Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim

• Aired On: Monday, Tuesday
  • Network: SBS
  • Duration: 60 min.
  • Genres: Romance, Drama, Medical
  • Rating: 15+ Restricted (violence & profanity)

• Members: 8,234

Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim (2016)

Jasmine
Jan 17, 2017
Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim is a thought provoking and quirky drama that thrives off the strong character development and heart-pulling patient cases that are seamlessly interwoven with the main characters' own storylines.

I should say that I love medical dramas though. As an aspiring doctor, RDTK really made me think about the responsibilities of a doctor that extend past the operation room.
I began to watch RDTK because of Seo Hyun Jin but I stayed for Han Seok Kyu. Dr.Kim's complexity and romantic ideals of a character pulled me in, made me curious, and is essentially the anchor of the whole show.

What constitutes as a 'good' doctor? Essentially, the story revolves around that question that seems to have a simple answer; however, there's no real right or wrong answer and everyone has their own definition of a 'good' doctor. Philosophies and ideologies clash and it's just utterly fascinating to watch as morals are questioned and consciences are tested in the face of moral dilemmas.

Asides from the philosophical questions, hospital politics, and the emotional patient stories, the romance also holds its own in this already plot packed drama. The romance, while not at the forefront of the show, is a slow burn that keeps you wanting more, and when it finally happens, it is so satisfying. Gotta love the slow burns that are worth waiting for.

The whole cast of Doldam hospital seems like a big family. Side storylines are interesting, bromances are fun, and the verbal fights are satisfying.

Even if you don't like medical dramas, please don't pass up on this drama. RDTK is a a human drama, about human emotions, actions, and consequences. It poses interesting questions about society and humanity. I really enjoyed this unique drama that is honestly extremely different from other dramas I've watched before. If anything, at least give RDTK a try to see if it's up your alley!

Wednes
May 19, 2017
Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim is very heartwarming and teaches you so many lessons – I finally understood that after I finished watching. Despite the high rating this drama receives on MDL, I did put this one off for months for the fact that the poster and the title suggest a very melodramatic non-romantic drama. How ironic.

I'm glad I finally gave it a try. This one is going to be on my top 5 for a very long time. It's a perfect mix of medical, comedy and romance. Yes, there is great comedy if that's what you normally look for. I would vote this as an equivalent to the American TV series 'House MD'.

First of all, out of all Asian medical dramas I've seen, I really think this one has done the best job. It doesn't take medical elements too lightly, yet it doesn't get too obsessed with 'showing off' medical knowledge either. The story sets inside a hospital, it progresses as they treat patients, there's blood, there's surgeries, and they definitely make you believe everything is real and enjoy every procedure at the same time.

The characters are probably the show's forte. Everyone is great at what he/she does. There are a lot of dramas/movies that go for the 'clumsy' or 'unskilled' main characters who get by because of their 'cute' or 'nice' personality and basically 'pure luck'. That kind of characters belong to romcoms. Romantic Doctor's characters are rather smart in a very likable way. They're not too good to be true also. They do make mistakes, and they also teach you a lot of lessons as they fix them. Characters from main to even some small patients develop in a very satisfying way.

At the same time, the titular character Teacher Kim is the gem of the show. His every word combines into countless inspirational quotes. He's witty and funny and can be sarcastic at times, yet he's very dependable like a father figure to so many characters in the drama. The term 'romantic' isn't used that often in the drama to describe him, however. I did expect that to happen since it's the title of the show. But after watching the entire show, I finally understand why he calls himself like so. "Romantic" here is as in his 'positive, idealistic, hopeful yet realistic' view of life. It's not the 'love and relationship' kind of romantic. It's not about him and his love interest at all. I rather find this point refreshing.

There's also comedy in this drama – actually there is a lot more comedy than you can imagine. Teacher Kim's frequent sarcastic remarks are already funny enough, and the quirky supporting characters add a lot to that. It's not the slapstick kind of comedy, by the way. You've got to know that the tone of this drama is not dark or melancholic at all just because it's set in a hospital and the poster looks gloomy. I smiled and laughed a lot.

Compared to other romance-medical drama, I'd say this one has less romance. Still, it's definitely there. In down moments when they take a break from their main medical scenes, the romance will keep coming back to remind you that it's there, and it's really cute and worth the wait.

I really liked the cast in this one. Everyone has done an amazing job at portraying their roles. I'm so glad they don't go for the unrealistic good-looking doctors. Honestly, this might be a disgrace to the actors, but I'd say they're good-looking just enough to look believable as doctors – not as models walking around the hospital like some medical dramas go for.

Also, after finishing this, the drama special 'Master Kim's First Love' is a must-watch. It should even be considered the 21st/final episode of this series because a lot of unanswered questions will be answered there. It makes the entire show complete.

I don't remember any song from this drama, but I still think it's a medical drama, so OSTs aren't their main point. I also don't choose to re-watch a drama very easily. I wouldn't choose to re-watch this one so soon also because I personally don't need to see all those technical scenes over again. I gave it a fairly high 8/10, however, to honor such a great drama.

I had an amazing experience, and you will as well.

EDIT: I just found the full OST album of this drama, and, wow, it's got an entire album full of quality compositions. If you take time to appreciate them one-by-one with headphones, you'll feel the passion of this drama from it. Still, I'm not changing my scores because this good music barely received spotlight during the show.

xXabsintheXx
Jan 31, 2017
First of all:
If the only thing that keeps you from watching this drama is the title, just ignore it. Give it a chance and you may be surprised by it. It's a story that tells about doctors who try to protect their ~romantic ideals and about doctors who yet have to come to their own ones as they grow with their difficult tasks day by day (and sometimes have to be pushed into the right direction). It's a story that shows what doctors can be like if society and power-ruling wouldn't interfere and darken single souls. Though this doesn't mean the drama is free from money-driven betrayals that go along with the main plot. It's still a k-drama thing.

Some of you may already know Han Seok Kyu and some of his works. If so, you might already belong to his fans. If not, this drama would be an excellent first try to get to know this wonderful, brilliant actor. His acting alone is worth a 10 and I have no doubt that he will also cast a spell over you - like he did with me some time ago.

His co-actors and co-actresses shouldn't be disregarded either. Though they might not yet reach the level of this acting senior, they did a very good job themselves in supporting the story. I liked many of the face to face dialogues as they gave special light to the respective characters and left quite the impact sometimes. But what I really loved and appreciated in this drama were all those small cases that happened all the time (and that helped keeping the pace and suspense of the story). Most times the guest actors were great with their short appearances and their stories really touched my heart. And I was pleased to see doctors deeply care for their patients in a way I imagine a doctor to be.

But although the drama itself was pretty good, I just had to take off a point. I got irritated every time an emergency occurred and they just stood there, arguing with themselves, arguing with others, having the whole staff watching them while nobody is actually working. I do get that doctors are humans, too, and they can have a bad day or feel bad or whatever. But the whole thing doesn't work when everyone plays along and nobody sees the actual emergency right in front of their eyes. A problem many medical dramas face and sadly, Romantic Doctor couldn't escape that cliché either. Although it's not as bad as I've already seen it in other dramas - this one is still bearable.

So, overall a great show worth watching - either you get bothered by the flaws mentioned above or you just ignore them. Your choice on missing out this wonderful drama or not ;)

Irene
Sep 22, 2017
This is how medical dramas should be done!

All of the medical cases were weaved into the story seamlessly. Excellently executed. Great characters. Master Kim embodied the righteous teacher you would want to learn from, who had made mistakes and had learned from them. He was such a mentor to the younger doctors in the hospitals. He inspired them. He also stood up for them, in many satisfying scenes.

I've seen a number of Korean medical dramas, and most of the time the surgery or medical cases only served as plot devices to move the story further along. More often than not, it was difficult to be invested in the cases. However, with this drama, each medical case really brought along a lot of emotions and drama, as you learn not just from the doctors, but also from the patients.

This drama especially reminds me of early days Grey's Anatomy. Lots of heart. Lots of tension. Satisfying to watch when injustice is overturned, which the doctors face on an almost daily basis.

The romance, while light in this drama, is well done for its realism.

Watch this if you are in the mood for a medical drama and you will be drawn in by the doctors at Doldam Hospital, who put saving the lives of their patients above all else, as true modern day superheroes. Be prepared to drop some tears!

Jan Nah
Jan 20, 2017
I love this series. Everyone portrayed their role very well. Highly recommendable to everybody especially in the field of medicine. Good job!
Rule
Jan 20, 2017
Liked the drama a lot.
All the characters are likeable and had good chemistry with each other.
even the medical cases were interesting.
Teacher KIms character is very interesting, and his relationship with his students although different with each student is so nice.
The basic story revolves around him. There is little romance but its sweet.
Overall a good drama,
FofiSafiera
Mar 29, 2017
Highly recomended this drama.. their story is very interesting.. with good actors, so the sory line is so realistic.. Yoo Yeon Seok and Seo Hyun Jin can make a good chemestry with their acting.. Han Suk Kyu ahjussi make this drama like daebak with his acting.. just little romance but so touching.. they can make this drama so much fun with medical background.. not like other medical drama who always make so much romance in their story.. no triangle love line, they have their own romance.. i've rewatchung this drama over and over again.. cuz this drama is so charming, good story with little skinship but their romance can be shown ..

WonByungHoon
Jan 25, 2017
First of all theres nothing really romantic about teacher kim the title is misleading. The romantic one is kang dong joo. Teacher kim is very stern cold and bad ass . He doesnt have a girlfriend or wife so theres no romance with him. Kang dong joo on the other hand has a great story line and he oozes all sorts of romance. Its a good doctor show and has that one bad guy that wants to destroy the main character all the way to last episode. I watched it weekly so i dont remember the theme song. Anyways good show
Itsme Eiei
Jul 11, 2017
Best of the best drama ever. This is my first medical drama and I wasn't be disappointed at all. Really worth watching. Every thing is so real. The operation scenes are the best. I got many knowledges and inspirations from watching this drama. It better than other medical dramas. I couldn't believe that I can watch the scene that human was being cut and the blood was out in all 20 ep. This drama made me cry like crazy. Love Love Love this drama.
May 11, 2017
Given the start to accompany "Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim", until the arrival of the first curve for the drama give that basic slip on the scene mistakes.
Before "down the wood," the cast was show, Seo Hyun-Jin and Yoo Yeon-Seok "beautiful, good couple" of Korean is that much of the productions keep the line of jobs in the actors, that is, if in drama "X" was a doctor, will continue medical or other similar function, are not all productions, but I think super cool this attitude, gives a natural veracity sensational ...
Now the boring part of "getting down the firewood", right away, a medical error, we do not use anesthesia to calm someone, let alone an escort, another point, only an anesthetist can administer anesthesia, that is, beautiful error for premiere.
Mistake two, metal rod scene, when the arterial bleeding begins before the blood starts to gush, it sneezes after it releases the pressure, something natural, the problem is that in the patient it hardly practically expires with enough force to hit the Face and coat of the doctor, the next scene in Yoon Seo-Jung's coat and face (Seo Hyun-Jin) is as if the blood had sneezed, detail, that is not a sneeze but rather sprayed, it is visible that it was sprayed, Giving false sensation in the scene, I have seen a lot of medical drama and can do better, that blood is also very false, blood that looks like juice of currant, lack density, could put more natural coagulant in this starch ...
And as if by magic the hospital has moved, notice that the facade and the place where the hospital is now is totally different from the hospital seen in the first episode.
It is logical that the facade be different because Professor Kim started to "extort" Chief Shi, so improvements in the hospital appeared, such as security cameras that had not before, a bottle of alcohol gel in the beds, the problem is that the external environment delivered.
When she bangs on the fourth episode of Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim can be summed up as being "dramatically funny," five times better than "Doctor" is a drama that holds the attention of the viewer.
The cast was fundamental and the good acting are fundamental pieces, you need a harmony of these two, so that the drama can be good, history and soundtrack do not make a drama, it is necessary to know how to measure and to integrate all the aspects that form the Drama and Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim fits into all these minutely harmonic requirements.
From a negative perspective, the fact that censorship is present, we had a censorship scene, which I do not like at all, but it does not get in the way.
Also after four episodes already can be deduced of how, more or less will be the end of the drama for each character, for spoiler issues I will not go beyond.
As the story progresses the comedy has slowed, giving way to more dramatic moments.
Curious part is a stretch of road where they show the cyclist training, has been the scene of cycling tournaments in the past, do not know why they were pedaling on the opposite side of the bike path where they should be.
From the first to the last episode there are no episodes without salt, all follow in a good rhythm of comedy, suspense and drama. Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim, closed with a golden key, being the leader of the average audience and vice versa in the country between 22:00 and 23:00.
The last episode desires to be desired, had some pretty good parts that do not even make sense. In general, excellent drama, I wanted to be able to watch more, maybe make a series, difficult but not impossible. More than recommended!

Anton
May 27, 2017
I started to watch this drama because of reviews that said it was the best medical drama out there, I don’t know if it’s the best, but it’s certainly entertaining , is fast paced and doesn´t get stuck in one point of the story.
The word "romantic" I think it suits the drama, the story is about the romantic ideas of what it is to be a doctor vs the reality, all this sounded very good and would have been better if the story had been better written, the Drama is full of clichés and inconsistencies and doesn’t go deep enough in all these emergency cases in which there are important issues like life and death as well as the ethics of a doctor that might have been important if it would have been treated in a more realistic way, it only mentioned these issues superficially and worse still ends up giving moral lessons, "family is the most thing important even if they despise you" "If you are ambitious, you have a very pure motivation or a very perverse one "and so many more lessons taken from makjang dramas. The romance in this story wasn’t really necessary, and it was only interesting in the first episode, the drama about Professor Kim’s past and the rivalry for power with Do Yoon Wan it was interesting at times but it was exactly the same as in other korean medical dramas. The best part was the medical part, really well done but it was a bit unrealistic since at one moment they had 2 patients and little staff and 5 episodes later they had 3 more doctors and 20 patients with very specific diagnoses (I mean…. How?)

I saw that everyone liked the performance of Han Seok Kyu as Professor Kim, but I was more surprised by Yoo Yeon Seok as Dr.Kang the only character I found to be more realistic who faces his ambition, his romantic ideas every now and then And his ethics during almost all the drama, the only character with a real development. Jin Kyung as the nurse Oh, Seo Eun Soo as the resident as well as Han Seok Kyu I thought their performances were good, the other supporting actors I think they also did a good role, my only problem was Seo Hyun Jin with her exaggerated acting in almost all episodes, her character had nothing interesting except her past but she could have done much better, the drama could have been better with another actress or without this character, I don’t know how she went from Another Miss Oh to this Lousy performance.

Kim Hye Soo was definitely the greatest actress of this drama, she only appears in the last episode, I don’t know how the producers didn’t hired her for the entire drama, she was the best thing that this drama had and o she only was in a few scenes, if you haven’t seen the special episode I recommend you to see it only for her.

Honestly, I don’t remember the music. I would rewatch this drama although maybe not all episodes, and just because I enjoyed almost all the medical stories.