Nobuta Wo Produce (2005) poster

J-Drama
Favorite Dramas

IWatchDramas
Aug 15, 2014
Opinion after watching - A must-watch drama.

My favourite character - Shuji. Definitely.

Music - Seishun Amigo is one of my favourite OST tracks. I especially loved the ending piggie version.

I don't know why I love Shuji more. I just took an immediate liking to him. I think he is wayy underrated. I only see Akira being a favourite among dramalovers. Shuji is such a complex character; caring and helpful at heart and struggles to find his true self. He puts his family and friends before himself and I found that admirable. I could relate to his situations and liked his monologue. I didn't hate him for being fake friendly to others in the beginning. In the end, he learned a life lesson(me too!)

I loved their friendship to bits and cried in the last episode. Made me miss my friends. I love the special touches to each character. Nobuta Power!! Kon kon! And Shuji's tied up hair! so damn cute..:D

khjfan01
Jun 12, 2014
I love friendship dramas, and that's what Nobuta Wo Produce is all about!

Now, I'm not gonna lie and say this is my absolute favorite friendship drama, because it's definitely not. I've seen much better ones that have left me fully satisfied and with warm fuzzy feelings. I was not satisfied by the ending of this drama at all, but it wasn't terrible, just meh. However, my issue with this drama lies with the fact that we never got a definite reason to why Nobuta's bully hates her so much. This really leaves me frustrated. But still, I'm going to recommend this drama. It's not long, only 10 eps (I marathoned it and just finished), and it's got Yamapi and Horikita Maki.

I don't think this is a must-see, but it's good enough, and it's definitely one of the better dramas out there. If you love dramas about friendship, watch this.

Kenny
May 14, 2016
My first drama I ever watched. When I read the plot of the drama I was interested on watching it. First episode just hooked me on to the drama. I think it's the best drama ever made. This drama teaches about friendship which is why I loved it. It's so perfect a girl who has no friends being bullied hangs with a guy who's funny and a guy who doesn't want to show his true feelings to others. I get all happy when I'm watching this drama. Each episode makes me feel better every time I watch it. This was the best cast I seen as main roles Maki,Yampi,and Kame! I so wish there was a special after the drama. I really want to see Maki,Yampi,and Kame in a drama again altogether. There will be no drama better than Nobuta Wo Produce!

fanitha
May 6, 2016
This is a story that if anything talks about friendship.
The drama follows the story of Shuuji (Kamenashi Kazuya) a popular guy that lives deceiving everyone around him just to be popular, Akira (Yamashita Tomohisa) a strange guy that wants to befriend Shuuji and Nobuko (Horikita Maki) a new girl student that pretty much acts as a zombie.
These two guys join forces and decide to transform Nobuko into a popular girl, giving her the nickname of "Nobuta".

This drama it’s about friendship and about being oneself. I was hoping for the love line story to develop but at the end it did not. The ending is a little bit weird and it want’ what I was expecting. Even though I had lots of fun watching this drama.
Overall it’s a fun drama and you get to see Yamapi acting weird and “baka” instead of cool.
You’ll be very entertained through out the story and will laugh out loud with some of the “happenings”. Give it a try and watch it for a light hearted drama.

RebeccaS
Sep 6, 2014
Well you might think that this is the traditional romantic comedy with the ugly duckling turning to a swan but it's not.... It's the story about finding oneself and accepting it, falling in love and making friends. It shows the importance to be true to yourself and that no matter how unfit you might seem with some people, the best friendship in life you may experience, might come from them... It's so queer, funny and ackward that reminds you, your school years and how emotional all seemed then... It's a certain must watch!!!
NB4Y
Mar 14, 2015
Here's a nice drama. Nothing outstanding but still a good one.

The story was kinda clichéd, but still well done. The second half of the drama is slightly better than the first one, it has some supernatural elements even though it's supposed to be realistic, but nothing too negative; other than that, there's not really much to say about it.

The acting was overall good. Some side characters were bad but some others were good. The three main actors were just perfectly in their role.
Although, the characters weren't really well-developed. Except the main characters, the others were really lacking a good development and the antagonist was just disappointing. Even though this is personal, Akira's character was unpleasant during a lot of episodes; in the end I still managed to accept it and even like his role.

The music can actually be the best part of it. The ending is very good and the main themes are actually awesome. But the over-usage of the main theme and the mediocre ones lower the score.

If you like simple school dramas and have no problem (or like) the bullying theme, then Nobuta wo Produce is a good choice.

chesed
Aug 24, 2017
Good friends are hard to come by, and sometimes those reasons are because we often push away others for what we think is best for ourselves. The lack of trust is often a by-product of selfishness.

I hate the word "expectation" because it has the rather high potential of being destructive. Many times expectations set us up for unnecessary downfalls. I watched Nobuta wo Produce with rather large expectations. Rather than crashing down on itself, the show scaled up the "wall of expectation" with incredible ease -- a popular show proved itself worthy of my tears.

Nobuta wo Produce attacked almost every one of my soft points. For example, one of the best characters, Uehara Mariko (played by Toda Erika, who did a fabulous job of being hot), despite her hanging relationship having been blown away by truthful words, realized how important that truth was and continued to care for her crush as much as she used to. It takes incredible strength of character to do that. I believe this is part of what makes this drama so special -- the fact that each character learns and grows from their high school experiences.

I found myself tearing up at certain points at almost every episode, many times dabbing my eyes at points that don't even make much sense to shed a tear at (I do this often). I was sorta disappointed at how formulaic each episode was with the blatant "theme" having to be solved by the three main characters, but the writing was done so well and the acting every bit as good as the writing that for the most part I didn't care. Every episode had me at attention and ready to face the next thing it was going to dish out. Near the middle of the series it had my complete trust that it was going to move me by the end of each episode.

This was my second exposure to Kamenashi Kazuya, as I started (and finished) this series after watching the first three episodes of Sapuri. Watching Sapuri, I wasn't too interested in this actor, but in Nobuta wo Produce, he did a good job of being the loner wearing the popular guy mask. Yamashita Tomohisa did particularly well acting as the eccentric self-proclaimed friend; after watching the episode 0 special and ending special you get a clear view of how abstractly different his character and real persona is. And like many people, I first saw Horikita Maki in Densha Otoko with an obviously tiny role as the sister. I felt she didn't really get a chance to spread her wings in Nobuta wo Produce. She did a great job being the one who gave up on the world, her dark, brooding personality screaming for help. I know her role required this, but besides frowns and tearing frowns, topped with several half-assed smiles, it didn't really allow her to cover a decent emotional expanse. Still, her character here was extraordinarily different than Densha's, so that warrants some merit.

Nobuta wo Produce was a great series and knowing full well that it would never get a second season like most other good dramas, I bet you 20 bucks that they could easily come up with another season of material for this. And that is a great thing for a show to have: potential. Excellent drama!

(Originally posted August 1st, 2006.)

asuka
Apr 1, 2017
I love this drama!! This is the first drama I've actually finished.
I think it's one of the sweetest dramas I've ever seen. It was very enjoyable to watch, and I looked forward to every episode. The acting was great and it was so good that sometimes I found myself laughing. Characters were very memorable, likeable, and they all had character development. I really enjoyed the story as well, although it's not really original but it was very fun to watch. It was a sweet, heartwarming story about friendship... I would recommend this to anyone.
ripplingseas
Jul 22, 2018
Well, it's a really charming jdrama with a good cast. To tell the truth, I'm not a fan of Japanese absurd comedies but the characters here and their friendship are represented in a very colorful way, although, let's be frank, the main strength of this drama is a duo of two of the most charismatic Japanese actors: Kamenashi Kazuya and Yamapi. However, they are really great here and the chemistry between them is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful bromances in the jdramas I've ever seen. Well, the character of Horikita Maki here often seems quite annoying but somehow all the time you can feel a cozy atmosphere between the main characters.
Talking about the story, it's an usual school story with a bit of bullying. Nevertheless, the good point of it is that the characters (especially Kamenashi's role of a popular guy) are reflected with really convincing doubts and confusion. The weakness of this cool guy seems realistic and the improving of his pusillanimity quite well developed. So, it's simply refreshing watching this drama.

May 20, 2017
"Nobuta Wo Produce" may not have the most original premise, however, the characters are what make the original drama. They are the glue that holds the drama, they are what makes you laugh and cry and then laugh a little more. "Nobuta Wo Produce" was written with intelligence. There are many who try to mask a rather clichéd premise that end up as dimensional caricatures.
"Nobuta Wo Produce" breaks the mold of conventional high school dramas by developing the characters in such a way that each has its own definable bow that lead to a beautifully written change in character
"Nobuta Wo Produce" is an original drama, but not in the conventional sense. It's an original because it has such a big heart that it makes you fall in love with the characters. That is unique in every sense of the word.

Alicja
Feb 25, 2017
I don't remember much from this drama... :/ It wasn't so bad but for sure not one of my favourites
arashinta
Nov 19, 2019
[WARNING: the rating and review I give have the possibility to be subjective due to my preference for the genres, scenes or casts]

I still remember the voice Yamapi use when he said, "Shuji-kun" (^o^) The way he talk and move is so funny. And that "kon" part hahaha me and my friends still use that (^o^) I just like this drama, I can't explain why, but the vibe and the atmosphere in this movie is so heartwarming, maybe because this dorama share a lot about friendship. Oh! And that little Nakajima Yuto is so adorable (´ ω `♡) Bye bye-cycle (^_^)