Save Me

• Members: 5,600
totoro
Sep 24, 2017
You know a drama’s gonna be lit when it makes you feel all types of emotions….

Save Me isn’t your average kdrama. I haven’t seen anything like it before. According to some sources, this is the first kdrama that explores the issues of religious cults. I actually started watching this drama the week before it ended, and finished all available 14 episodes in less than two days. Yes, it was that good. For many viewers, myself included, it was kinda slow in the beginning. I was hooked right from the start since each episode was gripping, but the drama didn’t warm up for me until ep 9 (yes, a bit late into the drama, but it’s totally worth it).

*claps* The cast is AMAZING. I can’t believe the actor of Dong Cheol, Woo Do Hwan, is a rookie. He’s so good. His facial expressions (his eyes!), his body language, and everything else shows exactly what he’s thinking. Definitely will be following his upcoming works. I wasn’t a fan of Seo Ye Ji, but that completely changed when I watched this drama (her voice is so rich). Taecyeon was lovely as usual, but Do Hwan completely stole the show for me. I loved the bromance between the four guys. The supporting cast also did a great job; each character had a story and helped keep me on the edge of my seat throughout the drama. btw there isn’t really a romance storyline, but definitely lots of shipping. ;-) note: low rewatch value because watching it more than once might raise your blood pressure too much.

There were a few scenes that made me a bit uncomfortable, but other than that, I absolutely loved this show. On the same note, this drama isn’t for everybody, since it tackles darker issues. I’ve been disappointed numerous times by the kdramas this year, but Save Me definitely saved the year (no pun intended). Save Me is one of my favs this year, along with Defendant, Duel, and Avengers Social Club. I don’t think I’ve been this emotionally invested in a kdrama before, and I’m sad that it has ended… will definitely miss the cast of Save Me.

The final verdict: not for everyone, but it’s an amazing drama that dives into darker topics

This is the first religious cult kdrama, so there’s nothing similar to it, but here are a few psychological dramas:
- Liar Game (kdrama)
- I Remember You
- Defendant (“Apostle Jo” is also in this one, but he’s a good guy :D)
- Mad Dog (not psychological, but stars Woo Do Hwan (!!); airs later this year)

HappySqueak
Sep 24, 2017
I started this drama with no expectations, I was very impressed with the writer’s ability to maintain such thrilling moments and cliff hanger endings all the way to the final act. Each character felt like a key player in the story no matter how minor their role, when they had their moment on screen you are waiting for them to take action against the Cult. As the conflict and pressure to save Sang Mi became the focal point and as the title describes “Save Me” the boys from her brief past in what was her new high school, rise up to the occasion. There are many unlikeable characters scattered throughout this drama that may really make a viewer frustrated and anxious to see the good guys appear and use their smarts in this game of Religious Cult vs. Normal citizens who can see through the facade of the Cult's conman ways. This is not a romance drama, but there is a strong sense of friendship, and just how strong a child’s love for their parent can be is theme throughout but sadly also mixed with a theme of betrayals by parents you trust.

Jeana
1 day ago
God, what a wonderfully powerful story.

Despite a few flaws here and there, Save Me is undoubtedly that one Korean Drama that comes to the closest degree of perfection.

The beauty of the show is in its fearlessness. It yanks out all the controversial social issues that people keep hidden behind opaque curtains and exposes them for what they are.
Religeous extremism, bullying, corruption and abuse of power are laid bare infront of you in their ugliest form.
There's a perverse darkness to the show. This constant undercurrent of foreboding and this feeling that you're watching something that you shouldn't watch. Despite the fact that it has no explicit scenes, the drama still manages to come off as an undeniable Taboo.

Save Me excels at every factor that makes a good show. Excellent direction, a tight narrative and a well-thought out, intelligent script make it impossible for the viewer to not get invested.
Every character and role, no matter how minor, is extremely fleshed out; consequentially making all the more impact.

It is only right that a brilliant script would be backed up by brilliant acting and sure enough, our actors don't disappoint.
At first I thought that I wasn't getting enough from Seo Yeo Ji but as the episodes progress you're entranced by her. Sang Mi is a strong woman caught in a vulnerable position. From determination and rebellion to helplessness, frustration and finally utter desperation; it's an awful never-ending cycle for her.
The deadly world of religeous fanaticism is wonderfully portrayed and Sang Mi's battle with sanity amongst masses of deranged manics shakes you to the core. Her love for her mother, her strong will to save herself, her despair and her agony are all emotions that you feel alongside with her.

However, the star of the show is undoubtedly Woo Do Hwan. I felt so deeply for Dong Cheol that I often found myself tearing up at the unfairness of his situation. He's a warrior with a heart of platinum and a soul that shines. He's sexy, sweet and broken. And I was in love with every version of him. I cherished every moment he was on-screen and missed him every moment he wasn't. It's truly remarkable how excellently Woo Do Hwan acted despite having very little experience under his belt, and that too, in a way that he stole the show from much experienced actors.

Okay, so you know those flaws I mentioned in the beginning? Well, Han Sang Hwan is the biggest one. Considering I'm an egalitarian, I hate noble idiots and goody two saints equally regardless of their gender; and Sang Hwan, to put it frankly, is a little bitch.

Despite the fact that he is the show's hero and this 'leader' that the drama writers want to force you to like- he isn't much at all. He's the classic privileged rich kid with daddy issues that you can find in every other wealthy neighborhood. His character is like an after-thought to the story and Taecyon for me, was very unmemorable.

I hated the fact that the drama, time and time again took away the spotlight from the life of the show (Dong Cheol) and gave it to him. At one point I was bad-wishing him almost as much as I was cursing the evil guys but hilariously enough, he failed in almost of all his hero missions (rescue plans and outsmarting people) all by himself. Until the last few episodes, his character retains the heroic but dumb vibe and I just couldn't take him seriously. Especially when all the real work was done by Dong Cheol.

However, the saving grace about Save Me is that even though it makes it clear who the main leads are, it doesn't discriminate in screen-time. Every single character is given their moment to shine and that is the sole reason why Taecyon did not make me snatch one star back from the rating.

The villains are cleverly written. They are all complex characters driven by different motivations and are as compelling as they are hateful. There are some very lovable side characters- Mr GateKeeper being my personal favorite- and some good ol' bromance to keep things balanced.

Save Me is a show that makes you feel. I found silent tears trekking my cheeks in miserable moments and then there were times I wanted to scream and yank my hair out from frustration. The drama kept me hooked to the screen from start to finish and brought out a whole lotta physical reactions from me.

The OST, mostly instrumental, is pure genius. Played at all the right moments; it incites dread, anticipation and panic in the on-lookers.

There are no plot inconsistencies and the show ends beautifully, providing deep satisfaction and closure, while simultaneously teasing that maybe all that evil isn't gone for good? Who knows.

Personally, this show was right up my alley. It kept me guessing throughout and from the moment I pressed the play button to the time the ending credits rolled; my heart felt like it was in a chokehold of fear for the characters.

While this show may not be for everyone, if you want to test your boundaries and tread into dark waters; Save me is, without a doubt, a must watch.

Jessica
Sep 25, 2017
Save Me is an amazingly well-rounded and well executed drama. Simply put, this is not your average drama, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something intriguing, thought provoking, and captivating. It's filmed like a movie, and the writing hones in on quality.

The pacing and plot is well-thought out, albeit it starts slow, but it really drives forward after a few episodes. There are certain scenes that just really hit the mark (and even ones that made my jaw visibly drop). Both spoken and unspoken parts of this script really shine. The cinematography is also astounding. Aside from the technical stuff, the themes and characters of this drama are just incredibly well thought out.

As for the acting, I truly must give a hand to the entire cast for bringing such a chilling narrative to life, because this fictional cult's story is unfortunately very similar to many real life events. Some may disagree, but for me, Seo Ye Ji made this drama. I've heard that some viewers may find her expressions to be bland or dull, but i strongly disagree. She displays a wide variety of emotions, and has great control over even micro-expressions; the only reason why it may have seemed dull at first is because her character is written in such a way. The next outstanding performance came from Woo Doo Hwan. Not only is his character written to be so generous and wonderful, but Doo Hwan's ability to capture heartwarming, bloodchillling, raw emotion blew me away. Definitely rooting for this guy.

The music is suitable to this drama, but it's not really that good standalone.

Overall, this drama has been one of my favorites in terms of cast, character, and impact so far. I'm looking forward to the cast and crews future endeavors, and I certainly hope this drama gets more love!

supalove
Sep 25, 2017
I hardly ever write reviews for k-dramas but I will for this show. First off, let me just start off by saying that this was one of the most well-produced, well-acted and well-written dramas that I have ever seen. From day one, the drama pulls you in and captivates you with its raw and gritty subject matter: an exploration of catastrophic religious cults.

For many of us, we never get to see what goes on in a religious cult, only hearing about it on the news when something bad occurs or referring to it as a thing of the past. This show is so phenomenal because not only does it remind you that religious cults are still out there, it also makes you want to learn more about their existence. Half-way through the show, I found myself researching about the growth of religious cults within a country like South Korea that is infamous for group mentality and group thought. Religious cults are huge and this show has the guts to bring to light some of its indecencies.

Admittedly, the first few episodes were very hard for me to watch because they touched upon sensitive topics like death, molestation, bullying, and the like. (And it doesn't get any easier as they explore the inner workings of the religious organization.) However, over time I slowly began to realize that those feelings of discomfort were 100% necessary in order to paint a picture and tell the story of what really happens in modern-day Korea and the world as a whole. If a piece makes you feel something, then it is doing its job correctly. My greatest hope for this show is that the situations depicted will spark a widespread transformation of Korean society.

Also Side Note: I've said it before but I will say it again, OCN dramas are GOLD! Anything that is an OCN original is gonna be deep and maybe a little dark-but it's gonna be good! The 3.0 Rewatch value is because it's just one of those shows that you need only to watch once. Once is enough because, as I have said previously, it's a lot to take in.

sapsari
Sep 25, 2017
I love how this drama showcase a sense of realism to viewers as it comes to grips with religious cults which is so different from other dramas that we're accustomed to.

I'm also amazed with the actors, they all got great acting chops, both protagonists and antagonists, I like Seo Yea Ji's (Sang Mi) acting, it's very convincing, and Woo Do Hwan (Dong Cheol) is such an "oppa" material istg. I love his character here, his heart of gold behind a bad boy look.

Overall, "Save Me" is not your typical K-drama that is all cutesy and filled with hearts and romance, it has dark and heavy theme which you either like or not at all, there's no in between.

Kathleen
Sep 25, 2017
Are you looking for something that keeps you on your toes? Do you want to feel the chills? Want something deep and dark? Well this drama is for you.

This is my first time to see a drama with this sort of plot. You don't see plots about a cult often. When I heard about this I was excited. It definitely did not disappoint. This was also refreshing in some sort of way.

The plot, the soundtrack, the actors were brilliant. You could fell the emotions very well.
Thevilone
Sep 25, 2017
Was in a drama slump when this drama  saved me. Pun intended.
But it's true. I was in a really bad drama slum when Save me came as a beacon of light and took me in this dark, twisted path. And I loved every second of it. This type of drama are very rare in the world of K-drama. So when I found this unique drama, with good story and amazing actors I can't stop but praise the about it.
The story is definitely different.  Religious cult are real and they are active not only in Asian countries but all over the world. And they are scary.  This drama tells this tale of a person who is trying to get out of there. And it's dark and twisted and it has you questioning about sanity of people but it also makes you connect with the characters and their pain. Head's of to the writers.
 It's very well written and something up my ally.
The actors were amazing. Got nothing but good things to say about them. Seo Ye Ji was amazing. Her posture, her voice (I really like her voice, deep and rich), the way she shows her emotions. She is so good. And then there is Woo Do Hwan, rookie of the year, playing Dong Cheol. For me he stole the spot light. I absolutely adored his character and him. He just makes you cheer for him. Can't wait to see him in 'Mad dog'.
Others were great too but I couldn't see them because I was only watching Do Hwan.
Its doesn't has the typical love song in it. But the songs it does has are only, only this drama alone. They are spooky and dark and when you hear them its like you are listening to a horror track. And It scares me. Jung Cha sik's song....creepy! But I loved 'The Vane - hallucination'
I am going to re-watch it. I can't get over Woo Do Hwan. It's not for everyone. But if you like good but dark stories with talented actors and a horror soundtrack then this is definitely for you. But please do try it. Watch it!
Bismika! Teljioda!!

Nicki
Sep 25, 2017
I'm biased as hell. I really don't care. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this drama. This drama, really truly, made the episodes of frustration worth it in the end. Typically, I find dramas lose their appeal to me once we get to the half way mark, so I was very nervous that this drama would do the same. However, I just found myself so immersed in the story that I never once felt bored.

I'm basically just gonna post what I had written about it on my blog when I was only ten episodes in...

This drama was an unexpected surprise for me. I’m a fan of Seo Ye Ji ever since I watched her in Moorim School and I wanted to see more of her, but I’m gonna be honest Hwarang wasn’t going to get my view (it looked boring and there were better things I could and did watch) and I wasn’t interested in any drama where she wasn’t the lead especially if I was gonna have to see ant face. I had made a note that I wanted to see this drama without virtually any clue what it was about. I eventually found out that Ok Taecyeon was also going to be in this drama and he’s pretty easy on the eyes so yeah… I didn’t read the synopsis on the drama until I was midway through episode one because I immediately thought to myself, what the actual !$!@ have I gotten myself into? I was equally repulsed and obsessed by the time I finished the second episode and waited anxiously for every new episode.

The drama absolutely captivates from the acting to the symbolism to the scenery to the background music. The funny and relaxed moments, although far and few in between, are as believable as the thrilling and spooky moments.

As someone who was a fan of Seo Ye Ji, I must say that Im Sang Mi has easily become one of my favorite kdrama heroines of all time and that was because of her. There was strength and courage inside this character that had felt so much pain and to come out of it with everything still in tact? I AM FLOORED AND PROUD.

Of course we know that the rest of the cast did amazing as well and truthfully there is such a satisfaction that i am feeling right now that I can't explain.

Give the drama a chance. It may surprise you.

Irusu
Sep 27, 2017
Story - The story for this drama was awesome! As I have never seen a drama with this type of plot before, the second I saw it I knew it was going to be good!

Cast - I loved the cast so much! I have never seen any of the cast in anything other than this and I have officaly become a fan of all of them lol.

Rewatch - I never rewatch shows, unless its a very rare exeption, and I can tell you in a year or so I see myself definietly re watching this!

Music - I loved the music, it wasnt overplayed and played at the right times.

Overall - This drama is definitelty my favourite drama ever! Its fine that it doesnt have romance, I feel romance would take away from the story if it was in this drama, though I did ship Dong Cheol and Sang Mi. :3

Suaad
Sep 27, 2017
Save Me is a journey worth travelling.

Everything about Save Me is captivated, they have built up the world for the viewers to be invested in perfectly. Save Me is the type of show where every details and every information will make sense at the end. I was worried that the show will get me lost in details, but thankfully it didn't.

All the actors were phenomenal except, for me, Ok Taecyeon. I've never seen him act before, but his acting got better after the first couple episodes so that was a relief. The villain actors have done their characters so well that you can't help but hate them! And that's coming from someone who loves villain characters.

Would I rewatch it? Yes, but not soon as I need to recover and watch something tooth-achingly sweet after it.

Would I recommend it? YES! Even to people who don't watch kdrama often.

Samanta Park
Sep 25, 2017
Definitely one of my favourite kdramas EVER! It was so nerve wrecking!