Yeah, I have felt burned out too in the past.   

I have this crazy idea that when I start a drama I need to complete it no matter what, which means I have watched a lot of boring stuff which made me feel burned out. I have also watched older dramas which allowed me to binge watch. Being a drama addict, I ended up staying up all night just to watch one more episode, which made me feel even more burned out.

I think I'm in a better place now after taking a break.  I have also recently found some dramas that appeal to me. For now, I am sticking to currently airing shows so I don't binge watch. 

Thanks for starting this thread.  I'm glad to hear that I am not alone. :)

Gia:

I have this crazy idea that when I start a drama I need to complete it no matter what, which means I have watched a lot of boring stuff which made me feel burned out. I have also watched older dramas which allowed me to binge watch. Being a drama addict, I ended up staying up all night just to watch one more episode, which made me feel even more burned out.

I think I'm in a better place now after taking a break.  I have also recently found some dramas that appeal to me. For now, I am sticking to currently airing shows so I don't binge watch. 

Hun, get some sleep first. Sleep is beautiful. Sleep is amazing. A drama must be fucking good in order for you to sacrifice sleep for it. If you bored of a show, walk away. It is the only advice I can give, unless you skip some scenes which I think is the fastest way. There are too many unnecessary scenes in dramas. 

I've only had the intense feeling to finish a drama when it is good, but then I stop just shy of two episodes because I don't want to it end. (I don't know if anyone else does this.) Anyway, you are not alone at all. I get burned out every one or so from dramas. 

Gia:

I know exactly what you mean... thankfully I've now understood that I don't have to finish watching a drama if I don't enjoy it, and that its okay to leave it and save yourself from the unnecessary frustration.

I also used to complete everything once I started. The most exhausting, time wasting and stupid thing one can do.
Then dropped one drama, then another and got used to it. If the first half or quarter of drama is garbage, the rest will be garbage, too. I think there were only a few instances when drama improved with time out of hundreds of dramas I have watched.

So I no longer torture myself. Also instead of watching everything that airs, I choose dramas more carefully now.

This is why I'm watching only one new drama which I'm about to drop. So banal and pre-produced, too. Why people do this?

I totally agree. If the drama is going down hill escape while you can. Its not likely it would comeback from it. 

I have become picky about the dramas I watch more. 

As for why people pre-produce boring dramas, well someone wants to watch.

I watch about 15 different shows plus movies from all around the world..... British, American, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Scandinavian, German, Canadian and Australian...... I watch several different genres so what show I watch depends on my mood that day.. Some days I want a comedy and another a mystery 

I have that feeling when I start with dramas that drag out the plot by having numerous crying scenes, memory sequences and zoom in/zoom out faces of actors..... especially when there are actors I am not so fond of anyway.
I use FF-button, skip scenes and spend about 15 min on each episode to move on. And it might take weeks before I start on a new drama. Right now, I feel full, so I watch movies instead :D

I have been into Jdramas/kdramas for almost a decade now. I have had 2 major slumps. My biggest cure is switching countries for the season and then coming back when a new round of dramas are out. It helps every time. 

I have originally started with Japanese dramas but then moved to kdramas. Tried going back when got bored of them but didn't work. For some reason Jdramas were even worse to me.

"I've only had the intense feeling to finish a drama when it is good, but then I stop just shy of two episodes because I don't want to it end. (I don't know if anyone else does this.) Anyway, you are not alone at all. I get burned out every one or so from dramas. "

This is absolutely me hahaha. I'm the kind of person who gets so attached to the dramas I do fall in love with that I can't bring myself to finish them and they end up on my watchlist forever. I need to get myself out of that habit!

I find character driven stories help get me out of the slump more too. Recently I've found some good jdramas that I've been enjoying alot, and I tend to go back to jdramas when I slump as they're easier to breeze through.

Am still waiting for that kdrama that'll blow me away right now tho!

NiandNa:

I have that feeling when I start with dramas that drag out the plot by having numerous crying scenes, memory sequences and zoom in/zoom out faces of actors..... especially when there are actors I am not so fond of anyway.
I use FF-button, skip scenes and spend about 15 min on each episode to move on. And it might take weeks before I start on a new drama. Right now, I feel full, so I watch movies instead :D

Isn't funny how they start the drama slow and in details but because they spent so much time doing that, they rush the ending? 

catstreet:

"I've only had the intense feeling to finish a drama when it is good, but then I stop just shy of two episodes because I don't want to it end. (I don't know if anyone else does this.) Anyway, you are not alone at all. I get burned out every one or so from dramas. "

This is absolutely me hahaha. I'm the kind of person who gets so attached to the dramas I do fall in love with that I can't bring myself to finish them and they end up on my watchlist forever. I need to get myself out of that habit!

I find character driven stories help get me out of the slump more too. Recently I've found some good jdramas that I've been enjoying alot, and I tend to go back to jdramas when I slump as they're easier to breeze through.

Am still waiting for that kdrama that'll blow me away right now tho!

YES! SOMEONE LIKE ME IS HERE! It is such a bad habit of mine as well!

I generally just have to step away from dramas completely and do something different like reading chinese novels XD

i don't really ever get drama fatigue.  The way I manage it in my mind is by just recalling the last few series I've watched in my country (USA) and I immediately rush to watch another Korean drama.   Things that are important to me:

• having to wait a year, maybe 2 for a second season is just so tiring to me. 
  • getting one ep per week of currently airing shows just doesn't cut it anymore for me.   
  •  i like the fact that many kdramas are being filmed while we are watching.   kdramas feel like (to me) that they cater to the viewer more and i appreciate it.  I love it when non-preproduced  dramas pivot because of viewer feedback.
  • The arm clutch.  We really don't have that in US dramas.  And many of the other classic/cliched asian "moves" we rely on seeing.   I like those and remember being startled by many of them when i first experienced them.    

I am not certain how a feel about pre-produced dramas compared to non-pre-produced. I don't even know how you would find that out. But I do feel like most of the time viewer feedback is not a good idea because we end up having a choppy story in order to appease viewers. 

JoanneSmith:
The arm clutch.  We really don't have that in US dramas.  And many of the other classic/cliched asian "moves" we rely on seeing.   I like those and remember being startled by many of them when i first experienced them.

What is the arm clutch? 

Killer_Queen:

I am not certain how a feel about pre-produced dramas compared to non-pre-produced. I don't even know how you would find that out. But I do feel like most of the time viewer feedback is not a good idea because we end up having a choppy story in order to appease viewers. 

What is the arm clutch? 

otherwise known as the wrist grab.   when she's just about to walk away and he grabs onto her wrist at the very last second.   Not the one where they physically drag someone by the wrist but the scene-stopping grab, where you are wishing for something to stop the couple from parting.