The website is currently undergoing maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Go Back Couple

• Drama: Go Back Couple
  • Country: South Korea
  • Aired On: Friday, Saturday
  • Network: KBS2
  • Duration: 1 hr. 10 min.
  • Genres: Romance, School, Drama, Family, Supernatural
  • Tags: Time Travel
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 4,176
AnanyaS
Go Back Couple can be considered a beautiful example of how you can take a not-so-unique premise, and still be able to make it into an amazingly heart-touching drama.

Let me tell you why you shouldn't shelf this drama aside as 'yet another time traveling drama'

- The series focuses on our main leads, who have been married for 14 years and are getting divorced. It stresses on the fact that marriage is not simply the happy ending, as it's normally shown in dramas. Throughout the whole show, little by little, we get to see what it was that went wrong with our OTP in the first place. The drama portrays the painful reality of marriage.

- Going back in time to change one's past mistake might not appear to be a fresh idea for a drama. But believe me when I say this, that the execution is simply top-notch. This drama hits all the right notes for the viewers. This drama explores the question of If you could go back, back to the time before it all started, what would you do? Would you make the same decisions you made before? Or would you do something you didn't get to do before?

- This drama is just so beautifully realistic in it's approach. Whether it's the flashback scenes or back to the time 1999 scenes, every struggle, every problem, every situation that our leads face is handled in such a realistic way, that it's hard not to appreciate that.

- This drama is going to play with your emotions. And I mean this in the best way. One second, it'll make you laugh out loud. And the next, it'll have you tearing up. Specially the scenes of Seo Jin and Jin Joo with her mom will have you crying out loud. So better prepare some tissues, 'cause you're going to bawl your eyes out in every episode.

- The second lead syndrome is really strong in this one, there's no denying this. The first few episodes, (or in some cases, maybe throughout the whole drama) you're going to ship the leads with the second leads. Specially Nam Gil sunbae. He's simply...perfect. He's cute, kind, funny and well, always there for our lead girl. It's impossible not to fall for this guy.

- One of the best things about this drama, and one that I really loved is the narration by Ban Do & Jin Joo at the opening and ending scenes of every episode. I love how they start with something painfully honest, and end with something hopeful.

- Instead of asking yourself what does this drama has to offer you, question what doesn't it has to offer you. My answer- Nothing! Yup. Might sound unbelievable, but it's true. And you'll realize it too. This drama has everything from comedy, romance, friendship to slice-of-life and nostalgia. Every genre is balanced  enough to give viewers an unforgettable watch.

- The OST is just beautiful and melodious. I have had plenty of dramas where I liked or even loved the OST, but this is one of the few rare dramas where I was moved by the songs. They are just so good and so fitting. My personal favorites being 'Dream' by Lucia & 'Wind Song' by Sohyang.

After reading my review, you might think I overused the word 'beautiful', but honestly, that's the only word I can describe this drama with. It's beautiful. It's heartwarminlgly and hearwrenchingly beautiful. So I sincerely hope that you give this drama a chance.Happy Watching!!

Oni
I’m absolutely loving this drama! Let’s start with the story. The story is beautiful written, thou it’s not perfect but in every episode, I can see what’s the writer trying to convey, and for almost every married couple out there, it hits right home. The main aspect of the story is how to find the almost forgotten love that demised by hard reality, but the love between Jin Joo and her mother made me bawling my eyes.. T____T  The story also made me reflect how I treated my parents after I married, how to cherish what you have, count your blessing, and appreciate your partner. The balance of comedy, romance, even touching scene almost too perfect.. after crying my heart out, I laughed almost as hard because Dok Jae and Jae Woo! Dok Jae you are such scene stellar!

The cast is perfect! The character of second lead is almost too perfect even I was secretly hoping that Jin Joo will end up with Nam Gil..

The music is spot on.. the rewatch value is also record high for me.. even I will rewatch it again after I finish writing review.

I can say this is one of the most enjoyable drama ever.. the problem with it, I think the SLS is too hard..

Thevilone
If you think that it’s a just another time travel drama, then you are wrong. It’s not. It’s heartwarming and heart wrenching with loads of feelings, comedy and moments that will make you sworn.
And this is a drama with a serious case of 2nd  lead syndrome. So be warmed, your heart will ache.

The story is very simple. Unhappy couple, goes back in time and tries not to fall for each other again. See, simple.
NOT.
In every episode it goes deep into long term relationships and how it works. It focus how we ignore the simplest things, how we take things for granted that in long term it doesn’t even exits for us. And how the things we do, the miscommunication affects a relationship.
It’s beautifully written and thought out story. And very, very pleasing for the eyes.
I think in every episode I probably said that ‘it’s my favorite episode.’ There are moments that will make you bust out in laughter. And then there moments with Seo Jin and Jin Joo’s mother to cry your eyes out.

The cast was lovely.
I thing Jang Na Ra was perfect to play the Aajuma and 20 year old. She has the perfect face for it.
Jang Ki Yong was my favorite of all. I’m not gonna lie form the moment he was on screen I was all over him. He, with his perfect little shy smiles and glances made it hard for not to fall for him. I think I was rooting for him the entire time.
Son Ho Jun, sorry mate Jang Ki Yong stole your thunder. But I loved the way he played Ban Do. In the end we could see the character growth.

Love the OST, there are beautiful. But I’m hopelessly in love with ‘Confession’ by Choi Nakta.

Rewatch value…10/10.
There is nothing to say actually. It’s just a beautiful experience to have to go through a drama . And it makes you greatful for having love in your life. And being forever single I can tell you that, love and being in a relationship with a person who you love and who loves you in return is a great thing. And this drama teaches that.
So do give it a try. Please give it a try!

kingsqueen
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I went into watching this show, but I'm sure that I wasn't expecting my heart to be touched so much by it. It seems like nearly every episode turned on the waterworks for me, but there were laughs as well.
The cast is outstanding - Jang Na Ra never fails to illicit an emotional response from me. And Kim Mi Kyung is always an excellent addition to the cast. I loved her in this. Son Ho Jun, even though I've only seen him in Reply 1994 before, completely impressed me also. The side characters were well used and also cast well.

For me, this show was very nearly perfect. I could see myself rewatching this very easily.
Be prepared with a couple of tissues for this one, but I know you won't regret watching it!

Potatas
This drama is just okay and it's worth a try as it's not entirely bad but not great either. This drama I guess tried to portray the diminishing love between a married couple and thru time travel, they find their lost love. This drama is quite balanced as it contained comedy, romance, family, supernatural and friendship genre. So if you're looking for something light to watch then give this drama a try. But mind you, if you're looking for heavy rom-com then this might not be for you.

This is quite tough for me to review as it was just an okay drama. If you liked Emergency Couple (as I did lol), then this drama might be worth a try.  They're similar in way that the couple is on the ''brink'' of a divorce, couple just had enough of each other; Bickering here and there blah blah blah.

This drama is not so cliche but it just didn't leave me a good enough impression (aka it did not deliver as much OMG or OMOOOOO factor throughout the whole series).  At first it was quite interesting and thus made me wanna look forward to new episodes per week. But halfway through the series, the story became too predictable and made me didn't wanna look forward anymore. In a way, although this show is relatively short with only 12 episodes in total, I still felt that the story was dragged on way too long.

I give this drama an overall score of 7.5/10 as it delivered some good life lessons (i.e treat your parents and partners with all the love you can give while you can), it had really cute OST's and OMG a really cute and lovable 2nd lead!!! I think I only really continued watching the show just because of the 2nd male lead and of course, his bickering with the male lead. Reason why I give this a 7.5 and not an 8 or 8.5 is because, I did not feel the chemistry between the main leads. I felt more of that spark between the 2nd male lead and and female lead, tbh. Also, I felt like the plot is quite lacking in a sense whereby, there was no enough content.

manicmuse
This is a drama that I did not expect to like based on the synopsis. The story seems extremely cliché on paper... an unhappy married couple gets to unexpectedly go back in time to when they met. I expected a cheesy RomCom with a retro time travel twist preaching against divorce, but instead was tricked into an emotional story about the realities of growing up, regrets, and appreciating what you have. This is a drama with a lot of laughter, but I also shed a lot of tears. The amazing cast also makes the story really hit home.

I really liked the main couple. I'm not familiar with Son Ho Jun's acting, but I'm a fan of Jang Na Ra (Hello Monster, and Fated to Love You), and I think they were a good match. The script calls for a lot more melodrama than cuteness between the two of them, but I definitely believed them as a couple, and got invested in their relationship pretty quickly. There's a sense of intimacy between the two of them that is really believable. Jang Ki Yong however brings on some major second lead feels, and really pulls off being the "older" member of the group, while actually being one of the youngest in the cast. I was very impressed by him, and loved his scenes with Na Ra. I hope to see a lot more from him. I also gained some new appreciation for Jang Na Ra's range, so I want to see a lot more of her dramas too.

The rest of the cast was solid as well. The friendships are awesome! Sometimes they go a little overboard with the immaturity, but it was fun to watch. The retro vibe also makes it fun, especially if you remember the last century well, even if a few of the references went over my head. I cared about every character, and they all had such memorable personalities. The MVP of this drama however is Kim Mi Kyung as Jin Joo's mom, which isn't so surprising based on her awesome career, but her character's storyline ends up being the drama that drives most of the show, and immediately sets the tone that this is more than a silly retro drama. Any fan of hers won't be disappointed, not that she's doing anything particularly new, but she's just so great to watch in general that you get to really appreciate her in this. I was also impressed by her moonwalking skills.

I got hooked on "Go Back Couple" pretty quickly, so I was shocked to see that it only had 12 episodes. Initially I was disappointed by that, but it honestly felt like the perfect length at the end. Although I did think some parts of the ending were a little rushed and contrived,  they did do a good job of satisfyingly wrapping up everything. I like the message overall, and I suspect that making it longer would have just dragged things on unnecessarily.  The episodes are over an hour long, so that does make a difference.  I was never bored, and looked forward to watching each week. It also makes me more likely to rewatch it, and makes it much easier to binge watch.

Maybe I'm biased towards stories about gaining a new perspective on a life, or a relationship, that you wish never happened, or have regrets about, but I highly recommend this one. I will warn anyone that has lost a parent that this may be really tough to watch at times, but there is also a great balance of comedy, and insightfulness, that keeps it from being too depressing. I cried hard, I laughed out loud, I got in my feelings about life, so I consider this a drama success.  This is the kind of well rounded drama that I don't think you will have any regrets watching.

SungYeon
Nov 12, 2017
I'll make it short. The acting cast & story is amazing. The story takes place in 1999 &  gives you the retro vibe. I was more focused in the actual script than the couples love story.
I like how the story start up with an  average life & suddenly change it's flow.
Haha did I mention that second lead syndrome is strong here! The ships kept changing & that makes the story more interesting. As a 21 century human being, this series was a whole new experience for me. I was introduced [old] new things that I didn't know before.
I won't write any spoiler. Watch the dram if you like retro.
Happy watching!

anopinion
Go Back Couple is the best drama of 2017 for me. I went in with low expectations on this one, since I've read (part of) the webtoon it is based on and I thought it was awful. However, the drama manage to elevate what I consider an extremely mediocre source material into a masterpiece, and I'll have to credit both the director and the writer for producing such a wonderful piece of work. Also, all the actors did extremely well in this drama, with our two main leads putting in absolutely heart-breaking performances. Unfortunately, compared to the hype it received in South Korea, the drama didn't have exceptional ratings. It is also a little underrated in the international community.

Go Back Couple is not a drama about romance. I know that there is fervent shipping going on, but that is not the focus of the drama. Through the (unintentional) mistakes made by Jin-ju and Ban-do and their consequent regrets, the drama relays messages and lessons to us viewers about the importance of relationships and communication. It was never about whom Jin-ju will end up with, but about how they went back and became better and more understanding persons. More so than the romance, the part which tugged at my heartstrings the most was the recurring theme of parental love. The relationship between Jin-ju and her mother is extraordinary. I cannot remember the last time I cried watching a drama, not to mention the last time I cried so much watching a drama. Kim Mi-kyung and Jang Nara have exceptional mother-and-daughter chemistry. Of course, their brilliant acting also played a part.

On to acting, I must first applaud Son Ho-jun for his breakout performance. Haitai was my favourite character in Reply 94 (which I did not finish), but Son Ho-jun didn't have great luck with his subsequent projects. His character in Blow Breeze was so bland and his acting so stoic that my first reaction to his casting was "oh no". Alas, I was absolutely wrong. He was fabulous as Choi Ban-do. Many Korean netizens have commented that this character would have been ruined if it was portrayed by another actor and I do agree. I think he has the right blend of comedy and melancholy in him, especially with his soulful eyes. Next up is Jang Nara. I'm a huge fan of Jang Nara, so I'm accustomed to her acting style already. She really impressed as Ma Jin-ju though. She's well-known for being the romcom queen, but I feel she excels the most when it comes to emotional acting (still great in comedy though). Besides, the two of them have excellent chemistry (Jang Nara seems to have sparks with everyone she's act with). The two of them (and Kim Mi-kyung) made me bawl my eyes out at their scenes together. The actor who gained the most from his appearance though, is Jang Gi-yong. I think he was great as a greenhorn, and he managed his expressions really well. I'm only slightly disappointed at the scene where he's supposed to stare at Jang Nara's character lovingly, because I really didn't feel the love. Nonetheless, he had a "perfect" character to work with and I think his stock is rising fast.

I don't see big flaws with the production at all. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out on future dramas from the director and the writer. I know that some may have issues with how a certain trope was employed towards the end, but I felt that since the plot point wasn't exactly emphasised on, it didn't negatively affect the quality of the drama as a whole. I'm slightly disappointed with the ending, because I do not believe in second chances and I'm not so sure about the decision that was made on what should be retained from this "vacation". There is a fantastic (the adjective here means fantasy-like, it's not a synonym of awesome) explanation for their trip to the past, which was cute, but it takes away slightly from the realism the drama is all about.

In conclusion, this drama is an outstanding piece of work. It was slickly executed, with awesome directing, writing, and acting. I didn't give it a 10, but my heart is telling me to. I'm still torn about the rating, because there are only two 10s on my list - one is because of nostalgia, and the other because I loved the writing so much. Perhaps in the future I'll change my mind, since dramas on MDL are almost always overrated anyways.

GoldenMak
To die for. Whenever i think of it i get emotional. I cried almost at every episode i watched, the last one i cried much more because there weren't anymore to watch and for the fact they made it a 12 episode drama and not 16. I actually lived with it, i shared the same concerns with the actors and really got inspired by it. I can't believe a drama like that exists, with the right amount of laughs, of embarassment, of jealousy, of romance, of cuteness, .... everything seemed so perfect. I actually agreed with the characters' choices, which is not usual since i fell in love with the second male-lead (as i have the second male-lead syndrome) , but it was so weird for meto actually agree with the writer and bring the two leads together . It had a great ending, totally perfect. I'm still hoping for a second season everyone.

Alex
This is my first time writing a review for a drama here. I can't help myself but this drama is so urggh. Words can't even describe it. I ASOLUTELY LOVE IT! The acting, whenever Jang Nara cries, I cry too. I loved her since I watched Fated To Love You. The main actor is also not bad, he also made me cry. I love actors who make me cry.  Their OST is also perfect, although I won't be downloading them since most of them are sad, but they fit the drama perfectly. I love how they portrayed their characters. WANJEON PERFECT!! Besides we are all just humans with flaws. This drama made me think about how I should treat friends and how I should live my life. This show also made me have the second lead syndrome. Out of all the dramas I've watched, this was the first time that I was rooting for the second lead!!! (But Son Ho Jun got me in the end <3) My rewatch value score is low because I don't think my heart can handle the drama again! Definitely recommending this if you want a drama that will touch your soul!!

earthna
I didn't have much expectations for Go Back Couple when I started watching it. Jang Nara never disappoints and I was excited to see Son Hojoon in his first lead role. But wow, this was a really good watch,

It was satisfying all throughout. Tied up really nicely. All my questions were answered, all in just 12 episodes. Amazing!

I love how it not only focused on the leads' relationship but also their surroundings and how each of them affects everyone.

NO TOXIC CHARACTERS. NO ANNOYING LOVE TRIANGLES!

This drama will be remembered for a  long time. I love you, Go Back Couple!

I  was very pleased with "Go Back Couple" when I watched the first episode  and it was a lot of fun I had no doubt that it would keep at that  pleasant pace. I was impressed by the cute couple's performance, however there are  some silly mistakes in the scenario, as I thought Jung Yong Hwa needs to  improve his performance, nothing against, but not convinced me.
The  story was cute, talks about a 14-year-old couple who has a beautiful  son named Seo Jin, due to several reasons why they end up getting  divorced, after ending their divorce, they wake up the next morning in  the year 1990. Yes, it's  about time travel, half a cliché, or should I say feeling the moment,  after all, only this year we had others ... The plot itself was not so  impressive, it had a similar but darker, emotional and overwhelming  plot. In  short, the first episode presents us the disorderly life that the  couple is living, they are miserable, Jin Joo is stuck with his little  child who demands attention and care all the time, on top of what his  loser husband does not even bother to look at for her or help her. After  the plot follows the orderly course of things, the drama is a pleasant  and enjoyable drama to watch, but it can turn into something repetitive  in the future as well as its end not at all surprising.