Shoplifters

Man_Chair
Jan 5, 2019
'Shoplifters' is not a loud, over the top, or pretentious film. There are no absolutes, right or wrong, cruel or kind. The actors don't yell, brawl or pull odd or dramatic facial expressions. There are no intense and pulse-pounding fights, chases, or confrontations. However, this film hits hard, with purity, sincerity, and unabashed truth. The film's sheer realism, shown in moments of cruelty and intimacy, speaks volumes about those who've been marginalised within society, and struggle to make it through each day, far more so than any melodrama or sob story. And this is because we are able to see the characters as fellow people, fellow family members, thanks to the spectacular performances delivered by the entire cast. When the mother and daughter take a bath together, when the father and son gleefully chase each other around, the only word and feeling that comes to mind is love. Even in moments of silence, where they just sit and stare, feelings such as sorrow and hopelessness resound intensely. Love, transcending social and familial norms, is what this movie is about.

Ackery
Jan 16, 2019
I went to watch this movie with high expectations as it is the Palme d'Or winner at Cannes and I wasn't disappointed, but I definitely expected something more.
The important think to know is that this is not a movie for everyone. It is slow paced, especially in the first half and I would definitely call the film raw. For me what Koreeda wanted to achieve was to tackle very important social issues, that foreigners and especially Japanese tend to hide in a corner knowing that they exist and at the same time smiling like nothing is wrong.
The acting was fantastic and if someone forced me to see the movie without knowing anything about it, I would probably say that it was a Koreeda film, not his best -from the ones I have watched- but certainly a good one.

This kind of movies are so realistic and at the same time unbelievable. Knowing that this kind of things are an issue not only in Japan, but I would dare say everywhere is heart-wrenching.

All in all this is not a movie someone should watch to just to pass their time. The film needs your attention and your understanding.

Feb 13, 2019
The story of shoplifters is a simple, yet complicated one. The family, even though they shoplift, obviously breaking the law by doing so, they maybe have found the secret in what makes a family. One of the key factors of this movie were the performances. Even the kids were really good, though some characters were explored in depth as others. The plot, moreover, although it started slowly, it presented the family nicely and it solved all the mysteries in the ending, so it wasn't left open, although the last scene did raise some questions. Overall, although the pacing was slow, it was a nice movie with a heavy social criticism.