A Poem a Day (2018) poster

Minarii
May 16, 2018
'the pain can also become a path'.

have you ever watched a drama that makes you so happy that you want to become a better person? 'a poem a day' felt like home to me. it made me feel like i really belong somewhere.

story:
the story was nothing that... impressive? at least at first sight. there is no much drama, pressure, it doesn't make you nervous about what will happen next. but it gives you a warm feeling, it makes you happy. it was interesting for me, although i have no interest in physiotherapy.
the romance between je wook and bo young was one of the most beautiful romantic stories i've ever seen in kdramas. i know, i've read in many comments, a lot of people find it boring, too 'formal', but no, it was just real. they were one normal couple. they loved each others, they supported each other, there were hugs and kisses, so i didn't really understand why some people thought that their relationship was unnatural. it just felt real.
another thing i have to mention is the patients stories. i cried my eyes out, they just felt too real.
i really liked the poems. they were so beautiful and they perfectly matched with the story.
but i was slightly disappointed in the end, i think some things should have happend but this doesn't change the fact that the story is good.

characters:
woo bo young - oh, our beautiful female lead. she was just a good person, she was trying to do her job right and to help the patients to recover. she truly cared about them. the thing i liked the most in her it's that she wasn't trying to hide her sensitivity. bo young was a strong female lead in one word.

ye je wook - i haven't seen a person who likes giving advices as much as him lol. he seemed cold in the beginning but after that you can see what a warm person he actually is. he treated everyone with respect and he was always telling what he thinks, he was honest with himself and with the others.

shin min ho - you either like him or you don't. personally, i like him. yes, sometimes he acted childishly, he had no sense of responsibility but at the end, he made the right decision no matter how hard it was for him. yes, he was sometimes selfish, but aren't we all like that? when we fall in love we want the person to have eyes only for us, we don't want to let him/her go. so how can we blame minho for that?

the side characters were really funny and pleasent to watch. their had their own hardships but they always found a way to endure it. i like seeing their character development, escpecially han joo yong's. i like how his friendship with dae band developed in a really good way.

acting:
the cast was completely new for me, the only actor who i knew was seo hyun chul.
i have no much to say, the acting was perfect. there wasn't anyone whose acting seemed unnatural, they all did a great job.

music:
beautiful ost, i love all of the songs. they suited the drama really well and they made it even better.

overall:
11/10 if you ask me. i like dramas that are close to reality and 'a poem a day' was a masterpiece for me. totally recommended!

Brittney
May 17, 2018
Likes:

-Woo Bo Young was such a great lead! She was a ray of sunshine and such a genuine person without being ditsy! She still had flaws though, but I think those flaws made me like her even more. She’s what really made me stick with the show. I rooted for her the entire time!

-The whole cast of characters–even the meaner ones–were really fun. It was really entertaining to watch all their interactions and antics. I also liked how they all had their own things going on in their lives.

-The setting was unique in the sense that I don’t think there’s been a kdrama about physical therapists before! It was really fun to get a glimpse into that world.

-The use of poetry was also super unique and creative and it was incorporated in the drama really well.

Dislikes:

-There didn’t seem to be a plot to me. Besides the romance, I didn’t really understand what direction this show was trying to go.

-Going off of that, I think the show started off really great but then started focusing on the wrong things which ended up being its downfall. For example, the love triangle felt very unnecessary and didn’t really do anything for the plot or for the characters involved in it. Another example is that the show spent so much time developing Minho and Bo Young’s relationship and not enough on Bo Young’s relationship with Dr. Ye which left me feeling confused on who the show was trying to make me root for.

-The show should have focused on all the characters and their individual problems. It did at first, which was why I was so hooked at the beginning, but then it fizzled out. Characters’ problems were pushed under the rug halfway through and virtually forgotten about. Because of that, the majority of the characters end up not really doing anything to add to the bigger picture of the show, and they felt like they were just there to fill up time. What I wanted to see: Minho dealing with his family issues and the fact that they forced him into a career path that he isn’t interested in; Nam Woo working his ass so he can get a job; Yoon Joo trying to figure out how to deal with her loneliness and learning how to be vulnerable with others, etc.

-Dr Ye, despite being one of the leads, was one of the most underdeveloped characters of the entire cast! I still don’t really understand his character or what drives him. Who is he outside of work? I wanted to know more about his break up and see him trying to heal more from it. I liked his character but I needed to know more in order to be fully invested in him. The show did give him some more character development in the last two episodes, but honestly, by then it was too late since everything was wrapping up.

Overall, this show was entertaining to watch, but the lack of character development for the majority of the characters and the lack of plot left me feeling majorly dissatisfied.

bubal
May 25, 2018
This drama is the must-watch of your life.
I stumbled upon this one by chance and I am so so so so sad that it's so underrated.
The story was such a bandage on my little heart. I felt healed just by watching five minutes of it.
This drama depicts ordinary people who just try to get on with their life as best as they can with what it gives them. All the characters are relatable and you will find a part of yourself in every of their stories. The cast was amazing as well. I personally didn't know any actors in this and they ALL did a wonderful job. I also like that we didn't know who the male lead is. This gives a little excitement as you go along and root for your baby.
The music was amazing as well. Not too much lyrics, just melodies that go amazingly well with the mood of the episodes.
It's a slow, fluffy, smoothing ride so so worth your time. Truly.
As a writer and artist myself, I just felt the poesy so much... and I used to dislike poetry and just not get it, but this drama made me change my point of view on this art.
I don't know what else to say, I just finished it five minutes ago and I am still not over it. Will I ever be ? I doubt that. It was too beautiful to be a forgotten drama on my completed list.

ChinguMode
May 16, 2018
There’s nothing in a poem
Apart from what remains of our lives.
What remains of our lives always meets us
In a way that is not at all remarkable.

Though you might not wish to believe it,
It is not at all remarkable.

At its core, this sweet little drama about physical therapists and other people who work at a hospital started as it ended – as a quietly-joyful slice of the ordinary.

Lee You-bi is truly delightful as Woo Bo-young; a contracted physical therapist who wants a full-time job and love in that order. Bo-young finds herself in the middle of a love triangle that launched a full-scale shipping war while the show aired: will she choose the urbane, professional Dr Ye or the childish first love Min Ho? But in the end this show is not about romantic attainment or who ends up with who - rather it's a beat in the lives of ordinary people. And it's in that beat that we find the poetry in the average human soul.

With an alternative - and preferable - title of You Who Forgot Poetry, this is a show about the compromises people make to make a living and the need for us to retain our original aspirations in our lives. As people who opted for a steady, safe income over their dreams, most of us can empathise with the underlying concept of poetry as a metaphor for romance in a petty, silly, vainglorious world.

The show has lots of quirky humour in the vein of a more-subdued Scrubs and elicits its fair share of laughs at the general absurdity of life. But it's in its overall message - that the ordinary can be poetic - that this show is quietly and subtly beautiful in a way that is as unexpected as it is joyful.

June
Story: 8/10

It was essentially slice of life at its best. Nothing extravagant yet nothing too simplistic. I loved loved the poems and let me tell you I am not a big fan of poetry thanks to A-level Literature. But the poems from this drama was absolutely sensational and so heartfelt. I loved how there was a story behind each poem. The drama was quite unique in the way it explored various points and mini stories throughout the series. It was delivered quite well as well. I felt that in each episode, there was always something to take away as a lesson or as something to reflect upon. The story was kept real and relatable but also had its lighthearted and comical scenes, which by-the-way were absolutely amazing. I couldn't stop laughing at various scenes of the drama. Romance wise? It was quite unexpected actually...that is all I am going to say about romance. I am not and will not ruin it for you (it's that good). The only thing I felt the story lacked was how it did not thoroughly explore the development of some of the characters; they were mostly snapshots of what the characters dealt with/did on a daily basis. Particularly with Jang Dong-Yoon's character, I felt it lacked depth and understanding, especially with the way the drama ended. As a viewer, I didn't feel quite connected to his character. But other than that, it was overall a good watch.

Acting/Cast: 10/10

Okay, I don't know about anyone else but for me, the cast was amazing. I think each and every one of the cast played their role really well. Lee Yoo-Bi perfectly suited the female lead with her baby-faced beauty (I can't still believe she's 27?!) and executed the role amazingly. Likewise with the rest of the cast.

Music: 8/10

I don't really have much to say about the music, because I hardly paid attention to it. But overall it was good. Nothing overrated or unsuited. The music matched the atmosphere of the scenes and set the mood perfectly. I particularly liked the soundtrack when the poems were being voiced.

Rewatch value: 8/10

Hell yes. I would definitely come back to watch it again. Maybe not anytime soon.

Overall: 8.5/10

So there. I gave it 8.5/10. I didn't give it the full 10 because I think this drama did have some plot holes. Although all in all, it was a good watch and you will definitely find yourself in love with some of the characters. Like it or not, I would say give it a chance.

FleffElsie
Jun 3, 2018
Perhaps I just found this drama at the right time, in the right mood, but it was exactly what I was craving and why I gave this a 9/10 instead of the 8 or 8.5 it probably should be. To match the drama I'm going to make this a short and sweet review.

STORY
A Poem a Day is nothing special. There's no big intense driving plot or any big twists, but it IS incredibly easy to watch and full of sentimental value. A Poem a Day tugged on all my heartstrings in the right places and made me giggle too many times to count. There's a real down-to-earth vibe throughout the whole show that translates seamlessly into even the romance which I found very refreshing - and there were no typical kdrama cliches! (Apart from maybe the love triangle but hey, I'm a sucker for those and this one was wrapped up responsibly and realistically! What a surprise right?) It's a casual watch that entwines the stories of not just our main trio but also that of multiple other employees at the hospital with comfortable ease, without relying on dramatics or glaring over-used character flaws that felt fake. Everyone felt relatable and was easy to connect with. To me A Poem a Day is a shining example of just how well 'less is more' can work and it strayed from typical expectations without seeming like it was trying hard at all.

ACTING
I have no complaints here! Lee Joon Hyuk's acting may perhaps seem a little stiff at first but you'll soon realise that that's simply just how his character is. (And I ADORE our awkward and super sensible Doctor Ye. He is one of the main reasons I laughed so much while watching this show, especially towards the end of the series!) All the emotions even down to the subtler ones were portrayed well and I never once had any problems at all absorbing myself in the show.

MUSIC
So sweet! The music matches the relaxed and sentimental vibe of the show really well. Accompanied with the readings of poems - which make me want to buy a poetry book! - they may not be something I'm likely to remember in the distant future, but I can bet I'll feel all kinds of sentimental when I happen across them again.

REWATCH VALUE
I actually totally would rewatch this show, given enough time has passed. A Poem a Day possesses such a slice-of-life simplicity and sentimental value that a lot of Kdrama shows just do not have. It was honestly a joy to watch and I full appreciated its simplicity. It might not be for everyone, and I can understand that, but for once I was happy to just relax and not have my mind racing to predict any outcomes or groan at overdone cliches. A Poem a Day is a cute, comfortable series with just the right amount of realistic pains and drama. It felt like I peeking into a few chapters of people's lives and learning some valuable life lessons in the process.

Miranda
May 25, 2018
This was a beautiful drama. Creative souls out there, this is for you (writers and artists). Someone who is not creative may find this boring but If you are an artist or writer you will definitely love this to heart. It's beautiful, all the characters are really beautiful and well made. All of them have their own story. Something I disliked about this drama is the lack of going deeper into every character's story. The end was inconclusive and there's a lot of things we wanted to know. The story is great and I loved it, but theres certain points that were not made the right way because this show had more potential than that. The main couple has really good chemistry and is a lovely couple. The love triangle in here is good too. Even though the second lead was that type of main lead (rich, stupid and childish), he was able to grow up and thats something I really appreciated, I did love them both for her though. But Doctor ye was always the first one to stole my heart, you may be wondering why? He was a different kind of main guy, he was mature, beautiful, respectful and handsome. He was not that kind of main lead we always see in korean dramas (rich and childish, mistreating the girl). He never mistreated her and he always treated her with respect , thats one of the things I love about this drama. Finally, a mature main lead who is not childish. This drama is perfect for me, great poems about life and situations, deep. I just wanted them to go more into detail with every person in this drama but it didnt happen and thats okay . Overall is worth watching and beautiful, Lee Yoo BI is far good and more talented than other over rated korean females actress out there, not gonna mention names. SHE WAS JUST GREAT.

hailightdramas
May 21, 2018
PLOT: There is not really a plot in this drama; it's more a setting in the everyday life of physiotherapists combined with a poem adjusted for each episode. The poems indeed - apart from the quirky humour (I laughed a lot) - were the parts I liked the most about this drama. As a fan of reading myself, I finally got the chance to get to know some Korean poetry, which also inspired me to write my own.
CHARACTERS: Cute. And Awkward. And just adorable. I normally don't emphasize too much on the romance, but the (healthy!) relationship in this drama had me honestly squealing. I'd like some 'advice' on where to find a man like Doctor Ye now, please!
SCENERY / MUSIC: Most of the drama plays (obviously) in a hospital, but there were some other scenes that gave me a nice and calming vacation feeling. For the music - very pleasant, I liked it a lot!

Would recommend to someone who: is in need of a few good laughs | is not in the mood for unnecessary drama or too much action | likes poetry or wants to give it a try | wants fluffy feels

Sam-I-Am
May 21, 2018
This show threw me for a bit of a loop. I thought I knew who the main lead was, and then it turned out to be the least dramatic love triangle I have ever seen. Like, the person she liked was the person she loved. He never got jealous that someone else liked her.
That said, the second lead character got shanked in the plot sense. lol. He was bad and then he was good and then he was cute and then all of a sudden he was a jerk again. It was a plot rollercoaster.
If you like poetry, than you will love all the poetry in this drama. I liked it sometimes, but other times, it was just too much. Just like some of the characters. Joo young Joo young and mr. indecisive were just eyerollingly annoying. Funny sometimes, but mostly just over the top.
In the end, the drama gets a pretty high rating from me because I loved the main couple so much. It entertained me and kept my interest. It had some interesting plot twists. It's not one that I will be rewatching anytime soon though. And I deducted points because the ending felt very ... unfinished.

chimuras
May 16, 2018
The first few episodes were great, but it feels like the drama had too many relationships and problems to take care of, resulting in landing on a weird place.

Each characters had unique backgrounds, and the drama exposed them really well. Misunderstanding in the past, refusal, infertility, poverty, children, family, cheating... these things were included and were revealed in a positive way.
HOWEVER, it just ended with the reveal.
Basically, the directors threw in those interesting factors, but they forgot to pick them all up in the end. They only took care of the love triangle. I had questions while watching it, like:
What about their relationship? What happened to his dream? What was the point of having that scene if you are not touching it again anymore?
For me, it was quite disappointing.

Story: As I said, fun until the last few episodes, and went MIA. Didn't have any remarks or excitement. If you like poems, then this drama is for you.

Acting/Cast: Good choice, but nothing more.

Music: Matches the poem.

Rewatch Value: Good source of finding an interesting poem. However, it might be different when you read the English subtitles.

Overall: It was a good relaxing drama. I was watching parallel with "The Great Seducer", which was quite negative, this drama was "healed" me. However, this drama lacked excitement, that some viewers may find this boring.

kingsqueen
May 16, 2018
This was a light and innocent show about nothing 'spectacular'....but it was sweet and touching, so I'm rating it an 8 because it was still unique in its own way. Although it's got a medical setting (the main characters are physical therapists), I wouldn't call it a medical drama. Perhaps the idea of the characters being physical therapists is a way of showing that healing is sometimes a journey.

I enjoyed all the characters and the glimpse into their ordinary lives. The poems that they included with certain scenes really went well with the stories they showed in each episode. It seems as though they wrote a lot of the stories around each poem, but they did it in a natural way that tugged at your heartstrings. I thought the premise sounded quite odd when I read the synopsis, but it turned out really nice. There were misunderstandings amongst the characters and that seemed to be the basis for a lot of the drama, and characters would have to reflect on themselves for judging a situation too quickly and without all the facts.
While I thought that a couple of the characters weren't as fleshed out as they could have been, we did get to take a peek at most of them and find something to relate to in each one. I liked the relationships between the co-workers - the friendships that developed and how they learned to care for one another. I loved that each of the main characters had their own little 'catchphrase' as it brought some humor to the show. But the characters, while interesting, were also shallowly developed in a way, so there was something just a bit lacking to me in that area.
I enjoyed the light bit of romance (there is a bit of a love triangle, but still nothing overly dramatic), and I was happy with who Woo Bo Young ended up with.

If you are looking for a relaxing show to watch to ease your mind and not have any overwhelming angst and heavy drama, then this is a perfect show for that. I think it's mostly about human relationships and understanding others. I'm happy I decided to watch it and I would recommend it! I think if you are not into the 'slice of life' style of show, you may find this slow paced or boring.

May 16, 2018
A Poem a Day is a medical drama with focus on the romance genre. The story involves doctors who work in a rehabilitation clinic, as well as nurses and trainees. We expecially follow the story of a young physical therapist, who meets her ex love interest in the clinic and falls in love with the new team leader. Now, the medical cases weren't that interesting, as they were short, few and didn't give us neither many information on the situation nor some closure to them. The romance, however was very nice with the love triangle slowly developing into a strong one. I do wish there were more episodes, though, cause the drama focused on the romance and didn't give many details on the other characters stories. But, overall, it was a sweet and cute drama, which I much enjoyed, so 8 out of 10.