5 Original Dramas vs Their Remakes

It seems that remakes are a popular trend this year as Something About 1%, My Sassy Girl and Winter Sonata will all be airing within the next year.  Another remake, Second to Last Love is currently airing. There has been quite the controversy with remakes; some people like watching their favorite stories being retold from different points of view, while others think the stories are better left untouched because they were great the first time around.

Here are some of the dramas where I’ve seen both the originals as well as the remade version(s), and my opinion on which was better:

Y4BEDRy3_66e582_f.jpg

Original: Meteor Garden (2001)

Remakes: Hana Yori Dango (2005), Boys Over Flowers (2009), Let’s Go Watch Meteor Shower (2009)

This story is one of the few stories that has been remade lots of times. It initially comes from the Japanese manga Hana Yori Dango, that was published from 1992 to 2002. This story may be called cliché but since the manga is an old manga, I’ll dare to say it was one of the first stories of its genre.

The first drama ever adapted from the manga was the Taiwanese version, Meteor Garden, and that’s why I called it the original version (leaving aside the manga and anime). This drama closely follows the story of the manga and was a big breakthrough for Barbie Hsu, Jerry Yan and Vic Zhou.

Then came Hana Yori Dango, the Japanese adaptation. This drama was a big hit and even 12 years later, the rumor (and hope of many fans) is that Matsumoto Jun and Inoue Mao are dating.

Four years later, the Korean version Boys Over Flowers was made with Lee Min Ho and Gu Hye Seon as the main couple.

And finally in the same year, the Chinese version was produced: Let’s Go Watch Meteor Shower.

When comparing these four versions, it‘s obvious that Boys Over Flowers is the one with the biggest budget. The foreign filming locations were gorgeous; the clothing, the cars and the houses used were all high class. It really showed us a world that only the F4 could live in. The Taiwanese version is the biggest loser here. Like almost every old Taiwanese drama, it looks outdated and very low budget.

Talking about casting, Hana Yori Dango is the winner. For me, Inoue Mao, Matsumoto Jun and Oguri Shun are the perfect Makino, Tsukasa and Rui. Choosing Matsumoto Jun to be Tsukasa, was one of the best casting choices ever. He himself is Tsukasa, as it was said by several people that his temper and personality were pretty similar to Tsukasa’s.

And how about OST’s??  Boys Over Flowers' overused  “Almost Paradise” song was ridiculous. There were moments where it didn’t even fit the mood of the scene but was still played. Hana Yori Dango has a solid OST with Arashi in charge of the intro songs and Ai Otsuka & Utada Hikaru in charge of the insert songs.

Verdict: Hana Yori Dango

For me, the clear winner is the Japanese remake, Hana Yori Dango.  It was very well made; the actors fit their roles perfectly and were believable. They also did a good job with the story adaptation in order to fit the standard number of episodes for a Japanese drama. Making two seasons and ending the story with a movie was a good choice. I was also really happy when they announced the final movie, because the original mangaka was involved in its development.  When I finished reading the manga, I felt like it was missing something but the movie filled that hole. The movie itself was not so great, but it wraps up the story with a big bow of happiness that leaves me pretty satisfied.

84J7Pw71_e1c2a1_f.jpg

Original: Nodame Cantabile (2006)

Remake: Tomorrow’s Cantabile (2014)

Nodame Cantabile is also a manga adaptation; the manga was published from 2001 to 2009. The original version is the Japanese dorama which had 1 season, 2 specials and 2 movies. Then 8 years later, the Korean remake was made.

Storywise, the Japanese version follows the manga closely and does a really good job at it. The main couple, played by Tamaki Hiroshi and Ueno Juri, are one of the favorite couples of dramaland. Ueno Juri does an amazing job bringing Nodame to life, which was very difficult for the Korean actress Shim Eun Kyeong to do. Tomorrow’s Cantabile had a problem balancing the comedy and the slice-of-life genres. That’s why the beginning of the drama and the end felt kind of disconnected. Nodame Cantabile, on the other hand, managed to balance comedy and slice-of-life extremely well, making the drama entertaining to watch, and also enjoyable to rewatch.

Both versions had beautiful songs so the musical part of the story was never endangered.

Verdict: Nodame Cantabile

The original Nodame Cantabile wins this, hands down.

jLl2AAd4_260b2b_f.jpg

Original: Fated to Love You (Taiwanese, 2008)

Remake: Fated to Love You (Korean, 2014)

Fated to Love You is an original Taiwanese drama, and the story is followed closely by the Korean remake. The biggest difference I found is the main lead: the Taiwanese version had Ethan Ruan as Ji Cun Xi. Cun Xi was cold towards our heroine and had this nasty attitude towards her that couldn’t be justified. For god’s sake, she was pregnant and he still cared more for a dog than for her.

The Korean version has Jang Hyuk as Lee Gun. Jang Hyuk did a great job with his role. He made Lee Gun likeable, as he was a caring, sweet and sometimes funny character - who did think about the person bearing his child.

For the female actresses, both versions had great casting and they both did a great job with the Post-it girl character.

Verdict: Fated to Love You (Korean, 2014)

The remake is the better version for me, and it’s all thanks to the difference in the male character.

W197Gj93_42478e_f.jpg

Original: Itazura na Kiss (1996)

Remakes: It Started with a Kiss (2005), Playful Kiss (2010), Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo (2013)

This story, like Hana Yori Dango, has been remade several times and it’s also a manga adaptation. The manga has no ending as the mangaka died before finishing it, so every version has had the liberty to end it however they wanted to.

The original version is pretty old and it’s only a nine-episode drama. It’s very short, and it’s basically only the beginning of the story. Years later the Taiwanese version was made, and this version has two seasons, which followed the whole story from their high school years till their working years. Ariel Lin does a pretty good job with her character, making you empathize with her splendidly. Joe Cheng perfectly fits the cold, genius character. He does it so well that sometimes you really want to smack some sense into him. Many loved Ariel and Joe’s drama couple, and they even made other dramas together due to people wishing to see them together again. After this came the Korean version, although I’m skipping it as I haven't seen it yet. And finally, the Japanese version Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo was made. With two seasons and one special, this remake was way better than the original version. Like the Taiwanese version, it followed the complete story. This version is a little lighter than the Taiwanese version and there aren’t as many crying scenes for our leading lady.

There seems to be a new Japanese movie remake of Itazura na Kiss coming out this year, so let’s wait and see how that works.

Verdict: A tie between the Taiwanese and Japanese remakes.

W197GGQ3_f4da03_f.jpg

Original: The Quiz Show (2008)

Remake: The Quiz Show 2 (2009)

Even though this drama is managed as Season 1 and 2, season 2 is pretty much a remake. If you have watched both of them, you’ll realize that the plot is almost identical and that the characters share many similarities. Although there is only a year difference between these two dramas, it looks more like a five year difference. When watching the original, it has an 'old feel' to it. Both have great characters and interesting stories. This is a suspense drama, hence the difficulty in doing a remake. Both dramas follow the same plotline, but the final twists and the revelation were changed so the suspense aspects of the dramas were not affected.

Verdict: The Quiz Show 2

The only difference for me is the “old feeling” the original drama has, and that’s why I prefer the remake. But I highly recommend watching them both, as they are very good suspense dramas.

So as you can see, there are times when the remake outdoes the original version. Personally, I’m in for remakes when they are well done and try to surpass the original version. Here are other remakes that I didn’t mention, mainly because I have only seen one version of it:

MissLalaMoon 5 days ago

This is a super old article, but I read it, and I highly disagree with the Korean Version of Fated to Love You. Mostly because of Lee Gun. I found him to be super annoying and just awful, in the sense that the character was just bad. Ji Cun Xi was a complete ass, but I liked him more than Lee Gun for some reason. Lee Gun is the only reason why I cannot finish the Korean Version. Also, the Taiwanese Version was one of my first ever Taiwanese dramas, so it holds a special place in my heart, lol. Another thing, I preferred Meteor Garden overall the other adaptions. It's old, but I still like it a lot and actually thought it was the best out of all the adaptions. I absolutely hate the Korean Version, it was my first every drama, but I hate it so much. But this was a great article.

Ara99 Apr 20, 2017

Actually the original HYD would be the 1995 japanese movie, not a drama but still, it was the first live action adaptation.

DinoQila Mar 28, 2017

i really liked the taiwan version of Itazura na kiss. I mean.... The remake of 'it started with a kiss' Miss in kiss. I really like it. But, i also like Love in tokyo, because i'm so in love with furukawa yuki ;v

OlzDive Mar 24, 2017 - edited

For Itazurana kiss -- The very original version of Itazurana was always the best but I think the best remake won by Thai version, it didnt really annoyed the viewer like Korean version, too much like Taiwanese version (ISWAK) and so-so for the Japanese remake (Love-in-Tokyo), the Thai version add a lil twist and kept us going for watching it. Sorry if I upset anyone, just IMHO. ^_^

Mindful Feb 24, 2017

i preferred iswak,let go watch meteor shower, the devil, fated to love you (taiwanese)

scarlet heart wasnt there but i prefered to orignal to that too

couchpotato_md Jan 21, 2017

Full House korean version vs Full House Thai version.

Cas Oct 15, 2016 - edited

I am really upset the Thai version Kiss Me was not included in the Itazura na Kiss comparison. In my opinion Kiss Me was the better version out of them all

CherryChu Dec 26, 2016

Yes! that was the first version I watched and made me fall in love!

Beautiful_Bloom Oct 10, 2016 - edited

i like taiwanese version of Fated to Love You better. Ji Cun Xi is really complicated at times but it's just reasonable, and he always cared about his baby and Shin Yi actually. the development of the characters also really was enjoyable. and grandma added really important spices too.

rumtumcat Nov 27, 2016

me too. Taiwanese version>

DramaGeisha Mar 4, 2017

They only reason Taiwanese lost to Korean one is because Taiwan dragged on some episodes which was a let down. The lead characters had such great chemistry and the granny was hilarious, but too many episodes were wasted on useless plots.

starswillshine Sep 27, 2016

I actually preferred the Taiwanese version of Fated to Love You. Perhaps its because I grow up speaking Mandarin, I am able to understand the intricacies of the drama more. I like how the characters matured into a better person after every single episode. It's true that Ji Cun Xi was cold towards Chen Xin Yi at first but he had no intention to be nice to her because he was in love with Anna originally. Also, he was selfish and a guy with many flaws. It was because of Chen Xin Yi that he slowly changed for the better. I enjoyed the character development and the comedic elements too. The characters are too unique to be replicated which was why I felt awkward watching the korean version. I just felt something was out of place.

KoriNeko18 Sep 25, 2016

I've never seen any of the originals, even if I have seen a remake, but man, I'm glad I saw the Jang Hyuk ver of FTLY, because his character was really just great. <3

on another note, while I love You're Beautiful, I'm gonna say that Fabulous Boys was better! It was well-executed and felt higher quality, though I think the songs are less memorable than the original.
    Hana Kimi's 2007 ver also is great <3 To The Beautiful You lost some of the more fun aspects in the manga, imo. Felt more dramatic.

StellarPumpkin Sep 18, 2016

Totally agree with hana yori dango and the quiz show!
    The actors were really better in these! They made you feel what you're supposed to feel!

rheabiel Sep 12, 2016

1. Meteor Garden (It was such a huge sensation in my country and I have watched it 10+ times, DAO MING SI is the man here) F4's friendship and that great love for Sanchai
    2. Hana Yori Dango (I love it, its so full of emotions that you can almost feel it, especially with Makino, and I agree, Tsukasa is a great portrayal of Matsumoto, no one can beat him in that area)
    3. Lets Go Watch Meteor Shower (Its a tie with BOF actually but this drama actually for me is better)

1. Fated to Love You (tw)
    2. Fated To Love You (korean)

1. ISWAK (tw)
    2. It started with a kiss (Japan)
    3. Playful Kiss (I could not finish it)

3. Boys Over Flowers (I just simply could not relate to it, After watching MG & Hanadan, I found this too over the top)

1. Zettai Kareshi (simply the best)
    2. Absoulte Boyfriend (its awful, idk)

1. You're Beautiful (Its the best version among the three)
    2. Ikemen Desu Ne
    Fabulous Boys (I haven't finished the drama though)

To add some:
    1.Proposal Daisakusen (Japan, my all time fave drama)
    2. Operation Proposal (simply cannot live up to the Japan version)

1. In Time With You (TW, one of the best TW's drama's/asian drama-Li Da Ren!!!)
    2. The Time We Were In Love (I could not finish it, it lacked something and HJW could not save the drama)

chante Sep 2, 2016

I agree with your choices. FTLY K-version one of the best Kdramas. HYD overall was the best HYD had the best second main lead Rui. MS main lead Yan Jerry just very talented. BOF best supportive cast. LGWMS was a fun drama to watch. ISWAK T-Version was my fav.

XiaoYan Sep 1, 2016 - edited

I agree with you, completely, except for Fated to Love you. I felt like the Korean version lacked depth of character. Jang Hyuk almost seemed too bubbly (and that may be a pun on his shampoo commercial bit). Sure, Ethan Ruan's character was cold and heartless, but how would a guy react if he believed he was tricked into impregnating a random woman?
    The Taiwanese version has more of a struggle, and a stronger dynamic to "the feels". If you want to be super angry and vent your frustrations to the screen, always go with the Taiwanese version. (And, if you just want to chill, the Korean version always has more muted tones of angst)

Hana Kimi 2007 will always be my favorite remake/version. I'm currently rewatching the earlier Taiwanese version, which is truer to the manga and quite funny... but the acting is a bit poor... which makes it funnier.. (i do love it. and i love to sing along with the soundtrack)
    However, Osaka Gakuen in '07 is just so wacky that each character becomes a familiar friend. I tried watching the 2011 remake but it felt like a flat remake of 2007. I will give it another chance. As for the Korean version.... Let's not even go there. I love Minho, HyunWoo, and Kim Ji Won, and Sulli even looks boyish enough. However, this was not a well developed script and it seemed as if the characters didn't know who they were as characters.
    Hana Kimi '07. Hands down. My favorite drama ever.

3ngin33r Sep 18, 2016

Agreed FTLY Korean version was very light like slice of life, way too different especially with illness

69goddess Sep 1, 2016

In my opinion NOTHING can surpass the Japanese Hana Yori Dango, one can play Tsukasa as Matsumoto Jun did!!!

While Koreans have their drama masterpieces but they fail to portray the charm that the Japanese Originals have. But I have to say I like the Korean 'Fated to Love You' than the Taiwanese one.

One a different note I am absolutely loving Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Goreyo!!!! The Chinese version leaves a lot to desire or maybe it's just because of Lee Jun ki!!! <3 <3

Well here are my favourites:

Hana Yori Dango (2 series and movie) <3 <3
    Hana Kimi (2007)
    It Started with a Kiss
    In Time With You
    Nodame Cantabile

fanitha's most recent articles...