not really recommend it to anyone. The characters did not really develop much so that was then only consistent element in the story. Character life lessons to learn, were poorly approached and not handled well. Any glimmer of potential break through developments were weakly implemented or obscurely approached, so the cast were often in odd situations that were just cringe worthy.  The plot was really muddled and even the supporting characters storylines were not strong or that compelling.

Truly_Ruth
Nov 29, 2017
CAUSATION: Beyond this point readers are warned that the following contains some mature, petty content with dramatic language, so I don't need no hateration, holleration in this dancery!

Personally, I was so disappointed with this ending that I was forced to make my first review to save others. Honestly, this drama had some quotable moments before shit hit the fan towards the end.

I enjoyed:
-BEST OTS of 2017 better than Goblin and DOTS put together.
-I love the consistency of the GOOD acting skills from ALL the cast members even the supporting,
-Filming cuts and narrating from both leading allowing the audience to gain different perspectives. And increased your understanding of the characters actions and emotions (I think it humanised a lot of characters that appeared selfish).
-the beginning with very addicting because it seemed to have an adult tone with relative beautifully written plots.
-At first I appreciated the balance between the cheesy couple moments with the reflective tone.
-this drama had a lot of potential as it approached adult relationships with characters responding close (comparing to with general kdrama standards) to realistic reactions.
-Every couple had me in my feelings with the chemistry in the relationship being natural in some and others realistically awkwardly progressing (again believable pacing ).
-This was the first drama that EMPOWERED me to venture outside me shallow preferences.
-I was grateful for REAL kisses and make-out scenes.
-No last minute kiss scenes (waiting for 525600 minutes).
-The writers didn't complicate nor prolong meet ques or plot-lines (to an extent).
-I never skipped because the dialogue and the pace of every episode was synced.
-interesting story lines.
-The filming was on POINT! Especially the shots and angles because they added to the actors performances,  made certain scenes more intense and kept it simple avoiding distracting the viewers (camera focus was clear as iPhone users).

-I would suggest this drama for those seeking a light hearted drama filler.

Disliked:
-I took it too seriously and I got more invested as it aired.
-When shit hit the fan and the last script scenes went with it.
-Went from unique drama to basic kdrama.
-The writer thought it was a laugh 'ticking' me with  unnecessary story-lines that just ended up back square one.
-Made me root for hopelessness!
-Sacrificed a LOT of the casts character's development and defining decides for certain character's personal growth. (.e.g.  Yoon Ji Ho's traits went from Lovely Sam soon Kim Sam Soon to Goong- Shin Chaekyung).
-Unexplained character possessions of all the main cast- near the end had them making out of character decisions.
-The supporting cast vanished (deleted my bae #HotnessInPink).
-Limited episodes made some characters seem neglected because we didn't have enough time to explore their backgrounds, resulting in certain relationships only scratching the surface.
-Cliche BS Rom-con moral of the story ''love conqueror all''.
-Stops addressing the topic ''what happens to couples when love is not enough''.
-Decided to be messy and take notes from 'How I met your mother' with a CERTAIN couple.
-Questionable introduced plots could have added depth to story-lines but were abandoned or water-down.
-Contains contradictory  messages comparing them to previous dialogues and the narratives points.

No, I will not re-watch this kdrama and I'm done with tvN thanks for another misleading journey towards a filler fluffy ending.
VIEWER DISCLAIMER: Please do not proceed to complete this drama in the event you are still suffering from PTSD, which were triggered by reply 1988, Cheese in the Trap or Another Miss Oh.

Reyna
Apr 21, 2018
BECAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST REVIEW: I barely write reviews on dramas that I've watched but this drama made me do so! I'm not the type of person to set expectations whenever I watch korean dramas, but for some reason this show has made me set one for others. At first, all of the casts were fresh to me. I didn't really adored them at first (well, except for Jung So Min, I adored her ever since), but as I went through each episode, I grew to know and love the characters even more. The plot line was also unique and fresh, it wasn't like any other drama out there. There's just so much to learn and see in this drama so it's definitely a MUST-WATCH. I won't elaborate on further as I might spoil other people. But hey, you won't regret watching this korean drama. JUNG SO MIN, LEE MIN KI, FIGHTING! <3 P.S. I wasn't a cat person, but I am now because of Woori!!

Leigh
Jul 31, 2018
I never write reviews for dramas, but I REALLY had to write one for this drama because honestly - this drama has my heart.

For the fellas who still haven't seen this drama, or are doubting to watch it: whether or not you decide to watch this drama, my advice is: give it a chance. You will be mindblown while watching it.

I'll try to keep this review spoiler free as much as possible.

I don't even know where to start, actually. At first, I was a bit sceptical about the marriage contract storyline. It sounded a bit typical: the male lead and the female lead marrying each other because of the benefiting circumstances, instead of marrying each other because of love - but eventually ending up falling in love with each other not soon afterwards. However, these benefiting circumstances made the storyline intriguing - and very realistic. It made me rethink my thoughts on marriage and love and how these two elements are connected to each other. Also, I loved how they portrayed the daily, common struggles almost every adult goes through - sometimes even in a lighthearted way, which made it very bearable to watch. It was TOO relatable, I shed a tear while watching literally EVERY episode.

They honestly could not have chosen a better cast for this drama. I'm impressed with all the actors, but Lee Min Ki has made a HUGE impression on me. Nam Se Hee seems like a very complex character to play - a house-poor man in his 30s who does not give a damn about anything except for his mortgage, his work and his cat. His emotionless pokerface literally pierces through you, the tone in his voice so FLAT that it's almost worrisome. While the character is supposed to portray no single emotion on his face, he cannot help but be human as well and have feelings and emotions - this is where Lee Min Ki succeeds in portraying Se Hee's character: showing Se Hee's emotional side effortlessly and naturally. He couldn't have done a better job on this.
I enjoyed Jung So Min's acting as well. She's very talented in what she does and didn't fail to make me laugh multiple times while watching this drama. She is definitely made for rom-com dramas like this. Also, I LOVED it when she used her dialect, her tone sounded very natural and not forced at all.

The chemistry between the actors was great. I loved the main couple, but as I watched this drama, I couldn't help falling in love with the side characters as well. They have a certain importance in the storyline which makes the drama even more amazing. The episodes are a bit on the long side, but that's very reasonable if you want to focus on all three couples - they did a great job on this. The music is very great as well - I couldn't help but bawl my eyes out every time I'd hear Ben's beautiful voice in a sad scene. Would I rewatch this drama? Oh, yes. Although it felt like I was going through an emotional crisis while watching this drama, I'd experience it all over again.

Some points they could have done better:
- I wanted to see more of Bo Mi. She was a very interesting character and the actress was so pretty! She honestly deserved more screentime :(
- MORE EPISODES. LITTLE SPOILER AHEAD, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK, IT'S ABOUT THE ENDING: I really wanted to see more of Se Hee's and Ji Ho's marriage at the end. The ending was satisfying, but I felt like there could be more skinship/kisses/sweet moments between the couple at the end. Or maybe a sequel as an extra episode wouldn't be bad either. Thank god we have their little cameo in What's Wrong With Secretary Kim to satisfy our sequel needs. Imma rewatch that cameo again after finishing this review.

I'm bad at ending reviews because I never know how to end one actually, but I hope I convinced the ones who were doubting to watch BTIMFL. For the ones who have watched it already and came to read my review for fun: well, I hoped you enjoyed reading it! This drama is definitely a 10/10, and you're an intellectual for watching it.

Panda_San
Nov 28, 2017
Finally , It  been such a long time waiting for a good drama to watch !!! Lately I could not get into any Korean drama ...

I have to say the Writer did an amazing job writing this piece of work it is very well written & the production was well executed , I liked how the story was not forced &  a lot of us in this generation can relate to this ( Sons favoritism , Working women suffering sexual harassment , Marriage , Dreams ... ect ) .

Is marriage is the ultimate goal for any couple in love ? Does everyone need to get married ?? The society we live in make us think that marriage is a must ..
The problem that makes a lot of us hesitate about marriage is that if you got married you will have to compromise your dreams & have to satisfy your partner , in laws and family ! It may makes you feel suffocated .

Each couple in this drama were trying to find the meaning for their relationship , I quit liked the progress and character development ...

The actors were all amazing , it been a long time for us to see Lee Minki in dramas & am happy that he chooses this one after this long hiatus from drama world xD

I think this kind of drama the teens\early 20's may not enjoy it  , the concept is for mature audience ...  I liked that the writer brought the issues about ( Sons favoritism , sexual harassment ) but they did not focus much on it which I really hope for it but I think because there's already 3 couples & only 16 Ep to cover maybe there was no time to discuss them .

And for me this not the type of drama that I'll rewatch cause there was no suspense & the final episode was cute but I think it was rushed , but it doesn't mean I did not enjoyed it ~

This drama kinda reminds me of a Japanese Drama " We Married as a Job " it was also nice to watch ..

Do not hesitate to watch this ~

Jessica
Jan 1, 2018
Wow....where to even begin with this incredible and amazing drama? It was incredibly balanced with progressivism and realism.

The writing was truly on another level; organically-written, deeply thoughtful, and incredible humorous, all at the appropriate times. It follows the stories of 3 couples in their 30s: a house-poor man with a monotonous life gets tangled up with an assistant drama writer in need a place to stay, a turbulent 7 year relationship with an unclear trajectory, and a female professional who deals with workplace sexual harassment and her romance with a submissive CEO. There's themes of family, romance, marriage, friendship, success, and Korean tradition. There's endless book quotes, film allusions, and references to sociologists that enrich the narration and the dialogue. You can just tell that there's intellect and talent in the team behind this drama, as it's incredibly thoughtfully crafted. Even though I'm only 18, I truly enjoyed the more mature/adult vibes of this drama. No spoilers, but I can safely say that if you want a drama that makes you squeal out loud, cry actual tears, and stays in your heart even after it's over WATCH THIS SHOW.

As for the cast, I couldn't have asked for a better cast or more convincing acting, truly a 10/10. Not only was each character thoughtfully written, but I could tell each actor immersed themselves in their individual character's narrative. Lee MinKi outdid himself with the nuanced emotions of Nam SeHee, and Jung SoMin's ability to be cute, fiery, passive, and flustered all within the same episode really charmed me. Everyone was awesome.

I'm not going to lie- I have super high standards for soundtracks, and while this one didn't absolutely blow me away, it was really nice and fitting for the drama. It was cute and light, and I really enjoyed the original score!

I don't typically rewatch dramas, but I can definitely say that I would have no problems watching this one over and over again- it's just so darn good!

I honestly don't think I can ever look at kdramas the same after just how amazing and gratifying this one has been. It was cute, deeply reflective, and overall a fun ride. I'm a slice-of-life fanatic, but I genuinely recommend this drama for everyone of all preferences! A game-changer!