kingsqueen

Jealousy Incarnate
Nov 11, 2016
I love Gong Hyo Jin, and the trailers for this show are what drew me to it. I like the two male leads as well, and this looked to be a fairly fun romance story.

The first half of this show, I was utterly in love with it. I re-watched episodes as I waited for new ones to air. But I made the fatal mistake of falling for the second male lead, read more knowing that the writers would break my heart and his. The show starts off by throwing a huge cast of characters at us, and their relations seem a little confusing at first. But, eventually, all is sorted, and we have ourselves with 3 main love triangles. Pyo Na Ri, who has been in a 3 year one-sided love with Lee Hwa Shin, and then meets and falls for his best friend and ultimate chaebol gentleman, Go Jung Won. This is our main triangle and love story. The others are played up at first but slowly get pushed to the background....just like our 2nd lead. I blame the writers for making Jung Won such a perfect catch (and Go Kyung Pyo for making Jung Won seriously swoony) that he was hard to get over. Whereas, in contrast Hwa Shin could be a perfect donkey's behind...yet somehow you couldn't hate him because he also showed that he cared about everyone in his life as well. He was definitely tortured by his own inner self.

The story had some serious moments that the writers cut with humorous moments, so the weightier matters didn't drag the show into melodrama territory. There were strong characters and great chemistry with ALL the cast members. The writers did a fantastic job with the casting, and it could not have been more perfect. Up until around episode 14, I was sure that this might be the best drama I had ever watched and I fully expected to see it on my list of favorites. But the writers started to make some missteps in the story from my point of view. And I know that the majority of viewers may disagree with me. I did not feel that way simply because my 2nd lead wasn't getting the girl. Hwa Shin was not a bad choice for Pyo Na Ri. They did have some great chemistry together and I could see where the Hwa Shin "shippers" could be all on board with him. But I wasn't as swayed as I could have been and the actions of the characters didn't seem honorable to me in that mid-point. It dampened my love for the show somewhat, and that never fully recovered. Jealousy Incarnate was still a good show and I looked forward to it every week. I think they wrapped up the story well and completely for our main couple. However, they left a lot of loose ends when they backburnered the side characters that were prominent in the first several episodes.

My favorite side characters may have been the doctor and her nurse. Nurse Oh stole every scene she was in, and the doctor was both funny and full of heart.
The music was great - seriously stand out. I'm not normally into the music so much, but there were several songs that I had to hunt down and play for my own enjoyment of them.

Please, do give this show a chance (and push through past the first couple of episodes if it's hard - it's worth it!). You'll have lots of laughter and emotions.
Queen In Hyun's Man
Oct 7, 2016
This show was pure amazing fantasy romance. It may have been one of the most romantic dramas I have watched up until now. I wasn't sure how I felt about the main male lead before I got into this, even though I knew I liked Yoo In Na. However, he blew me away - he was perfect for this role.

The story was pure fantasy, and it pulled at my heart. Kim read more Boong Do is pulled 300 years into the future when a talisman made by the chief monk and given to him by a woman who has been praying for his safety as a political tug of war is going on in the palace of King Suk Jong. In our present time, he meets actress Choi Hee Jin. Kim Boong Do is a scholar and remarkably smart and perceptive. He picks up things in this future world quickly, allowing him to blend in to modern society when he needs to. However, he has unfinished business back in Joseon. The talisman carries him back and forth, risking his life each time to come back to Hee Jin and going back in order to further his cause. The love that develops with our couple is tender and fraught with obstacles. "To live is to die and to die is to live."

The actors had chemistry galore, and it was probably helped by the fact that these two reportedly started dating during the filming of this show. The kisses were way better than the cliched wide eyed staring kisses - they looked real and passionate. You In Na was adorably cute - both in her funny scenes and when she was sad. You just wanted to hug her and make her feel better. Ji Hyun Woo made me flutter a bit (and to think a year ago I thought he wasn't attractive at all) in this role. He was the perfect romantic lead - he was caring and considerate. If you are looking for a realistic love story, look somewhere else. This is a fairy tale romance in every way. Just settle back and enjoy what they are serving here because your heart will thank you. :) Anyone that is a sucker for romance will love this show.

The music wasn't really noticeable to me until later on in the show. The first couple of episodes seemed somewhat quiet (little to no music)....but in a good way.

I can't rate this show less than a 10, and I absolutely could see myself watching this again some rainy long weekend.
Queen In Hyun's Man gave me tons of romantic feels, and hit every note just right. From the cute and funny moments, to the heartbreak and tears, to the action and tension of how Kim Boong Do would escape with his life once more.
Healer
May 10, 2016
One word for this drama - perfection.
It'd been in my queue for a while to watch this, but I kept putting it off for other dramas until one of my new MDL friends recommended it. I was just finishing up another drama and decided to take the plunge. I'm so thankful for that push. This drama hit all the right notes for me. The storyline was fast paced and interesting. It read more masquerades as an action drama, but there is romance aplenty.
The skinship is adorable between our OTP and they were not stingy with it. (sigh!) The confession scene, as I was promised, was one of the best I've ever seen. And the moments leading up to it were heart-fluttering.
I loved the Eternal Love song which I think was their theme; however, without the backdrop of the story, the song is a little cheesy sounding. The acting was top notch, though. I'm now a fan of both lead actors and hope to see them both in something as awesome as this drama was. They both have the most expressive eyes and cute smiles for days. There are moments that you yell at your tv, but not in a bad way. I just had to warn them! *wink*
The story and characters are very layered and it all unfolds the way it should. I have no criticisms for this drama (unless it's to say that I want MORE. LOL) I will definitely be re-watching this one, as it goes into my top 3 favorite dramas I've watched to date.
The Greatest Love
May 30, 2016
I was SO wrong about this drama! Initially I was not interested in this. Although I kept hearing how good this was, it just didn't look good to me (I'll fully admit to judging a drama by its cover a lot...and being wrong a lot!). I finally decided that I was going to take the plunge and see what the big deal was all about.

If you enjoyed Fated to Love You read more or Master's Sun (2 of my favorite dramas), I think you will enjoy this show also. Dok Go Jin reminded me of both Lee Gun and Joo Joong Won - like he was a mashup of both these characters. He starts off as arrogant and self-centered and he can't imagine why he's having feelings for Gu Ae Jung who is not on his "level". And he can also be childish and petty. A character that I was not remotely interested in at ALL became a very beloved character to me throughout this show. And Ae Jung is a sympathetic character - the one who gives and gives.

I would have given this a perfect 10, but the story was really just a simple fluffy romance. But it was a romance story that warmed my heart anyway. It had some flaws in the story, but they did not take away from my enjoyment in any major way. Dok Go Jin's love for Gu Ae Jung was unstoppable. There were cute moments, funny moments, teary moments, frustrating moments...The Hong Sisters really know how to illicit emotion. It may not have been a groundbreaking story, but it was enjoyable and full of heart and I know that I will watch this again. I thought the chemistry between the leads was good, and I enjoyed the secondary characters for the most part. I especially loved "Ding Dong".

I may be over-rating this for some, but I truly enjoyed it despite its flaws. And ratings are entirely subjective. ;) I also loved the way the ending was done. I'm a fan of epilogue moments, and I feel like this story was wrapped up very well with a very satisfying ending.
First Kiss for the Seventh Time
Honestly, I wasn't even going to write a review for this. It's basically a movie length CF, and I only watched it to kill some down-time at work. The idea was good in theory, but they tried to shove so many (top star) characters into such a short time that it felt WAY too rushed. And the ending episode was even more so. The running time was less than 9 minutes on read more the last one, yet the story ended at around the 5-6 minute mark and they wrapped up with BTS footage.

The story was kind of cringe-worthy, so the only real thing to recommend about it was all the pretty male faces.
I truly cannot even recommend this to anyone unless you are just looking to fill about an hour or so and have nothing better to do.
My Little Baby
May 6, 2016
This was a super cute comedy! It's a 16 episode drama, but each episode is only about half an hour instead of a full hour long, so this one goes rather quickly and does not get dragged out. This is the first drama I've seen the male lead in - and I really enjoyed him a lot! He has a very cute smile and his character was pretty much a Mr. Perfect. read more He may have been a little bit shy and fumbled his way through learning to take care of a baby, which provided a lot of the comedy, but he was a very loyal and caring person. He had an amazing smile that just lit up the screen, and his interactions with Eun Ae (the baby) were just adorable. I felt like the female lead was a little on the weak side, which was kind of disappointing as I really enjoyed that actress in Let's Eat (btw, the actress that played her friend in that drama is a main actor in this one as well.) Oh Ji Ho as Cha Jeong Han totally carried this coupling. But overall, this was a quick, fun watch. The mom friends that he gained were so funny (especially Boem Soo's mom and her running joke through the series) and provided both comedy and obstacles to overcome. The last 2 episodes were very sweet and induced a few tears (happy ones!) The plot is very simple, but it is a really cute story and I would be willing to watch it all over again.

Note - I didn't give high marks to the music, because honestly, I don't really remember the music in this at all, but the system wouldn't allow me not to rate it.
Go Ho's Starry Night
Oct 26, 2016
I enjoyed this short series very much. It was a cute office romance and had lots of sweet and funny moments. The plot summary didn't originally grab me, and I didn't plan to watch this at all until I saw a teaser for it. I was immediately intrigued.

This was my first time seeing any of these actors. I would very much like to see the actress that played Go Ho do read more another rom-com. I thought she was quite good. I was also taken with the main male lead. He was quite cute at displaying his jealousy for Go Ho. And I think the chemistry between the leads was believable. I didn't care as much for the second lead, as he just didn't convey any emotion in my eyes. The other side characters, vying for Go Ho's affections are interesting and keep it fun.

The music didn't stand out much, but suited the mood of the scenes.

I think this is a good weekend watch and wouldn't even mind seeing it again.
Beautiful Gong Shim
Jul 19, 2016
I could just cry. This show started out with SO much potential. It started off cute and funny with adorable leads that won my heart. Then about half way through, I started to worry. This is a 20 episode show and the story was starting to flounder. Surely, they will save it and all will be well - I believed this. And those leads - gosh, they are cute! Nearing the end, read more and I am really starting to get annoyed with Writer-nim. What the heck were you thinking Story-Writer??? And then the last episode comes, and I am so sadly disappointed in this show. If they had cut out most of the intense, glaring, staring contests maybe they could have written a tighter story. It's almost like the writer had so many ideas and tried to shove them all in to the show whether they fit or not. There were so many loose ends and "what the heck" moments that I could spend an hour listing them all.

I cannot, in good consciousness, recommend this show to anyone. I really wanted to. I was smitten with Nam Goong Min and Min Ah - those leads were the bright spot in the pile of poo this story became. (And incidentally, this is the first time I've seen either of them act. I've not seen NGM do his villainous roles, but I think comedy suits him.) The story is named after Gong Shim. However, the title character doesn't seem to be the focus of the show in the back half at all. And her sister, who is on the cover as a "main lead" - is relegated to an afterthought. Her story goes NOWHERE. Joon Soo, the other main lead, was likable, but mostly boring. The writers essentially did nothing with his character. The focus of the show ended up with Ahn Dan Tae. They described one story to us, and we got something completely different.

The ending was rushed and the last episode was completely and totally random and thrown together. I felt like they wanted to tie up a lot of loose ends, but they did not even do a good job of that. They had TWENTY episodes to finish this story. There was NO good reason that the ending should have been rushed. I feel sorry for the actors that were involved in this story. I would absolutely watch these actors do another show, and so wish that THIS story had been executed properly.

The Good:
The cast
The music
The comedic moments
The cuteness of the couple

The Bad:
The loose ends
The bait and switch story
The length
The unsatisfactory ending (happy ending, but not done correctly)

The Ugly:
Poorly executed storyline (throw it at the wall and see what sticks)
Characters backburnered and forgotten
Unending glares and stare-downs
What the Heck moments galore

I originally intended to give this drama a score of 7 because I WAS entertained and enjoyed ADT and GS so much. As my husband and I discussed it this morning, my rating dropped to a 6.5, and then by the end of our conversation I had to conclude that (as much as I hated to do it) that this story really only deserves, at best, a 5.5. Sorry show! I wanted to love you!
Dramaworld
Jul 12, 2016
Watch this solely for the meta moments, to laugh at the way it pokes at the k-drama fans and K-drama itself. This is where its strength lies.
The acting is mediocre, as is the story (but that could be part of the intent!). This is very short - 10 episodes running at about 11-12 minutes long, which accounts for why the story wasn't fleshed out better. Think of this as more of read more a parody than a real story and you will probably still be entertained somewhat.
Just don't take the story too seriously and you will still have fun. Try to watch in one go if possible since it's short enough to do so.
The Thieves
Nov 11, 2016
This was a fun movie to watch. The escapades of serial thieves as they make one last heist.

The story was action packed and moved along at a great pace with characters that were interesting. They all played off each other very well. It certainly keeps you on your toes as you watch. And it didn't end like I thought it would at all....there are definitely some plot twists and turns and read more unexpected outcomes. There's also a bit of humor as well, so it's not just action and crime.

This was solidly entertaining and I would watch it again.
My Name is Kim Sam Soon
Nov 11, 2016
This show may be a little hard to review. I realize that I am watching it 11 years late, but I've heard many times what a good show this was....so I thought I'd see what the fuss was all about.

I'm going to start with the characters first because I believe that's where the strength of the show lies. Sam Soon was an amazing heroine. I loved that she was not the read more cookie-cutter drama girl. Sam Soon was chubby and loud and sometimes had a bit of a potty mouth. She was a force to be reckoned with. However, Jin Hun as a hero, was a bit weak. I don't think he was ready for the storm that was Sam Soon. She came into his life and restarted his "clock" which was stunted after a life altering accident. He was stuck in the past, mourning his lost family and lost love Hee Jin...who comes back to Korea just as Sam Soon and Jin Hun are starting to make a connection.
This was where the drama got frustrating for me, even though I continued to watch in hopes that Jin Hun would mature and be a worthy love for our girl Sam Soon. He had his moments where I loved him, and moments where I nearly hated him. The two did have some sizzling chemistry together, but then he would ruin it by saying something childish and mean...I know that his words were not true, and so did Sam Soon, but it was hurtful all the same and I didn't feel he did enough to make up for it a majority of the time. I think Jin Hun also didn't do enough to clear up the inevitable misunderstandings that he caused.
Hee Jin was a second lead female that you couldn't bear to hate, but at the same time just wished she would move on already and not tie Jin Hun to the past that he'd just started to let go of. Henry, played by the handsome Daniel Henney, was a refreshing character who I felt was under-used. His interactions as a non-Korean speaker with Sam Soon, a non-English speaker were a treat as they tried to communicate in broken Konglish. Hee Jin should have snatched that man up right away and forgotten all about immature Jin Hun.

I was entertained by this show and can see where it may have broken a lot of drama tropes for its time. My heart squeezed for Sam Soon many times. Sam Soon wore her heart on her sleeve and it was hard not to be moved by the emotions that she was feeling. I was a bit disappointed by the ending, but it was not a bad ending. I don't care if it would have been cliche, I just expected a little....more.

The hair and clothes in this show are quite out of style now (2016), as well as the technology, but I don't think they detract too much from watching this now.

As a classic K-drama, I would recommend it when you are in a drama lull and need something to fill a void, but I wouldn't say that you need to rush to watch it. The storyline can be a little slow and repetitive - I mean how many times must we watch Sam Soon's heart get broken before she gets her happy ending? My final judgment is that I have a sort of love/hate feeling towards this show. I don't know if I would ever re-watch it or not.
Thorn
Jun 10, 2016
This movie just left me :O
The story was simple, but quietly and effectively told. If you are adverse to mature scenes, this will not be the movie for you. While there is not much in the way of skin shown, a couple of scenes are pretty explicit.
They are not gratuitous, though and they are integral to the story we are being shown. Jang Hyuk's character finds himself in quite the read more predicament for a moment's indiscretion. His student swiftly spirals out of control and so does his life. I can't give away what happens, but the buildup of tension and ultimate climax (no pun intended) left me with my jaw hanging open.

Acting was sensational. The actress that played Young Eun gave me goosebumps. Her portrayal of YE was the best performance in the movie.

Music - don't really remember the music, so it didn't stand out
Re-watch value - marked lower because the punch is gone once you've seen it.
Couple or Trouble
May 23, 2016
This was a fairly simple story. I wondered how they would stretch a drama out to 16 episodes that was based on an average length American movie. They did surprisingly well, even if some of the elements became a little repetitive. I would have liked to have seen the resolution come just a little bit sooner so we could see more "happy couple" time, but for the most part I was satisfied. read more I liked the growth of Sang Shil/ Anna, and seeing her develop relationships with the new people around her. While Sang Shil's words to others may sound cold and calculating, she's not trying to deliberately hurt others. She just speaks blunt truth with no sugar coating to spare their feelings.

The acting and casting were done well. Han Ye Seul's delivery was very dry, but I think that was supposed to be down to her character. Jo Anna is a very blunt character, but we also learn the why behind her seemingly cold exterior. As Sang Shil, a woman that cannot remember who she is or anything about her life, she still carries around that air of a wealthy heiress. Oh Ji Ho was lovable as Chul Soo, and I definitely enjoyed all his smiles. He should do more rom-com as it suits him very well. The 2nd leads were played well. The second female lead was appropriately annoying. And the secondary romance with the older couple was cute and funny. The character of Kang Ja provided several laughs, and I probably enjoyed her character most after the leads because she's also a sympathetic character.

The music was fitting, but of course, still dated since at the time of viewing, this drama is 10 years old.

I enjoyed this for a one-time watch, but I doubt I will re-watch this anytime soon. (This may again be due to the fact that this drama is a lot older at the time I viewed it.)
Warm and Cozy
May 15, 2016
This was worth a one-time watch. That being said, there were several flaws in this story that I just didn't care for, though. I liked the main actress, Kang So Ra as Lee Jung Joo very much, but I wasn't such a big fan of the lead Yoo Yeon Seok as Baek Geon Woo all the time. I understand why he was fit for this role though. Geon Woo was not always read more a likable character for me. By episode 4, I was actively starting to dislike him and was almost holding out hope for the Mayor. I don't know if that was the writer's intention, but I just barely warmed up to Geon Woo when he finally started to mature a little bit. . Although I really liked Jung Joo, both she and Geon Woo were confusing with each other most of the time which was frustrating. The second lead, Mok Ji Won, was also hard to watch. She was a very unlikable character - but, in her case, that was intentional. The push/pull between the leads was nearly just too much for me. Although I did watch and somewhat enjoy the whole series, I would not re-watch. I thought Geon Woo was pretty immature for most of the series, so I had a hard time with Jung Joo faithfully liking him. A couple of scenes in particular really were hurtful. I thought the secondary romance was a good one, and would liked to have seen that explored more, but it probably would have been too much if they had. Some of the backstory was also a little confusing (especially Jung Joo's family realations.) and I'm positive there are some massive plot holes, but if you can overlook most of that, maybe you might enjoy this in spite of yourself.
I know I sound very critical, but it was still enjoyable in spite of the difficulties I had. Kang So Ra makes this worth it in the end!
Something About 1 Percent
Nov 24, 2016
This show is pure cheesy, fluffy, romantic goodness. Yes, it got a perfect 10 from me because I adored everything about this show from beginning to end. The storyline is simple, and it's fast paced considering the episodes are just under 40 minutes each. The writers got right to the heart of this re-make. I've never seen the original, but from what I've gathered, this one has cut out a lot of read more filler and just given us the story of Lee Jae In and Kim Da Hyun's romance.

The actors did a fabulous job in their roles, and the main leads were on fire with the chemistry. There are lots of great kisses too! I found myself smiling a lot while watching this.
If I had one complaint - it's a really minor one - I would say that the last episode wrapped up a lot of story almost too quickly, but it was still very satisfying. But this is not even enough for me to knock my rating down.

This drama is going on my list of favorites just because I love it for what it is - cotton candy sweetness. I will definitely re-watch this just to see all the cute moments again.

USA