Ok, I'm not convinced by this drama. So far it is nothing special really,. I haven't read the manga or so, so I don't know what to expect. I am not convinced by Matsu's character and this female leading as well. They are simply stupid for me. Yeah I cannot name it differently, because it is like not moving on and still being in the same corner which is not even comfty. Anyway the only one I enjoy is Olivier. He is so far the most resonable character here. I hope he can manage with Souta's sister. After episode 3 I have no idea if I will be able to manage it till the very end. I'm bored by this drama.
I loved episode 4! I just don't know who to root for. *Every time Erena comes on the screen, I cheer for her and every time Kaoroko comes on the screen, I cheer too. I'm even, in a way, cheering for Saeko (just not in the getting with Sota sense). I want Saeko to realize her worth. I was disheartened to hear that her husband forbids her from working outside the home and how much Saeko's mother/friend told her to accept that way of life. I also love Olivier. :) So far, so good. Can't wait for next week!*
^ Erena x Souta (for me)
Ep 4 thoughts in white

*I'm still loving this, but I did fee like it slowed down a little this ep. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I felt a little more of the seriousness of the show in this ep. I could really feel the pain of the unrequited love. Ugh, everyone's in love with someone who is love with someone else.*
I really loled with RIcdor on ep 4 ^^ Maybe I'll start shipping Shouta x Rikudou now hehehe
It's actually quite common in Japan for women to stay in the home after marriage. I read a statistic that said as much as 70% of women stay at home. Plus companies aren't willing to hire women, because it is traditional to quit their job after marriage, and married women may quit or go on maternity leave after having a child. Also, companies tend not to be accommodating to women who've had children while still employed; it isn't uncommon for them to be terminated. So companies avoid this by not hiring women in the first place. Saeko not being employed might be a cultural thing instead of her husband being an ass...but yeah it's unfortunate that he forbids her from seeking work outside the home. Japanese society seems to be rooted in traditional gender roles.
lillith wrote: I really loled with RIcdor on ep 4 ^^
Maybe I'll start shipping Shouta x Rikudou now hehehe

haha yea...
Panda-san wrote: It's actually quite common in Japan for women to stay in the home after marriage. I read a statistic that said as much as 70% of women stay at home. Plus companies aren't willing to hire women, because it is traditional to quit their job after marriage, and married women may quit or go on maternity leave after having a child. Also, companies tend not to be accommodating to women who've had children while still employed; it isn't uncommon for them to be terminated. So companies avoid this by not hiring women in the first place. Saeko not being employed might be a cultural thing instead of her husband being an ass...but yeah it's unfortunate that he forbids her from seeking work outside the home. Japanese society seems to be rooted in traditional gender roles.

yea, it seems to be common in dramas. But there may be something to the husband too. He probably thinks that he will be looked down upon if people find out that his wife works, like they might think that he's not as successful as he is.
Panda-san wrote: It's actually quite common in Japan for women to stay in the home after marriage. I read a statistic that said as much as 70% of women stay at home. Plus companies aren't willing to hire women, because it is traditional to quit their job after marriage, and married women may quit or go on maternity leave after having a child. Also, companies tend not to be accommodating to women who've had children while still employed; it isn't uncommon for them to be terminated. So companies avoid this by not hiring women in the first place. Saeko not being employed might be a cultural thing instead of her husband being an ass...but yeah it's unfortunate that he forbids her from seeking work outside the home. Japanese society seems to be rooted in traditional gender roles.

yea, it seems to be common in dramas. But there may be something to the husband too. He probably thinks that he will be looked down upon if people find out that his wife works, like they might think that he's not as successful as he is.
I liked episode four. I do feel sorry for Saeko because her husband doesn't seem to be very nice (the little that we've seen of him - and yes, this is not the first drama where a married woman does not work, but it's sad that the husband says he forbids her to do things), but on the other hand, she seems to have gotten married on a whim... like, "yeah, marriage seems like fun and appropriate"... I don't really know what to think about her, except that she is not happy.

Sota though, he doesn't know this about her. Actually, I sort of like how his lovely fairy, his pretty muse, actually makes him happier by being unavailable. He's making her even more into an idol, an image. (Suffering makes his art better...) So in a way, he's getting farther and farther away from Saeko as a woman, sort of replacing her with the image of her. All the time when he was in France, she was just a dream, but now that she actually does want him as a woman (because she does, right?), he barely feels anymore that he wants to try to get her. It's not "I have to make chocolate because I love her", but "I have to love her because I make chocolate". I like it...

...And I don't feel like I know where I want this to end! Except for Olivier/Matsuri. They'll make a good couple. Right now, I suspect that there's something going on with that boyfriend of hers. More than him being together with her friend, I mean!

There was not a lot of Erena in this episode. I had expected, I don't know, something more, somehow, to come out of the meeting with her crush. Also, I feel a bit sorry for Rikudou, because he seems to think Sota is gay. :(
lily_b wrote: I liked episode four. I do feel sorry for Saeko because her husband doesn't seem to be very nice (the little that we've seen of him - and yes, this is not the first drama where a married woman does not work, but it's sad that the husband says he forbids her to do things), but on the other hand, she seems to have gotten married on a whim... like, "yeah, marriage seems like fun and appropriate"... I don't really know what to think about her, except that she is not happy.

Sota though, he doesn't know this about her. Actually, I sort of like how his lovely fairy, his pretty muse, actually makes him happier by being unavailable. He's making her even more into an idol, an image. (Suffering makes his art better...) So in a way, he's getting farther and farther away from Saeko as a woman, sort of replacing her with the image of her. All the time when he was in France, she was just a dream, but now that she actually does want him as a woman (because she does, right?), he barely feels anymore that he wants to try to get her. It's not "I have to make chocolate because I love her", but "I have to love her because I make chocolate". I like it...

...And I don't feel like I know where I want this to end! Except for Olivier/Matsuri. They'll make a good couple. Right now, I suspect that there's something going on with that boyfriend of hers. More than him being together with her friend, I mean!

There was not a lot of Erena in this episode. I had expected, I don't know, something more, somehow, to come out of the meeting with her crush. Also, I feel a bit sorry for Rikudou, because he seems to think Sota is gay. :(

Yes to this! I think he is in love with the idea of Saeko and not Saeko herself.
I liked episode 4 too, makes me laugh like the other ones, and even cry.
i don't know if some things can be considered as spoilers, so i'm putting everithing in white :
* I do agree with most of previous MDLers concerning Shota's fancies, it's more like he is chasing the girl he loved back in the past than the real woman in front of him. I first thought he was a mere stupid guy with an unrequited love. but reading you and watching him in this episode make me wonder: still believing her unreachable is more comfortable for him than facing reality, and being disappointed by a real relationship or facing the truth of not being loved by the one you love (is it clear?). he kind of needs to aim higher and higher in his professional field in order to not face reality in his private life. Until when can he fool himself like that?
I do agree with Joe concerning the husband. though the preview of next episode makes me wonder if there isn't more to expect. Nevertheless, he stays a despicable man in my eyes, his point of view seems so outdated.
Though I didn't like Erena that much in the first episode, i'm starting to really adore her now. I find this character really refreshing. i think i will bet on her for Shota.
episode 4 was somehow disappointing regarding the story (i was anticipating) between Inoue and Sekiya. I was expecting so much more. the diner was lame, the pretext was despicable but her deciding to go there knowing the circumstances makes it even more hard to watch. It gave us at least a touching moment of self introspection. I do understand well how painful her situation can be (as well as Olivier's one, though he has a so much more positive way to face it). I also like the way the drama is able to show how Inoue can go from an extreme to the other with her "relationship" with Shota (expecially at the end of the episode). Him being clueless about her feelings and being overly surprised by her way of life only lead her into more despair (maybe the word is a little strong).

@Panda-san : about the Japanese society being rooted in its tradition, I cannot agree more. I was surprised last year reading a poll where 51% of high school girls were planning of becoming housewives and breeding their children instead of studying. No offense meant there, but I was expecting a far higher rate of girls wanting to have a professionnal life.
@SumiThe Cat: I agree with you, you said it very well! (Sometimes I feel like my words don't come out right *lol*) Especially the dinner part! But... this was only episode four, so who knows where things are going!

51%? Wow. I get that it's a cultural thing, yes... but it's just fascinating how it is so different from where I'm coming from. I know one woman who is a housewife (and has been ever since she had her first child; they're now all over 20, but she did study and work before) and the first time I met her - it was with a group of people - she was a bit embarrassed and almost made excuses for it. That's how rare it is here for women not to have a professional life. I think most men would be kind of upset if their wife said she didn't want to work. (Unless there are reasons why she can't, of course!) But of course, the society as a whole is different from what Panda-san describes. It would be the same here if companies could avoid hiring women or terminate them for getting pregnant. Most women take a long maternity leave and then get back to work; many men also take a few months paternity leave and I suppose Japanese men don't do that very often. It's just, you know, interesting how things are different...
SumiTheCat wrote: planning of becoming housewives and breeding their children

What's with that word choice? These are real women we're talking about, not domesticated *****es in heat.
SumiTheCat wrote:

@Panda-san : about the Japanese society being rooted in its tradition, I cannot agree more. I was surprised last year reading a poll where 51% of high school girls were planning of becoming housewives and breeding their children instead of studying. No offense meant there, but I was expecting a far higher rate of girls wanting to have a professionnal life.

My apologies!

seems my memory is quite bad. just found the poll I was talking about, and in fact 51% were not concerning high school girls. men and women answered the poll, and it refers to how they see the repartion of tasks in family: man earning money and woman dealing with family matters. 51% of Japanese seem to agree with this. the article only says that this schema is gaining popularity within young people and women, but there's no rate for this last statement.
Sorry for the mistake, though it shows once again that Japan society is stuck in its traditions.

@femmedesneiges : i don't really understand your complaint cause i didn't meant that kind of interpretation, but i'm sorry if my words have offended you or any other MDLer. English is not my first laguage and I'm often using words that are not really appropriate.