I've noticed quite a few romance dramas feature guys who are mean/cruel to the female lead even though they really do love her inside. I don't really like that in dramas so I'd appreciate recommendations where the male lead is actually very sweet and kind on the outside just as he is on the inside (or not, it's very interesting to see dark insides as well.) Thanks in advance for any recommendations! 

High School King of Savvy - Really sweet guy, wonderful romance/relationship with the female lead, lots of skinship, and lots of (real) kissing.  The amount of touchy-feely stuff in this one (and all the kissing) made my jaw drop... it's really rare in Korean dramas.  :P

If you decide to give it a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  It's one of my top favourites. :)
I also don't like male leads that are mean/cruel to the female leads. I almost never watch those at all. 

But even among the male leads who aren't mean to the female leads, most that I came across aren't really 'kind on the outside'/nice and kind type. Either they are arrogant/jerk-ish in the funny way, or they are normal (not sweet/kind). Which is ok by me as long as they treat the girl well.

But if you want the kind ones, maybe check out 'Doctors'. The guy is definitely sweet on the female lead, and his personality is on the nice/kind side.

If you don't specifically want kind/nice personality, just that he is nice to the female lead, check out 'Sound of the Desert' (Chinese historical romance). He is never ever ever mean to the female lead. Best male lead in my drama watching history.
Oops, forgot this guy from Angel Eyes. The nice and kind type.

The male lead in Buzzer Beat (Japanese) is the nice/kind/loyal type, but I don't feel that he is particularly nice to the female lead. He is just a nice guy in general.

The male leads from these drama aren't exactly the sweet/kind personality type, but they are particularly kind/sweet/nice to heroine:
I Hear You Voice
Descendants of The Sun
Taiwanese dramas have a lot of sweet male leads...In A Good Way, In Time with You, Someone Like You, Bromance, The Pursuit of Happiness, Love at Seventeen.
Orange Days
Slow Dance
Virgin Road
Mou ichido kimi ni propose
Sound of the Desert, maybe (one of the male leads is not "sweet" but crazy in love with the girl, and in my opinion definitely not always nice to her, the other man is kinder in his personality, but not as "cute" and energetic - take your pick!)
5-ji kara 9-ji made
Healer
Queen In Hyun's Man
Prince of Wolf
Can You Hear My Heart
Romance
White Lies
I Love Lee Tae Ri
Koe Koi
Decoded
Good Doctor
Usagi Drop
These are my recommendations:

Queen In Hyun's Man
Oh My Ghostess
Lucky Romance
Another Oh Hae Young
One More Happy Ending

The male leads aren't actually nice. They were the usual jerk/arrogant type. But these dramas had a lot of skinships and the male leads were really sweet.
Bachelor's Vegetable Store.  Ji Chang Wook's character never stops being lovely, even when everything around him is horrendous. 
Bromance
Fall in love with me
Flower boy next door
Fondant Garden
Glorious Day
Ho Goo's love
I love Lee Tae Ri
Leh Nangfah
Love through millennium
Queen In Hyun's man
Ugly alert
Mirror Of the Witch
Autumn Tale
Descendants Of the Sun
City Hunter
Personal Taste
My Unfortunate Boyfriend
Reply 1997, 1994 and 1988
Back To 1989
Pinocchio
Tree Of Heaven
Surplus Princess
The main lead in Doctors. Even the second male lead is good!
49 days.
Surplus Princess.
You should definitely watch Buzzer Beat. It's a Japanese Sports/Romance drama. The main male lead is sweet!!
reply 1997
doctors
witch's romance