The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Because This is My First Life

• Members: 8,852

Because This is My First Life (2017)

sai-fy
OH MY GOD PLEASE WATCH THIS DRAMA!!! IT’S SO SO GOOD THAT I’M HAVING A HARD TIME PUTTING INTO WORDS!!!

Let me just start off with the fact that two of the first dramas I watched were I Really Really Like You and Playful Kiss, so seeing Lee Min Ki and Jung So Min in a drama again was exciting and nostalgic. I had high expectations for this show since the writer of this show also wrote Ho Goo’s Love (which, by the way, is a MUST watch) and I  worried that the bar I’d set for the show would not be met, which would probably ruin my love for the actors and the writer. However, my worries were unnecessary, because THIS SHOW IS IN MY TOP FIVE NOW! I can’t even begin to tell you how much I adored this show (though I must, since this is a review after all)! My expectations weren’t just met, they were exceeded! The plot, the actors, the music, the CHARACTERS! Everything was just so, so perfect and genuine!

Story/Plot: Oh my god, where do I even begin? This show was just so layered and wonderful! It wasn’t a melodrama by any means, but contained so much depth. The plot contained three simple plotlines: cohabitation/contract marriage, rich man and poor woman, and a struggling long term relationship. Often, when stories try to cram too many plotlines into one show, there are too many loose bits and ends. But in this drama, every character was purposeful and important, adding texture and depth to the story and the themes, and there were no loose ends. Speaking of themes, this drama was very progressive and dealt with issues that usually aren’t dealt with in Korean dramas. It challenged traditional gender stereotypes, sexual harassment in the work place, and the traditional meaning of marriage, but all in a very thoughtful and eloquent way. Perhaps I’m making this show sound boring, like a class at school, but it’s difficult to explain how such a simple idea was so revolutionized through some VERY skilled writing. The whole show seemed deliberate, and not cliche at all, despite how the storyline seems on the surface. You’ll just have to see it for yourself! I promise that you’ll love every moment of it!

Characters/Cast: As I was saying earlier, the surface level plotline is very simple, but what really enhanced the story and made it so enjoyable were the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT characters! All of them were so realistic, and their thoughts were clear and coherent, and they weren’t there just to waste screentime. Starting with the main couple, Ji Ho and Se Hee were just so nice to watch. They had great chemistry and by this point, I just want LMK and JSM to date in real life! Ji Ho was really the star, because seeing such an intelligent main character in dramas is rare. She knew what she wanted and she approached it wholeheartedly, and overall, she was a very relatable character. Se Hee, on the other hand, encompasses a person’s more weary and cautious side, because he was afraid to be hurt and even more afraid of hurting others. The show focused on them and their character development rather than adding useless love triangles. On the topic of triangles, there were technically two, but both were short lived and ESSENTIAL to the story, because they brought out new sides in the main characters. What really stood out to me was how realistic the rivals were (if you could even call them that). I’d say that one of my favorite characters was the ex girlfriend, and I can’t say more without spoiling the story, but her arch was one that was worth watching. She was a realistic and admirable character, unlike the conniving ex girlfriends you usually see in dramas. The other two couples in the story were equally important, and their stories were full of substance and lessons worth watching. Soo Ji teaches us to follow our dreams and stand up for what’s right, against the face of adversity. Ho Rang and Won Seok teach us that there’s a difference between love and marriage, and that the bad things that happen are often unavoidable and we must move forward. I won’t go into the details, but the character development in all three couples is worth watching and then rewatching a couple more times! Every wonderful character in this story was played by a wonderful actor that truly did the characters justice, and I have no complaints at all with the perfect casting or the extremely convincing acting. (I might be a bit biased since I love Lee Min Ki, but the difference for someone who doesn’t love him already might be the difference between an 11/10 vs a 10/10 rating. Either way, it’s PERFECT!)

Music: This review is already long enough, so I’ll be brief. I downloaded the whole soundtrack! So cute and perfectly suited for this drama! >v<

Rewatch Value: Usually I don’t even mention the rewatch value since I rarely rewatch dramas regardless of how good they are, but I have to mention it this time! I finished episode 14 two days before episode 15 came out, and I started to rewatch my favorite episodes while I waited! I just wanted to relive all the cute moments, and I can’t wait to finish the show so that I can rewatch and relive everything a few months from now! The show is really refreshing and light, despite the heavy progressive reform oriented subplots, and it seems to be very timeless. It’s worth watching at any age, but I feel like it gets better and better as you get older and experience dilemmas faced by the characters. The value for me is a solid 10/10, since I’m already itching to rewatch it!

Overall: As you’re probably aware by now, because of all the gushing I’ve been doing, I LOVE THIS SHOW! I can’t recommend it highly enough! Everything was flawless, and I don’t say that very often. Please give this beautiful show a chance, because I know you won’t regret it! <3 In fact, you’ll be missing out if you don’t!

Maybe this show will be part of your room 19 ;))

Edit: I've been reading a lot of comments saying that Ji Ho was selfish in the last two episodes, and I just wanted to say that I completely disagree - Ji Ho was trying to understand her own feelings and see whether or not her feelings were long lasting or not, and she gave Se Hee a chance to do so as well.

shivali
WARNING : this drama is only for sensible and mature audience. The contents of this drama can blow your mind so it is highly recommended to watch it on your own risk.
the drama revolves around lives of 3 couples in their 30s. It narrates how the difficulties that they face in their lives can be explained in the most plain yet deep words. Also the relationship b/w different couples and how they try to overcome it. The best part about this drama is the way how unexplained feelings are explained in simplest way. How a loveless marriage can make 2 people fall for each other more deeper and yet maintain their space without intruding each other's privacy. It explains how the society is still cursed by discrimination, nepotism and gender based inequality.  At times it was able to give some honest views about how the female leads felt by expressing their true self and not covering up their tears behind makeup or a mask. Because nothing haunts you more than the things and feelings left unexpressed.
Although it was a good drama but there are still some drawbacks which I want to point out.
1. The episodes were too long because the writers were suppose to focus on all 3 leads.
2. The storyline was unpredictable in start but it became a bit predictable after some episodes.
3. It got bit monotonous after few episodes because it started following the story of clichéd kdramas. So I would watch it after piling it up then watching it fresh.

So lastly I would say that more then the story or acting, the way each dialogue of this drama was carefully knitted to the scenes or people associated with it was beautiful. Each line of the drama depicts the struggles and hidden meaNing that could be read from our surroundings to overcome it. Also how some plain lines can express a person's emotions and his personality in a raw and simple form.

Panda_San
Finally , It  been such a long time waiting for a good drama to watch !!! Lately I could not get into any Korean drama ...

I have to say the Writer did an amazing job writing this piece of work it is very well written & the production was well executed , I liked how the story was not forced &  a lot of us in this generation can relate to this ( Sons favoritism , Working women suffering sexual harassment , Marriage , Dreams ... ect ) .

Is marriage is the ultimate goal for any couple in love ? Does everyone need to get married ?? The society we live in make us think that marriage is a must ..
The problem that makes a lot of us hesitate about marriage is that if you got married you will have to compromise your dreams & have to satisfy your partner , in laws and family ! It may makes you feel suffocated .

Each couple in this drama were trying to find the meaning for their relationship , I quit liked the progress and character development ...

The actors were all amazing , it been a long time for us to see Lee Minki in dramas & am happy that he chooses this one after this long hiatus from drama world xD

I think this kind of drama the teens\early 20's may not enjoy it  , the concept is for mature audience ...  I liked that the writer brought the issues about ( Sons favoritism , sexual harassment ) but they did not focus much on it which I really hope for it but I think because there's already 3 couples & only 16 Ep to cover maybe there was no time to discuss them .

And for me this not the type of drama that I'll rewatch cause there was no suspense & the final episode was cute but I think it was rushed , but it doesn't mean I did not enjoyed it ~

This drama kinda reminds me of a Japanese Drama " We Married as a Job " it was also nice to watch ..

Do not hesitate to watch this ~

Ruth
CAUSATION: Beyond this point readers are warned that the following contains some mature, petty content with dramatic language, so I don't need no hateration, holleration in this dancery!

Personally, I was so disappointed with this ending that I was forced to make my first review to save others. Honestly, this drama had some quotable moments before shit hit the fan towards the end.

I enjoyed:
-BEST OTS of 2017 better than Goblin and DOTS put together.
-I love the consistency of the GOOD acting skills from ALL the cast members even the supporting,
-Filming cuts and narrating from both leading allowing the audience to gain different perspectives. And increased your understanding of the characters actions and emotions (I think it humanised a lot of characters that appeared selfish).
-the beginning with very addicting because it seemed to have an adult tone with relative beautifully written plots.
-At first I appreciated the balance between the cheesy couple moments with the reflective tone.
-this drama had a lot of potential as it approached adult relationships with characters responding close (comparing to with general kdrama standards) to realistic reactions.
-Every couple had me in my feelings with the chemistry in the relationship being natural in some and others realistically awkwardly progressing (again believable pacing ).
-This was the first drama that EMPOWERED me to venture outside me shallow preferences.
-I was grateful for REAL kisses and make-out scenes.
-No last minute kiss scenes (waiting for 525600 minutes).
-The writers didn't complicate nor prolong meet ques or plot-lines (to an extent).
-I never skipped because the dialogue and the pace of every episode was synced.
-interesting story lines.
-The filming was on POINT! Especially the shots and angles because they added to the actors performances,  made certain scenes more intense and kept it simple avoiding distracting the viewers (camera focus was clear as iPhone users).

-I would suggest this drama for those seeking a light hearted drama filler.

Disliked:
-I took it too seriously and I got more invested as it aired.
-When shit hit the fan and the last script scenes went with it.
-Went from unique drama to basic kdrama.
-The writer thought it was a laugh 'ticking' me with  unnecessary story-lines that just ended up back square one.
-Made me root for hopelessness!
-Sacrificed a LOT of the casts character's development and defining decides for certain character's personal growth. (.e.g.  Yoon Ji Ho's traits went from Lovely Sam soon Kim Sam Soon to Goong- Shin Chaekyung).
-Unexplained character possessions of all the main cast- near the end had them making out of character decisions.
-The supporting cast vanished (deleted my bae #HotnessInPink).
-Limited episodes made some characters seem neglected because we didn't have enough time to explore their backgrounds, resulting in certain relationships only scratching the surface.
-Cliche BS Rom-con moral of the story ''love conqueror all''.
-Stops addressing the topic ''what happens to couples when love is not enough''.
-Decided to be messy and take notes from 'How I met your mother' with a CERTAIN couple.
-Questionable introduced plots could have added depth to story-lines but were abandoned or water-down.
-Contains contradictory  messages comparing them to previous dialogues and the narratives points.

No, I will not re-watch this kdrama and I'm done with tvN thanks for another misleading journey towards a filler fluffy ending.
VIEWER DISCLAIMER: Please do not proceed to complete this drama in the event you are still suffering from PTSD, which were triggered by reply 1988, Cheese in the Trap or Another Miss Oh.

Finally, after some drama drought, 2017 has been saved, at least it's
second half. Because this is our first is a drama that could have been
overlooked easily, considering the fact that there weren't many "big"
names in the cast (and I mean popular idols or actors). Plus, the story
was a bit too ordinary to make a buzz. But, it turned out to be a
seriously cosy and romantic drama. The acting was perfect from all the
actors and actresses and especially the leading lady was extra cute and
lovable. The main story was sweet and cute, but the side ones were
interesting as well. Plus, the theme was a bit unique, with some scenes
that couldn't be found easily in the typical silly innocent love
dramas. However, I did find the ending a bit too cliché, considering
the rest of the drama. At least, it had the conclusion that I was
hoping for. So, 8.5 out of 10.

kingsqueen
I wrote and rewrote this review about 3 times. I'm having a hard time putting into words how wonderful this show was. I think it was the one of best written show that I've watched this year  (the half point off the story is mainly for a resolution I didn't agree with). I enjoyed all three love stories and how they tackled some heavy and mature topics along the way. It's a slice of life style drama that focuses on relationships. Love, marriage, expectations of society, expectations of our families. I can't even begin to describe the level of writing this show carried for nearly the whole series.

I loved Se Hee and Ji Ho, and I loved Soo Ji and Sang Goo - all terrific characters and actors. While I liked Ho Rang and Won Seok a bit less, I still enjoyed their story.
The actors were mostly new to me, but I was most impressed with Lee Min Ki (and his captivating eyes that said so much with few words), Jung So Min, and Lee Som. Lee Min Ki took Se Hee's character to a level that would be hard to achieve with just any actor. I think it took quite a bit of skill to play Se Hee. Jung So Min had the cutest expressions, and Ji Ho was so very thoughtful and somehow, her personality just fit with Se Hee's so perfectly. Ji Ho was a very strong person even if she seemed meek on the outside. She certainly never let anyone run over her, and I thought that so unlike most drama heroines. I loved that about her! Soo Ji was just kick-butt awesome, and I loved how Sang Goo finessed his way into her heart and life. (I think Soo Ji and Sang Goo could almost have carried a series of their own!) Bo Mi was my favorite supporting character and wish there had been room for more of her. And last, but not least, Kitty gets honorable mentions as the cutest non-human character in the show!

The main song, This Life, was beautiful and I never got tired of hearing it.
I've already rewatched almost all of this, and I think I could happily do so again.

Linky
Because This is My First Life is more thoughtful and pensive than most romantic comedies, but there is still a good dose of comic moments and fun. Much of the comedy comes from the quirkiness of the main characters particularly the super analytical and closed off Se Hee and how he interacts with those around him. I enjoyed this drama finding the characters likable and well acted. I enjoyed the side stories pretty much equally to the main love story. The story explores issues about marriage, love and relationships and I could relate and feel for the problems that the couples faced. The last couple episodes were really touching and had me in tears. The 2 side relationships are more realistic than the main love story and I have experienced aspects of their relationships in my own life so I really felt for them -  particularly the conflicts that come up between long term couples like Ho Rang and Won Seok.

Though I did find the  the main love story amusing, I think it's the weakest part of this drama. The premise is so out there that I never fully bought into it and never really understood why they had to get married. It made way for some funny  situations, but never really made sense to me. There is a slow halting awkwardness to the mannerisms of the 2 leads that is in character,  but can be frustrating to watch. They look like they are sleepwalking from scene to scene for much of the drama. The actors manage to pull it off enough to make it worth it to me, but it did drag a lot when they conversed. Every sentence of their dialogue is punctuated by long halting dramatic pauses that don't reveal much. They had their share of sparky chemistry moments. But I looked for some happy flow in their scenes together and that was missing here. I am not sure if I missed the scenes that made me understand why they fall for each other. Their scenes together often seem like an excuse to make quiet observations about life, love and marriage. But overall the drama is quirky, funny and thought provoking enough to make for an entertaining viewing experience.

Dimana
As  a person who doesn't usually enjoy daily life themed dramas, I must say that 'Because this is my first life' was the best 2017 drama for me so far.
The cliffhangers started from day 1 and this is one of the reasons to be so excited for this series. Waiting for the next episodes was really a pain.
What I found so special about this drama were the characters on the first place. Se Hee was such an unordinary person and even though I thought Ji Ho was kinda annoying in the beginning, I just couldn't help but love her as the time passed. Really enjoyed the script writer's work. Almost every episode had those lines, full of metaphors that really make you question your whole existance. I also loved the secondary couples and even though in most drama they're just a waste of time, here they were just as interesting as the main one.
What I found lacking was that there wasn't much of explanation about Se Hee's past, which played a quite a big role this drama. On the other hand I think they could make the ending episodes a little more dramatic and emotional.
Overall if you are looking for something light-hearted, funny and with some good acting, this is perfect for you!
Hope this was helpful and sorry for the mistakes <3

Elle
Starting this drama, I had no expectations.  I didn’t think the Contract Marriage Premise could stand in 2017; I was wrong.  Lee Min Ki and Jung Soo Min did such an amazing job bringing Nam Se Hee and Yoon Ji Ho to life.  From the first episodes, they share such a sweet and tender understanding for each other.  Nam Se Hee is such a deep and thoughtful character, but has a bit of an odd outlook on life.  Lee Min Ki’s portrayal of such a quirky character is so heartwarming.  He really delivers on a whole new level.  His monologues throughout the drama are so deep and evocative.

Along with the development of the lead characters, the supporting characters have fairly unique and memorable character arcs.  Aside from the contract relationship premise, Because This is My First Life also tries to tackle the three modern day females with different perspectives setup.  This drama does this very well.  The roles of Woo Su Ji and Yang Ho Rang are able to share in some very poignant moments throughout the drama.  I enjoyed how the portrayal of these female characters provided a commentary of the modern day woman and the challenges that she faces from day to day.

Personally, this was one of my favorite dramas this year.  It was just pure perfection from start to end.  It astutely created characters that had special circumstances, but were still entirely relatable.  A feat not many dramas can aptly pull-off.  I can’t recommend this one enough!

Carmen Acosta
If you are going to watch this Drama you have to be open-minded. To watch this Drama we need to have our senses alert, we needed to have our heart, our ears and mind very open. You have to be prepare to read each word, each line carefully because if you don’t you can miss many things.
This is a Drama that could seem a simple one but not. This Drama is warm, depth and intelligent by its own. The writer made many analogies compering things and objects with the life of the characters, she used books, and poems in a magic way.
This Drama is not a melodrama  this is basically a Romance- Comedy drama and the writer and the director made comedy in a very simple an beautiful way.
The characters are nice and lovable , sometimes while watching a Drama we used to say “I can’t stand this or that character” but here each character have their own reason to be how they are or to do what they did. This Drama make you feel a lot and think even about your own life.
I needed to re-watch every episode and each time I did I could understand and see things that I didn’t get the first or the second time I watched and I am sure that if in two months I go back to watch it again I will see things that I didn’t or couldn’t see before. This Drama made me go from laugh to the crying in seconds.
I am sure that when I can’t find any good or interesting Drama to watch I will watch again.
 I have to say that this year I abandoned about 10 different Dramas I tried to watch but I couldn’t, so if you are looking for something interesting, beautiful, well done, well-acted, well directed, well written this is the Drama for you and I have to say that this Drama is not for immature people.

I highly recommend this drama.  It offers a lot of life lessons related to marriage, friendship, love, family and money.

Since I was a huge fan of Kim Min Seok, I always monitor all of his activities. I was anticipating this drama from the start because of him. I didn't care about the other actors at first because all I want  to see is Min Seok.

But after watching the first two episodes, I was hooked with the drama not because of my main reason above instead I was charmed by the main character, Lee Min Ki and So Min. They gave me already the butterflies just witnessing the first two episodes. I loved how weird and mysterious Minki's role which I think perfectly fit him. And how can I resist the sweet stares of his brown eyes? I cannot.  Somin's naive character made their love line much more exciting. Tabooong! What I respect most is that this drama doesn't only focus on the main leads.  You can enjoy watching the two lovey dovey couples who portrayed the bittersweet reality of falling in love.

The story flows smooth with no irrelevant matters involved. It's refreshing and light so you will probably enjoy it 'til the last second.  It has its own charm that will catch your attention or I must say you, as a whole. The OST of this drama will make you cry, laugh and fall in love.

Overall, this is a masterpiece.

Lily
Influenced by all the good reviews 'Because this is My First Life' has been receiving, I decided to try it out, despite it being an out-of-my-comfort-zone Korean drama. Scarred from a past full of disappointing rom-com dramas, as well as a general aversion to the genre in any form, I was more than skeptical to start and more so finish this. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the first half of the show, displaying many cliche-breaking scenes, interesting female characters, and also some well-timed comedy. Around episode 8, things started looking a little down for me - I was tired of the plot-line, I was tired of the main characters playing dumb with each other, and generally just feeling the incoming wave of a generic Korean drama conclusion. For a few moments hereafter, the drama held itself to its previous glory but it ultimately let me down with its final path and ending. By the end, I thought some of the characters were not acting rationally for who they had presented themselves as before, and a few pointless story-lines were introduced and dropped without carrying any type of significance.

But most of all, this drama really disappointed me with its visual arrangement cliches. At some points, I found myself really irritated with the almost outdated cinematography of filming an actor while they stay still with eyes wide open, showing each character talking, or showcasing each time a character is reminiscing in flashback format. Ugh. After watching Western shows, such as Mr Robot or True Detective, I really wish Korean dramas would be a bit more experimental with their formats (though I am aware that they are dumbed down on purpose, since the general public that is watching them on TV may not be paying attention throughout the whole episode - still bad film-making). Same thing for the OST - it's the same as every other drama without any real standouts. Big disappointment for me, but I will continue to search for visually appealing dramas (aside from visually appealing scenes/sceneries, which were abundant here)

Despite all this, I recommend giving 'Because this is My First Life' a try, if not for the strong initial half, than for the tackling of some social issues Koreans face and tend to not really talk about on television.