Hessa Volunteer Staff

First, I think we should separate it from dramas and drama specials. It should have its own tab. We should need to change the name of the current Shows tab to either Dramas or Series.

Second, genres should be removed since they are not compatible with variety shows and we should instead have types; which make it easier for people to search for different types of tv shows. Also, we should be able to choose multiple types just like the genre box works. Types I'm suggesting:

1. Beauty and Makeup Shows
  2. Comedy Sketch Show (Example: Gag Concert)
  3. Dating Show (Example: Heart Signal)
  4. Documentary Show
  5. Fashion and Style Shows
  6. Food and Cooking Show
  7. Game Show
  8. Music Show
  9. Reality Show
  10. Social Commentary Show (Example: Hello Counselor)
  11. Sport Shows
  12. Survival Competition Show
  13. Talent Show (Example: Star King
  14. Talk Show
  15. Travel Show
  16. Variety Show

Third, we need the ability to select the episodes we watched. We could have it as a checkbox in the episode guide to choose the episodes watched. Just an example:

And the watch list could just indicate how many episodes you watched.

For example, 123 episodes/200 (watched episodes)

Then when you hover over it, it could show (Episode 3-13, 29, 34). This would work for viewing the number of episodes on the watchlist.

Fourth, we need to add guests to episodes and have them show up in the episode guide. The Character box is not needed, instead, we need an episode box where we specify which episodes the person appeared on. This should be done for directors too since long variety shows change their directors.

Or only have the main cast appear on the Cast & Credits and the guests only appear in the episode guide. (Note: adding the members too to the episode guide can be helpful since some members join later or they don't appear on an episode for some reason).

Editing it in each individual episode would be better. Press edit on the episode and add the member and guests that appeared.

Extra suggestion: maybe we can include a location box. Lots of variety shows shoot episodes based on location. Law of the Jungle, Running Man, and 2 Days 1 Night do it.

Extra: If we add the 4th suggestion, it would fix the issue of the airing MUSIC STATION appearing on LAY's page as 1986. People are complaining about it saying he was not born then. Maybe if we do the 4th suggestion, the show would appear based on the episode's airing year.

167votes

these are good ideas that would allow users to track their variety shows in a more specific and thorough manner

i'm certainly no expert but it seems the only practicable way to achieve this would be to create a completely separate database that operates differently. 

Hessa Volunteer Staff
 cityhunter:
i'm certainly no expert but it seems the only practicable way to achieve this would be to create a completely separate database that operates differently. 

That is what I meant by a new tab. Just like the "People"  tab is different from "Shows" and "Movies". The search is different too.

Seems like a huge undertaking on the developers side ...although I would like to be able to track the episodes I have seen.

sounds good. also make sure the stats are distinct from dramas. 

it will have to be updated by users because theres too much to do for any single person. 

on a personal note this is ocmpeltely pointless for me and i would never use it. 

its probably more useful for a complete foriegner who doesnt have access to certain shows and want to keep track of what they deliberately seek to watch. 

but it does have it uses and if it doesnt slow down other improvements then go for it! 

I strongly agree with the 3rd and 4th suggestions, most of the time I'd watch eps either based on the guests or something so it's really hard to keep track of all of the episodes I just watched... and something else is that I always put them as on hold or dropped, because there isn't a category that fits -they aren't exactly completed, nor a currently watching show...

It'd definitely be much easier if we were able to just select specific episodes that we've seen. It's the main reason why I've neglected adding variety shows to my list at all, because I'm not a habitual watcher of them and have seen very few since I usually watch for whoever's guesting, and the existing currently watching/completed/dropped doesn't match up to that description so I wouldn't know where it'd fit on my list. Otherwise, it's not a function that I'd use that often as I rarely watch variety shows.

Oh my gosh yes!!! this is perfect. These are the things that have been on my mind ever since the update that included variety shows. I really really want to be able to select just the specific episodes I've seen. 

I don't use the feature much now because it will mess with my list :S

I agree on the third one.

I agree! For me specifically, I really want the Variety Shows to show up in a different tab in my drama list. ;;

Until we can track only the shows we watched,  I can't really make use of variety shows.  I only watch them here and there and I don't want credit for like 315 episodes if i've only watched ep 316. 

I'm most interested in number 3, tracking eps and tallying only those u've watched. 

p.s. I voted 2 times 

Related suggestion: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/suggestions/30342-need-way-of-selecting-variety-show-episodes-seen

It would be great if we could transfer the votes from there to here.

Yuanwei Volunteer Staff
 Ceki:

Related suggestion: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/suggestions/30342-need-way-of-selecting-variety-show-episodes-seen

It would be great if we could transfer the votes from there to here.

the users have to get their votes back manually and then vote here