2018 Watch Challenge Discussion

This discussion has been closed.

I have a quick question. A few months back I had over 50+ dramas and movies. It started to get a bit crowded so I moved them all to my hold list. This made it easier for me to move dramas/movies around between my currently watching list and my on-hold list based on what I was in the mood for. So the dramas/movies that are on-hold (with the exception of one) aren’t really on-hold, they’re there as a placeholder for what I feel like I want to watch next. I know the rule is that you can’t start watching a drama from your on-hold list, but I was wondering if I can.

NightTraveller:

I have a quick question. A few months back I had over 50+ dramas and movies. It started to get a bit crowded so I moved them all to my hold list. This made it easier for me to move dramas/movies around between my currently watching list and my on-hold list based on what I was in the mood for. So the dramas/movies that are on-hold (with the exception of one) aren’t really on-hold, they’re there as a placeholder for what I feel like I want to watch next. I know the rule is that you can’t start watching a drama from your on-hold list, but I was wondering if I can.

It doesn't matter where you have it on your list, organization-wise.  What is important is that you watch the drama or movie all the way through, from beginning to end, during the challenge period.  So if you have something on hold that you started watching this year, you're good.  If you started it last year or whenever, you'd need to rewatch the portion of the drama/movie that you didn't watch in 2018.  Does that make sense?

Edit: also you would need to adjust your start date for your challenge (in your sign up post) based on when you actually started watching the specific things you end up using for the challenge, if you use things from your on hold list that you started this year :)

Got it, thanks.
I signed up a few hours ago. I haven't used anything from my on-hold list yet. So anytime I pick a drama from the on-hold and put it in the currently watching list I would have to change the date on my sign up post? 

NightTraveller:

Got it, thanks.
I signed up a few hours ago. I haven't used anything from my on-hold list yet. So anytime I pick a drama from the on-hold and put it in the currently watching list I would have to change the date on my sign up post? 

I would, just to be fair :)  Hessa calculates the number of days to completion when you finish and post your turn-in form.

zeamays:

I would, just to be fair :)  Hessa calculates the number of days to completion when you finish and post your turn-in form.

Will do. Thanks so much for replying to all of my questions zeamays. 

zeamays:
you'd need to rewatch the portion of the drama/movie that you didn't watch in 2018

i did not know i need to rewatch all the previous episodes!! i thought the hold and dropped categories are the only ones exempted from the 2018 rule. i don't remember which comment that said that though

dramaworld:

i did not know i need to rewatch all the previous episodes!! i thought the hold and dropped categories are the only ones exempted from the 2018 rule. i don't remember which comment that said that though

Don't worry, you wouldn't need to rewatch for those categories!  This was brought up in reference to using dramas from the on hold list, even though they might or might not "officially" be on hold.  It was stated previously that rewatches are okay for any category as long as it's rewatched in full during the challenge period.  And everything but the specific on hold and dropped categories need to be watched entirely during the challenge period.  So it stands to reason that a partial rewatch would be required IF you wanted to use something you already started watching before the challenge period AND you want to use it in one of the other categories.  Right?  I don't know that Hessa ever said one way or another but that's the only way it makes sense to me.  Hessa, would you like to chime in?

So: an on hold drama, simply starting where you left off, in any category EXCEPT the "finish an on hold drama" = would not count (since you only watched part of it during the challenge)

An hold drama, for any category except "finish an on hold drama", and you start over from the beginning = should be okay to use

So yes, the specific on hold and dropped categories would be exempt from any rewatch requirement.  Just pick up where you left off, and no need to rewatch anything.

(I feel like that was unnecessarily complicated, lol.  I just wanted to be clear about what I meant)

Hessa Volunteer Staff

What Zeamays said is correct. The challenge is suppose to be for fun. I don't go over each and every challenge/category you completed, so if you cheat I might not know.

mecchaumai:

How can I easily find a director/actor(ess) that is award winning, and that i would like to watch something from?

If you’re familiar with different Japanese award ceremonies then you can type that into Google along with whatever year you want to watch a drama from. Go to the Wikipedia link and there should be a heading for winners. Once you click on winners there should be various categories and you should be able to see one for best actress/actor and best director. I tend to watch a lot of Korean dramas and that’s how looked them up. 

A second way is to search an actor/director you like and see if they won anything. Hope these two methods help you.  

mecchaumai:

Thank you! I'll do that :). I didn't even think of that haha

You're welcome :)

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Watch something you dropped or start a new drama (you have no restrictions in this case because you did a good job of not dropping anything, jk!!) 

So, I watched a drama with ghosts..does that count as "Watch a drama/movie about Gods, demons, angels, or divine creatures" or "Watch a drama/movie about zombie, vampires, werewolves, aliens, or monsters."..Like, are ghosts monsters?