LoveSiYehan:

Am in ep 33 now, don't if I should continue watching if Mingyu turns to be a thankless bitch and Chengxu just suffers and sacrifice in vain, 

You know Chengxu goiNg to keep suffering, he’s been suffering since the beginning of the drama. So sad!

No justice for his mom, no justice for his heart, no justice for the country.   The dumbest thing Mingyu and dead emperor did was naming their son the emperor.  Completely selfish and incompetent.  Of course he wouldn’t listen to his mom, even if she was the queen dowager.  

Goyoolee:

You know Chengxu goiNg to keep suffering, he’s been suffering since the beginning of the drama. So sad!

No justice for his mom, no justice for his heart, no justice for the country.   The dumbest thing Mingyu and dead emperor did was naming their son the emperor.  Completely selfish and incompetent.  Of course he wouldn’t listen to his mom, even if she was the queen dowager.  

Poor CX even he die more tragic rather than the bad ppl 

Episode 12 (Cheng Xu says, "God insists on not giving me wings".) I kept thinking about the female screenwriter who scripted both dramas (I was already thinking of putting Cheng Yi as the protagonist in Love and Redemption)? This reference was very audible to my ears (and I thought, "Yes, God gave you wings, beautiful wings of 12 feathers and fire"). P.S: Okay, I know it's a symbolism of the things that your character, Cheng Xu, cannot achieve in life. But ... (there is this other hidden meaning).
And on the top list of actors, Cheng Yi, is in 6th with his drama Promise of Chang An, in 3rd, (which reached 1 billion views). Both remain on the list deservedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63_nnAYqiss

Goyoolee:

No comment regarding Cheng Rui since he stole the throne to begin with. He is far too comfortable in that position to even remember how he got it in the first place. 

But Ming Yu. She knows the truth. But still did what she did. Her son is just typical spoiled rich kid that never have to make any effort to have anything. I am waiting for this fool death.

Xien_Rue:

No comment regarding Cheng Rui since he stole the throne to begin with. He is far too comfortable in that position to even remember how he got it in the first place. 

But Ming Yu. She knows the truth. But still did what she did. Her son is just typical spoiled rich kid that never have to make any effort to have anything. I am waiting for this fool death.

That's exactly what I mean, this Mingyu, knowing  what she knows, how in the world caould she ever ignore Chengxu's aspiration for the throne??? And she seemed to do everything for the sake of Chengxu, what changed her mindset?

I finally caught up to episode 36. It seems Ming Yu was in this delusion that it was okay for Cheng Rui took the throne by dishonest means because he was a good king and emperor in the end. If she thought that Cheng Rui was a legitimate emperor, of course she will think that her son a well-deserved successor. 

She will always try to protect Cheng Xu but never in her mind she thinks that he is the rightful ruler. I hate her so much right now ....

https://twitter.com/olinyi_/status/1315724120101777408?s=20

What a beautiful new music video for the drama. Here, Cheng Xi, Cheng Yi's character, looks so victorious. A regent who conquers his legitimate throne.
 Xien_Rue:

So true what you said about chengrui.  I honestly don’t know why the writers made their kid such a loser.  His character really doesn’t match his parents.  Yes, he’s devious like his dad but when his dad was growing up, he was a really good kid that was trusted by his father and was a great older brother.  He wasn’t ultra dumb and lazy like his son.  He was way way more talented too.  I know it doesn’t bug other people but it bothers me that the writers made the son such a bad character.  It’s lazy writing.  I Felt like the writers wanted an easy way to kill the kid Emperor so they made him a shitty person.  It’s much easier to kill off a shitty dumb character than a complicated, Layered Character with good and bad parts.  

You’re gonna feel so much pain for Chengxu episode 37-42.  And you’re gonna the lazy kid emperor.

Mingyu is complicit in all of this and I will always hate her.  I understand why she does what she does, because women will always choose their children, but I can still hate her.

we’ve already come this far, might as well just keep watching until Chengxu dies.

Xien_Rue:

I finally caught up to episode 36. It seems Ming Yu was in this delusion that it was okay for Cheng Rui took the throne by dishonest means because he was a good king and emperor in the end. If she thought that Cheng Rui was a legitimate emperor, of course she will think that her son a well-deserved successor. 

She will always try to protect Cheng Xu but never in her mind she thinks that he is the rightful ruler. I hate her so much right now ....

Your comments are damn good.  Seriously, what the hell. I’m getting angry all over again lmao.  She sticks by her shitty husband Who stole the crown, sticks by her kid (That she did a terrible job of raising), and was okay with them ruling but the one person with integrity who made the biggest sacrifices for the country, she didn’t want on the throne.  Selfish as hell.

LoveSiYehan:

That's exactly what I mean, this Mingyu, knowing  what she knows, how in the world caould she ever ignore Chengxu's aspiration for the throne??? And she seemed to do everything for the sake of Chengxu, what changed her mindset?

So freaking true.  I think we all know that a woman will always choose her children over anyone else.  That’s fine, I would do that as well.  She and Chengxu have been masterful at handling problems.  They would have been able to do that with him as emperor too.  Some comments in the main thread said In episode 37-42, the emperor secretly told his guard to kill his son (mingyu’s kid) If he wasn’t named the emperor?!  We’ll have to see how that plays out bc to me, that command is completely short sided and selfish as hell.

Goyoolee:
I honestly don’t know why the writers made their kid such a loser.

Since this drama is a remake of true historical drama, the son character was based on a real character, too. I watched a little of Xiaozhuang Mishi. The son was a brat too in that drama.

I think it is not a lazy writer. This kind of bratty attitude actually very much resounding with real life. Lots of children with parent that coddle them too much, shied away from disciplining them in the name of "they are still a child, just let them be". Do you know how those children behave when they finally grow up and "finally in time to be disciplined"?! Exactly like the little emperor in this drama. Once you pass certain period in child live, trying to instill them with good behavior and discipline is harder than anything. 

The little emperor grows up without any father figure. And since he is an emperor since baby, no one dare to say no to him. Add a spoiling from the whole harem to the equation, you get a walking disaster. 

Even in the time of his father, Cheng Xu hold considerable power in court. Of course everyone will look up to him when the emperor is still naive child. No one want to listen a child rambling when they try to govern a country. But being a child he is, the emperor cannot understand.  So when this little emperor see that everyone else listening to Cheng Xu more than him, he riots.

I blame Ming Yu the most for this. She should disciplined her son from the very beginning so he can grow up to be a good man. Now, we get a good for nothing for emperor. It is her karma for agreeing with Cheng Rui that his stealing the throne is OKAY.

Goyoolee:

So freaking true.  I think we all know that a woman will always choose her children over anyone else.  That’s fine, I would do that as well.  She and Chengxu have been masterful at handling problems.  They would have been able to do that with him as emperor too.  Some comments in the main thread said In episode 37-42, the emperor secretly told his guard to kill his son (mingyu’s kid) If he wasn’t named the emperor?!  We’ll have to see how that plays out bc to me, that command is completely short sided and selfish as hell.

I think Cheng Rui hold a grudge to his father of naming Cheng Xu as successor instead of him. So until the end, he could never let go the throne because he has deluded himself for years that he didn't steal the throne. It was rightfully his.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1316750315056631810
Bts from Promise of Chang An (looks like he knows how to deal with children).

Watching episode 43-48 is exhausting. The walking disaster aka the bratty emperor keeps on making me angry. The episodes could be summarized to two points:

1. The emperor messed up. Ming Yu tried to clean up his mess: apologizing to Cheng Xu, asking for Cheng Xu to be more understanding, and lastly hoping Cheng Xu will help the emperor find a solution for his mess up.

2. The emperor angered Cheng Xu. Ming Yu used underhanded trick to protect her son. 

All I can see, Ming Yu is only protecting her son from Cheng Xu but never protecting Cheng Xu from her son. I am so bored hearing her saying "I understand". What is the use of her understanding anyway? Nothing. She keeps on guilt trip Cheng Xu. 

Cannot wait when Cheng Xu bit the dust and the emperor left to fend for himself. No one will be able to clean up after his mess anymore since even Cheng Xuan died, too. 

I haven't watched episode 37-39 (too emotionally drained right now), so I don't know how Ming Yu got such a bright idea to make her son emperor instead of giving the throne to Cheng Xu.