I think the ajummas in the dramas are sometimes the most realistic thing about dramas (I've lived here 4+ years)
Chocobana wrote: Hahahaa I love that ajumma already :P

So there are ajummas like the ones in dramas. It's unbelievably hilarious.

Keep it coming ~ It's interesting to hear about Korean culture like this.
Wow, fascinating thread, you keep writing I'll keep reading :)
good to see you enjoying your time there. not quite sure what was surprising about the op photo tho, seems very standard to me.
Thank you so much for this thread, it's great! I always want to know what's actually real and what isn't. You have such a great way of telling stories :) Loved the Ahjumma information!
I also spent 6 months living in Seoul recently. I was there as an exchange student, and I stayed over the break. I left in January, but it was a great experience, and I met many interesting people. Feel free to ask me any questions.

PrettyBrown_Eyes wrote: This is exactly what I want to do! I want to get a teaching lincense and teach english all over the world, first stop Seoul!

How did you go about the process?
Are you going to be a permanent Korean citizen? or applying?
If you dont mind me asking, are you american or asian?
And how much korean did you know before moving there?

For starters, you don't need any education credentials to teach English in Korea. Foreign teachers come to Korea on an E-2 visa, which is sponsored by your employer. Your visa is good for one year, and you are bound to that employer through your visa. You want to make sure you end up with a good employer, because it's nearly impossible to switch jobs while on an E-2. I know one woman who was starting her second year as a teacher, but she had to leave the country because her new employer was awful.

You do not need to speak any Korean, although I highly recommend learning as much as you can before and during your stay in the country. Foreign teachers are paired with a Korean teacher to help them out with things, and when you first arrive in the country, you will be dependent on them for a lot of things.

The main requirements for an E-2 visa are that you are a native speaker of English, and you have a Bachelor's degree. White Americans, Canadians, and Britons are the ideal candidates. It's not impossible for non-whites to get a job teaching English, but it is more difficult. Korea is a very homogenous country, and while not hateful, many people are ignorant when it comes to racial or cultural issues. I know some Latino Americans who had a tough time trying to find new jobs. They ended up leaving too.

That said, foreigners of any race will face challenges. You need to keep an open mind, and take things in stride. Don't expect people to be accommodating to your ways. You're in their country. It's not a slight against Korean people, but that's just the way it is. We can already see Korea taking the first steps towards multiculturalism, but it will take many years to ultimately change the way people think about the country and it's inhabitants.
Okay, so your ahjumma landlady sounds like one of the most amazing women ever! i hope when i get there i meet some one as wonderful as her. and i know what you mean about wanting to be an ahjumma, i want to be one too. they are usually my favorite characters in dramas. my question: are they good drivers? i have heard that the restaurant errand boys are crazy drivers on there motorcycle things. (sorry for the vague references, i dont know what they are called. :( )
So, who's the huge jerk who has two thumbs and who started a thread about living in Korea before totally abandoning it and this lovely site for almost two years? THIS JERK! Anyway, I'm back and planning to dive in with any questions and other random posts and my "reviews" and all them good things. I'm still living in Seoul (about to to end year 2; year 3 will start in August), so if anyone is interested in my more personal exploits, feel free to follow my Tumblr: enseoulment.tumblr.com. Looking forward to jumping back into the community!
boredandtwitchy wrote: So, who's the huge jerk who has two thumbs and who started a thread about living in Korea before totally abandoning it and this lovely site for almost two years?

THIS JERK!

Anyway, I'm back and planning to dive in with any questions and other random posts and my "reviews" and all them good things. I'm still living in Seoul (about to to end year 2; year 3 will start in August), so if anyone is interested in my more personal exploits, feel free to follow my Tumblr: enseoulment.tumblr.com.

Looking forward to jumping back into the community!

OMG! Welcome back. :) I'll just lurk for now until I can think of some questions. ^^ I hope to do what you are currently doing once I obtain my Bachelors.
boredandtwitchy wrote: So, who's the huge jerk who has two thumbs and who started a thread about living in Korea before totally abandoning it and this lovely site for almost two years?

THIS JERK!

Anyway, I'm back and planning to dive in with any questions and other random posts and my "reviews" and all them good things. I'm still living in Seoul (about to to end year 2; year 3 will start in August), so if anyone is interested in my more personal exploits, feel free to follow my Tumblr: enseoulment.tumblr.com.

OMO!!!!! WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm squeeing like a fangirl! Must go check the tumblr!
Whatcha been up to? Care to share some highlights?

THIS JERK!

Welcome back!
Jeaniessi wrote: Whatcha been up to? Care to share some highlights?

A quick highlights reel for you!

Due to budget cuts, the majority of foreign English teachers in Seoul middle and high schools were either cut or transferred down to elementary. I fell into the latter camp, and I was both devastated at having to leave my middle schools and terrified at having to deal with children smaller than the average pre-teen. Turns out elementary school isn't so bad, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I did well enough on my evaluations to be signed on for a second year at my current school, a third year with the Seoul Ministry of Education.

On a non-work related note, MEN BE BLOWING UP MY PHONE. And by "blowing up my phone", I mean I've resorted to dating apps for most of my contact with the opposite sex, resulting in 2am love messages of "wanna sex?". I'm dealing with true poets of lurve over here. But, yeah, dating life is healthy, I adore my friends (both foreigners and Korean), and my Korean is coming along nicely. What helps my Korean out best is, of course, soju: a few shots of that, and I'm as fluent as a Korean toddler!

Thanks for the warm welcome back's! Like I said, I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of the MDL things and catching up with people!
LMAO "Wanna sex" bootie calls are universal. Are you aclimating enough to want to stick around for a while? You seem happy. Is living there taking away the joy of watching their television dramas? :)
so have u ever go to the infamous tent to drink soju? hows the experience
"Wanna sex ?" seriously ?! lmaoo I wanna know more about dating in SK, do people act as "pure" as in dramas ? A friend's friend who went there told him that he had a hard time flirting with girls and that they usually are very prudish.