Rooftop Prince (2012) poster

Historical
Rich Guy/Poor Girl

GraceLauzon
Jan 14, 2013
Rooftop Prince is now my favorite Korean drama of all. The actors, story, music, and scenes are really great. All I can say is that you can be swept away by the emotions that the actors are portraying all throughout this drama.

You'll be definitely hooked once you started watching this and can't stop yourself until you've finished the 20 episodes of it. You'll love every moment watching this drama!!! I love it so much!!!
hanjimin
May 27, 2012
This drama was absolutely amazing.

I started watching this drama because a friend had told me so much about it. She knew I was a sucker for romance, and thought I'd enjoy this drama.

The music was mesmerizing, and fantasically helps display the different emotions portrayed in the drama. The cast was perfect. The two leading roles had sizzling chemistry. :D

The plot was very interesting. It kept me watching episode by episode...I didn't skip any parts!!

I especially loved how the plot of this super amazing drama makes the viewers think if there is a "fated" or "destined" person out in the world for them (if you watch the drama, you'll understand what I mean).

I honestly recommend this drama for viewers who are looking for a romantic, historical-modern, and comedic drama. Or, for viewers who are looking for dramas that could help the time past. This is also the perfect drama to cry and laugh to.

Also, in terms of the rewatch value, I gave it a 10, because the drama captures so much detail. The filiming was beautifully captured. :)

"The Rooftop Prince" is definitely one of my favourite dramas ever!! I finished this drama in three days. That's how great this is!

lexies
Aug 25, 2012
This is the third time I'm writing this review. Somehow it got deleted again.

I'll be brief.

What I liked about this drama:
1. retainers trio (they had lot of potential)
2. You keep guessing till the end who killed the princess.
3. Actors playing villains were amazing unfortunately they characters weren't.
4. Sad song (I think it's called Hurt)

What I didn't like:
1. Villains were one dimensional character without any depth.
2. Han Ji Min's character was very boring and her acting didn't improve the character
3. Retainers trio potential wasn't used. Their character weren't developed and were used more like extras and in comedy elements than helping progress the plot.
4. Main leads were stupid.

Egynormal
Apr 28, 2014
THIS WILL BE LONG REVIEW PLS IF U HAVE ANY POINTS U WANT TO DISCUSS SEND ME MSG

I decided to write review about this drama because i only watched it accidentally as it was advertised or over-hyped from where iam.
Even so its Ranked: #54 and its Popularity: #13 i think its still underrated as it should be in top 10 kdramas.
May be my review (i wish) will help and encourage to watch this drama and not miss this marvelous experience.

I will not write the story so not to spoil it but the summary description here is not very good.
The general idea is about 2 sisters one good and other bad. Moreover; it shows how u can sometimes and sadly not see the true love match which in front of u as u are concentrated on the wrong person.
Also; the movement between old and modern world is amazing actually i like thee linking between them and the idea reincarnation here as its executed excellently.
The story has sad funny emotional suspense aspects all that u need in good drama not to miss off course the romantic part of this story (which one of the best romance stories out there)

Acting:
i will not go in details here on the acting as they were all (main and supporting roles) almost perfect.
I liked specially the king servants they had quit funny scenes and they made me laugh quiet a bit.
Not to mention; the sad scenes were heart breaking and it wil make u shed some tears.

10 offcourse on of my top ost in all time. i downloaded it instantly and listen to it once a while as it bring bad memories about this drama.
Even if u not watch this drama search for the ost; i almost guarantee that u will like it.

Rewatch:
I don't rewatch dramas again but i rewatched some episodes in this drama again which means that this drama left an effect on me even after 1 year.
this indicate that its a good drama that will make u emotionally attached to it.

Overall: a MUST TO WATCH DRAMA THAT SHOULD BE ONE OF TOP 10 KDRAMAS

i_am_andi
May 9, 2014
This drama is long overdue in my list. Basically, I heard great reviews but I just can't find time until today. In all fairness to this drama, once you start watching it, you can't stop. The story makes sense. I love the mystery. I love it when dramas made me think hard to try to solve the mystery (like CSI). Its the best part of this drama, solving the mystery. The way the writers plotted it makes you really want to watch until the end. Very clever.

The acting was good but I have to admit, the 3 back-up of the crown prince were really funny. But I have to give the award to Lee Tae Sung (Yong Tae Mu) on this one. HE was so into the character that I hated him to the highest level.

The music is okay but not the kind of music I will download in my phone.

Overall, again, its worth the time and its worth the wait. I've given it 8.5 because I'm not sure about the tandem/love story side of it.

MysticLullaby
Jul 10, 2012
I'm not really sure where to start off with this wonderful drama, I watched this while it was airing and the reason i'm only writing a review now is that i couldn't find the right words to describe this drama, It's really amazing, A genre of it's own, i loved that it dealt with topics such as Fate and recarnation as i personally love and believe in them.

I knew even before i finished this drama that a part of me would always miss this. The story was amazing which is what got me hooked and painfully waiting every week for an episode.
The music in the drama was beautiful, After a Long Time is one of the most beautiful songs i've heard yet and goes perfectly with the story.

The acting was done wonderfully, One thing that always amazes me by Park Yoochun is he's acting, I think he really is a talented actor and played the role of Lee gak amazingly, i love how he gets so into his character and that you can know exactly how he feels from the expressions on his face, he really can convey emotions wondefully, which is the key in my opinion to great acting, Ha ji min was great as well, very beautiful performance and they both had amazing chemistry, I really loved her character and of course the 3 musketeers lol you just have to love each one of them, Also Se Ne and Tae Mu , the 2 characters you just loved to hate did very well acting too.

This is one of those rare shows for me that i can see me wactching even when i'm old and full of wrinkles asumming i live that long lol.

With the ending, Alot of people did and probably would like it but personally i wasn't satisfied with it, It wasn't my type of ending, I like more simple endings but i accepted it. I will admit the ending was really sad and beautiful, i guess a bittersweet ending?
I truly loved every scene in this drama and currently trying hard to wait a little while longer before i watch this again. I also think this was one of the funniest dramas i've watched up to around episode 12 but of course the more serious issues kicked in to and it still had me impatiently waiting for next week, I really miss waiting each week for this drama but i think even after 300 years i will still miss this drama :D

This drama is hilarous, romantic, lighthearted yet serious, but i find it somewhat sad at the same time. If you haven watched it yet, you really should, it's really really beautiful, i found everything beautiful about it, the story,the acting, the music, the setting and athmosphere. Well if you've read all of my ranting then you should watch it, i doubt you'll be dissapointed. I actually could go on and on about this drama but for your sake i will stop lol.

All i know is that this drama has become my favourite most loved drama ever and i've had the same favourite drama for the past 2 years so hint as to how great it is.

Even though i don't think my review is great, i just don't think i can find the right words to describe my feelings for Rooftop Prince or Lee Gak and Park Ha but i hope you enjoyed it and will watch it if you haven't already :) Right now i'm even listening to the ost, I can't believe it's been nearly 2 months already since it finished airing :( Where does the time go?

wiz2knight
Jun 6, 2012
I started watching K-dramas two years ago and this being my very first maiden drama review on this site speaks volume about "Rooftop Prince" and the impression it has left on me. Three days had passed since I completed the show and the touching scenes within the show kept flashing in my mind even when I am writing this review.

At the beginning, it seems to have the making to be just a pure comedy given the ridiculous time travel element and yes, the first few episodes were very light hearted but they did a superb job in introducing the bigger scheme of things to come as well as set the stage for an epic romance between Lee Gak/Tae Yong and Park Ha that transcend the test of time and space. There were lots of heart-warming as well as heart-wrenching moments between those two. I witnessed my wife cried like a baby on several ocassions :)

Without revealing any potential spoilers, I personally like the last two episodes and I thought it was a beautiful and poetic way to end such a wonderful show even though it does leave you with a tinge of sadness. I think the message here is love will stand the test of time and to be together is worth celebrating no matter what may happen in the future.

Cast:
I can't find a single fault with any of the actors and actresses. They were totally into their roles. I like Mickey ever since I watched him in Sungkunkwan Scandal and I thought he was already very good then. In this show, he more than better his own performance. As for Han Ji Min, well, what can I say, this is the first time I ever watched her and I am already a fully converted fan of her after this show. Everytime she cries, she has the ability to make you feel really sad for Park Ha. I am already planning to watch her Padam Padam and Yi San after this show.

The OST for this drama is simply stunning especially the main theme song (not the funny one but the sad one, those who watched the show will know which one I am referring to). The lyrics brought out the essence of the entire show perfectly. If you listen to the song together with the lyrics especially during those heart-wrenching moments, it does makes u feel like crying.

Rewatch Value:
Usually I won't rewatch dramas because you already know the plot but this is one which I will definitely rewatch again within the next 3 months. It was that good!

starry_skyline
May 25, 2012
The story, my god. It was amazing. There are twists and turns around every corner. YOU'LL THINK YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN, BUT YOU'RE WRONG. The writers have crafted this story so well.

The cast----they stick onto you. Even when the drama's over, you'll have their faces and obsession over omourice engraved into your head. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the acting. I sat in the corner of my room and cried my butt off. When Lee Gak and Park Ha cry, it's so sincere that I get goosebumps.

The music---it's very catchy. But they keep replaying it over and over again. There was a part in Episode 20 that the music was abruptly cut off. Other than that, everything was A-OK.

Many people can get confused by the storyline.
So it's a definite MUST, to rewatch the drama. You might catch things that you've missed. ;D

Overall, I definitely recommend this drama to those who can handle mood swings. One episode and you'll be hooked. Dare to test my theory?

VioletSakura
May 25, 2012
What dies though it lives, and lives though it dies...

This is a love story that conquers the time and space, and yes, it's sometimes silly and making little sense, sometimes funny and smart, sometimes sad and teary, sometimes cute and romantic... I found all these features in this drama, and as you can see from my rating I liked it, as it made me smile, laugh, be sad and cry... just what I need from a drama like this.
If you're looking for a serious crime-detective drama, this is not for you, though the plot is consistent in the sense that, yes, you get to discover the truth gradually, but it plays out many more mini plots, that may not interest a person who is looking for a serious drama.
The theories of reincarnation are much touched in the drama, which were actually making me thing about it hard enough I had developed my own theories about the plot not knowing the outcome, fortunately I wasn't that far off of what the writers had been thinking.
Though the ending is kind of bitter-sweet, I let go of my sadness, and chose to be happy with it, not going too deep, as the show was just whispering into my ear... 'I didn't want that serious of an attitude, just let it go, it's alright'... I'm happy!

I am very content with all the actors and characters. I loved and cared much for the goodies, and hated (most of you have noticed my antiSeNa syndrome in its most cruel incarnations, lol) the baddies.
YooChun was sweet and clever (not always). I liked his character a lot, being a Joseon King and at the same time portraying childishness and wittiness...
Han JiMin's ParkHa is not my ideal female character, but I liked her tomboyish attitude in the beginning and her standing up to SeNa very much, and her BooYong, though seen very shortly mirrored her ParkHa very much, I liked the parallels!
I would like to mention SeNa's actress very much. She played her role brilliantly, I will hate SeNa for as long as I live... brilliant performance!
The 3 Joseon man made the show more yummy and funny, clever and cute!
Music is also very good, and my opinions portrays the drama very well, especially the piece 'Empty'... it just pierces my heart every time I listen to it. ALi's 'Jurt' and Baek Ji-Yong's 'After a Long Time' will be in my iPod for a long time...

Overall, this drama is worth a watch I think, it gave me the answers to the questions I had, I had a lot of laugh, I cried... all I needed from this drama...
I'm happy ^^ I'll miss it!

Ninjari
Aug 11, 2013
I tried my best not to vote all 10's. This was my first kdrama I've seen, just the name 'Rooftop Prince' caught my eye enough to check it out, and I'm glad that I did. It lived up to all 3 genres it claimed, romance, comedy and drama of course. I would definitely re-watch this at some point and it surprised me how into it I was since I never liked a drama before, so anyone who thinks drama's are just boring then you're wrong because I was the SAME way until I saw this, I even teared up a few times as much as I don't want to admit that.

Realistically it's an easy 10.10 overall, unrealistically I give it a 20/10

Nana-J
Mar 9, 2014
At first I refused to watch this drama because all of the guys on the cover were wearing track suites. Eventually I realized what a stupid reason that was not to watch what looked like a really great drama, so I watched it.
The story is complicated but easy to keep up with. The first five episodes of this drama are ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! then it evens out into a more engaging story line with a lot of really funny parts, but less extreme on the humor. That's okay though because it's still entertaining and the plot really sucks you in.
The acting was good. I shouldn't really judge cause I cant tell the difference between good and bad acting unless it's REALLY obvious, so it must have been okay. The main girl and four main guys are really fun together. Like, so great that even I can tell ;)
Didn't really care for the music but they didn't play anything out of place.
I would (and probably will) re-watch the first five episodes any day and all day! But now that I know how the mystery ends I probably wont watch the whole thing over. That being said, I did finish this drama some three days ago, maybe in a month I'll have a sudden desperate need to watch the whole thing played out again. But probably not.
Over all as soon as I finished this drama I just sat stunned in my chair for a couple of minutes thinking "Wow. This was AMAZING!". I waited a few days before writing this review just to be sure it truly is that amazing.
Trust me, it is.

Warning: bitter sweet ending!
Side note: Don't worry, they lose the track suites eventually :)

Dropped 20/20
nikhapi
Dropped 0
The early episodes of this drama is very enjoyable to watch. With all the comedy it has, you will mistake it to a sitcom program. So overall it won't hurt to watch this at all. But what didn't work for me is the draggy episodes at 14 and up. I gave up watching this and just now I rekindle my love for this drama and I managed to finish it. All I can say now is.. What a SATISFYING ending!

As for the soundtrack, SKKS maybe my favorite sountrack OST but this drama soundtrack is not bad at all! From Baek Ji Young's after a long time to Ali's hurt and to Jay Park's Happy Ending. It's good and not cheesy at all!

My advise for people who wants to see this but doesn't have a time to finish the total 20 hours long drama. You won't miss a thing if ever you only watch the beginning, partly the middle and finally the ending.

BTW, the reason why I gave this drama a perfect 10 for story wise is I think if drama writers consider to make a story of Lee Gak, the Crown Princess and Bu Yong at Josean time, I see a good sageuk drama coming...