kingsqueen

Goblin
Jan 21, 2017
If you are hesitating to watch this at all, please....just throw out your reservations and watch this. Goblin has just made my favorites list. Even my husband got sucked in and loves this show. The cinematography was gorgeous, the music was amazing, the actors were perfect (Hello, Gong Yoo!), the story was heartbreakingly beautiful.

This is the first time I've watched any of the main actors except Yoo In Na. I have read more now officially developed a Gong Yoo crush and understand why drama fans are enamored of him. Gong Yoo as Kim Shin/ Goblin was mesmerizing. I could listen to his voice for days. Every scene he was in was a treat. Every emotion that his character had was palpable, and his smiles could light up the sky.
And Kim Go Eun as Ji Eun Tak was super cute. She had a lot of detractors and the writer got a lot of flak for making her so young. But the character and her age were perfect for this story and how it unfolded.
Lee Dong Wook as the Grim Reaper had the perfect deadpan (heh) delivery. And he may be the best male "crier" I've seen yet.

The story will make you laugh and make you cry. Not only is the love story epic, but so is the bromance between Goblin and Reaper. I've found that I'm quite fond of this fantasy genre and this has been done so well. I have hardly any criticisms of this show at all because even the flaws faded into nothing noticeable for me. It's sweet, funny, romantic, sad, tragic, beautiful...

The music was perfect and perfectly lovely. I don't always pay much attention to the music, but this show utilized it so well and chose the perfect songs. So many people loved even the intro song that they made a special recording of it to make it a full length song (Round and Round, but may also be found under Never Far Away). Beautiful by Crush was the best song in my opinion, and I believe that it was the theme song for our main couple. And Stay With Me by Chanyeol and Punch was another favorite.

Rewatch value is high - if not everything, then there are many, many favorite scenes that I'll go back to and relive the feels. :)
Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
Apr 16, 2017
So how would I describe this show? This story tried to be too much. It was a romance mixed with slapstick humor, and dark thriller. How did those elements combine? Not too well, actually....but the parts that were good were good enough to keep me watching until the end.

This show started off strong and I was loving it up until about a little over halfway, when it dawned on me that read more the story was just kind of nonsense. But the leads are so freaking adorable (and probably every teenage girl's dream fantasy romance) that they kept sucking me back in every week. I said the other day that I didn't think I'd had a girl crush on anyone in a show yet, but Park Bo Young may have reached that status for me. And Park Hyung Shik is almost too pretty - but his acting as Ahn Min Hyuk crushing on Do Bong Soon --- I just "can't even" with him. Too cute for words. They were so cheesy together, but this ahjumma was eating it up. Seriously....this romance is what the show has going for it. But even that is unrealistically done. This show is just fluff....lots and lots of fluff.

The story line is chaotic. There is an evil villain that is just too horrifying to be in a rom-com. It was very jarring to go from sweet romance scenes to a creepy masked kidnapper who is terrorizing young women. And the slapstick antics of the gangsters and the high-school gangsters and the screechy femme planning team leader was funny the first time but became just useless filler that was pretty annoying fast forward material. And a lot of people hated that, although played for laughs, the mom seemed abusive (may be why the writers tried to explain that one away in the final episode.) There were funny parts, sure, but they overplayed their hand with them quite a bit.

The only thing I would rewatch in this show is the moments with Min Hyuk and Bong Soon.

Would I recommend it....sort of. I mean, you'd have to know going in that the story makes no sense, but as a backdrop for a super cute, cheesy beyond belief romance...if you can deal with that then, yeah, go for it. I was entertained for sure (otherwise the rating would be like a 4). But if you need a plot that is logical and a more 'mature' (not THAT kind of mature, but more grown up) romance, then this one won't be right for you.
Jealousy Incarnate
Nov 11, 2016
I love Gong Hyo Jin, and the trailers for this show are what drew me to it. I like the two male leads as well, and this looked to be a fairly fun romance story.

The first half of this show, I was utterly in love with it. I re-watched episodes as I waited for new ones to air. But I made the fatal mistake of falling for the second male lead, read more knowing that the writers would break my heart and his. The show starts off by throwing a huge cast of characters at us, and their relations seem a little confusing at first. But, eventually, all is sorted, and we have ourselves with 3 main love triangles. Pyo Na Ri, who has been in a 3 year one-sided love with Lee Hwa Shin, and then meets and falls for his best friend and ultimate chaebol gentleman, Go Jung Won. This is our main triangle and love story. The others are played up at first but slowly get pushed to the background....just like our 2nd lead. I blame the writers for making Jung Won such a perfect catch (and Go Kyung Pyo for making Jung Won seriously swoony) that he was hard to get over. Whereas, in contrast Hwa Shin could be a perfect donkey's behind...yet somehow you couldn't hate him because he also showed that he cared about everyone in his life as well. He was definitely tortured by his own inner self.

The story had some serious moments that the writers cut with humorous moments, so the weightier matters didn't drag the show into melodrama territory. There were strong characters and great chemistry with ALL the cast members. The writers did a fantastic job with the casting, and it could not have been more perfect. Up until around episode 14, I was sure that this might be the best drama I had ever watched and I fully expected to see it on my list of favorites. But the writers started to make some missteps in the story from my point of view. And I know that the majority of viewers may disagree with me. I did not feel that way simply because my 2nd lead wasn't getting the girl. Hwa Shin was not a bad choice for Pyo Na Ri. They did have some great chemistry together and I could see where the Hwa Shin "shippers" could be all on board with him. But I wasn't as swayed as I could have been and the actions of the characters didn't seem honorable to me in that mid-point. It dampened my love for the show somewhat, and that never fully recovered. Jealousy Incarnate was still a good show and I looked forward to it every week. I think they wrapped up the story well and completely for our main couple. However, they left a lot of loose ends when they backburnered the side characters that were prominent in the first several episodes.

My favorite side characters may have been the doctor and her nurse. Nurse Oh stole every scene she was in, and the doctor was both funny and full of heart.
The music was great - seriously stand out. I'm not normally into the music so much, but there were several songs that I had to hunt down and play for my own enjoyment of them.

Please, do give this show a chance (and push through past the first couple of episodes if it's hard - it's worth it!). You'll have lots of laughter and emotions.
Suspicious Partner
I think this drama started off strong, but lost steam as it went along. The ending episode was meandering and pointless, honestly. It had a happy ending, but was lackluster and bland. I think that if they had cut this show to 16/32 episodes instead of 20/40, they could have written a tighter story. There were some things that got lost in the story, some things that were never explained, and some read more things that dragged on way too long. The romance sizzled in the beginning and then flickered and died, and then when it rekindled, it was barely an ember. One thing that some people liked, but kind of annoyed me was the lighting in the show. Every time the main characters were about to have a real kiss - there was always this bright light shining between them. I guess it was supposed to be artistic? Once would have been plenty for that and it might have been ok, but it happened at least 3 or 4 times.

Most of the actors did a good job. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun are both fantastic actors and I love to watch the play of emotions on JCW's face. NJH is so earnest and sincere in her acting. Choi Tae Joon as Eun Hyuk was such a cutie pie and his awkwardness and his boyish charm and enthusiasm were fun to watch (this was my first show with him.) I wasn't really impressed with Nara or her character. She was bland and we didn't learn much about her. I thought Kim Ye Won was a scene stealer though! KYW as Ji Hye started off as an unlikable bully and a cheater, but she quickly became one of my favorite supporting actors in this show, and I kind of wished she had been the second female lead instead. I loved her snarky comebacks to Yoo Jung - she made me laugh a lot. And Dong Ha, as the villain Hyun Soo, did an amazing job. It's the first time I've seen him in anything that I recall, but he nailed his role.

The music was decent, nothing stand out, but appropriate.

I won't re-watch this. It was ok, but not one of the best I've seen. I think the longer run time severely hurt the pacing.
Healer
May 10, 2016
This show had been in my queue for a while to watch, but I kept putting it off for other dramas until one of my new MDL friends recommended it. I was just finishing up another drama and decided to take the plunge. I'm so thankful for that push. This drama hit all the right notes for me. The storyline was fast paced and interesting. It masquerades as an action drama, but read more there is romance aplenty.
The skinship is adorable between our OTP and they were not stingy with it. (sigh!) The confession scene, as I was promised, was one of the best I've ever seen. And the moments leading up to it were heart-fluttering.
I loved the Eternal Love song which I think was their theme; however, without the backdrop of the story, the song is a little cheesy sounding. The acting was top notch, though. I'm now a fan of both lead actors and hope to see them both in something as awesome as this drama was. They both have the most expressive eyes and cute smiles for days. There are moments that you yell at your tv, but not in a bad way. I just had to warn them! *wink*
The story and characters are very layered and it all unfolds the way it should. I have no criticisms for this drama (unless it's to say that I want MORE. LOL) I will definitely be re-watching this one, as it goes into my top 3 favorite dramas I've watched to date.
My Little Baby
May 6, 2016
This was a super cute comedy! It's a 16 episode drama, but each episode is only about half an hour instead of a full hour long, so this one goes rather quickly and does not get dragged out. This is the first drama I've seen the male lead in - and I really enjoyed him a lot! He has a very cute smile and his character was pretty much a Mr. Perfect. read more He may have been a little bit shy and fumbled his way through learning to take care of a baby, which provided a lot of the comedy, but he was a very loyal and caring person. He had an amazing smile that just lit up the screen, and his interactions with Eun Ae (the baby) were just adorable. I felt like the female lead was a little on the weak side, which was kind of disappointing as I really enjoyed that actress in Let's Eat (btw, the actress that played her friend in that drama is a main actor in this one as well.) Oh Ji Ho as Cha Jeong Han totally carried this coupling. But overall, this was a quick, fun watch. The mom friends that he gained were so funny (especially Boem Soo's mom and her running joke through the series) and provided both comedy and obstacles to overcome. The last 2 episodes were very sweet and induced a few tears (happy ones!) The plot is very simple, but it is a really cute story and I would be willing to watch it all over again.

Note - I didn't give high marks to the music, because honestly, I don't really remember the music in this at all, but the system wouldn't allow me not to rate it.
7 First Kisses
Jan 6, 2017
Honestly, I wasn't even going to write a review for this. It's basically a movie length CF, and I only watched it to kill some down-time at work. The idea was good in theory, but they tried to shove so many (top star) characters into such a short time that it felt WAY too rushed. And the ending episode was even more so. The running time was less than 9 minutes on read more the last one, yet the story ended at around the 5-6 minute mark and they wrapped up with BTS footage.

The story was kind of cringe-worthy, so the only real thing to recommend about it was all the pretty male faces.
I truly cannot even recommend this to anyone unless you are just looking to fill about an hour or so and have nothing better to do.
Queen In Hyun's Man
Oct 7, 2016
This show was pure amazing fantasy romance. It may have been one of the most romantic dramas I have watched up until now. I wasn't sure how I felt about the main male lead before I got into this, even though I knew I liked Yoo In Na. However, he blew me away - he was perfect for this role.

The story was pure fantasy, and it pulled at my heart. Kim read more Boong Do is pulled 300 years into the future when a talisman made by the chief monk and given to him by a woman who has been praying for his safety as a political tug of war is going on in the palace of King Suk Jong. In our present time, he meets actress Choi Hee Jin. Kim Boong Do is a scholar and remarkably smart and perceptive. He picks up things in this future world quickly, allowing him to blend in to modern society when he needs to. However, he has unfinished business back in Joseon. The talisman carries him back and forth, risking his life each time to come back to Hee Jin and going back in order to further his cause. The love that develops with our couple is tender and fraught with obstacles. "To live is to die and to die is to live."

The actors had chemistry galore, and it was probably helped by the fact that these two reportedly started dating during the filming of this show. The kisses were way better than the cliched wide eyed staring kisses - they looked real and passionate. You In Na was adorably cute - both in her funny scenes and when she was sad. You just wanted to hug her and make her feel better. Ji Hyun Woo made me flutter a bit (and to think a year ago I thought he wasn't attractive at all) in this role. He was the perfect romantic lead - he was caring and considerate. If you are looking for a realistic love story, look somewhere else. This is a fairy tale romance in every way. Just settle back and enjoy what they are serving here because your heart will thank you. :) Anyone that is a sucker for romance will love this show.

The music wasn't really noticeable to me until later on in the show. The first couple of episodes seemed somewhat quiet (little to no music)....but in a good way.

I can't rate this show less than a 10, and I absolutely could see myself watching this again some rainy long weekend.
Queen In Hyun's Man gave me tons of romantic feels, and hit every note just right. From the cute and funny moments, to the heartbreak and tears, to the action and tension of how Kim Boong Do would escape with his life once more.
Doctors
Sep 9, 2016
This show started off really well and the backstory/ set up was really promising. However, once it caught up to current times, the plot floundered. There was a real lack of story telling in this drama and I ended up pretty underwhelmed.

The real saving grace of this show was the acting. Kim Rae Won and Park Shin Hye did a great job for the material they were given. There was some read more awkwardness in the beginning of the relationship, but then there was complete comfortableness and next to no drama. I wasn't a huge fan of Yoon Gyun Sang at first, but he grew on me through the run (but they definitely could have styled him better). Lee Sung Kyung was believable as a spoiled lonely rich girl. I enjoyed all the supporting characters save the doctor that played Seo Woo's father. He was so childish and immature that I found it hard to believe he was running a hospital. But the actor did a wonderful job of conveying the spirit of the character. He was immensely unlikable. There were lots of great cameos as well, and the most memorable was played by Nam Goong Min - his episodes were some of the better parts of the floundering middle.

I wouldn't recommend this drama unless you are just a fan of the actors. There is not really a plot to it at all, and even as a hospital drama it was lacking. While it had a promising start, I only finished it because I was invested in seeing it to the end once I realized that the plot was never going to pick back up and that nothing was really happening to our main characters. All the action was happening around them instead.
The Greatest Love
May 30, 2016
I was SO wrong about this drama! Initially I was not interested in this. Although I kept hearing how good this was, it just didn't look good to me (I'll fully admit to judging a drama by its cover a lot...and being wrong a lot!). I finally decided that I was going to take the plunge and see what the big deal was all about.

If you enjoyed Fated to Love You read more or Master's Sun (2 of my favorite dramas), I think you will enjoy this show also. Dok Go Jin reminded me of both Lee Gun and Joo Joong Won - like he was a mashup of both these characters. He starts off as arrogant and self-centered and he can't imagine why he's having feelings for Gu Ae Jung who is not on his "level". And he can also be childish and petty. A character that I was not remotely interested in at ALL became a very beloved character to me throughout this show. And Ae Jung is a sympathetic character - the one who gives and gives.

I would have given this a perfect 10, but the story was really just a simple fluffy romance. But it was a romance story that warmed my heart anyway. It had some flaws in the story, but they did not take away from my enjoyment in any major way. Dok Go Jin's love for Gu Ae Jung was unstoppable. There were cute moments, funny moments, teary moments, frustrating moments...The Hong Sisters really know how to illicit emotion. It may not have been a groundbreaking story, but it was enjoyable and full of heart and I know that I will watch this again. I thought the chemistry between the leads was good, and I enjoyed the secondary characters for the most part. I especially loved "Ding Dong".

I may be over-rating this for some, but I truly enjoyed it despite its flaws. And ratings are entirely subjective. ;) I also loved the way the ending was done. I'm a fan of epilogue moments, and I feel like this story was wrapped up very well with a very satisfying ending.
Go Ho's Starry Night
Oct 26, 2016
I enjoyed this short series very much. It was a cute office romance and had lots of sweet and funny moments. The plot summary didn't originally grab me, and I didn't plan to watch this at all until I saw a teaser for it. I was immediately intrigued.

This was my first time seeing any of these actors. I would very much like to see the actress that played Go Ho do read more another rom-com. I thought she was quite good. I was also taken with the main male lead. He was quite cute at displaying his jealousy for Go Ho. And I think the chemistry between the leads was believable. I didn't care as much for the second lead, as he just didn't convey any emotion in my eyes. The other side characters, vying for Go Ho's affections are interesting and keep it fun.

The music didn't stand out much, but suited the mood of the scenes.

I think this is a good weekend watch and wouldn't even mind seeing it again.
The Thieves
Nov 11, 2016
This was a fun movie to watch. The escapades of serial thieves as they make one last heist.

The story was action packed and moved along at a great pace with characters that were interesting. They all played off each other very well. It certainly keeps you on your toes as you watch. And it didn't end like I thought it would at all....there are definitely some plot twists and turns and read more unexpected outcomes. There's also a bit of humor as well, so it's not just action and crime.

This was solidly entertaining and I would watch it again.
Legend of the Blue Sea
Jan 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Legend of the Blue Sea very much. I was prepared to give this a higher rating than I did, but there were a few things that kept this from being perfect. The story was very good, I enjoyed the reincarnation/past lives aspect and the flashback scenes to the Joseon counterparts. I wish those parts had been able to continue further into the story. The writer really set up her read more myth very well. I've heard some say that it was too reminiscent of My Love From Another Star, and I can see where the set up was very similar in style. I enjoyed all the characters, though, and the writer did put in some good twists to the story. There were a few inconsistencies, but nothing that distracted too much from my enjoyment. And although the ending was good, I felt like it still could have been better. They did a good job at wrapping up, but I didn't feel like they spent enough time with our main couple for the last episode.

This drama was actually my first experience watching Lee Min Ho. I thought I finally got why he was such a "big deal" a few years back. (No, I have never watched BOF and probably won't!) I liked him enough to find another drama of his to watch while waiting for new episodes. While he impressed me fairly well in the first part, I found that he lacked emotional punch in some scenes toward the end which lowered my acting score a bit. Jun Ji Hyun, though, has become one of the actresses that I enjoy very much. She has a great comedic sense and stands out from a lot of the Korean actresses I see. She did an excellent job in this show as well. I thought all the side characters were interesting and well-acted for their roles. Especially all the actors doing double duty as past and present characters.

The music was pretty good, but nothing that was extraordinary. The theme song was cheesy but still somewhat catchy. It's not something I would like or enjoy listening to outside of being the theme song for this show, though. So, it was good for its purpose.

I think this has good rewatch value, even if I myself may not rewatch it.

Overall, I gave this an 8.5. It was a very solid drama and I would recommend it to anyone that likes romance and fantasy elements. I think this show airing during the same time frame as Goblin may hurt its ratings a bit, but it was still a great show and I don't have any major criticisms for it.
My Lovely Sam Soon
Nov 11, 2016
This show may be a little hard to review. I realize that I am watching it 11 years late, but I've heard many times what a good show this was....so I thought I'd see what the fuss was all about.

I'm going to start with the characters first because I believe that's where the strength of the show lies. Sam Soon was an amazing heroine. I loved that she was not the read more cookie-cutter drama girl. Sam Soon was chubby and loud and sometimes had a bit of a potty mouth. She was a force to be reckoned with. However, Jin Hun as a hero, was a bit weak. I don't think he was ready for the storm that was Sam Soon. She came into his life and restarted his "clock" which was stunted after a life altering accident. He was stuck in the past, mourning his lost family and lost love Hee Jin...who comes back to Korea just as Sam Soon and Jin Hun are starting to make a connection.
This was where the drama got frustrating for me, even though I continued to watch in hopes that Jin Hun would mature and be a worthy love for our girl Sam Soon. He had his moments where I loved him, and moments where I nearly hated him. The two did have some sizzling chemistry together, but then he would ruin it by saying something childish and mean...I know that his words were not true, and so did Sam Soon, but it was hurtful all the same and I didn't feel he did enough to make up for it a majority of the time. I think Jin Hun also didn't do enough to clear up the inevitable misunderstandings that he caused.
Hee Jin was a second lead female that you couldn't bear to hate, but at the same time just wished she would move on already and not tie Jin Hun to the past that he'd just started to let go of. Henry, played by the handsome Daniel Henney, was a refreshing character who I felt was under-used. His interactions as a non-Korean speaker with Sam Soon, a non-English speaker were a treat as they tried to communicate in broken Konglish. Hee Jin should have snatched that man up right away and forgotten all about immature Jin Hun.

I was entertained by this show and can see where it may have broken a lot of drama tropes for its time. My heart squeezed for Sam Soon many times. Sam Soon wore her heart on her sleeve and it was hard not to be moved by the emotions that she was feeling. I was a bit disappointed by the ending, but it was not a bad ending. I don't care if it would have been cliche, I just expected a little....more.

The hair and clothes in this show are quite out of style now (2016), as well as the technology, but I don't think they detract too much from watching this now.

As a classic K-drama, I would recommend it when you are in a drama lull and need something to fill a void, but I wouldn't say that you need to rush to watch it. The storyline can be a little slow and repetitive - I mean how many times must we watch Sam Soon's heart get broken before she gets her happy ending? My final judgment is that I have a sort of love/hate feeling towards this show. I don't know if I would ever re-watch it or not.
Thorn
Jun 10, 2016
This movie just left me :O
The story was simple, but quietly and effectively told. If you are adverse to mature scenes, this will not be the movie for you. While there is not much in the way of skin shown, a couple of scenes are pretty explicit.
They are not gratuitous, though and they are integral to the story we are being shown. Jang Hyuk's character finds himself in quite the read more predicament for a moment's indiscretion. His student swiftly spirals out of control and so does his life. I can't give away what happens, but the buildup of tension and ultimate climax (no pun intended) left me with my jaw hanging open.

Acting was sensational. The actress that played Young Eun gave me goosebumps. Her portrayal of YE was the best performance in the movie.

Music - don't really remember the music, so it didn't stand out
Re-watch value - marked lower because the punch is gone once you've seen it.

USA