Hessa Volunteer Staff
I am against any change that will make it impossible to rate a drama as you watch.
I agree with @CherryBunny.

The issue is the people who rate before an episode even airs.
It has already been implemented. Users can't rate a show until the first episode airs.
Agree! I have seen reviews on dramas that are currently airing, I don't understand how you can rate a drama when you've only seen a few episodes... Not even HALF of the drama
I vote on this majorly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just came here because I wanted to make the same suggesting. For example I find it great that we can't rate a drama before it starts, but I think wrtiting a review should be possible after the show ends
I think that rating and writing a review should be possible only after the drama ends. Plus, I don't know if I'm making things up, but isn't there the possibility to review each episode from time to time? Instead of reviewing an airing drama, couldn't people just review the episodes instead? I'm not sure if I'm right, so I'm sorry if I was wrong 
I retracted my votes to this suggestion for one reason only. While I wholeheartedly agree that reviews before a drama ends are bad, I *DO NOT* in any way, shape or form, support taking away the overall rating of currently airing dramas as you watch. I personally feel that it is infringing on other people's freedom about how they organize and judge their list. Overall, if you do not like it, it really does not affect you personally anyway. If you are currently watching, you are either liking it or not so someone else's rating does not even contribute at all to your enjoyment or lack thereof. If you are deciding, it at least *can* be helpful by showing you how it's being rated as it goes along, instead of showing the glaring N/A, which is just plain unhelpful for decision making all around.

The suggestion of only making episodes be rated is rather annoying for those of us that rate as we watch. We like the simplicity and easy access to the drop down menu which is right there on our list. Making people click links to rate episode by episode is a hassle. I never do that and would not if it were the only option. 

This issue is probably the biggest peeve of mine here on MDL, which is why I may be coming on so strongly right now. I just find it exceedingly annoying that so many other members would try and limit the functions and prefrences of others just because it goes against how *they* want *their* list calculated. That is just, quite simply put, not right at all to me. In the end, rating as it airs is not disturbing your experience at at all here on MDL, but restricting that option will not only put a lot of others out, it will seriously disturb the rating system by a whole. Anyway, ALL dramas and shows are rated as they go along in society. A perfect exame are Nielsen ratings. 

So, I ask peeps to please rethink your stance on voting to disallow rating of currently airing dtamas as whole. Just like many of us in the world do not use metric system to measure, some of us use different ways to use the features on this site.
If use not "starting airingr" date but " ends airing" date for locking/unlocking  rate and review feature - it can be done.

If ther isnt complete date with dd.mm.yyyy. - features are locked. In rare cases when ending of airing isnt known even when airing starts - admins can unlock feature. System can trace this kind pages itself if ordered exa.once a week.

With reviews....now when there are buttons helpful/not helpful but you cant see unhelpful being pushed ....all reviews  look like none of readers havent find them be unhelpful, like they are all ok. Makes reading of reviews kinda confusing. I still dont get it now how order of reviews are now - is it by helpful caunt or by % of helpful.....even comments doesnt help bc thous are hidden.
But  making review feature open up only after drama/movie ends airing makes it bit more trustworthy and cauntable.

MDL is database website with features of members lists and foorum/feed.  One part of data here are rank and rate, both base on opinions of MDL members.

MDL  staff must decide on what rate stands - is it rate for whole drama/movie or is it something else. Bc now here is confusion for what  and on what this rate bases.  Some use it like tool to keep order on Currently and Plan to list, some use it to hype up or down drama/move before it even aired, some use it like rate of expectations for not aired drama/movie, some use it to keep score of enjoyment during airing, some use it like rate for whole drama.....it is total "soup and porrige in one kettle"
@Raincat- Admins have already removed the showing of unhelpful votes as per majority of user opinion. Why bring it back up? >_
Omg my post keeps getting cut off! >_<  I tried twice to edit it and still cut! 

ANYWAY. What I was trying to type is:

Is the problem people seem to have about those dramas that they think are overhyped or idol dramas getting high ratings? If so, can we just stop and think about it a moment, please? Because that will still happen, just later rather than sooner. The thing is, everyone bases their rating for different personal reasons. To some, simply having JCW in a drama is enough to give it a 10. To others, the writing has to be stellar and the acting well done. Are either of those reasons wrong? NO. Because people are all different and have different tastes and criteria.
I'm not sure I really care about this much either way since I more or less ignore ratings anyway, but I can kind of see both sides of this. 

A rating as a show airs is based on incomplete information.  For that reason it bothers me a bit. :)

But an ongoing rating does give some indication of what people think of the show, as it currently stands.  Which does have some point.

The problem, to me, is that all those things get lumped together in the end: the person who watched one episode and hated it, the one who watched the first few episodes, got really excited and gave it a 10, and then wandered off without finishing it, the ones who did actually finish it...   

In a perfect world, I think only ratings from people who finished the show should count.  I don't rate shows I don't finish for that reason - I don't think it's fair to the show, or to other users, no matter how much I disliked the first however many episodes.  What if it got better after I stopped watching?  What if it got even worse?  I know if I dropped it that I didn't like it, and I have no personal need to rate or rank my dropped dramas, lol.  But I realize that I'm weird and picky about things, and live and let live and all. ;)

But what about this: Is it possible to separate them out?  Scores from people who are currently watching the show go in one overall average for the show, and scores from people who have completed it into another?  It would be interesting to see, anyway.  Right?  Although it wouldn't stop people from lying and marking things complete, I guess.  Obviously this would matter more as the show airs and for the short period after, and then the "currently watching" average would be more of a curiosity than anything. 

Eh.  I don't know.  There is no perfect solution.
@zeamays- I have thought a lot about it and can't think of a solution except to leave it as is. I entertained the idea of suggesting to keep rating currently airing dramas as a way to keep track of how you are feeling about a drama but not have it count to the overall score until after the drama has ended, but then that would not help those who do look at the score in determining whether or not to start something.

Again, though, it comes down to this. Is the current system merely bothering people on a personal level, because people are using it in a different way than how they use it themselves? Most of the reasons people are giving about wanting to abolish it are just, essentially, you are not doing it the way I do and think it should be done so therefore it is wrong. At least, that is how it seems to me. I do not think people mean to be like that on purpose, but I just can't see how, logically, removing it would make things better, instead of worse by taking the option to choose away from people. 
Hessa Volunteer Staff
***Re-posting my suggested fix fir the review problem (againts disabling the rating)***

To fix the review problem we need to:
1. Not allowing any user to mark a show as "Completed" until the last episode's airing date.
2. Not allowing any user to review a show without marking the show as "Completed".
3. Add "Drop Reviews" for people who want to write a review about the reason they dropped the show. However, they should watch 20% of the show.

Extra: Also, we also need to add a minimum word limit, because some reviews are just a sentence. Reviews should at least be 150 words.

Guys, what do you think about this?
Some old dramas don't have a date of the finale episode, what about them? In that case, it's better to make something like a complete airing checkbox.
Hessa Volunteer Staff
@Igemona
If those old dramas include the year of the end date, then they can be added as completed.

E.g.
Aired: Jul 25, 2008 to ??-??-2008

The system should know that the show ended sometime in 2008, and thus can be added as completed.
@Hessa: Great ideas!