The Bride of Habaek (2017)

SuchismitaTripathy
Are you looking for a great plot?
Are you looking for a gripping adrenaline fest to watch on the edge of your seat?
Are you looking for a mature story line and brilliant characters?

THEN DON'T WATCH IT !!!!

Not only that this is a huge snooze fest, The actors and the characters have absolutely spark and the story makes no sense. This was the biggest disappointment of 2017 after last year's read more uncontrollably fond. Not only they managed to completely destroy a beautiful story but they reached new heights of trying to make a fool out of the viewers.

This whole drama was just pretty people declaring themselves as deities and acting like snobby little bastards and squabbling like high school kids. The story was long lost and there was almost no chemistry between the leads.

Genre : rom-com, supernatural, manwha

Story : This drama was inspired from the manwha series Bride of water god by Yoon Mi Kyung and then they went ahead to rip the story into shreds turning it into bullshit. If you're looking for a similar story as the manwha about sacrifice, love and grace and politics, then go watch something else because this has absolutely none of that shit.
The so called god of water is a narcissistic asshole who's self-centered to the point you're annoyed. Yoon So Ah is a materialistic bitch who is way too involved in acting like the victim. The story makes no sense till a while and the characters that actually were exciting like the one of Im Joo Hwan and the nurse aren't developed further.
At least Goblin developed all the characters well.

Actors : Shin se kyung is a bad actress and i don't think i am going to watch any of her other dramas. Nam Joo hyuk's acting was a wasted opportunity same as In joo Hwans story. There is almost no chemistry between the leads and the other side actors aren't that commendable. The only surprise in the package was Crystal who surprisingly was way better than the drama.

Will i watch it again... Hell No.
Will i recommend it to anyone?... I am doing a public service by advising you to go look for some other drama. Seriously there are tons of better ones out there.
kingsqueen
I had higher expectations for this drama, so I was slightly disappointed that the plot and the acting didn't quite live up to those. HOWEVER, despite this, I was still engaged with this show and enjoyed it even though it was flawed.

My first criticism is for the plot. I want to preface this by saying that I've never read the comic, so I wasn't influenced in any way by the source read more material. The issue is that the backstory information that would have been so helpful to understanding what was going on was dribbled out like crumbs on the trail in Hansel and Gretel. I wanted to know more, but the writers would have the characters give some cryptic piece of dialogue and then fail to explain well enough that I felt satisfied as a viewer. The answers came "too little, too late" for many people and I felt somewhat like that myself. I was mostly satisfied with the answers we finally received, but not 100%. I also tend to believe that the budget may have been cut early on. The reason I say so is because the "realm of the gods" was only shown briefly, even though it was splendid. And Ha Baek came through to the human's realm without his powers. He was able to use them twice, and they were marvelous special effects, but then they were not used again. I think they made a good choice to cut the special effects rather than lose production value, but I think they made it a little obvious anyway since the show really could have been something special with a bigger budget.

The acting was fine, but not phenomenal. I think Nam Joo Hyuk was not quite the right choice for Ha Baek. He's adorable, sure. And I've enjoyed his other works. But I don't know that he carried the weight of the role as well as a more experienced actor may have. He wasn't a horrible choice, but I just think they could have done better. On the plus side he was VERY cute. :) And Shin Se Kyung got a lot of criticism for her acting, but I don't think she is a bad actress at all. She played her role fine. The chemistry between the two was hit and miss. Sometimes I thought it was there, and other times, not so much. Im Joo Hwan really knocked it out of the park, though, and was one of the lone actors that really stood out in this show. So much so, that a lot of viewers kept watching for him alone. The other actors were fine. Not anything special, but just fine.

Now, the music on the otherhand, was beautiful. I absolutely loved the track, Glass Bridge. Mesmerizing song! I don't know the names of the others, but the music was lovely. The cinematography was beautiful as well.

I can't say I would re-watch this. Maybe after I read the comic, more of the story will fall into place and I'll understand it better, but that's about it. I do think they ended the show much better than I was expecting, even if it was a bit anticlimactic. This show wasn't horrible by any means, and I hate that so many people gave up on it so quickly. But it was a decent watch even though it didn't live up to its potential. I'm not mad I spent the time watching it.
Lia
"The Bride of the Water God" divided opinions, we had people who loved and find it the best drama ever, and people who hated and thinks it's the worst drama ever. It's a 50/50 situation. I personally found it a disappointment, but even though it was not the best I've ever seen, it's not the worst.

*Get ready for a long review *

"The Bride of the Water God" had an excellent read more base story, but then they decided to turn a melodrama with a not-so-lucky ending into a romantic comedy, it just went wrong.

Story: The initial plot was simple, a God who comes to earth with a goal and ends up falling in love with a human and that love is forbidden. But as the drama progressed the writers simply abandoned the initial premise and it started to be a bit difficult to keep up with what was happening, leaving to the very end to really solve the loose endings. The story had a predictable ending, which for a moment, left me with even more questions than when I had first started to watch.

If you like the main couple, even if you don't like genre, you will probably still watch it anyway. The main couple in "The Bride of the Water God", had little to no chemistry, something that made me very annoyed at times, because sometimes they seemed like two robots acting, something that improves a little in the final episodes.
In CEO Shin's arc, the stories improved a bit, so much so that the only reason I continued to see was for him and for Moora and Biryeom, who had more chemistry than the main couple. CEO Shin has a complex but really interesting story.

I have to admit that my two favorite characters throughout the drama were Moora and Biryeom, although Moora was supposed to be the bad one, her relationship with Biryeom stole, at least for me, the spotlight from the main couple.

Cast / Acting: Personally I think the two actors who got the main roles were not the best choice. I had already seen Nam Joo Hyuk in other dramas, and he is someone with a lot of potential, but who was not prepared for this role. Not that he was bad at all, but there were times when it was a little cringeworthy to see him. I think a more experienced actor would be able to handle better such a complex 3000-year-old God.
Shin Se Kyung, I can't say much about her, because it's the first work I see of her, I don't think she is such a bad actress as people are saying, but she isn't an excellent actress either. The biggest problem I see in her is the fact she suffers from something that I like to call stone resting face, th emotionless face expression, making her tries of demonstrate some emotion seem very forced and unnatural, it's something that I think she should work on for her next drama.
The biggest surprise for me in this drama was undoubtedly Krystal, because I always thought she wasn't a good actress, but I was completely mistaken, which made me quite happy.

The OST in this drama was normal, none of the songs excelled for me, it suited the mood, but it was no big deal.

My biggest problem with this drama was its slow pass, everything went by very slowly, the drama focused more on things that did not matter more than on those that really mattered, making the drama very annoying at times. And with that, the episodes became very repetitive without much to add to the story development. (Habaek did something bad, So-Ah was annoyed, he did something cute and she was already okay with him again, this is a summary of almost every episode). On the other hand the cinematography and the special effects were quite good, it was sad that they focused more on fancy effects than on the actual plot.

Will I watch this drama again? Probably not anytime soon. If I recommend to watch it? Yes... if you really don't have anything better to do. This drama is not the worst I've seen, but neither is the best, I think it left much to be desired for how hyped it was.
fuyu
being a huge fan of the manga, i was really excited to see a modern take on the show, but sadly it all went to shit.

story 4/10

i really disliked the plot of this new drama, and how they kept emphasizing on yoon so ah's lack of money, the first few episodes seemed like a pity party for her. the story was really interesting for about 7 episodes, but the writers read more screwed up the ending so bad, i couldn't even watch the last episode.

cast 6/10

honestly i think shin se kyung did an okay job at so ah, but there was literally no chemistry between her and habaek. nam joo hyuk was eh? i feel like his stiff acting was to portray the cold god that habaek is but he literally has 3 expressions in the entire show. i ended up watching the show solely for moora and biryeom, which both krystal and gong myung portrayed very well. as for the im joo hwan, i thought his acting was great, but he felt very out of place in the story. he seems to complicate the story and relationship more than necessary.

music 5.5/10

songs were okay but felt too repetitive after awhile.

just don't watch the drama, it's really not worth it at all.
Aspyre
The Bride of Habaek is the best representation of a great manhwa story adapted into a smaller slice of it and forced into an ordinary modern setting so as to appeal to a greater range of people and to cut those budget costs on costumes and sets.

The story barely made any sense and even when it did, it left you wondering if perhaps they wrote a little bit of the script read more and then realized how many plot holes it has and then added onto it, which made it very weirdly paced and mostly mellowed out and too chill for what this was originally supposed to be.

Kudos to Im Joo Hwan, I'm pretty sure that during the airing time of this drama the commentary that I've read both on MDL and other websites pointed out how fond the viewers were of his character and how much we've all been invested in his story from the very start. The other characters, however, were quite bland and felt a little bit like stand-in cardboards for Twilight-ish kinda roles, definitely not that appealing. I did root for the secondary couples, since the main ship had zero chemistry and even the romantic scenes felt awkward to watch most of the time.

The saving grace of this drama is its OST, which I'm sure we'll all remember for quite awhile, it greatly helped in a few moments in the plot where the acting was terrible and the overall musical background to the scenes was well-thought out.

To be honest, the only reason I could watch this through all of its episodes was because I watched only one episode in awhile, and took it as a slow-paced but consistent messy drama that it is. I would definitely never watch it again, but it was surprisingly such a miss in so many aspects that everything lacking did lower its level to a very linear-feeling experience which was, due to its comfortingly non-changing nature, strangely watchable.

If you're here for a supernatural romantic story, go watch something else from the genre. If you're here for a slow-paced, not so serious, modern-setting varation of the original manhwa that you're not gonna binge watch, you might want to try it. It would be very dishonest to recommend this as anything else, so if you want to experience this kind of a story in a proper way and to enjoy some beautiful art and writing in the process, opt for the manhwa instead.
Elle
Despite everything, Bride of the Water God was a cute drama with an adorable couple. I am disappointed that it wasn't able to live up to expectations, but the drama has a bit of its own charm.

The story itself is a bit scattered. It may be that it was trying to accomplish too much at once and wasn't able to execute on anything very well. I had a very hard time read more keeping engaged with the story and the lore of the Immortal Realm in particular. The original work would certainly fall into the mellow drama category. This drama is more of a romantic comedy. The constant pull between mellow drama and comedy is very distracting to the overall telling of the story.

Unfortunately, casting Nam Joo Hyuk as the lead character Habaek turned out to be a poor decision. Nam Joo Hyuk proved to be much too green to pull off the 3000 year old Habaek. Though he is cute and charming in parts ... other moments seem down right cringeworthy. Even though Habaek is supposed to be a bit of a man child, the childish demeanor washes away most of the sex appeal of the original Water God. Out of all the things I've seen Nam Joo Hyuk in, this is probably easily his weakest performance. I feel like he never really gets used to acting the part of Habaek.

Actually the character story that I was most intrigued with was Shin Hoo Ye played by Im Joo Hwan. I feel like Im always is cast as deep, complex characters. I loved CEO Shin story arc. His backstory and character development was so compelling, it ultimately distracted from the lead couple. Still rooting for a Happy Ending for Hoo Ye!

Though this drama was far from perfect, there were some charmingly touching parts. I did enjoy watching it. I just probably won't be revisiting it anytime soon.
YoongiGotSwag
okay so this is my first review and im gonna be honest.

i was really excited for this drama because it had all of my favorite actors. Nam Joo Hyuk, Krystal, Im Joo Hwan AND Gong Myung.

The story was actually good and funny at the starting but in the end it got so boring. The story wasnt progressing at all, An episode is of one hour but it looked like 2 read more hours of even more than that.

In the end, i was so confused and disappointed that how did the story script even get such good actors.

I hope all these actors' next drama is good and gets better ratings.
Mikoto
PLOT-3/5
This drama was a complete disappointment. I know it was hyped up since everyone thought it was going to be like Goblin but it is not!! Initially, it was pretty cool since they are Gods but after that, all they do is boast that they are Gods and it gets really boring. There isn't really much character development. In fact, the second couple was so much better. There was good growth read more that you can see.

CAST-4/5
They were pretty much okay but there was NO CHEMISTRY at all between Shin Se Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk that the romance parts looked more like awkward parts than romantic.

ACTING-3.5/5
Krystal and Gong Myung were hella amazing! Even for Im Joo Hwan, their acting was so good that it seemed more like they were the main in this drama.

RECOMMEND-0/5
Definitely a NO NO to watch if you can't stand any of the above. TBH, I would say it was a waste of my time to watch but the second couple made things more pleasant.
Nina
Many people say that this has no plot, and I will agree. It's pretty random and it doesn't go by the book, nor the description the show has provided. However, even though that's a disappointment there is still a lot of joy in watching this.

STORY: The story isn't something I expected. I expected the actually plot of the manga, yet I got something different. It's not a bad thing though because read more different is good. The love between two main characters was something I've been never seen before, so it was a great watch on that part.

CAST: They were all pretty good looking, and they all had valuable parts. I applaud them for doing such a good job.

MUSIC: Songs were pretty adorable, but sometimes they got a bit upsetting that is if you know what I mean?

- I wouldn't rewatch it unless I'm really bored and in need of some romantically made comedy,

Overall this was a good watch and I'm not really complaining with how things turned out.
RinnyMusic
The Bride of Habaek is one of those dramas they could have done so much more with it.

Each character was not used to its full potential. The romance was okay, but it could have been so much more. To me the main plot was never really fully used.

You take the character role of Mu Ra / He Ra. They made her more like a 2 year old spoiled child throwing read more a tantrum all until the end.

Like I said so many holes so many things they could have done yet didn't. It is really sad because the had an awesome cast .

Would I watch again? yes

Was the music great? love the music it was awesome

Overall I am giving it a 7 mostly because I love the cast and the music.
leelee78982
The reason why I watched this drama was out of curiosity because of the vast amount of criticism I kept seeing. And, after watching it I see why that happened.

Story: 1/10
The biggest problem that this drama had was the script and story line. As I watched the drama I felt like I was being insulted. The writers gave so little thought to the viewing audience in terms of background and read more reasoning. Once I completed the drama and looked back on what I had just watched, two scenarios filled my mind. One, the writers gathered in a room, wrote down a bunch of ideas and randomly pulled them out of a hat each episode. Or two, they had so much that they wanted to fit into the drama that they didn't have enough time to delve deep into the situations and instead, caused total chaos and confusion.

Acting/Cast: 8/10
A lot of people had a problem with Shin Se Kyung's acting. After seeing her in many dramas, I realized that she is an actress that doesn't have a wide range of facial expressions. Her happy face, sad face, confused face, or even her angry face, look pretty much the same. This was even more obvious when working alongside actors/actresses who use their faces actively while acting. I think that she is an okay actress, but this role just wasn't the right fit for her. And the chemistry between the two leads was just horrible. There was no sparks and it became painful to watch. I was eager for their scenes to end and watch the side characters instead. The other actors/actresses did a phenomenal job. They played their roles well; however, no matter how great a job they do, if the script is garbage then there is no salvation for the drama.

Music: 9/10
Now the music on the other hand was amazing.Overall they felt almost mystical-like and were very easy on the ears. The singer's voices fit each song well and they worked perfectly in the moments they were played. My favorite OST was Glass Bridge By Savina & Drones (???????).

Rewatch Value: 1/10
I will never watch this drama again. I got through it once because of the actors and music but the drama is too infuriating to watch it again. Instead, I'll just watch other works with them in it.

Overall: 5/10
The tragedy of this drama is the wasted talent of the actors/actresses and beautiful OST set. It had a lot of promise but the haphazard job done by the script writers and the casting of the main female lead ruined the whole drama. I always say that you should try it to see how you feel about it but this time I will say that with a warning; be prepared for confusion and constant wondering if you missed something in the previous scenes.
Pinocchio
First this wouldn't be considered as the best but I did like it, at first I only watched it bc of my love for the manhwa and SSK but I was skeptical at first bc there was NJH and Krystal which I've watched their projects where they were leads n did not like it but this drama is decent.
Props to IJH his acting was the best next would be SSK.
This read more drama took me on an emotional ride felt sad, happy, scared, anxious,etc... all of my emotions were brought out.
Hope that they'll have a season 2 since I want to know more but overall this drama is pretty decent wouldn't say it's the best or worst.
The Bride of Habaek

tvN
  • Duration:

60 min.

• Score:

7.2 (scored by 3,553 users)
  • Ranked: