*This is one of the big reasons I have decided to take a break from MDL for the last couple of weeks.*

And until this is fully resolved, I don't see myself coming back to MDL and putting the time and energy into writing new articles when I know it will just be buried under loads of Korean news articles that take maximum 1 hour  to write. I published my first editorial a couple days ago, and just like all the other editorials it spends very few time on the main home page and gets shoved under by all the Korean news articles talking about "so-so getting married" or "new stills for this drama". Seriously? This is looking more and more like Dispatch everyday and I don't think I signed up for that. I'm not the only one feeling this amount of frustration.  I literally have 2 other articles that I'm co-writing with others in the makes but we've put that on hold as well until this gets solved because I don't want to spend a whole week putting my time and effort into this for it to be buried under mounds of Korean news, thank you very much.

I'm hoping this isn't the entirety of the solution because I don't know how slapping a label onto an article "separates" news articles from the rest.  I messaged admin about this around 2 months ago and they said they were working on it. A month later, and this is the solution? I just-...but it's okay I won't be on MDL for a while due to other life requirements so I'm just hoping this fiasco will be solved soon. . .

I also commented very politely on one of the news articles written by that user who has over 80 articles published asking about lessening the news articles to maybe even just 2 a day, and to my shock, admin deleted my comment. So somehow we are allowed to have racist, hateful comments underneath an actor/actresses' page but I can't even post one constructive feedback on someone's article? does someone want to help explain the logic behind this because I don't understand it.

One of the biggest problems is not only how MDL is formatting the articles on the home page but also the writer themselves. I strongly feel that the writer should be approached and maybe asked to lessen the amount of articles they write. (It's starting to feel like they believe MDL is their twitter feed.)  Yes, at the end of the day there is no limit to how many articles one can submit but if its to the point where one or two users are having 5 articles published a day all revolving around Korean entertainment, then yes, a limit definitely needs to be inputted. 

There you have it. My rant that's been a long time coming which I didn't bother to sugarcoat. It's all my opinions if you disagree that's fine. 

allekseu:

Hi, 

Here is my opinion on the matter.

The new article panel is simply far too long. Even worse, it is overloaded with information that should not be there in the first place. What is even the point of this? I am not on Dispatch.

This kind of news is an example of what I want to see, because it is actually something related to the purpose of MyDramaList and that I, the user, will be able to interact with.

I do not wish for MyDramaList to be the first on news, I wish for it to be pertinent, informative and reliable on what it delivers.

Right now, the situation is such that appropriate articles are drowned by tabloid material. Either split relevant shows information and gossip matters into separate tabs, or relegate the latter to the feeds section.

THIS. 

The current articles are what you would usually find in a "At the Noodle Cart" article (here you have some examples: South Korea, Japan, China). Here is my suggestion: we should ask lo_ve  and Old_Anime_Lady (the ones who currently write the news articles) to put all the birth, death, marriage and casting-related news in a Noodle Cart post that can be released every week or month. This way the news articles would still exist, but they wouldn't flood the homepage anymore.

3GGG:
So my new suggestions based on the changes would be as follows:

Change the Editorial Tab to be the landing one of the page. 
 Editorials are the gems of MDL since they are unique to the site --unlike the news which can be found elsewhere (especially if they come from the same source). So show some love to the editorials by giving the new articles a chance to be found by the average user upon arrival (like it used to be before).
Change the algorithm so that the Popular tab shows a list of articles with many hearts (likes), comments, and/or views. That way it really becomes a list of the most popular articles. 
Add a trending tab to find the articles that have the most recent user-engagement. 
There's enough space now to perhaps also add tabs for articles related to China, Japan, Thailand, etc. so those interested in non-K-Drama-centric content can quickly find them.
If news articles are here to stay (which it seems they are), you really need some major quality control and basic rules. 
Have the writer put in a fresh perspective on the news so that the piece becomes unique to MDL (the news should reflect some effort in the writing, at the very least). 
If not, force them to at least do the decent thing and link the source they are copying. After all, they are essentially reaping the benefits of someone else's labor. But, to be honest, without a fresh perspective the news are simply echoes of someone else.
Avoid writing speculative articles that do not benefit anyone. "Actor A in talks to maybe appear on Drama C" is, frankly, irrelevant. And, as already mentioned here, breeds misconceptions and confusion.

I wholeheartedly second this. It's a great solution in my opinion. :)

Luna Skylar:
And until this is fully resolved, I don't see myself coming back to MDL and putting the time and energy into writing new articles when I know it will just be buried under loads of Korean news articles that take maximum 1 day to write. I published my first editorial a couple days ago, and just like all the other editorials it spends very few time on the main home page and gets shoved under by all the Korean news articles talking about "so-so getting married" or "new stills for this drama". Seriously? I'm not the only one feeling this amount of frustration. 

I would actually say those news take less than a day to write. More like a couple minutes. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to "produce" 5 of them per day. Copying + pasting from other sources does not require brain nor effort. 

And yes, I feel your frustration. That's why I also stopped writing on my articles. I had at least 4 articles I wanted to write/submit. Two of them were in the writing process and on one of them I spent more than 1 week of research and work. To see this article being pushed away by the news would be such a pain so I rather not submit it at all. 

Luna Skylar:
I messaged admin about this around a month ago and they said they were working on it. A month later, and this is the solution?

Yeah it makes you rather question the decisions of the admins and their priority when it comes to articles. Quantity over quality? 

Luna Skylar:
I feel that the writer should be approached and maybe asked to lessen the amount of articles they write. (It's starting to feel like they believe MDL is their twitter feed.)

That's exactly what I think as well since the writer does not seem to see the issue in their behavior. 

Foreigner:
Old_Anime_Lady (the ones who currently write the news articles)

OAL was actually writing articles with news summed up in one article (was released every month or so) but I guess she stopped doing so because of the issue lo_ve started and since she suffered from the same problem we all do, that our articles get buried under the load lo_ve submits. 

Admin Ji-N posted the home page redesign update  in the link below.

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/support/49893-release-notes?page=2

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff

As an editor and user, I have a lot to say, but, for now, I just want to clarify that the editors I know and we all know are NOT the ones editing the news articles, especially lo_ve's articles.

We do edit some news articles but they are usually the ones that are not urgent and that can wait for more than a few hours to be published. 

I just want to second Yuanwei's post. The editors I know and I myself are not editing the news posts, except for long ones that, as mentioned, are submitted as normal articles and can wait a few hours or days to be published. We are responsible for editing editorials, reviews, CW articles, general MDL content articles and Ultra Fan Guides.

curious how will this develop... seems like this issue is going to even deepen once another very dedicated user decides to start sharing c-entertainment or thai-entertainment news. seeing how this (more news articles from other countries as well) is actually a desired development  (according to admins) i wonder if front page and article page can be saved by complete design change. popularity algorythm doesnt seem like a good solution of this issue to me

Salty_bae:
popularity algorythm doesnt seem like a good solution of this issue to me

I highly question this popularity algorythm anyway since it pushes up News articles with only a couple views and likes. So what exactly is popular then? An article with recent comments like 3GGG said? 

For me popular means something with a lot of views and likes, not recent activity like a comment. And as you said, it's not solving the issue in any way. 

Yuanwei:
As an editor and user, I have a lot to say, but, for now, I just want to clarify that the editors I know and we all know are NOT the ones editing the news articles, especially lo_ve's articles.

I totally believe you and KimWanHee on this. So can we assume that lo_ve's articles are not checked by editors then? Because that would actually explain the poor quality of them. 

Yesterday,I have thoroughly checked many news submissions. The low effort and quality are quite striking indeed. If there has to be such a great amount of news on the site, then some improvements have to made.

1) Not overflowing the site with trivial news flash,

2) Perhaps, one or two new editors could be recruited to keep an eye on these submissions, especially if they are coming from one submitter.

With regard to the layout, in my opinion, the golden mean would be bump up editorials at the very top (and reinstate the good old slider), and keep the news in a separate column section at the bottom.

PS I second moonchild's and Yuanwei's posts.

Ebisuno92:
With regard to the layout, in my opinion, the golden mean would be bump up editorials at the very top (and reinstate the good old slider), and keep the news in a separate column section at the bottom.

I would love this sort of solution! 

I mean I would even be okay with a news section on the side but as you mentioned the quality really needs improvement, because right now it's horrible and the quantity should also be levelled down to a reasonable amount. 5 news articles per day (with trivial news) are way too much. 

Ebisuno92:

I agree with this.

They seem to have made some positive changes now!! Maybe they do read our comments after all!! :)

Estelll:

They seem to have made some positive changes now!! Maybe they do read our comments after all!! :)

Indeed, the changes certainly help. Now we no longer have a misunderstanding with the word "popular" and "trending". The only thing is that the Feature tab (which is still acting as trending) seems redundant since we are getting basically the same articles as the "Recent" tab. 

I still think that news (so long as it is published every few hours) will always outnumber Editorials. So perhaps a solution would be to change the "Featured" algorithm to show half editorials (most recent) and half news (most recent). Then they can simply replace "Recent" with "News" for those who enjoy/look for that content. 

My two cents.

3GGG:

Indeed, the changes certainly help. Now we no longer have a misunderstanding with the word "popular" and "trending". The only thing is that the Feature tab (which is still acting as trending) seems redundant since we are getting basically the same articles as the "Recent" tab. 

I still think that news (so long as it is published every few hours) will always outnumber Editorials. So perhaps a solution would be to change the "Featured" algorithm to show half editorials (most recent) and half news (most recent). Then they can simply replace "Recent" with "News" for those who enjoy/look for that content. 

My two cents.

Yes, and also, in my opinion, that whole section is too long, it's taking too much of the Home Page and it kinda makes it ugly... Maybe a complete homepage revamp is in the works?