What's Wrong With Secretary Kim (2018) poster

Some Korean Kid
Jul 26, 2018
A drama doesn't have to have a well-written story and deep character development in order for it to be enjoyable and good. Mydramalist should really add a "enjoyment" rating alongside the story, acting, music, and rewatch value ratings because some shows such as Secretary Kim aren't the "brilliant masterpiece" drama that some people are looking for, but are still a neat cute amusement ride that casual kdrama watchers can enjoy.

As soon as the drama finished, I saw a lot of reviews here that criticized how cringy, forced, and cliche the romance story was, and how shallow the characters were. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but that doesn't take away from how enjoyable and funny the cringy, forced, and cliche romance story was. The characters were shallow, but they were still funny and likable in many aspects. The point of the show isn't to come off as masterfully written story that leaves the audience in awe at every turn, but rather just to be an easy lighthearted drama for romance-comedy lovers to enjoy during their free time.

On the other hand, I've also seen people rate the story a 10/10, and calling Secretary Kim one of the best romance-comedy dramas of all time, which I'm going to have to disagree with. The reason being that there have been other romance-comedies such as Coffee Prince and Secret Garden that simply had a better story line, had more relatable characters as well as character development, and overall were a lot more memorable and enjoyable than Secretary Kim.

The overused story in Korean drama fantasy land of rich chaebol company owner male falling in love with the innocent female who is not-so-rich and is working hard to pay her [family's] debts and bills. Ha, the classic. Nothing much to analyze but it's yer old same old same old happily-ever-after romance-comedy story in Korean lala land. Although, if there is one thing to touch on, I personally did not like the dark childhood past of Lee Yeong Joon and Kim Mi So. It was even more forced than the romance in the show, and it didn't add anything to the show as a whole. In fact, I would go as far as to say that took away from the show because it tried to be something the show wasn't (a touching, dark show) and failed miserably at it. Somebody feel free to tell me exactly what the point of that past was besides to force down the audience's throats that our two protagonists were destined to be together because they had a bizarre past experience with one another as children. Moreover, because of this useless past childhood story, I feel like the drama killed the "supposed to be second lead" character in Yeong-Joon's brother, Lee Sung Yeon. That character was annoying for most of the story, and the show tried to make us pity him towards the end, but I just couldn't see the point of his character at all. What a complete waste of Lee Tae Hwan's character. I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be an antagonist character, but he ended up just being an annoying nobody .

I see people talking about how draggy the story was, but I actually felt the story was fast-paced in comparison to other korean romance comedies I've seen. I mean seriously sometimes kdramas take numerous episodes for the main character to realize he is in love with the girl, and then another few episodes to finally tell/show the girl he likes her, and then another few episodes until they're finally in a relationship. At the very least in Secretary Kim, that draggy "I think I like you" part is completely skipped and they jump right into the meat of the romance rather than the annoying "be a dick to the girl until she realizes somehow through a fateful incident I was always there for her." Now that I think of it, I guess Lee Yeong Joon did kind of do this... But no matter, the romance didn't feel as draggy to me as other romance-comedy dramas which I appreciated.

The acting was definitely the highlight of this show, and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the drama without Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young, along with all the side character actors such as Kang Ki Young, Hwang Bo Ra, Pyo Ye Jin, Kang Hong Suk, and literally everyone. A big thank you to all the actors in this drama for making the show what it was. They weren't charismatic or anything crazy impressive, but they sure as heck did their job in livening the cringy and cliche as heck roles.

Also, I just want to mention how amazing Park Min Young pulled off the clothing she wore in this drama. I heard she started a fashion trend in South Korea with her secretary clothing.

Music wasn't anything really impressive, and there wasn't a real soundtrack that really caught my eye, but there were a lot of okay songs so I'll just give it a 7/10.

I usually don't re-watch dramas because I don't feel the same kind of enjoyment or excitement when I already know everything that's going to happen or be said. The only dramas I re-watch are the ones with scenes/lines that really help me move forward in life when I'm feeling sad or tired. I feel like the re-watch value for Secretary Kim would be rather low, considering it's all about the heart-fluttering scenes and the childish forced comedy that after watching the drama once, you would know exactly what would happen and it's no longer as heart-fluttering or funny as the first time through when you watched it without expecting it.

Overall, I gave the show an 8 because it was highly enjoyable and I found myself smiling and having a good time which really is the point of spending hours of our lives watching dramas right? If a show is enjoyable, it has done its job. I would recommend this drama only for those who enjoy lighthearted romance-comedies and aren't picky with how "well-written" the story and characters have to be. Anyone looking for anything serious, tragic, or thought-provoking, this is not the drama to watch. Even if you want a romance drama that has a dark-side and will have you crying and dying to know what happens next, this drama is not the one to watch. This drama was purely for cute comedy relief and complete nonsense romance.

This is just my opinion on this popular show. Everyone will have differing opinions on dramas, nobody's ratings are right or wrong; all ratings are subjective. Just enjoy yourself and try not to hate too hard on other people's favorite shows~

MaruChan61
Jul 28, 2018
May contain little spoilers, and it's just my opinion..

I just finished the last episode, and I think it's a first time when I skipped almost all MAIN LEADS scenes in it..! Well, usually it doesn't get to this point, because I simply drop the drama if I feel this way.. But this one was such a hit, plus I was watching it for a long time, and it was kinda nice.. Maybe till 14th episode.. Or maybe till 10th..
Ok, when I started it, it was very fun - the humor was great, the leads looked great together ( there was never doubt about this), and everything seemed new and fresh.. I don't even like romcoms - too much cheeseness is not for me , but I started it because I like PMY and PSJ, and well, needed something to watch :) So for a first episodes I really enjoyed it- it was a good office comedy with very attractive leads. Then, after the story from the past started to unfold, it was fine by me too - I know,many complained about this, but for me it was ok - as long it added something to the story, and we had actual plot.. Then - in pretty early stage I'd say, the mistery was resolved, and for the rest of the episodes it was nothing but romance.. First, how they got together, then how they managed to be together etc... There was never any serious fight between them, never any obstacle - it was all ''cute'' romance with small talks and yes - great looking kisses and glances, but nothing more! I know, most people are actually looking for this stuff - many sweet moments between the leads - but is it really enough, when there's nothing more beside this?..
Don't get me wrong - I love romance too, but for me to love the couple I need to wait for them, to miss their moments, wondering what will happen to them - then ,when I finally get what I want, my heart flutters when I see their scenes! I even may skip other scenes to finally see my otp! But here, in the end I skipped the leads... No matter how explosive their chemistry was and how stunning they looked together, but I still got bored..
Now, what I really liked and enjoyed, was the office team - they were adorable and cute, every each of them! I liked how united they were, and both office couple were great! At least it was fun to watch them after same repetitive scenes of the main couple!
It wasn't the worst thing that I watched , but I think it's very overrated! I'm not hating - as I said, I like both lead actors, but it was my opinion about the plot of this drama..

CrusadingAngel
Jul 26, 2018
What's Wrong With Secretary Kim is a drama mainly about a vice chairman and his secretary. One day, secretary Kim decides that she wants to quit her job as a secretary. Lee Young Joon, vice chairman, goes on a quest to find out why she wants to quit. Throughout this quest, the two begin to learn more about each other. They start to fall in love and hilarity ensues. Does my little summary interest you? If so, I recommend you go watch the drama immediately! Otherwise, please keep reading to find out my thoughts about this amazing show!

Story [8/10] The story isn't exactly anything new or mind-blowing. Why does it deserve a 8 for the story then? The thing this drama does well is it does its comedy and romance very well. The story is your typical rom-com in the sense that you know how it's going to end. You start out with two people who meet. They fall in love. We see some angst in their relationship and bam they end up happily every after at the end. This drama is not too bad in the fact that the middle of the story is not to predictable even though the ending is easy to predict.

My main complaint from this drama isn't really the plot. As you can still have great k-dramas without complex plots. The thing that bothers me is the fact the characters are one dimensional (in addition to the simple plot). You can literally describe a lot of the characters in the drama in one word. I.e. You have a character who is the narcissist, one who who is loyal, one who is the klutz, another character who is frugal, and one who is lustful. If you've watched the drama, you probably know who I'm talking about. I find that stories that deserves a 10/10 has stories/characters that the viewer/readers can relate to and make connections with. I had a hard time making connections in this drama since the characters all seemed very unreal. I do realized that it's a drama and things are dramatized. However, at the same time, I don't believe the drama deserved a 10 in the story department (although I wanted it to be a 10). Hence I'm just giving some reasons as to why I docked points from the story category. This drama does great in the rom-com department, but not so great in the character development department.

Acting [10/10] The acting/cast in this drama was fabulous! I am especially a big fan of the two MC's acting. I especially loved their facials expressions. There are some pretty good kisses in this drama too if you know what I mean ;). My favorite one is probably the "chair push kiss". Someone should make a meme out of that. I also really loved Park Min Young's facial expression during the many comedic scenes. It's like she knows how to make the perfect face for the right moment. I was already a fan of Park Min Young and Park Seo Joon. However this drama has made me an even bigger fan now!

Music [9/10] I generally don't give music scores higher than an 8. However, I must say this drama did a very good job with the music. The music often made funny moments even more funnier. Other times it made awkward moments even more awkward. I think you essentially get the gist of what I'm trying to say here. The music in this drama helps put you in a certain mood when you hear it. Not many dramas do a very good at this. Often times the music is barely noticeable and does nothing to make a certain scene in a drama better. That's not the case here.

Rewatch Value [8/10] I also don't generally give out a high rewatch score. As most dramas are often a one and done kind of thing. However every so often you find a gem where you feel like a part of you is missing after you finish watching it. What's Wrong With Secretary Kim is one of those dramas. It makes me sad that this drama is coming to an end. There were so many moments where my emotions were bursting through because of a certain episode. Some times I was angry at the MCs for being annoying. Other times I'm anxious for the MCs because I want their relationship to go well. MOST IMPORTANTLY I spent a lot of time laughing while watching this drama. I would give this drama a 10/10 if we had emotional involvement as a new category.

Overall the story is probably the weakest link in this drama. Although a 8/10 for story is still great (in my subjective opinion). However, I often like to bring up both the good and bad thing about the drama. The drama does not get a perfect score for the story from because it's sort of your typical rom-com plotline with some one-dimensional characters. On the flip side it gets a 9 from me because it does its rom-com moments very well. You can feel the romance and the drama makes you laugh every single episode. It's probably one of the best rom-com I've seen in a while, if not to date!

The acting/cast is probably the strongest link in this drama. One of the things I noticed a lot in this drama is the facial expressions from the MCs. I really loved Park Min Young and Park Seo Joon's facial expressions in this drama. As I felt like their faces really added flavor to certain situations and made everything seem more realistic and hilarious. The music was also a very great asset in the sense that it played up certain moments. It made certain cute/funny/awkward scenes go from a 9/10 on the cuto/funnio/awkwardo meter to an 11/10!

All in all, this drama excels in many areas. It's definitely one of the best(rom-coms) dramas of 2018 that I've watched so far(what a great year for good dramas!). I recommend you go and watch it if you haven't already.

Unnursvana
Jul 27, 2018
It’s been a long time since I was this found of a Korean rom-com. Even if it follows some very standard rom-com elements I do think this it managed to shine all on it’s own. It was a very well made rom-com.

If you strip away all the fun, colorful characters and the cute and fun scenes that were sprinkled all over the drama the main story really isn’t that special, but the characters and the brilliant chemistry between the main leads make it work. And that is the reason why you are watching. They sell the show.

There might not be a whole lot of story there at times it never really fails to amsuse you or make you smile. I never felt bored watching these episode and most of the time they felt really light and fun. And I think that is what rom-com should do, in a way.

Recently Kdrama rom-coms haven’t really been working their magic on me, so finding one that did felt so nice. Very often I think these shows start of well - or in a way that interests me - but after a while I just get bored. But with Secretary Kim that didn’t happen. I sometimes watched these episodes again while I was waiting for new ones and that’s rare for me.

I said before that Why Secretary Kim did have elements of very standard Kdrama rom-com; with the rich CEO with too much ego and the hard-working yet poor heroine that takes most things with a smile and there is a tragic back story thrown in there as well for some drama.

But Why Secretary Kim tried to make that work to the best of their ability and for the most part they succeeded. I didn’t think the more dramatic storyline overshadowed the fun stuff and dragged the mooed down. And it didn’t drag on forever and ever. There were some that thought the story had ended after that got resolved, but since I thought that was the most boring part of the drama and I just enjoyed it for the characters and the main couple and all of that, I really enjoyed that part.

I never felt that was an awful lot on the way of the main couple. Not disapproving-family members or something that was too much of a road-block. Most things got resolved relatively quickly since the characters very often talked to each other or talked it out with someone else about the problems they were facing, so there were no misunderstandings that dragged on forever. The drama focused a lot on the dynamic between the characters and their relationships and I think that tributes to the drama just being really light and easy to watch.

The success of the drama is mainly because of the chemistry between the main couple and a lot of the drama was just about their relationship and them getting to know each other better (outside of work).

Also the main character of this drama was always Mi So. Park Min Young really shines in this role. We saw things through her eyes - sometimes the focus was on Young Joon, but that was mainly to highlight a certain point or something. But unlike so many shows her story was never put on the back-burner for the sake of the male character’s storyline. There was a nice balance there. And they both got a chance to grow.

I also felt like they managed to make some of the side-characters more deep and have them serve some kind of purpose by making them be there for the main character and talk about their issues with them and give them their own problems and the characters all supported each other, especially the ladies. They were not always just there for comic-relief, which also made the drama more fun. One of the few dull characters was Young Joon’s brother.

Like Young Joon’s friend, played by the brilliant Kang Ki Young (one of the best characters in the drama, aside from Mi So). I was genuinely excited whenever he or some of the other side-characters came on the screen. Sometimes I just think they take up space and time from the main couple, but not in this drama.

There was something really fun and nice to finally watch a rom-com like Why Secretary Kim after so much time had passed since I had genuinely liked a rom-com this much (the last time I wrote a review for a rom-com was 2014). It never had to grow on me and I didn’t get bored of it after few weeks. I didn’t have too high expectations but this show very quickly won me over and I am so happy about that. And while the story maybe wasn’t that grand or meaty, and some might say that not much happened, I never really got bored of this show. Not a single episode. I just had a lot of fun.

kingsqueen
Jul 27, 2018
It could be that I'm rating this a little generously - but for 14 episodes I was totally in love with this sweet and fluffy romantic comedy. The last two episodes are where it faltered for me. Park Seo Joon was flawless here, and I can't complain about him in any way. And the comedy was gold. I wasn't disappointed with the final moments, but I would say that episodes 15 and 16 were pretty much completely filler material as they had run out of story and needed to stretch the time. I've been known to comment that I would be happy just watching my OTP be happy and in love, but it turns out that I do, in fact, need to see some actual story - even if it's weak. LOL!

Again, PSJ can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes right now. He's pretty to look at, has good comedic timing, and his romance scenes were believable and tingle-inducing. Who else could make such an arrogant guy lovable and sweet? Park Min Young - started out really well. She looked sharp, had pretty smiles, and great bantering. And my goodness- THAT PONYTAIL!! Props to the ponytail! :) But I wasn't always fully convinced of Mi So's affections towards Young Joon because of how PMY acted. I've not read the webcomic that this is based on, so I don't know how true the adaptation is to the source material. In the last two episodes, her passiveness toward Young Joon was awkward and lacked any of the passion that had been building from the rest of the story. Pyo Ye Jin as Ji Ah, was super cute, but she seems to have been typecast into similar roles now. I did enjoy her in this and hope to see her in more roles soon. Hwang Bo Ra as Bong Se Ra was a bit over the top in her comedy like she was trying way too hard. But both Ji Ah and Se Ra's office romances were very cute and fun to watch. Kang Ki Young did a great job in his role, playing Young Joon's employee and friend....but mostly his advice coach. Lee Tae Hwan, playing Young Joon's brother, was such a mild character that he was virtuously unnoticeable and fairly useless except as a plot device.

The story was thin and didn't fill out the available time for the story, but because I was enjoying the romance it didn't become super obvious until the last couple of episodes. I enjoyed the banter and the comedy between the co-workers and the romance between Young Joon and Mi So. I found the sound effects hilarious and Mi So's side eye made me laugh every time. Although the secondary romances were fairly cute, there is little substance to this show, if I'm being perfectly honest. I am all up for fluffy and light when it comes to romantic comedies- so this fits that perfectly for that. If you expect a rom-com to be anything other than this, you will be disappointed and I wouldn't recommend it. I was happily entertained for the majority of the show, though, regardless of the plot. (I'm not difficult to please when it comes to rom-coms.)

I could see myself re-watching parts of this show one day when I want something light and cute.

chewyqiu
Jul 30, 2018
I found the story somewhat similar to Pride & Prejudice, where you've got what seems to be a handsome, rich, extremely narcissistic and selfish MC paired with a smart, caring secretary who's been 'tortured' by her boss' narcissism and has formed her own prejudiced opinions about him, which is far from the real picture. Each episode aims to reveal little by little, the MC's real character and how secretary Kim responds to the those revelations. It is a simple and sweet story which started out strong but fizzled out in the middle. Even the big reveal wasn't so much of a surprise and failed to inject any excitement into the plot to keep me from feeling bored. The actors did a good job at playing their roles, although I can't say I fully understood PMY's character's behaviour sometimes.. It's difficult to completely describe it, but the story felt shallow and listless. Parts that were meant to be deeply felt failed to evoke any real emotions, and as the story progressed, it felt less and less authentic. I can't deny the chemistry between PMY and PSJ; they've managed to play out the romance in a sweet and lighthearted manner that makes me smile. All in all, it's very mediocre. I liked it enough to finish 16 episodes. Truthfully, I would've dropped if it had been longer because it was getting really draggy. Would I watch it again? Definitely not.

Pingukkie
Jul 27, 2018
TL;DR at the bottom of this review if you don't wanna read this wall of text.

I'd first like to address the rating guideline for reviews--I think the list is rather specific, and this review isn't going to completely adhere to it. After all, I rate completely based on enjoyment--so you can for the most part, ignore my rating, as that's not the main purpose of this review.

The responses to this drama seem to be largely divided between those that love it, and those that hate it. I fall into the former, but I'm going to try and address viewpoints from both parties.

Plot/Story:
Synopses for What's Wrong With Secretary Kim describe it as another typical chaebol//rich man--poor woman drama. In general, this holds true, but the tropes WWWSK brings are executed in a much different manner--over-the-top comedic, and at some points borderline parodic. At its core, this drama is a comedy above all else.

The plot and story isn't deep or very meaningful in any way, and that's fine, because this drama doesn't aim to be profound This is quite evident in the execution of the story within the very first episode. There's a more serious substory to the main characters' pasts, but it's not what drives the drama; the comedy drives it. And that's precisely why the plot or lack thereof, has little impact on my rating. If you're a watcher that prefers a good story and deeper plot over comedy, you might not find this drama as appealing. It's more of a 'turn your brain off, relax, and have a laugh' type of drama.

Characters/Cast:
The highlight of the show--what makes it dazzling. Befitting the comedy, the characters are also for the most part, over the top.

For our male lead, if you're unsure about this drama since you dislike rich jerk leads, rest assured, a jerk is precisely what Young Joon is not. He's still tad bit (by tad bit, I mean through the roof) narcissistic, and is still occasionally rude, but unintentionally due to his ignorance and obliviousness, not because he's an asshole. He's very over-the-top and charismatic. I tend see people finding this trait either oddly charming or ridiculously annoying. His personality could make or break the show for you.

Now for our female lead, her character is also a fresh breather from the typical heroine of chaebol themes. Mi So radiates a strong, responsible personality who is also independent as opposed to the common trope of being poor and helpless. Mi So as a character is interesting, but her personality is often outshined in comparison to Young Joon's, which just has many more layers in terms of depth. That's not to say that Mi So isn't also charismatic though, because she is.

Moving onto the side characters--they're all pretty quirky, weird, and over-the-top the in their own fashion. They played a large role in driving the comedy, and often times, I found myself just as or even more invested into them than the main leads.

A lot of the interactions between the characters are cheesy and cringe due their lack of romantic experience (though also largely due to the nature of the drama). I find that weirdness one of perks of the comedy; each character having their own quirky means and methods of displaying affection. However, the same interactions could be a major turn off to your enjoyment. If you aren't enjoying the cheese at the beginning, you probably won't enjoy it later on. Save yourself time, drop the drama.

Effects/Sound/Music:
I'm going to address these together as they're all external elements added.

If you've seen "Because This is My First Life", you may be familiar to the cartoony visual and sound effects added to minuscule actions such as blinking or glaring. This drama is filled with these effects, and they added a lot of comedy and enjoyment to my experience. At the same time, it's understandable to find these effects too repetitive or just outright annoying. These effects can potentially ruin your enjoyment, so just be forewarned.

As for the music, the OST was never out of place, and always added a nice flavor to their respective scenes. In fact, many scenes' comedy were amplified due to the music.

Rewatch Value:
I never really completely understood the point of the 'Rewatch Value' rating, so I'll just say it's not something to completely rewatch, but rather many comedic scenes are great to go back to.

--TL;DR ver--

Watch if you:
- enjoy comedy above story, or if lacking story isn't a bother
- enjoy the cast and their interactions
- don't mind over-the-top comedy or occasional cheese and cringe

Drop if you:
- prefer dramas with a meaningful story
- don't feel the chemistry between the cast
- can't stand occasional cheesy, cringe interactions (there are quite a few)

If you aren't enjoying the comedy aspect in the first few episodes, or the comedy is slowly growing duller, chances are you won't enjoy it later. Save yourself time, drop the drama.

Minarii
Jul 27, 2018
‘What’s wrong with Secretary Kim’ Is a drama full of clichés, full of things we’ve already seen and we often find annoying. But the way those clichés are shown is what makes this drama different from all rom-com dramas we’ve seen.

Even the plot seems familiar – a rich arrogant man and his secretary fall in love with each other without realizing their feelings at the beginning.
Park Seo Joon plays Lee Yeong Joon – a narcissistic vice president who is full of self-confidence. When i first read the summary before started watching the drama, I thought that he will be like those arrogant male leads people usually find annoying. But he wasn’t like that, he wasn’t that arrogant type like Joo Joong Won from ‘The Master’s Sun’ for example. I think the writers exaggerated a little bit, saying that he doesn’t pay attention to the people around him since I didn’t see much of this side of him.
Park Min Young plays Kim Mi So – a smart secretary who was by his side for more than nine years. She is one of the strongest female leads I’ve seen in rom-com dramas. It’s really rare to see a mature female lead who is honest with herself, who always says what she thinks and who will always show your mistakes while being understanding at the same time.
Their romance was well-developed, one thing I liked the most about this drama is how honest their conversations were. They proved that when two people are honest with each other without having any secrets, the things between them will work out for sure. I liked how their relationship was getting stronger with every episode, the writers didn’t dragged the things between them much which was a big relief. Their chemistry was perfect, but what else can we expect from such actors like Seo Joon and Min Young. Their romance reminded me of Bo Yeong and Dr. Ye in 'A Poem a Day', no wonder the screenwriters are the same.

The other two couples – Yang Cheol & Se Ra and Ji Ah & Gwi Nam were also funny to watch. I especially liked Yang Cheol and Se Sa’s story, they were hilarious. I will never forget the moment with the Cola, it was my first time seeing that kind of confession, it was such a precious moment.

Most of the other characters had funny roles (except Yeong Joon’s brother maybe). Yoo Shik was hilarious most of the time, he’s the type of character we often see, but he was somehow different.

And now, the thing I didn’t like – all the shits with Secretary Kim and Yeong Joon’s past story. Another drama cliché – the two main leads know each other from their childhood and something bad happened to them then. With or without, it would have been the same. I think the writers tried to put some pressure to ‘shake’ the watchers a little bit, but it was boring most of the times. Yeah, the relationship between the main leads got stronger because of that, but still, they brought a character such as Yeong Joon’s brother, which dragged the drama a bit. Still, I didn't hate him.

The cameo appearance of Lee Minki and Jung So Min as Mi So’s parents made me so happy, it made me realize how much I miss ‘Because this is my first life’.
Also, I think it was 13 or 14 ep… They showed Eric and Hyun Jin’s kiss in ‘Another Miss Oh’, why did they do that? I almost got a heart attack. I mean, it was that kiss, that powerful kiss. If you’ve watched the drama there’s no way you can forget about that kiss, it was that powerful. Why did they have to torture me like that, I got too distracted of the romantic moment between the main leads when I saw that kiss.

Overall, it’s a good drama. Simple plot, but yet entertaining, cheesy and funny moments, a lot of kisses and brilliant acting. You can watch it if you want a light romance that won’t pressure you too much.

Dropped 12/16
3GGG
Jul 19, 2018
Dropped 9
DISCLAIMER: (please read)
-----------------------------------------------------------
As of episode 12, I've decided to drop the series. So keep in mind that the following review is based on my personal taste and those 12 episodes. As such, I encourage and advice everyone to read two or three more reviews before deciding whether you should give this series a shot. Something I hated or was disappointed by might be something you love and was surprised by. This review is subjective, after all.

PLOT: It dragged
-----------------------------------------------------------
The story had potential (to go into a dark and rarely explored territory) which is why I stuck to it as long as I could. The problem is that said darkness it's buried deep underneath clichés, wooden dialogue, absurd sound effects, fluffy romance and sidequests (all support characters' scenes which add nothing of value fall into this). As much as I love comedy, I think this series could've benefited from taking out the forced --and often cringy-- humor in favor for leaning into the melodrama that was at its heart (the only thing I found interesting).

Keep in mind that the reception of this drama has people in two camps. Those who love it and find it hilarious, and those of us who feel like we're trapped in the twilight zone. After some reflection, I believe that if you like watching romance with some story to the side, then this might appeal to you. If, on the other hand, you are like me and you like to watch a story with romance on the side, then I would skip this one.

Episode 11 sums up my experience. The first half dove into the parts I found interesting, focusing on the narrative with a more serious tone. Unfortunately, the last half was weighted down by the standard dose of fluff, cheese and what I can only regard as silly humor (I must say that the "cartoony" sound effects broke me out of the series and often got on my nerves, though I know a lot of people loved them).

The series as a whole had mostly fluffy & nonsensical scenes which never really hooked me or left me wanting more. In the end, I had to muscle through most of the series, forcing myself to keep watching in hopes that it got better. By episode 12 I have given up hope and had decided to drop it.

MAIN CHARACTERS: Dull
-----------------------------------------------------------
Before I dive into the protagonists, I feel the need to make a note about the source material. Since this is a show based on a web series (which I'm unfamiliar with), I curved my expectations and set the bar very low. I intend no offense, but some web series tend to be beautifully drawn but present very superficial stories. Sadly, this show wasn't an exception and, despite my precautions, I was disappointed.

Kim Mi So (female lead): She's introduced as a strong protagonist. She's as perfect as her boss, with elegance and charm to match. Of course, she's also inexperienced with love, easily flustered, lovably clumsy and a bad liar. So after the first few episodes, she became ultimately boring. I kept waiting to be surprised, only to learn that what I saw was what I got. I truly believe that Kim Mi So would've benefitted if she'd been graced with a sharper wit, streets smart, a weird sense of humor... or something that made her stand out. She needed something to break that "perfect" character and give her an edge. Otherwise, you have a lead that falls flat, like eating an unremarkable dish. Sure you don't hate it and you might even finish it, but you won't remember what it tastes like either.

Lee Yeong Joon (male lead): As much as I like Park Seo Joon, his character was the most frustrating. It had less to do with his acting, and more to do with the source material. Lee Yeong Joon was riddled with traits that were so over the top, it was hard to take him seriously. When analyzed outside the story, he had the potential of becoming an interesting character because he's full of contradictions. He's a man who hides his insecurities behind a wall of arrogance. However, instead of using that contradiction as a base for character growth; his arrogant attitude was used to create cheap humor. There's also a lack of commitment from the writer to give him solid traits and stick with them. Case in point, he was introduced as a player, BUT he was never intimate with anyone. He's observant and smart, BUT he failed to see certain things when it mattered (ex. the flower thing). He's supposedly very smart, BUT he constantly misreads situations. He's bold & straightforward, BUT he can't be honest about his feelings. And on and on. One contradiction makes for an interesting character, but when you have so many, it's hard not to see the wishy-washiness of the writer.

ANTAGONIST: Stale
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lee Sung Yeon (ML's brother & semi-2ML): He's the closest thing to an antagonist we get and, like the leads, he suffers from lack of depth. He's a paper character and never really comes alive. I wasn't able to either hate or love him and the writing made sure of that. He was introduced as a likable character, sweet and observant. Then, in record time, he was unraveled before our very eyes. We were told how to feel about him, rather than make the reveal of his story more impactful by giving us time to relate to him first. So the only thing I felt towards him was a sort of tired indifference.

SUPPORT CHARACTERS: Painfully shallow
-----------------------------------------------------------
This is a series that got bogged down by having so many two-dimensional support characters who added nothing of value to the story. Chances are that if you skip all of their scenes (most of them which are aimless repetitions of their actions), you won't really miss anything...

PORTRAYAL OF ROMANCE: Fluff with an extra dose of cheese
-----------------------------------------------------------
This romance started on the wrong foot but at least it did move away from a toxic relationship into a more fluffy one. The thing that didn't work for me, aside from the extra dose of cheese, was that the characters felt and acted like kids. This could've been less ridiculous if both characters had been younger. As it stands, watching them made me feel awkward (I also had to fight second-hand embarrassment during most scenes).

Keep in mind, if you like fluffy romance, you might really enjoy this series.

OVERALL: Based on the 12 episodes I watched, I hesitate to recommend it unless you have a high tolerance for fluff.
-----------------------------------------------------------
If the series was edited to take out the parts that were a waste of time, it might've been something wonderful. This could've been a good eight-episode story, but by extending it without having good material, it became mediocre. Though I tried to hold on, it became increasingly difficult with each episode to keep my mind from wandering. Now that I've watched more than half the series, I feel like I can make a proper assessment, which is that I doubt it'll get better and I'm unwilling to put more time into it.

Again, the potential was there but the story fell into the wrong genre. This should've been a romantic melodrama with comedy sprinkled in, not a rom-com with a side of melodrama.

I frankly do not recommend this drama if you are expecting a strong, impactful or memorable story, complex characters that grow as the series progresses and/or something refreshingly new. If, however, you are searching for fluffy romance with lots of scenes dedicated to their courtship, then this might shoot to the top of your list.

Sherayith
Nov 15, 2018
This drama really did well at the beginning; there were romantic sparks between the main leads and there was a tantalizing mystery to be solved. I loved the back-and-forth between the CEO and his secretary, it was adorable from beginning to end. But my main problem with this drama is that, in my opinion, the conflict was resolved way too early. The mystery behind the kidnapping, and which brother was actually the victim, was wrapped up a little over half way through the drama; around episode 11 or 12. I thought that there was going to be a larger plot point involved, but once the truth was revealed, the trauma seemed to just disappear. They never dealt with it properly, it was just like "oh, everything is perfectly fine now that everybody knows what really happened".

So I got bored with the last 4-5 episodes because next to nothing happened besides the main couple being cute with each other. It was somewhat enjoyable, but when there is no driving force to the story (aka "conflict") it just deflates. Sure, there were mini-issues, like getting acceptance/permission to marry from the secretary's family. But honestly, everyone knew how it was going to end by episode 12. The happy couple was going to get married, it just took them 4 episodes of not much happening besides a few couple quarrels to actually reach the wedding. I dunno, I just felt like the mystery could've had larger repercussions after the truth was out, instead of being swept under the rug.

shiroflower
Jan 7, 2019
If you favor fluff over a serious plot and don't mind filler episodes this Drama may be entertaining for you. Personally I think WWWSK started okayish. Not the most exciting Drama ever but there were some funny scenes and the side couples were cute. I can't say the same about the main couple though. They seemed distant and I honestly couldn't stand Mi So's character. To me her ever lasting smile just seemed fake and therefore her relationship with Yeong Joon was not convincing. The last thing I want to mention is that this drama should have ended after ep 12 because after this point this drama was almost plot free and left me with the thought that the whole drama was boring.

AnanyaS
Jul 27, 2018
If I had to describe this drama in just one sentence, "A rom-com drama done right." I think this describes the drama in the best way possible.

- This drama has its fair share of clichés, maybe even more, from rich man poor woman, boss falling for his secretary, possibility of a past connection, and many more. But the execution of these clichés is done in a way that's really enjoyable for the audience.

- A narcissistic male lead, who is NOT unlikeable at ALL. Other dramas need to take lessons from this one on how to write characters in such a good way.
We could never get enough of Young Joon expressing just how perfect he was.

- A hardworking and smart female lead. She does everything to accommodate her boss but at the same time, she doesn't let him push her around. Now that's something we love to see!
Also a side note, just how pretty is Park Min Young?!

- The chemistry between the leads!! They are so adorable together, and when they want to be, so , so hot too!

- The side characters are just as likeable to watch as the leads. Same goes for the side romances.

- Hard not to mention Mi So's dad. So very unlike the usual dad's (or just parents, in general) in Kdramas, he didn't get on his daughter's boyfriend for no reason. His scenes were just so fun to watch.

- Almost every episode would have (more than) one scenes that would leave you with a silly smile on your face. This drama is just pure fluff. While it had its serious moments, they far from overwhelmed the light, fun and cute scene. The drama is a breeze to get through.

- The 'main plot' of the drama gets resolved waay before the finale. Afterwards, it's just pure romance. While to some, it felt draggy at that point, to some, it was enjoyable to watch more of their OTP. The last two episodes specially, are pure fillers. But the kind of fillers you can actually enjoy. I guess it depends on the viewer to an extent.

- Over all, I'd say I really enjoyed this show. It's a great rom-com, one I'd recommend to people. But it's not something I'd rewatch. Still, I had an enormous fun time while watching it the first time.

Most probably you've already heard all the good things about this drama, and it's already on your PTW, but just in case it isn't, what are you waiting for? It's already completed, it has a great cast, a high rating, good comments- basically it's a complete package! So, please, go ahead and start this. You'll have a great time watching it!

Happy Watching!!