I totally agree with everything that's been said in this thread. I love MDL, but these news articles are really becoming overwhelming, to the point it's ridiculous. They are biased too, since basically all of them are about the South Korean industry. 

Plus, the way the news articles are being managed makes no sense, in my opinion. It's just a bunch of random pieces of news, it's not even a proper news section. Either MDL officially becomes a news website too, where users can actually read all the news related to the drama world -- in that case they should create an entirely new section dedicated to it -- or it goes back to the way it used to be, giving priority to editorials. If they really want to add a news section to the home page, they can also create a Twitter account to share the news and then add a widget to the website. 

Foreigner:
They are biased too, since basically all of them are about the South Korean industry. 

Now that you mention it, I see it. xD Guess at some point I just didn't pay close attention to them anymore. 

Foreigner:
If they really want to add a news section to the home page, they can also create a Twitter account to share the news and then add a widget to the website. 

Exactly. There are so many ways by now to implement something like this into a website. It doesn't need to cover half of a webpage. 

I felt the same! I love to read articles about dramas and movies and maybe add some to my PTW but recently all I see are news related which are mostly about the bullying controversies of idols/actors. Since from my observation for 6 months since I joined this site, MDL is a community about collaboration rather than supplying tea. So, I've also voted for necessary changes since News feeds cannot be totally ignored.

Voted- I agree  bc there is loads of these Types of Articles & they are kicking out all the Editorials people have worked hard on, from the homepage after a couple of hours. It can be discouraging, for people to write articles bc they might think whats the point.

I also think these articles Saying X& Y are in talks for a drama are just copied/Translated from another page, Least you can do is add your own spin on things, like the writers opinion on whatever is being written about idk

Skye-N-Rain:

Voted. This is something we have been working on. Both news pieces and editorials that writers have spent many, many hours coming up with have a place on MDL and our solution will reflect that.

I love MDL, and thank you for being here, but I really hope the "solution" of articles (90% of them being news btw) covering half of MDL Home Page is just temporary. 

It doesn't solve the problem, and besides, homepage now just looks really ugly!!

In an entirely different note, "Recent Forum Posts" have disappeared from the Home Page as well...

What do you guys think about the newest update that separates the articles into Popular, Recent, and Editorial (which includes only Editorial and Drama Recaps)? Do you like it or not?

Cho Na:

What do you guys think about the newest update that separates the articles into Popular, Recent, and Editorial (which includes only Editorial and Drama Recaps)? Do you like it or not?

I don't know. I had assumed that the short news articles would be gotten rid of with this update. And when I mean get rid of, I mean like in their own little place in a corner and not in the rotation on the front page. This is a step up, I guess since you can choose editorials but honestly, it would be better if the main page would be devoted to purely editorials. I'm happy that they didn't ignore this issue tho! 

Anyhoo, what I realized tho, is that it's not even short news articles that are the problem. It's the writers themselves. Hopefully, admins will talk to them. 

PS: It's not just one article writer anymore. There are two.  I hadn't realized this due to the fact that all the articles sounded like the same writer to me. 

Cho Na:

Actually I don't like it. The setting is on "Popular" and I just checked, under Popular there's only one Editorial. All others (plus the ones on the top) are News, so you can still clearly say the amount of news compared to Editorials is insanely high. Sure I can click on Editorial, but how many people do that? I'm a reader who gets interested by the title but since barely any editorial ever shows up on the main page it's hard for me these days to actually find them. The ratio is off. For one editorial article we got 10 news articles so of course the others get buried. That's why I think as long as the attitude of said news articles writers does not change and the way MDL runners/admins deal with it, the situation won't change. 

Hwayi:

I don't know. I had assumed that the short news articles would be gotten rid of with this update. And when I mean get rid of, I mean like in their own little place in a corner and not in the rotation on the front page. This is a step up, I guess since you can choose editorials but honestly, it would be better if the main page would be devoted to purely editorials. I'm happy that they didn't ignore this issue tho! 

Anyhoo, what I realized tho, is that it's not even short news articles that are the problem. It's the writers themselves. Hopefully, admins will talk to them. 

PS: It's not just one article writer anymore. There are two.  I hadn't realized this due to the fact that all the articles sounded like the same writer to me. 

Agreed. News shouldn't be in the center, but that's where they are right now. A news ticker widget on the site with rotation would be fine with me. It would gather attention from those who are interested but could as easily be ignored from those who aren't. 

And yes that's the conclusion I came to as well. I don't care much about those news articles, don't read them. What I really think is a problem is

1. The unreasonable amount of them being published per day

2. Them burying editorials

3. when editors are occupied with the news articles so much that editing/checking editorials is delayed because of this (not sure if that's a real exisiting issue so if anyone knows more, I'd like to ask for their opinion here) 

Yeah I noticed. There's also one who's asking for the second time if they can write news articles 

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/community-tasks/29624-mdl-writers-article-ideas-discussion?pid=1631957&page=75#p1631957

It's not against them, but I wish someone would tell them clearly No because we already have an issue connected to such articles, another one writing news articles will only worsen the situation. 

Hi, 

Here is my opinion on the matter.

The new article panel is simply far too long. Even worse, it is overloaded with information that should not be there in the first place. What is even the point of this? I am not on Dispatch.

This kind of news is an example of what I want to see, because it is actually something related to the purpose of MyDramaList and that I, the user, will be able to interact with.

I do not wish for MyDramaList to be the first on news, I wish for it to be pertinent, informative and reliable on what it delivers.

Right now, the situation is such that appropriate articles are drowned by tabloid material. Either split relevant shows information and gossip matters into separate tabs, or relegate the latter to the feeds section.

allekseu:
The new article panel is simply far too long. Even worse, it is overloaded with information that should not be there in the first place. What is even the point of this? I am not on Dispatch.

I just tried to read this article but had to give up. It's hurting how many times lo_ve uses the same phrase "He also shared/stated" Literally 5 times in 7 sentences. Why is something with such poor quality published?! Come on, it's so easy to find alternatives for this if you're willing. This proves that the user does not even try to write good, informative articles. The purpose is to spam the front page and they do it successfully. Why are the admins only watching the problem but not stopping the user. 

I'd like to mention repeatedly, the problem is not news articles in general, nor how long news articles are. 

The problem is the massive amount of news articles that are being published and therefore pushing away editorials, the trivial informations that do not need an article in the first place and the user itself who obviously does this out of fun and questionable motives considering the poor writing (copying from other sources) and spamming. 

Also again, nothing important was stated in the article, it couldn't be more trivial. The actor just announced he will get married, something that was known before since the marriage was only postponed due to Covid-19! For god's sake, write an article when the guy is married not one month ahead. That's so pointless. 

allekseu:
I do not wish for MyDramaList to be the first on news, I wish for it to be pertinent, informative and reliable on what it delivers.

Amen. The main page looks like a tabloid by now. All articles are news, not one editorial is there. 

I really wanted to submit my next article soon but now I see it's useless. It will only be buried under this load of **** anyway and honestly, I put way too much love and effort in it to watch it being treated like this. For now MDL is not a place where I'm willing to contribute, I might even cancel my donations because I do not wish to support a page that favors one user over the interests of so many. 

I beg the admins to take actions that truly change something for the better. 

I hate the way the home page looks with all those news articles... that often have nothing much to say. They burry good editorials under a mountain of meh... which makes you not want to read anything at all. Shame!! 

And the amount of articles also pushes aside the reviews and trending shows etcetera. Please change it back!

Also... (something completely different): could it be possible for someone to post anything other than K-drama on Instagram. A lot of us also like Japanese, Chinese etcetera shows. The balance is just off.

Other than that: I love your site! My favorite site! I visit it every day!! Thank you for all your hard work!!!

Well...i don't read much articles, only the one which catch my eye or someone promote them to me personally, so as a friend help i'm checking it and give it some love...but yeah, tons of news, bombarding me are meh..i have feeds/likes on almost all "gossipy" asian sites, i don't need another one at MDL. Unless it's AMAZINGLY IMPORTANT. But another info about pregnancy or wedding...pffff...i would like another solid article, than news. And yeah, it's also good point from @Minne8 and i agree - the disproportion in terms of countries is really striking: / and you get the impression that only in Korea or sometimes in Japan, someone is getting married, giving birth or doing something at all: /

Just to suggest one kind of solution, isn't it possible to keep the slider up top and put all Editorials in there and maybe put the news articles where the Popular/Recent/Editorials section is, but maybe make it a little shorter? Like this the Editorials would be in the slider for a longer time and not be pushed out by news.

I am on MDL every day and it was today that I realised I can switch between Popular/ Recent/ Editorials...I don't think this separation really helps like this. I think there really should be a clear separation where each of the articles are and they should not mix at all. 

Another point, which has been mentioned and which I agree with, is that some news articles like "Upcoming Netflix shows" makes sense while others about idols or some actors getting married (although we already knew) is unnecessary. I think news about dramas, possible casting choices, returning actors to the small screen, announced remakes etc. do belong on MDL but news about idols and their activities or scandals do not belong on the site. 

I think the problem is that there's a misconception regarding the word "Popular" as used on the front page. The articles being showcased there aren't technically the most popular, but the ones trending (meaning, they get there because someone commented on the article recently). What I mean is that trending and popular are two different things and aren't interchangeable.

Naturally, "news" articles as of now are trending. How can they not? They are essentially a fast read which allows users to quickly drop a comment. Editorials, on the other hand, tend to be longer and require more of the users' attention. 

So my new suggestions based on the changes would be as follows:

1. Change the Editorial Tab to be the landing one of the page. 
    •  Editorials are the gems of MDL since they are unique to the site --unlike the news which can be found elsewhere (especially if they come from the same source). So show some love to the editorials by giving the new articles a chance to be found by the average user upon arrival (like it used to be before).
  2. Change the algorithm so that the Popular tab shows a list of articles with many hearts (likes), comments, and/or views. That way it really becomes a list of the most popular articles. 
  3. Add a trending tab to find the articles that have the most recent user-engagement. 
  4. There's enough space now to perhaps also add tabs for articles related to China, Japan, Thailand, etc. so those interested in non-K-Drama-centric content can quickly find them.
  5. If news articles are here to stay (which it seems they are), you really need some major quality control and basic rules. 
    • Have the writer put in a fresh perspective on the news so that the piece becomes unique to MDL (the news should reflect some effort in the writing, at the very least). 
    • If not, force them to at least do the decent thing and link the source they are copying. After all, they are essentially reaping the benefits of someone else's labor. But, to be honest, without a fresh perspective the news are simply echoes of someone else.
    • Avoid writing speculative articles that do not benefit anyone. "Actor A in talks to maybe appear on Drama C" is, frankly, irrelevant. And, as already mentioned here, breeds misconceptions and confusion.

Now, we can wish for change all we want but at the end of the day, the one thing we have the power to do is to stop writing editorials for this website to make our disappointment be known. It's the equivalent of "voting with your wallet", but in this case, you're voting by refusing to provide work for a website that no longer values it.  

However, that is only my opinion (and my decision). At the end of the day, we will all do what feels right to us.

3GGG:
If news articles are here to stay (which it seems they are), you really need some major quality control and basic rules. 
Have the writer put in a fresh perspective on the news so that the piece becomes unique to MDL (the news should reflect some effort in the writing, at the very least). 
If not, force them to at least do the decent thing and link the source they are copying. After all, they are essentially copying something written by someone else and reaping the benefits. But, to be honest, without a fresh perspective the news are simply echoes of what someone else wrote.
Avoid writing speculative articles that do not benefit anyone. "Actor A in talks to maybe appear on Drama C" is, frankly, irrelevant. And, as already mentioned here, breeds misconceptions and confusion.

Also THIS. Like i said, if someone have feeds on most sites, as i said before, seeing only copied-pasted news here, without sources is little unfair, to the original author. Some commentary and bigger perspective would be nice.  I mean...i get it fast to add, and something always happens on the front page, but at the same time, why be like all other sites?  I know articles take more times, not everybody read them, still...i would prefer to promote content made by uers, than only copy-paste stuff.