@zeamays- I like that idea a lot! 
Hessa Volunteer Staff
***Re-posting my suggested fix for the review problem (againts disabling the rating)*** previous one was on page three.
To fix the review problem we need to:
1. Not allowing any user to mark a show as "Completed" until the last episode's airing date.
2. Not allowing any user to review a show without marking the show as "Completed".
3. Add "Drop Reviews" for people who want to write a review about the reason they dropped the show. However, they should watch 20% of the show.

Extra: Also, we also need to add a minimum word limit, because some reviews are just a sentence. Reviews should at least be 150 words.

Guys, what do you think about this?

I was for the suggestion above, but since the new version have states such as, Airing and Ended. Can we have review be locked until we mark the drama as ended? And movies as released?
Bumping this because I agree with Hessa's suggestion above ^

Personally, I don't see much problem with people marking dramas/movies as completed or rating them before they air because usually the amount of people who do that is really low and doesn't affect the ranking anyway. I'm totally confused by people who write reviews before the show finishes airing though. Many people seem to ignore the rules for writing reviews completely. I've seen some that write spoilers in the review as well, and I try to report them if I can, but I don't think anyone checks the reports either.

I'm also pretty confused by those super short reviews. They don't contribute to the community and sometimes they're voted to the front page by a huge number of people. This might sound like I'm whining but I write reviews too and I take my time to do so. It feels... weird to see reviews made by people who don't seem to invest their time in it. They could just post their super short reviews in the comments but....... this is pretty irrelevant to the thread. Sorry.
Hessa Volunteer Staff
Totally agree with you WednesHwang.
On the next update, we will have a minimum of 500 characters, but to me it is still a low number.
It's difficult to make everyone comply with the rules, but that's really what we need here. Speaking of minimum characters, I don't know if there was a minimum amount of characters required when making drama/movie recommendations before (or if it's still the case now), but I see some recommendations saying something along the line "It says that I need to write more but I don't have anything else to say" to fill in the character count. (I'll link some of that here if I find one. I don't remember where I saw them anymore.) I hope people don't do that when reviews require minimum character count in the future. /facepalms
Censorship is rarely, if ever, justified
Hessa Volunteer Staff
How is this censorship? We are not taking your ability to express your opinion, you can still write episode reviews and rate them in the episode guide, or comment in the comment section. Also, it is actually against the rules to review things before you watch all of the episodes.
I completely agree with Wednes. There are so many reviews that cannot be even considered reviews. Written in non-English, with tons of emojis, spelling mistakes or they consist of two sentences only.

Is it possible to let staff members "flag" a drama/movie review (as well as comment, feed post, forum post, recommendation etc.) for content review? By this I mean if a staff sees any review that breaks the rule, is too short to be considered helpful, in another language etc, they may "request rewrite/re-view" from the user that wrote the text? During the time this content is flagged, it might become hidden/invisible except for the owner of that review/post and they may either delete or submit changes for the staff to evaluate the content again whether it's now appropriate or not.

This is difficult to explain when the verb "review" is the same word as a drama/movie "review". I hope that made sense.

I believe other big sites like Instagram, Youtube or Tumblr has this system, but it's automatic. Posts that contain vulgarities are automatically marked as NSFW and the mark (or "flag") is only visible to the user who made that post. They can click "request for review" or something along the line as well as "oppose" the flag if they don't think it's NSFW.

It's only different that it should be done by human (staff, not the automatic system) on MDL. This way the problematic post can stay out of sight until the user decide to do something about it. We don't need to tolerate users who disappear or don't log in after that (in which case most are spammers) and we don't have to tolerate users who ignore the warnings from staff either.

Oh, and it'd be nice if the user gets a notification or a personal message to inform about their "flagged" posts too. 
Unfortunately the "flag" button does not work at the moment, but hopefully it will be enabled in the new MDL version that should be implemented soon. The only advice I can give now is to share the links of reviews and recommendations that break the rules HERE. Then it is up to the admins to delete them as they see fit.
Oh, I do notice that there's a flag button. Maybe it's the same thing I'm talking about, or maybe not. I always referred to the flag button as "sending reports". I was always aware that the reports don't get reviewed by anyone. It's a button available for every user as well. I'm thinking maybe it's better to give this power to the staff only, and instead of sending reports to the admins, staff can send reports to the original poster instead. 

I thought staff couldn't delete posts, btw. I saw Hessa leaving comments on reviews that were written before the dramas end. If staff could delete reviews and if I was Hessa, I would've deleted them already. Maybe Hessa is just a lot nicer than I am. (/sobs)
Hessa Volunteer Staff
I can't delete reviews, or I would have copied the review, deleted it, and sent the review copy to the user via pms (so that their work in not lost) and tell them why it was deleted.
I disagree about enabling only the staff to send the report; however, users should be aware that abusing the report/flag button (when it becomes available) would lead to them being banned. It would be pointless to request of writers to rewrite their reviews because many never log in again, it would be a waste of time. They should just receive a notice why their review/recommendation got deleted and then they can write it again if they wish so.

There are only two admins, the others are moderators and editors and they cannot delete users' posts or reviews.
Hessa Volunteer Staff
We need a new team for managing reports and reviews/recommendation like they do at MAL.
I suggested the request for review thing because I thought that their work is not lost that way, but deleting and sending a copy to the original poster like Hessa said is the same thing. Keeping the flag option for every user, like Ceki said, and granting staff members the ability to delete posts/reviews should do the job :))