Doremeduck wrote: It really depends on how determined you are to learn a new language. You can learn it as quick as 6 months or waaaay longer depending on how much you study I guess.

well i do like to learn Korean with my free time, that mean not every day,
and i self learning so i may need until the end of this year :)
will enroll korean language this coming june...
train wrote: Thank you alot that was nice :)
but how long it will take to learn anew language like Korean or Japanese

All depends on what you mean by "learn"... or at what point you will consider yourself to have "learned" the language. According to the US Foreign Service Institute, the hardest languages for native English speakers to learn (and it does depend a lot on your native language) are Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese and Korean (with Korean actually considered the most difficult), and for their staff (who generally already know more than one language) it takes an average of 2200 hours or 88 weeks to learn to read and speak. (That's 25 hours a week, or 5 hours a day if you rest on weekends, and in a formal classroom environment).

Yonsei University's Korean language program (which is both immersion and intensive) takes 1.5-2 years to complete. (They do 200 hours a term for 6-8 terms, or 1200-1600 hours)

But either of these options will take you to the level where you can do university studies or conduct high level business in Korean. If your goals are more modest (like basically understanding dramas without subtitles, or being able to hold basic conversations when traveling in Korea) then obviously the time necessary is much less, but it will also depend on whether your self study is more or less effective than these formal classes.

So 6 months I think is ambitious to reach a truly fluent state, unless you are a language genius, or your native language is not English, but something closer to Korean or Japanese. But 6 months is certainly enough time to feel like you are making progress and starting to understand more of what you hear.
Doremeduck wrote: Really?! Wow. Thanks!

no problem.
well good luck with learning japanese :)) I came across a site which helps you learn japanese I dont know how good it is but its worth trying i spose

http://www.busuu.com/
kurinezumi wrote: All depends on what you mean by "learn"... or at what point you will consider yourself to have "learned" the language. According to the US Foreign Service Institute, the hardest languages for native English speakers to learn (and it does depend a lot on your native language) are Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese and Korean (with Korean actually considered the most difficult), and for their staff (who generally already know more than one language) it takes an average of 2200 hours or 88 weeks to learn to read and speak. (That's 25 hours a week, or 5 hours a day if you rest on weekends, and in a formal classroom environment).

Yonsei University's Korean language program (which is both immersion and intensive) takes 1.5-2 years to complete. (They do 200 hours a term for 6-8 terms, or 1200-1600 hours)

But either of these options will take you to the level where you can do university studies or conduct high level business in Korean. If your goals are more modest (like basically understanding dramas without subtitles, or being able to hold basic conversations when traveling in Korea) then obviously the time necessary is much less, but it will also depend on whether your self study is more or less effective than these formal classes.

So 6 months I think is ambitious to reach a truly fluent state, unless you are a language genius, or your native language is not English, but something closer to Korean or Japanese. But 6 months is certainly enough time to feel like you are making progress and starting to understand more of what you hear.

Is Korean really one of the hardest languages to learn for a native English speaker? That's understandable, since the sentence structure is completely different. I think learning Hangul, and the words are fairly easy; what gets me is how to form a sentence with the verb being at the end, and the subject always being first, it can be quite difficult.
Doremeduck wrote: Is Korean really one of the hardest languages to learn for a native English speaker? That's understandable, since the sentence structure is completely different. I think learning Hangul, and the words are fairly easy; what gets me is how to form a sentence with the verb being at the end, and the subject always being first, it can be quite difficult.

I think it is kind of hard to quantify absolutely, but the Foreign Service Institute does have a lot of experience teaching, so it is probably generally true. There are lots of factors... obviously the word order is different, and there is very little vocabulary that crosses over (except for some words that came into Korean from English) so if you compare it to a romance language it is obviously more difficult (but if you watch a lot of dramas you're going to pick stuff up naturally), and it has the different levels of speech, which is something English doesn't have, and particles, which are sometimes like prepositions (but post-positions), and sometimes not exactly, and pronunciation-wise there are lots of distinctions (mainly in the consonants) that English doesn't make (English mainly makes distinctions between voiced and unvoiced consonants p-b, k-g, t-d, but in Korean voicing is unimportant, they instead make distinctions with aspiration and tense)

But Hangul, I would argue, is the most logical writing system in the world (of the ones I know), so that part is not so difficult.

Anyway, I think it is better not to think of Korean as hard to learn, but to think of other languages as easy to learn :) Because in the end, even if it is "harder" it is still possible!
kurinezumi wrote: I think it is kind of hard to quantify absolutely, but the Foreign Service Institute does have a lot of experience teaching, so it is probably generally true. There are lots of factors... obviously the word order is different, and there is very little vocabulary that crosses over (except for some words that came into Korean from English) so if you compare it to a romance language it is obviously more difficult (but if you watch a lot of dramas you're going to pick stuff up naturally), and it has the different levels of speech, which is something English doesn't have, and particles, which are sometimes like prepositions (but post-positions), and sometimes not exactly, and pronunciation-wise there are lots of distinctions (mainly in the consonants) that English doesn't make (English mainly makes distinctions between voiced and unvoiced consonants p-b, k-g, t-d, but in Korean voicing is unimportant, they instead make distinctions with aspiration and tense)

But Hangul, I would argue, is the most logical writing system in the world (of the ones I know), so that part is not so difficult.

Anyway, I think it is better not to think of Korean as hard to learn, but to think of other languages as easy to learn :) Because in the end, even if it is "harder" it is still possible!

That's true. I am absolutely loving learning Korean! And after practicing for a bit I've started to realize all the difficulties of my own language, and imagine how hard English must be to learn for people who don't speak English as a Native language. But! No matter what language, if you like the culture, and are truly interested in learning the language, it should definitely be a fun and interesting experience!
the idea that korean is supposed to be really hard language to learn is astonishing to me. years before i even knew asian dramas existed i watched anime in japanese. all together i may have picked up on a handful of words. after only 3 months of watching korean dramas i had picked up enough vocabulary to understand at least one word out of every sentence, something that was greatly accelerated once i learned about the sentence structure. i also studied latin for 3 years, a language that one would think much easier than korean b/c the roots of our own language lie in latin. i have found korean to be much easier.
cityhunter83 wrote: the idea that korean is supposed to be really hard language to learn is astonishing to me. years before i even knew asian dramas existed i watched anime in japanese. all together i may have picked up on a handful of words. after only 3 months of watching korean dramas i had picked up enough vocabulary to understand at least one word out of every sentence, something that was greatly accelerated once i learned about the sentence structure.

i also studied latin for 3 years, a language that one would think much easier than korean b/c the roots of our own language lie in latin. i have found korean to be much easier.

Yeah, I don't know... I already speak Japanese, so I don't think Korean is that hard... and unless you count the 2 years of French in 7-8 grade (which I don't really) I've never studied a so-called easy language to compare... But, I think that the more you learn a language, the more you realize how much you don't know... In total, I probably had about 700 hours of formal class in Japanese when I studied abroad for uni, and I was well able to get along in everyday life and was quite proud of myself, but I am much better now, so there was a lot of room for improvement, and also realize I still can't begin to compete with a Japanese person in the finer points.

Also motivation is a huge factor, and the fact that Latin is a dead language is not very motivating :) Also, Latin probably wasn't on the FSI ranking unless there are a lot of Vatican spies running around speaking Latin ;) Difficulty could also be a reason it's dead...
Thanks alot for the wonderful information. and i did not know that learning Arabic would be that difficult may be because its my "mother language"

kurinezumi wrote: All depends on what you mean by "learn"... or at what point you will consider yourself to have "learned" the language. According to the US Foreign Service Institute, the hardest languages for native English speakers to learn (and it does depend a lot on your native language) are Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese and Korean (with Korean actually considered the most difficult), and for their staff (who generally already know more than one language) it takes an average of 2200 hours or 88 weeks to learn to read and speak. (That's 25 hours a week, or 5 hours a day if you rest on weekends, and in a formal classroom environment).

wrote: But either of these options will take you to the level where you can do university studies or conduct high level business in Korean. If your goals are more modest (like basically understanding dramas without subtitles, or being able to hold basic conversations when traveling in Korea) then obviously the time necessary is much less, but it will also depend on whether your self study is more or less effective than these formal classes.

will i dont want a university level all what i need is to understand this language since i watch some of there program and they make it without sub so we can learn Korean,
and i do like food on the road which talk about different type of Korean food depend on the location of the city and it very nice show but with out sub :(

so see you after 6 month and may be we can make this conversation in Korean hehe,
I've found that it's easier to learn Korean if you watch dramas without subs, and just listen to what they're saying. I was surprised by how much I've actually learned. I could comprehend almost 40% of all that was said, and I've only been learning for a few months.
hope i can start soon too:-( been waiting for months to have my sked...
I've only learned the, um, alphabet (?) so far, because I want to focus on French and Japanese, but it's on the list!