Discovery of Romance

• Country: South Korea
  • Aired: Aug 18, 2014 - Oct 7, 2014
  • Aired On: Monday, Tuesday
  • Network: KBS2
  • Duration: 1 hr. 10 min.
  • Genres: Comedy, Romance, Drama
  • Tags: Love Triangle
  • Rating: 15+ - Teens 15 or older

Aryael
Oct 8, 2014
Story: This drama explores the question "What happens if you meet your ex when you are in a steady relationship with another and your ex wants you back?" There is a lot of frustration as the audience is treated to the pendulum nature of the lead female's psyche. On one hand, she is tempted and on another she is committed to her current relationship. Shall she choose responsibility and commitment over passion and attraction? Who will she end up in the end? If you are curious, then watch this drama. This drama will leave you thinking about the reality of relationships and I am sure, for all of you who have been in relationships before (and ended it), you can relate to one or two things portrayed in this drama. I also like how between scenes, the main characters were filmed in an interview format to allow the audience to see the scenes and situations from the character's perspective; a bit of "she said" versus "he said" versus "they said" situation.

Acting/Cast: Mature and experienced actors and actresses. Side characters are very entertaining and they have their own little love stories to add into the story as well. I am not a fan of any of the actors or actresses in this drama, but I'll make a special mention for Eric (as Kang Tae Ha) and Yoon Hyun-Min (as Do Joon Ho). Eric showed a relaxed and natural form of acting. He had totally embraced and live the character he was given. One would even ask, is this his true character in real life that he is so comfortable and natural in portraying Kang Tae Ha? Yoon Hyun-Min as Dr. Do Joon Ho was hilarious, serious, smart and very much caught-in-between. Someone give this guy the main lead character in a romantic comedy already! I am sure he will do well in it!

Music: Nice but forget-able.

Rewatch value: This is a drama made to be watched once. You'll like it (but not adore it) and you'll move on from it. If you have nothing fantastic on your plate at the moment and do not mind watching romance drama depicting realistic struggles of dating relationships, you might want to make a time for this drama.

purplenette
Oct 8, 2014
DOR is overall a very realistic approach to love. The interviews tied in nicely with the direct attitude that the director and the writer were taking as they explored dating and romance. It is refreshingly different drama. I admit there were times when I felt that the characters were playing too many games (around episode 8) and that is why I gave it a lower score. I think it is perfectly reasonablee for a person to be in love with one person and then someone that they cared deeply from the past come and shake things up. I like Yeo Reum'smother basically told her to live and love for herself. Some people think that is selfish, but if a person dooesnt do that, then they just make themselves and everyone around them miserable. Also, if a person is in a relationship where he/she is afraid to be his/herself because they think the other person will break up, then that relationship is doomed from the start. Romance is all sweet and fun at first, but if a person wants it to last, then all the ugly needs to come with it eventually.

Jun Yu Mi was perfect as the cute and flawed Han Yeo Reum. I like that she tried so hard to do what she thought was right. Eric Mun is exceptional as Kang Tae Ha. I had no idea he is such a good actor. He can kiss and is totally hot so he being a good actor is a plus. Sung Joon is one of my favorite actors. I have seen all of his dramas except I Need Romance 3. He does not fail to deliver as Nam Ha Jin. Thee other actors are good too.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Yoo Ah In is the last episode. Whoop Whoop

The music is really good.

If you would like to watch a more realistic drama on love, then I recommend this one.

Lyn
Oct 8, 2014
This was my very first time watching a Korean drama as it was airing. And I am SO glad this was my first, because it was amazing. It was, however, torture waiting for new episodes every week. I would constantly check and refresh my Dramafever looking for the new episodes.

I have a love-hate relationship with every one of these characters. And you know what, I kind of love it. Characters are supposed to have us believing that they are real people. And what's more real than people who aren't always perfect?

Yeo Reum is just a girl, standing in front of TWO boys, asking them BOTH to love her. And she kind of falls for both of them. But have you seen them?! I mean, who wouldn't fall for them both? Tae Ha is her ex-boyfriend and first love who tries to win her back and can be a jerk, but he has his reasons. Ha Jin is her current boyfriend who lies to her way too often, but he has his reasons too. The chemistry between both couples is so believable, but the tortured love between Tae Ha and Yeo Reum is off the charts, as is the tension between rivals Tae Ha and Ha Jin. That's where a lot of the intensity of this show exists.

I've never seen characters in a show that feel as real and alive as these. Their actions and motivations are so fully realized. Before the final two episodes aired, I went back and watched the entire previous 14 episodes again. As I rewatched, I realized that even at the very beginning the characters reveal so much, sometimes just subconsciously, about why they're doing what they're doing. Things that I wouldn't and couldn't have noticed the first time around. That is a real victory for the writers. I really loved how we learned and explored little bits and pieces of each characters psyche in one episode, then learned a little more in the next and even more in the one after that.

I'm in awe of the realism displayed by each character. They each have weaknesses and strengths. They all have flaws, flaws... and more flaws. They might not behave they way you think they should or even how they themselves think they should, but that's what makes them feel so real. I almost refuse to believe that these individuals don't exist somewhere in Korea. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was someone's real story. That would also have some parallels with what happens in the last episode.

Even though I loved that my dream OTP got together, I kind of wished that they hadn't thrown in the whole Magic Year cliche. I wanted things to resolve right away. It seems like the tension would have been higher if that had been the case. Because it seems like nearly everything that happened could have believably happened immediately. But I am very happy with how things turned out, for all the characters.

Also, could Joon Ho and Sol BE any cuter?! Gah. I love them so much. I would definitely be down for a spin-off starring those two.

This show is definitely one for the ages. There are so many moments that I'll never forget. But if I do forget any, I will have absolutely zero qualms about watching this again. And I am not usually a rewatcher. Only my favorites get rewatches. This will go down as an all-time fav for me. But for now... Moving on to watch Que Sera Sera!

Jo Y
Sep 25, 2015
I never gave a drama full points but I feel like this one deserves it.

It's my first drama with Jung Yu Mi but I love her ever since. The characters were so real that you get drawn into their story immediately.

I was definitely Team Tae Ha from beginning to the end and I enjoyed watching their relationship develop wayyy too much.

Sung Joon is a real gentleman in this drama, you cannot not love him though I still preferred Tae Ha for Yeo Reum hehe

I feel like this is a more mature love story.. not too cliche and cheesy.

and OH GOD THE OST! Sooo beautiful and fitting to the story.

Would rewatch it right now if I had the time.

Zoe
Jan 6, 2016
This show reminded me of Marriage Not Dating because it talks more about dating relationships and less about hard-work, chaebols and responsibilities. Similar to MND, I like the casual vibe that the drama has. I really like the feel of it. It even has the same weird sound effects like knives sharpening when there's a confrontational moment.
I've never watched a mockumentary but I imagine this is what it's like. It's weird, but I like it for a change in pacing and to hear them air their feelings instead of having to stare longingly at each other.
The humour and the jabs at each other, I think, are much more Western. Also, each of the main characters has an older friend that they have no deference for which added to the more Western feel.
The drama is both wistful and edgy, a great combination. I like that it's not so fully padded with music like most dramas. Sometimes the cueing of the soundtrack in other dramas is annoying because it sort of forces the viewer to interpret a scene in a particular way.
Most of the big secrets in this drama stay secret for most of the episodes, and that's hella annoying.

Romance
This is second-chance romance done right. I like the maturity of it and how the characters got to explore what went wrong and view their growth as individuals and as a couple.
It's also got some really happy and cute moments that just made me feel really good. I like seeing people happy and in love.
There is heaps of kissing and skinship and fade-to-black bed moments.

Love Triangle
Yeo Reum's a pretty cool girl. I could see why the dudes liked her. I'd totally date her.
Yeo Reum and Ha Jin have a nice relationship. I like that. They are a couple I could really root for.
I think it's also a nice set-up to have a misunderstanding between Ha Jin and Tae Ha so that neither of them are the bad guy.

Ha Jin
“I don't quite understand...but I don't love with my head. I just...decided to trust her. Since I love her.”
This guy is so cool. First, his voice is to die for. And he says the kindest kindest things that are just too good for someone who's been lied to and possibly cheated on. He loves unconditionally even when he's been kicked and stabbed in the back.
He has some amazing, swoonworthy, marry-me-now, lines. I've come across plenty of Kdrama heroes that I've adored but I have literally never wanted to have someone in my life like I want Ha Jin.
I'm a little surprised that even though Yeo Reum is in the wrong, Ha Jin goes so easy on her. He actually goes easy on other people too. He is a painfully nice guy but he's definitely not a pushover either.
He also has such an epic smug face.

Yeo Reum
She's more of a modern girl. This I like. Even though she's more on the selfish side, it's always good to see someone who's more proactive in their life. I like that she takes charge. She is both cutesy and bug-eyed and a menace at the same time. It's great. I think these Kdramas are skewering my morals because I'll transfer my self-righteous feminism onto the next heroine even if she's really bad as long as she stands up for herself regardless if she's right or wrong.
Her independent nature shines through because she doesn't want to get married without being able to financially support herself.
Yeo Reum's confidence knows no bounds and she's steadfastly self-assured. While I've described some heroines in that way, she really takes the cake. Nothing shakes her.
I like that this drama has the feel of a rom-com but Yeo Reum is a competent and professional business woman right from the get-go.

Supporting characters
I loved Joon Ho and Sol. They're so great. The way they play advocate for Ha Jin and Yeo Reum and get involved in the powerplay of the relationship is so hilarious. They're on the sidelines giving advice, making judgment calls and giving their opinion.

Joon Ho
This guy is definitely one of the best secondary characters ever. I loved his personality. How he's a bit showy but all heart and how he works so hard to keep his friends happy. He always made me laugh with his dedication and the way he'd constantly get caught in the middle of his pals' domestics as he tries to protect everyone. His loyalty to Sol is great even though it's not always smart. He's a real oppa and he takes care of Yeo Reum too.

Sol
Sol is AWESOME. I've liked this actress since seeing her in Flower Boy Next Door. She's even better here and gets more screen time. Sol is my new favourite. She is probably the one person that can pull off the cutesy voice. Her relationship with Joon Ho is so much fun and they're just like brothers and sisters.
Sol is such a fun personality and so so so cute. But she doesn't just specialise in the laughs. I feel every emotion with her as she goes through heartbreak and everything.
She is also incredibly loyal and sweet. And I want her as my best friend.

Tae Ha
Tae Ha has a lot of regret. When he runs into Yeo Reum again he is totally hung up on her.
When Yeo Reum starts being nice to him again, his giddy delight is so cute.
Also, depressed Tae Ha is really funny.
The important thing about Tae Ha is that he doesn't baby her. Rather, he'd prefer to spend his energy in achieving things that she wants to do.

Elders
I was pleased to see different actors for the mothers in this drama instead of the same old ones every time. I like that instead of owning a restaurant like all Korean mother's do, Yeo Reum's mother works an office job.

Ah Rim
I feel bad, but she was a really annoying character.

Ending
The final episode is fine. But it kind of doesn't address everything that I hoped it would. It doesn't seem to serve the purpose of a finale that summarises what the drama was about. The drama touches on a lot of things about dating relationships and I felt like it tried out here and there but never committed to a solid theme like I was expecting and hoping for.

BAsfaw
Oct 8, 2014
Drama started off strong and enjoyable but fell flat in the middle and then completely bombed in the end. There was a lot of potential for the story of meeting an ex and seeing how and where the old relationship went wrong but this took a messy route that left me not rooting for the main couple. The most enjoyable part of the drama were side characters they were funny, cute, and lovable.
purplebass
Nov 7, 2014
I started this drama because of a subbing project. I was a bit debating whether or not starting this after I read the mixed reviews abouts its ending, but I was glad I watched it.

Story: This drama is your usual romcom drama. It has a very US tvshow feel because the audience is lead to discover stuff about the main leads' past very slow. The stories also have a realistic pace, unlike some dramas where the main leads fall in love or kiss each other after four or five episodes but you don't understand where their attraction came from, making that romantic side of the story not much believable. Thankfully, DOR's story, which was realistic yet very simple, tried to explore how two people behave in a relationship and what happens when you meet your ex again and the inners dilemmas and issues of men and women of our modern society go through and not the stereotypical storylines of kdramas. This drama was alright and while I watched I felt myself agreeing or getting mad at the characters as if they were real and not fictional. When a drama makes me feel something, whether it be a bad or a good feeling, it's a good thing. In this the drama didn't fail, but I would have loved more mystery and intrigues - guess I'm asking too much from a romantic comedy.

Acting/Cast: I came to watch this drama not only for what I mentioned above, but also because I had liked Sung Joon on "I Need Romance 3", which had the same writer of this drama, I think. I didn't know Eric nor Yu Mi, and I was pleased to see them acting together because they have great chemistry. I rooted for them from beginning to the end because compared to Sung Joon and Yu Mi, I felt more for that couple and it was the exact kind of couple I look for on a romcom. Speaking about SJ again, I think despite he's younger compared to the other two, he has nice chemistry with noonas, but it's not yet perfected so I hope he will improve that in the future. Everyone acted believable portrayals and they really felt like true characters to me, as if I knew them in real life. The side characters were good as well. Han Yeo Reum's friends were funny and they made a cute couple.

Music: It was cute but honestly, I already forgot about it. I like that there were a couple of english songs put there casually, like in the last episode.

Rewatch Value: Well, despite I enjoyed this, I don't think I would watch it again for the moment. It's a light drama, but very predictable, so one could be bored if they know the story already, since it's not that big of a story.

Overall: I would give a 7+ to this drama. If the story had been deeper, perhaps it would have caught more viewers and would have gotten more of my love as well. In general, it was a nice thing to watch to pass the time. If you are looking for something that doesn't require too much attention and you loved the "I Need Romance" series, then this is perfect for you.

ShEy
Jun 18, 2015
Watching this drama is like finding a specific place that you've never been using a map for hours. The direction and road are complicated and confusing but you'll feel a sense of relief and will have a smile on your face when you reach you destination. I dropped this for a couple of days at episode 7 because of the confusion but then I gave it another shot and it's worth it.

I gave a 10 for the cast because of so many tears they shed during the drama. The comedic supporting roles which I find cuter than the lead's chemistry. Lastly, I hated the female lead because of the confusion she created which greatly affected me (that means she's a great actress).

Te music was able to support the scenes and characters.

Mivaaa
Jan 25, 2015
I can't believe how close it was that I didn't watch this drama. Why? It's not my first choice story wise. I've never liked the dramas where the love triangle is the main focus of the show. However this show changed that. Even tho the main focus was the love triangle between the three main characters, the story had so much other good thing going for it that made me enjoy it. The story is just a small part to why the show is a good watch. Firstly the cast and characters. When saying this I come to think about a discussion I stumbled upon while watching. One comment in particular said that the thing that was so lovable with the show was that there were no typical bad person. A person that where there solely for the audience to hate, like so many other kdramas tend to have. Instead the show went with the less popular alternative in actually making the characters more realistic and human by making them all have flaws and good qualities. Thereafter you, as the watcher, get to decided whether or not you like them.
Giving an example, I really liked the headstrong, independent and determined personality of Yeo Reum, but at some points I found other sides of her to be annoying, like how she seemed to confused and didn't think about her own happiness. But in the end she stayed one of the more likeable characters for me. The other two main leads can we talk about for along time but I will make it short. I think that either you come to like one of them a little more. Personally I liked Tae Ha more than Ha Jin. Reasons being that however much he loved her he also thought about her goals and hopes. Meanwhile Ha Jin came across a little blind and seemed to turn away. Others may not get these feelings but that is my own opinion.
The supporting cast was wonderul at times but at other times really make my blood boil (I'm looking at you Joon Ho). But it doesn't make the show bad, instead makes it more realistic. And really if I was to say my favorite supporting characters I would say, without hesitation, Joon Ho and Sol. I don't care so much for their independent love stories, but as the supporters to our three ( cough* one) main characters I really loved them.
The music, tho good, could at times feel foregettable and I found myself not even listening to it, and I do listen when I find the music to be just as emotional, happy or exciting as the scene itself. Of courses looking back I have actually found some scores to be quite good.

Lastly, the reason for the low re watch score is easy to answer for me. As I said before, this isn't my typical choice for a show. The whole love triangle, tho not the reason for me watching it til the end, was still there and I still didn't have the real interest in seeing it fully. I loved the parts that had comedy and heartwarming moments between Yeo Reum and her friends or Tae Ha, but the scenes with Ha Jin and the other girl wasn't really anything, neither was the parts where it was tense and confuseing. However theses feelings were there because I didn't have enough like nor interest in this type of storyline. If you do like heavy love triangles then this show will definitely be a really good match. For me it was a good watch but there's so many other good shows out there that I'd rather see one more time.

I'm happy that I came around to watch it, I started out che sera sera but I've still not watched it til the end. I loved the actor and actress in it tho and I'm happy to have seen another drama with them and their romance. Sadly I now believe that I never will be able to finish Che sere sera, the difference in Eric here and is CSS is to big, and Tae Ha is really likeable.
Anyhow, I really recommend this drama to you love triangle lovers out there, and also to you like me that has less of an interest in it, it's a good show either way.

Titeeth
Dec 30, 2015
Discovery of Romance ... is full of real feelings made into a (little obvious) story.

I have to say I REALLY ENJOYED this drama... The story made me curious episode by episode I was really wondering how it would turn out, which choices would they make, how would things go!!?
The story was clear and easy to follow. It unloaded the plot little by little, keeping you
alert and eager to know and discover~

As for the acting. I'd say DOR was an eye opener for me on Eric, which made a FANTASTIC job in his acting. His character is strong and weak at the same time... He really hit me! Sung Joon was a bit limp, compared to what he made me used to ^^ YoMi, as far as it concerns my experience, has the same kind of role which fits her well... And finally Hyun Min and Seul Gi are just *amazing* as usual !!

I STRONGLY and FIRMLY recommend this drama :3

Leopard
Jul 4, 2015
The story actually nothing new. And the female lead character got my nerves. But the way writer wrapped the storyline with very 'real dialogues' and quotable lines make this drama special and I could understand why they got big win in KBS drama awards and some other international drama festivals dan BANFF media world class festival.

The actings and chemistry are awesome whether leads or supporting characters. I must say again, Eric is out of case since he delivered his part perfectly in this series whether it comes to cute, tough, jealous, quirky or crying baby scenes.

I like the styles they use in this series. Eric Mun is totally hottie and drool worthy in that 'without suits-CEO' styles. I love all the OSTs too and all of them match with the emotions for each drama scenes. And I love how the writer combined being funny and sad in a very unique ways. I think this is the korean drama that could be called as one of the best romcom.

BullandPear
Oct 22, 2014
Don't lie, people! It could result in a 16-episode drama full of break-ups and make-ups that ultimately could have been avoided with honesty and understanding. Bonus point for Kim Seul Gi, she is fricking fantastic in everything.

My Rating: 7.0

In Short: I somewhat regret watching this drama all the way through. I especially disliked the female lead character and the overall dishonesty of all the main characters. Cuties Yoon Sol and Do Joon Ho was its saving grace.

Pros: The cast was fine, I really like the male leads and the side characters. I liked the flashbacks as a way of getting insight into Tae Ha and Yeo Reum's past, as well as the interview structure.

Cons: This whole plot was built around lies, which annoyed me to no end. I also struggled with Jung Yu Mi's appearance. I don't often dislike the looks of k-drama actresses, but I had serious problems understanding why all these men liked her (character personality was not helping). She looked way too skinny and a little too old in this drama.