U-Prince The Series: The Gentle Vet

KainGuru
May 13, 2017
STORY: A romcom where the guy chases the girl. There are some side plots that were pointless and probably didn't need to be there (the stalker). This story also suffers from the Let's-not-talk-seriously-for-more-than-five-minutes-so-we-can-misunderstand-each-other-the-whole-episode form of communication. It was way overused; a sign of poor writing. If these people simply talked stuff out it would have saved heartaches. There are some LGBT themes in this, specifically LG and T were represented.

ACTING/CAST: I liked Udomsilp Sutatta in Hormones the Series as Toei, unfortunately she plays the exact same character in this: the girl that is so dense and clueless about boys that she can't tell when he's into her and spends the entire series misunderstanding EVERYTHING.

MUSIC: I liked the music, and it's always fun when they have a concert in these shows.

REWATCH VALUE: Maybe. The hilarious scenes had me laughing hard. But, since this story is recycled into Senior Secret Love: Puppy Honey, I might rewatch that instead.

OVERALL: Romantic, some of it was super funny, can be slow in parts, and frustrating (communication issues), but it was worth watching.

Just Peachy
Oct 18, 2016
This is the first Thai drama I've ever watched. It was weird at first hearing their language as I'm used to Korean language, but then again I guess it's weird for everyone hearing other country's language. The acting is not good but I like the leads. The girl is really cute and her expressions were awkward but funny. Thesis is attractive as well and he acted better. Punpun is kinda cute too. I adored those three.

This Thai teen romance is pretty similar to Filipino teen romance. But Thai is a bit bold for tackling homosexuality for their young age. The kiss was awkward and conservative but the sexual preference is not. The plot was light and a bit entertaining to some level. I did get a few laughs from the scenes and I found some moments to be sweet. Compared to other teen romance I've watched like The Heirs, Boys over Flowers, and Meteor Garden, this Thai drama is simple and less melodramatic, not glamorous unlike Korean dramas, more relatable in the sense that their dialogue is light and they actually communicate their feelings and their situation. Korean characters dont have this kind of communication. I like that this is more realistic in a way that it's just simple. The way they portrayed their interaction and respect with each other seems more natural to me than how Koreans portray each other with such high respect. Korean culture is definitely more conservative but their romantic scenes have so much heart that even with just how the characters gaze at each other and with simple touch of holding hands gets me all giddy lol.

This drama is probably not enough to interest me in watching more Thai drama but I'll give it another shot with a different genre that has an interesting and complex plot. Overall I did like the series and 4 hours is enough. So if you're looking for something light, mindless, and non-stressful you should give it a try.

Anna0_0
Dec 1, 2017
This is a very short show so the review will be shorter as well.

Story: This is somewhat of a stereotypical rom-com plot.  A handsome guy pursues the girl he likes, people get in the way, friends and family help patch things etc. etc. BUT this wasn't 100% like all the rom-coms I have seen, there were some nice twists on the rom-com drama ideas you have. BIG, BIG, BIG round of applause for inclusion of LGBTQ+ characters and questions, while it was not the best and there was some cliche aspects this is a series that openly has characters that are part of the community. I also enjoy the way they sneak future princes into each installment so you slowly get ready for the next guy. The writing was not stand out but it was written well enough and executed as best as it could be. EXCEPT FOR THIS LINE, WHICH I LOVED: "Love isn't about gender. It's about whom you feel good with." Ohhh, girl PREACH.

Cast: The cast was great. I absolutely fell in love with so many characters in this show, especially Pete. The chemistry between the leads was fairly good, as well as with one of the other couples. The family aspect was also very, very good and warmhearted. The script was not the best but the cast did well with what they had. I also enjoyed the fact that not every cast member was absurdly beautiful like carbon copies but had individual looks (short hair on some, pants rather than skirts, tougher personalities, crooked teeth etc.) and interesting features were not altered. I also highly enjoyed not every cast member was whitewashed.

Music: I was expecting some of the same music, due to the shortness of the show, but I was introduced to a fairly new OST. One theme remained to tie the series to its predecessor but there were also 2 or 3 new songs as well.

Rewatch: For me this show has a high rewatch value and binge value. This show can easily be finished in an afternoon/evening and is fairly light-hearted enough that you don't feel the time passing or want to stop. I personally liked this one more than Handsome Cowboy (U-Prince series 1) because it did not try to cram too much into 4 episodes and the male lead was not as volatile. All the characters were written much more consistently. If you want a show with romance, fun, some LGBTQ+ awareness, and eye candy this is for you.

Like I said this one is a short watch but it is a pretty cute and chill one. Like always, happy drama watching! :D

Brownie
May 4, 2018
I think this installment of the U-Prince series shouldn't have been named Gentle Vet because it seemed to focus more on the fact that Thesis is clearly a germaphobe. Yeah there's little mentions and scenes with him and his dog here and there but that was about it. The story was a little all over the gaff with multiple side stories which I didn't think was necessary but hey ho.

I found the couple sweet enough - just didn't like that they tried to make Thesis appear forceful in his mission to prove his sexuality and I also love the female's brother, aunt and friend and how caring they all were towards each other. Let me not forget the little dog who I thought was absolutely adorable in the little doggy outfits. The ones who I hated were Pun Pun and Jelly. Jelly was seriously too annoying for my taste especially as she was only a side character. She was definitely Jelly by name and nature and was extremely controlling. I thought Pun Pun was a complete weirdo. The surprise appearance from T-Rex honestly made the story better but I could just be biased in saying that because I loved T-Rex's story.

Only song I truly noticed was the music played during the concert which I enjoyed.

I recommend this only to those who like the series as this one was only average in my opinion but it does have some nice scenes.

Maja
Jan 14, 2019
intro: U-PRINCE is a series of 12 series, each having 4 * 1 hour episodes, and features one young man's journey in finding love in his life.. it's set in the environment of university, and to some extent all the stories are connected, since all young men are making an appearance in other's stories as side characters.
That said, you don't really have to follow the "order of appearance", but, for those who like to keep things chronological, this it the order:
Part 1 : Handsome Cowboy
Part 9 : Single Lawyer
Part 10 : Crazy Artist
Part 11 : Badly Politics
Part 12 : Ambitious Boss
Generally, these are ALL cute stories, made to make you smile.

..as for this part:
I have taken this series without giving it much thought. I went into it as "anything goes".. oh, and it went! The Show took me to a nice adventure, with good pace, just the right amount of couple's interaction.
(but, you can read that anywhere)
Shortly: it's a tale of misunderstanding and not being ready to trust the other side; rather trusting the echoes of gossips from those around. This one teaches us, that, if people leave our lives.. we need to let other people come in our lives and stop the rain in our hearts. Also, it teaches us that love does not come in a shape & form we might expect, but more like: it's love that makes us stop caring about messy hair or over-use of disinfectant. :)
I find our OTP strangely paired-up, and yet somehow matching each-other.
The "fear of rain" as the synopsis states is not exactly that, it's more of a trigger for some unpleasant memories that usually results in uncontrollably tearing-up no matter where she is.
Also, I got to say: you GO Show, for showing us girls that attend engineering department, and are capable of taking a course on robotics. Yes, yes.. and playing football with friends, More of that, please; until it spreads all over, and people realize that is's OK to do whatever you like, no matter the "gender role".
Thumb up to this part, for showing diversity in a good light.
What I specifically noticed here is the delicate touch it gave the "third gender", introducing a character of one delightful aunt, a caring, understanding and a bit teasing person, who brought light to world of adults. These are the characters I like seeing poping up in this Show.
The Show also touches the subject of stalking.. but, literally just TOUCHES it, since we never really got to see much of it, and it remained in the cloud of mystery, ending in a quite anti-climatic way.
Also, aside from our OTP, there is another couple, quite unconventional, even for a Thai series, and without spoiling anything I'll put it in just two letters: GL. But, it's a side story, so don't expect much, ok?

Most memorable sentence:
"LOVE HAS NO GENDER".
Mind blowing.. wait, now I need to give this one a 9,00. :)

DramaNewbie
Aug 17, 2017
My uncle once told me you only stand up during a horse race at the final strech cos the finish is what matters. I am guessing the writers of the gentle vet never heard that piece of advice. This show was going well (not perfect ), until the last half of the final episode and then they sloppily tried to tie things up and I was just like...wait what ?

Overall the story is good, a very emotionally guarded girl and very emotionally needy guy fall for each other. Again opposites attract and cute romance ensues. The guy lead is super cute, the main guy was an excellent actor and really sold me on the whole charming guy spiel. The main girl, not so much. But she is young so I gave her a pass.

There were some really problematic plot holes in the story, like the ending and the jealous friends. But none bothered me more than the female leads homophobia (I guess? ) which is so off cos, she has a trans-gendered aunt and a lesbian best friend. That made no sense! It did open up a lot of discussion about discovering who you are sexually attracted to. So if that was the writers goal mission accomplished.

Overall I would recommend it because there are cute moments in it but be prepared for a stupid ending.