what's worse, how do they find tools tiny enough to carve such tiny details into such tiny materials? lol
haha THere's more than one toothpick artist. Here's the Ripley's guy :

Bob Shamey

And this lady does both toothpicks and matches!
I love her stuff.

Linda Master

These two below are her matchsticks.

ladyfaile wrote: what's worse, how do they find tools tiny enough to carve such tiny details into such tiny materials? lol

I think the pencil lead guy said he uses razors and needles.
The toothpick pictures are ridiculous! That's sooooo good! How do people manage to do it and not 1) break/bend the toothpick/matchstick and 2 - paint and carve it so realistically??
Crazy4You wrote: This was my 2nd project in Art III - We had to take a picture and then use a word that would describe it and font that would fit. My teacher didn't really care for my font but I liked it and thought it looked fine haha

This was my final pencil drawing in Art IV - My teacher had wanted us to use pictures of plants or flowers and we would draw and shade them and have 2 areas filled with colored pencil. My first use of colored pencils.

Sorry I had to delete one image it wont let me post three =_=

Wow girl you did that?? I thought you said your skills weren't good :p I love the first one because you did wonderful with light and shadow something that is hard to master. Once you know how to do shadows real good, your drawing looks like a real picture. :)
I love it, you should draw more, that is the basis for an artist.
PinkDiamond wrote: JGS....He's awesome! :)

Okay so I finally get to see master pinky's work!!! awesome, love your style.
You captured the likeness perfectly pinky... love it :D and the way you did his hood is just amazing. I have a hard time with clothes -_-
NinaJade82 wrote: Sorry I had to delete one image it wont let me post three =_=

Wow girl you did that?? I thought you said your skills weren't good :p I love the first one because you did wonderful with light and shadow something that is hard to master. Once you know how to do shadows real good, your drawing looks like a real picture. :)
I love it, you should draw more, that is the basis for an artist.

Haha yes (: And haha they aren't that good :p At least when I compare myself to the other kids that were in my class. My stuff paled in comparison!

And thank you (: I really should draw more, I even have paper, I need to just take a break and start drawing and get back in the habit again. I need to print out some pictures :p

The first picture was like my 4th? or 5th? drawing but probably the first one that really started to look good. I look back at my older stuff and it's just not as good. One thing my one friend told me was that it's true that the other kids in my class were really good at art - but they'd always been good. She pointed out how each one of my drawings/paintings showed improvement. It made me feel a lot better about my stuff (:
and that is such a wise remark from your friend. It is true, what good is there to have the skills if you do not have the ability to improve them, there is no such thing as maximizing your skills in art. Art is free, and is constantly changing, so to improve one's skills is one of the greatest ability an artist could have. I have also improved greatly from 2010 to now, I was no where near where I am at the moment, and still think I need lots of improvement. Like I was telling PD... I suck at doing clothing hahaha... but when is a piece of cloth hanging from somewhere I can be pretty good, so go figure!! LOL
NinaJade82 wrote: and that is such a wise remark from your friend. It is true, what good is there to have the skills if you do not have the ability to improve them, there is no such thing as maximizing your skills in art. Art is free, and is constantly changing, so to improve one's skills is one of the greatest ability an artist could have.
I have also improved greatly from 2010 to now, I was no where near where I am at the moment, and still think I need lots of improvement. Like I was telling PD... I suck at doing clothing hahaha... but when is a piece of cloth hanging from somewhere I can be pretty good, so go figure!! LOL

That's true, that's kind of what she told me (and she's not even in art) - that they'll always be at that level but I have room for improvement.

Haha you're really good where you're at now - imagine your skills even a few years from now - you'll be a pro :p And actually same for me, when I first took up art I was very amateurish, but I kept getting better with each project. I just need to start drawing again, after I graduated I kind of stopped because I didn't have another project or deadline to worry about...haha. And haha clothing is difficult! And fine details - I'm always impressed by people who can draw ornate details on clothing or on other parts of the picture
Me too.. I would love to do some really detailed drawings but so far I can only do sweaters hahaha... I think its all about finding your own style, once you get that down, anything you create will have your signature on it. Even if its not actually signed, when someone knows your work they will be able to identify anything you do. That is what you should work on accomplishing, because even when drawing exactly what you see makes you feel proud of your work, it could never be really called your art, you didn't make it, you just made a copy of a picture. Find your own style, and create things, that would give you lots of confidence. But definitely draw more, if possible every week not to be so harsh and say every day. You can practice with pictures, that's why I like doing fan-art, is a way of gaining skills, but I would never sell it as my art, unless its a request from someone you know what I mean? Another thing you could do is doodles... and that is one of the best ways to practice. Doodling is fun, but it has its trick. I learned that not long ago and it has enhanced my creativity like crazy... I recommend it.
NinaJade82 wrote: Me too.. I would love to do some really detailed drawings but so far I can only do sweaters hahaha... I think its all about finding your own style, once you get that down, anything you create will have your signature on it. Even if its not actually signed, when someone knows your work they will be able to identify anything you do. That is what you should work on accomplishing, because even when drawing exactly what you see makes you feel proud of your work, it could never be really called your art, you didn't make it, you just made a copy of a picture.
Find your own style, and create things, that would give you lots of confidence. But definitely draw more, if possible every week not to be so harsh and say every day. You can practice with pictures, that's why I like doing fan-art, is a way of gaining skills, but I would never sell it as my art, unless its a request from someone you know what I mean? Another thing you could do is doodles... and that is one of the best ways to practice. Doodling is fun, but it has its trick. I learned that not long ago and it has enhanced my creativity like crazy... I recommend it.

Hahaha more than what I can do :p And I think you're right on that. And agreed - it makes me feel good when I look at a picture and then look at my drawing and it matches up, but unless you do something else with it - it's not original.

I definitely do need to draw more, I got out of the habit and need to give myself my own deadlines and practice. And yeah I know what you mean - I'll probably do that sort of thing on my own just to practice drawing and have something I want to draw (: And haha I doodle but I don't even know what I doodle...haha.
wrote: haha I doodle but I don't even know what I doodle...haha.

that is what a doodle is for :p
I sometimes draw characters from mangas ^^

Nakatsu from Hana Kimi

Prince Aram from Meru Puri

Kira and Rei from MARS
I don't have most of the drawings scanned, I'll post them when I scan them...These 3 for the start ^^
Ohh those are really good! :D I love them all, especially the Nakatsu one (biased) :p

I started out drawing manga characters but I haven't in the longest time D: