2018 Watch Challenge Discussion

This discussion has been closed.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 YanFaisal:

I have a question about the awards category

Can be any award? If an actor has a SBS Drama Awards, can they count to this category? Or only the major awards can count like baeksaeng and such?

Yes, they count. Any award works.

Viktorija:

Saaaaame, the whole "Favorites" category is useless for me, mayyybe I could stretch and find favorite actors but I don't have an obsessive personality so it's hard for me to pick. I guess I'll just skip this one.

RoseRain:

Same girl! I don't really have a "favorite" but I do have actors I do really like and look forward to their new drama so that made it easier for me to classify them under the favorite tag but the directors/screenwriters is a bit... I can't name a single person from that category.

Maybe while competing in the challenge you might discover your favorite director or screenwriter.

RoseRain:

I'm just asking for clarification (I have a feeling it's a stupid question) but is it okay to add drama I started in 2017 but it's still airing in 2018? Like Prison Playbook?

The rules state you must start the drama in 2018 for the Watch Challenge. Sorry, Prison Playbook cannot be part of the 2018 Watch Challenge. 

JustJackieB:

The rules state you must start the drama in 2018 for the Watch Challenge. Sorry, Prison Playbook cannot be part of the 2018 Watch Challenge. 

Yes, it can, if RoseRain does not started watching Prison Playbook in 2017.
The way you said, we only have to watch 2018 dramas, when in several categories of the points systems we have to watch dramas or movies from earlier years.

Miaya:

Then it must be my limited English as I did read the rules carefully :) For me dramas I haven't finished watching are dramas I haven't watched, so that's why there was the confusion. So to make it clear for me, I have to start watching everything in 2018 and nothing I started previously can be included even though it will be finished in 2018.

Yes, that's true. You can start your own drama challenge with your friends. My MDL friend, Cherry Bunny, does monthly challenges. Here's a pic of her monthly challenge.

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 Jenny:

i'm confused by the points system :( 

For example, if I watch a drama that is 25+ hours, and falls under the "doubles" category, I get 6 points? If I watch a movie from the 1950's, I get 3 points? 

I'm excited for this challenge though! I can't wait to see everyone's progress :)

That is correct.

RoseRain:
What if I don't have a favorite director/screenwriter (because I don't pay attention to that...) Should I try to "discover" my favorite director/screenwriter? I'm not sure what I should do with this one.

Viktorija:
Saaaaame, the whole "Favorites" category is useless for me, mayyybe I could stretch and find favorite actors but I don't have an obsessive personality so it's hard for me to pick.

Maybe if you don't have a particular favorite director or writer in mind, it could be interpreted as "watch another drama/movie from the same director/writer as one of your favorite dramas/movies"?  I mean, your favorites are your favorites for a reason, right?  So it's worth exploring what other works they've produced.  I would think those directors and writers are your favorites by default if you can't think of any others.  Even if you don't know them by name, they're probably your favorites. :)

zeamays:

Maybe if you don't have a particular favorite director or writer in mind, it could be interpreted as "watch another drama/movie from the same director/writer as one of your favorite dramas/movies"?  I mean, your favorites are your favorites for a reason, right?  So it's worth exploring what other works they've produced.  I would think those directors and writers are your favorites by default if you can't think of any others.  Even if you don't know them by name, they're probably your favorites. :)

That's an excellent point, thank you! :)

For Favourite Diretor and Screenwriter. Check your favourite dramas. You might be surprised at the number of dramas you’ve already seen by them. Plus they should have others that you haven’t seen. 

I remember watching a drama that in the end scenes had dolls dressed up as characters from the show.  I noticed this in another drama, as well as them standing in front of a poster for the stage show, so I checked the director. It was a few years ago I could be wrong in the details  

If you like the interactions of the characters and their dialog it’s probably the writer. Although I don’t use it much, it is a great way to find other series to watch. 

Usually I stick to actors/actresses or tropes. 

Sorry quite new to MDL so can someone enlighten me on how to copy and paste the forms?

clandestine00:

Sorry quite new to MDL so can someone enlighten me on how to copy and paste the forms?

The only way to copy in the forums is using the keyboard shortcut; highlight what you want to copy and then press the Ctrl key and the c key at the same time. Paste should work like normal, but you can also press the Ctrl key and the v key together.

Echo:

The only way to copy in the forums is using the keyboard shortcut; highlight what you want to copy and then press the Ctrl key and the c key at the same time. Paste should work like normal, but you can also press the Ctrl key and the v key together.

Thank you! :)

This user has lot of list on profile page which will be useful to pick dramas for challenge- https://mydramalist.com/profile/Neyjour

can I use one of single points categories such as Romance but then move to double points and triple points categories and do all 8 of them?

I have a question! If I watch a movie or drama in 2018 before signing up for this challenge, whenever I do sign up will it still be able to count? 

Hessa Volunteer Staff

Yes, if you have watched it on 2018. Also, please remember the date you started the challene so that I can calulate how many day you took.

jo:

I have a question! If I watch a movie or drama in 2018 before signing up for this challenge, whenever I do sign up will it still be able to count?