Proposal Daisakusen (2007)

Rourou
15 of 18 people found this review helpful
Nov 18, 2012
1) The reason I watched this:

The first reason was Yamapi then I read about it in a well written blog by a friend of mine therefore I decided to give it a try.

2) Storyline/Plot:

*Generally speaking, it's a romantic story wrapped up with some comedy and let's not forget the fantasy element represented by the "fairy".

Positive Points:

*I can't think of many positive points in this drama but let's read more speak about the main genres present here:

--->Humor: I think it's the only element that I appreciated it while watching the drama, it's not like I laughed so hard but the funny scenes thrown every once in a while were good to watch even though they weren't freakily present but the random choice of humor was good.

Negative Points:

--->Romance: Considering the fact that this is a romantic story, I haven't felt the romantic atmosphere till the last episodes, I kept waiting and waiting for something lightening to happen yet it was practically the same each episode: No major changing, that's why after watching the first 3 episodes I knew that I have to wait for the end to see the major changing when it comes to romance.

*The story development was really slow as annoyingly slow; you know how the episode will begin and how it will end. The last 3 episodes of the dramas were the most important ones when it comes to story development, other than that it was moving like a turtle.

Story rating 5.5/10

2) Acting/Cast:

*Yamashita Tomohisa:

So Yamapi is one of my favorite actors, he's the sort of actor that I feel happy when I see him on screen not to forget that he's one of the main reasons why I started watching this drama.
Now let's be objective; no matter how much I like Yamapi I have to admit that his acting was really poor in this drama, I haven't felt anything, it's like he haven't delivered a thing that can touch me: Sad but true.
Ken character wasn't good, I liked it at some points but I quickly lost interest in it, the main reason is the slow movement of the drama that made it so dull.

*Nagasawa Masami:

I am not familiar with her as an actress, I hate to admit this but when it comes to acting she was better than Yamapi but that doesn't mean that she was dazzling; she was acceptable.
When it comes to Rei, she was really annoying as a character, I didn't like the character development; it was really bothersome to watch.

*Other Cast: Some the supporting roles lacked development (such as Mikio's character), some of them were fun to watch (Hisashi) and the rest weren't bad; acceptable overall.

*Relationships:

--->Friendship: The only relationship that I appreciated while watching this drama, I enjoyed watching the friendship between Ken, Rei, Mikio, Hisashi and Eri; it seemed pure and pretty strong in a way that makes you want to see more scenes were those 5 are gathered.

--->Romance: I haven't felt any chemistry so it wasn't that great but again it's all due to the slow development of the storyline.

--->The triangle: When I speak about the triangle I would say that it existed while it haven't actually exist; Cryptic right? Well, that's because there wasn't the usual feelings of a triangle when you see Ken, Rei and Tetsuya.

Cast: 8/10
Acting: 6/10.

3) The ending:

"I made it!!" That's what I was thinking when I finished the drama. I knew from the beginning that the major development and the "jump" of the drama will happen at the end, it was all expected.
Since there was a Special after this drama, I don't think it would be considered as an ending yet both of the drama and the Special endings weren't any different.

The ending: 7.5/10.

4) My Impression (How did it affect me):

*This drama had one of the slowest storyline's developments out of all dramas that I’ve seen so far. As a person that have the lowest level of patience, it really played with my nerves, I won't deny that I skipped many parts because like I said you know how every episode will begin and how it will end.
*It's one of those dramas that I wanted to reach the last episode to find out what will happen (even though I already anticipated it), I just wanted to finish and get over with it. It was simply one of the boring dramas that I’ve seen.

*Is this drama memorable: Partly yes. Even though I didn't like this drama, I will remember those boring feelings that I had while watching this and I will remember not to recommend it to anyone that has a slow patience level.

My impression: 4/10.

5) Overall:

*If you're die-hard Yamapi fan then you will like this.
*If you don't mind slow development then you may like this.

*Proposal Daikusen is a drama that you have to wait for the last episode to see the major change; if you don't mind that then I think you won't hate this.

Overall: 6/10.
Sonkido
11 of 13 people found this review helpful
Apr 21, 2012
Well, I must say, as much as I think that Yamapi is cute and all (cute as in kawaii, still), his acting skills need much work. For some reason I don't like Nagasawa Masami, but she was more likeable than way-too-cool-to-actually-act Yamapi (sorry to fans, but most of the times his idol-ness was too transparent in the story). Fujiki Naohito here seems quite a boring character - I mean it's probably the read more role, but for the first time watching him, I felt like that about his characters.
All in all, I actually watched it two times, but I can't say I was left with much from the story.
Jeaniessi
16 of 25 people found this review helpful
Feb 19, 2012
Proposal Daisakusen is a time travel drama that takes a man back in time to right past wrongs. Going into this fresh off Buzzer Beat and Kurosagi I had some high expectations due to Yamapi and my growing appreciation for him. For the most part I really liked this drama.

There were however, some elements that frustrated me. This is the kind of drama where there is an automatic redundancy that comes read more with the plot. Every episode he goes back, fixes a small mistake from his past. I think because of this you have to have a hook to keep the viewer watching. I found myself being frustrated by the many chances given and lost as well as many words left unspoken for too long.

I am thankful this drama was only 11 episodes because anymore and I don't think I'd have been able to finish. I must admit I almost gave up after 8 but due to the acting and the sweetness of the main couple I came back and finished. The characters were charming and I wanted to see if Kenzo would finally get his Rei. In the many sweet moments and scenes of their friendship and underlying love story is where the tentative hook to stick with this over rode the urge to drop it.

The movie/special redeemed this show for me but I will expound more in that review. The editing and directing were also good. I would imagine it is difficult to pull off time travel, past and future worlds and keep up consistency but this drama does it well.

The music didn't really stand out for me. I am giving this a 7 because there are dramas out there that want and need a good OST and some that simply aren't really about the music in the background. I think this drama was fine without a standout OST.

The rewatch value is just medium. Mostly because I know I won't watch again but I am sure others will.

This is a sweet little story. Try and have patience with it and I do think you will be glad you did.
dramafreak007
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
Dec 30, 2013
The following is an EVERYTHING HONEST REVIEW!

Ken was an attractive, smart, athletic, dense guy who was in love with his childhood friend Rei. A love that spanned for 14 years without a SINGLE confession, nothing at all. When he attends her wedding to their old high school sensei Tada who in a way is a pedophile since he liked her BEFORE she was an adult. Man I got a little sidetracked. read more *Cough*. Ken will be given not one, not two, but ELEVEN chances to go back to the past and try to convey his feelings to Rei thanks to a fairy who looks like a middle aged man for some reason. Marvel at the irony of two people who have put themselves in the friendzone. A love story that teaches women NOT to be straightforward with a dense and shy guy no matter how much they DON'T get it, but be straightforward with another straighforward person. Honestly if she was just more straightforward with Ken instead of blaming him... the whole show would be different. A show with the MOST disappointing ending... if you have the inability to imagine, but if you are able to connect the dots then this show has a GOOD ending.

Starring
Ken doll(Ken)
"Strive" Rei(Rei)
Naughty Sensei(Tada)
Greatest Friend Ever(Mikio)
Comedy Act(Tsuru)
Best Girl Friend(Eri)
Not A Fairy(Fairy)
Proposal Daisakusen... wait why is Mikio the only one able to tell that Ken is from the future? When Ken mentioned future stuff Tsuru was also there... oh wait he is a baka never mind.

Cliche Counter
*culture festival*
*baseball team striving to go to koshien*
*male lead is childhood friends with female lead*
wow this show had so few cliches.

In case you guys are unaware this review have a lot of sarcasm based off the Honest Reviews and Everything Wrong With videos about movies. You should check them out on youtube under the usernames Screenjunkies and Cinemasins. Hope you enjoyed the review this is my first time doing this on a Japanese drama.
blackstar_aria
9 of 13 people found this review helpful
May 5, 2011
I chose this drama because i saw Yamapi in it (what other reasons would i need?) lol. I really came to like this drama. Yamapi is given "supernatural" chances at a friends wedding to go back in time and make her fall in love with him and not marry the other guy.

I got frustrated with the character's inability to say what he felt even after all the chances. It read more seemed like the same situation kept happening over and over and over again. He was sent back to a point in time, he is meant to change a situation, he gets scared, makes no progress and then has to return to the current time.

i liked the ending, it was a real clifhanger. (so watch the special)

Although it doesnt engross you into the story- The acting was really good actually, the side stories were intresting and it was funny as well so it was good all around. From the first 3 episodes youll know if you like it or not.
Ginger
4 of 5 people found this review helpful
Jan 25, 2013
I've already reviewed each ep so that's gonna be short...
the story is unique I loved that each ep was special on it's own & it's about a simple basic Idea..."getting the chance to repair your old mistakes" and If it didn't work then face your reality & change now for the future...
it's beautiful, touching & I personally learned many lessons from it ^^
*do your best as long as you read more have time to.
*chance wasted is a chance wasted.
*good friends are gonna be your shelter when you need them.
*fight for your love because it's worth it.
*the past has gone but your future is within your hands.
*it's not always about the "wrong" you did, maybe it's about the "good" you didn't do.
the things Ken done for Rei & the friendship those five had made me really enviable...
the acting was really good & all the side characters did great job...
the music was wonderful...I really loved the song...
and I'll definitely re-watch this...
don't forget about the special or you won't get the full story ^^
gonnabe2pro
3 of 4 people found this review helpful
Jul 23, 2013
I really ended up liking this drama, but it was very very annoying.

Its about ken who travels back in time to the locations of pictures that are shown in Rei, girl he is madly in love with, and Tada,guy she is marrying, wedding. He does this to try to change the outcome of his relationship with Rei.

This does get very repetitive later on, but it is worth it.

The interruptions read more to his confessions are ridiculously stupid at times and too fcking coincidental. It makes you want to drop the show, but these interruptions will be well worth it because when his final confession finally gets heard it is very satisfying. I was actually crying because you could feel the pain he was feeling. I think if his past confessions had gone through it wouldn't have had such an emotional effect as his final one. So even though you will probably be cursing and hitting your head to the wall it is well worth the wait.

I rated the acting an 8 due to some silly times he would clasp his hand to his mouth when he was shock. And the way he acts right when his about to time travel. Its very silly, but I think that was probably just a comical thing they put in on purpose.

Rewatch value is a 7 due to the repetitive time travels.

Over all I did like this drama and i give it a 8.5/10
dramahearts
3 of 4 people found this review helpful
Feb 2, 2013
I'd read about Proposal Daisakusen on MDL before and the storyline intrigued me but I'd never found the time to watch it. However when a Japanese exchange student came to stay at my house and I found him on the couch absolutely cracking up while watching this I decided I had to give it a go asap and I am SO GLAD I did :)

Proposal Daisakusen was definitely one of my read more all-time favorite dramas. I loved how the storyline was very unique and something we can all relate to. Who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to be able to go back and time and fix your mistakes and regrets? Needless to say, I very much enjoyed the storyline and it was great to watch a drama which didn't have the same predictable-ness as many others out there.

One of the things that stood out for me in this drama was the fact the characters were all very realistic. In this drama Ken (Yamashita Tomohisa) is at the wedding of his childhood friend, Rei (Nagasawa Masami), but not as her groom like he wishes he could be. Instead she is getting married to one of their old teachers, Tetsuya (Fujiki Naohito). Now, I have watched enough dramas to expect that Tetsuya would be a horrible man so we are rooting for Ken to go back in time and win over Rei. However, Tetsuya was actually a lovely man and I found this a refreshing change from the typical love triangle as we are conflicted inside just like Rei. Does Ken really deserve to take Rei away from Tetsuya? This felt a lot more realistic to me instead of the typical love triangle and was one of the stand out reasons I enjoyed this drama.

The acting in this drama was a definite 10 for me as all the characters were convincing and I really felt connected to them. I also gave the music a 10 as I really enjoyed the soundtrack. :) As for re-watch value I give this drama an 8. It's the type of drama you could easily just watch your favorite episodes again and skip the ones you didn't like so much as it's a tad repetitive after a while.

After watching this drama you will feel like you've been through a huge big journey with Ken and his friends and you will have learnt many lessons. I know that after I'd finished this journey I definitely felt a sense of life live without regrets :) We're all not as lucky as Ken to be able to relive our past!
BSOfficer69
4 of 8 people found this review helpful
Apr 19, 2013
Honestly, this is one of the worst dramas I've ever seen. Someone mentioning the title to me sends me in an automatic rant mode. I feel like I wasted my life with the 7 or so episodes that I watched.

I came into this drama with high expectations. I knew it was popular and every jdrama sight practically faints over Yamapi. At first I liked it. It's a time travel drama, but read more I liked the idea of being able to travel back in time through photographs. It's original and interesting.

As many others have said this type of drama begs for repetition. He can't confess to her in the first episode because then the drama would be over. The drama delivers zany misunderstandings, close calls, and you actually do want to root for the main male lead Iwase Ken.

What makes me give it such an awful review is how it ends. I ended up becoming tired of the repetitive plot lines and search to see how the drama ended to see it if was worth my time. It is not at all. I wont spoil how it ends, but I will say that the ending is so stupidly contrived and unrealistic that it offends my life. I will say that the future takes place at a WEDDING. Not even a wedding, the reception to said wedding. The main female lead and love interest, Yoshida Rei, is MARRIED the the present time. The only way I could see the ending actually being decent is if they villainize the love rival, Tada Tetsuya, but he is actually a pretty decent guy so it doesn't even a little bit work.

The horrible ending on top of sub-par acting and repetition make me loathe this drama.
purplebichonhorse
2 of 3 people found this review helpful
Oct 13, 2012
The plot of this drama is definitely unique for a RC and I enjoyed the general premise of going back in time to try and fix your mistakes to get a different outcome. What I really didn't like was how long it took Ken to actually speak his feelings to Rei, which made the drama drag. The first few episodes were good, the middle ones were hit or miss, and the very read more last episode or two were good again.

The acting by all parties was ok. Ken's character was a bit flat and uninteresting. Rei's character I enjoyed and I thought her acting was spot on. All their friends had fun characters that added a lot to the story and without them it wouldn't have been as good. Tada-san's character was also a bit flat as well and at first I didn't really care for it at all.

Music- I loved the soundtrack of this drama and the ending ost was great. I'm going to have to see if I can dig up some sheet music for the songs as I liked them so much.

Rewatch value- is so, so as although I may rewatch sometime I think I would skip a few of the middle episodes since now that I know the plot it wouldn't be all that detrimental.
_Muffty_
1 of 2 people found this review helpful
Oct 20, 2012
I already mentioned it in many places many times:
this drama is astonishing!
When I read the description I only thought: 'oh no, another story about a guy who didn't get his girl' and 'What an idiot to want to change it at the WEDDING!'. I absolutely didn't expect anything! So I gave it the first-episode-chance like I always do and......
it threw me off my chair.

You'd never expect it, read more but you get to see a really sweet and clumsy lovestory that begins in gradeschool and just doesn't work out as it could. Watching this drama you find yourself cheering on Kenzou who gives his very best to get his girl, you feel sorry for him when he is frustrated with himself and feel the depth of the whole plot and the complicated feelings the different characters carry. Each one is shown as very important, each and every one of the characters make the story complete. With ProDai your feelings go on a ride with a rollercoaster. Watch it youself: you will laugh and cry, tense up and feel frustrated. And then again you`ll feel nostalgic. That's something pretty special about ProDai. An important moodmaker is the

music: Molgol800's 'Chiisana koi no uta' became my favourite song after this drama. Everytime I hear it I can still see Kenzou running. As you watch this drama you feel like this song encompasses YOUTH. And it makes you feel nostalgic. Its not merely backgroung music. no. It symbolizes the highschool time of the friends, their jokes and funny times.(the fun didn't end with HS) The music makes the mood. That's the same for all dramas but I never felt it as clear as in ProDai. These songs can really touch your heart(no exaggeration)

rewatch value: This is a drama you can watch as many times as you want. There may be good ones out there you can only watch once caus' they are too tragic or have too many surprising contents, but Prodai isn't one of them. I can't really count how many times I watched it...

Overall:
This is absolutely not meant to be a hymn to this drama. I have to confess that one reason I first set sight on it was yamapi. But you'll be surprised. The story has depth, the characters have humour( a whole lot) and the actors play their parts more than acceptable. If you're still reluctant then give it a first-episode-chance like I did. For all who persisted until this point: thx for reading.
HALLELUJAH CHANCE!
Kirasaka
7 of 8 people found this review helpful
Jan 29, 2014
This was just an amazing drama ! When I started , I though it was going to be a average drama ! But boy was I way off ! It truly is a master piece ! How he tries to win back his love .Also, I love the different take on this one . Time traveling back in to the past and chaining things to make a better future (this reminds me read more of Nine Times Time Travel :where the main character travels back in time and figures out its consequences after words ) It is cute and nice drama !
Proposal Daisakusen

Fuji TV
  • Duration:

45 min.

• Score:

7.6 (scored by 3,340 users)
  • Ranked: